Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

Well done on you 31 minutes non stop Beachball, and good on you for upping the pace over the last km, that’ll help you to train to run faster when you up the pace when your legs are getting tired.

Hope they sort your Garmin out Thomas, doesn’t hurt to go out for an untimed run every now and again mind. I think we can get a little too tied up with pace and times etc, especially me. I think its good to just leave the watch at home sometimes and just run.

Good to hear you’ve recovered from Sunday Grendel, after the Ilminster 10k I won’t be entering anything until my March half marathon unless I can find a decent 10 miler in between. I’ll be hoping to up my total mileage over the winter and increase my long runs to around 2 hours.

Moonlight

, I’m not sure about a time for Ilminster, last years winning time was 37:13 suggesting this isn’t the easiest 10k around! Based on that another sub 60 may be settled for but we’ll see how the training goes during October before I make a decision on a target time. I may email the club to ask for a course map and some info as theres no mention of the race details on their site. Oh, Happy Bithday!!! A long sleeve running top eh? No excuses for missing runs on cold days now then!

First run of the week tonight and my easy runs seem to have got very long! 5 mile easy run the schedule said! 5 bloody miles? Well, they’re done now, nice and steady in 53:17 in the pitch black. Used my head torch for the first time in a while and was very grateful for it.

Week 5

Month – 13

2011 - 273.29

• Options
    I've not sent the Garmin away yet. I used it for last nights club session as the display is still readable. I'll need to get it sent off soon. Session last night was first one with the seniors and similar to to the last group but more intervals and less recovery. I didn't do quite as much as the others, I'm not doing enough running to safely do the whole sessions so the coach will give me slightly less than the others for the time being.

Left calf was a bit tender last night so I iced it and it's a bit better to day. It just feels tight now so more ice and maybe a couple of days rest depending on how it feels tomorrow. My calves are always the first thing to go. I maybe need to work on strengthening my glutes etc.
  • Options
    Beachball, it really is a small world at times image we may have shared a train, although as I live near the campus rather than commuting it's a little less likely. How are you finding the uni/course so far, if you don't mind me asking? If you ever need a hand around Norwich, just let me know.

Just Run: 5 miles is indeed a long old way, but it's a testament to how far you've come along the road to full recovery that those distances are a regular fixture in your schedule now. Well done on negotiating the dark, too! A course map probably wouldn't be a bad idea depending on the area, or you could pick up an OS map if you know the rough area and see what the lay of the land is? Either way, I'm sure you'll be set by the time the race rolls around image and thanks, no excuses indeed, other than rapidly advancing age! Though you'll all probably roast me for talking like that at 24...

Thomas: Good job on reining it in on the club sessions for now, sounds like a sensible plan and if the coach is on board with it then all the better. Keep at it, seems like you're making excellent progress. I think strengthening the glutes would definitely help just based on the stabilisation factor, though I'm no expert.

T'was a session of brutality in the gym for me today, but it's my final one before I have a test run next Tuesday - a full further six days off should, in theory, give me the platform I need to finally start running again. The foot feels considerably stronger than it did, but still isn't quite there yet, and a premature return would cause more problems in the long run.
  • Options
    Moonlight, I hope you're back to running soon!

I decided to give training a miss tonight as my calves were still a little tight from Tuesday (lactate threshold session). I did consider going but then I remembered how shit it was being injured for those 3 months and thought better of it. No need to risk it. I'll do an easy run tomorrow and Saturday and that will me for the week. I went to the gym tonight instead.
  • Options

Glad the foots feeling stronger Moonlight, and yes, you will get a roasting for claiming you're getting on at 24, i was your age during the last millenium! And i'm sure one or two who've been on here could out do me! Sounds like you're being very sensible about your foot, wise beyond your years, clearly. image

Sounds a wise decision from you too Thomas, absolutely no point in risking injury, i wish i'd been alittle more sensible in the past.

Another easy 5.36 miles tonight as i have promised the wife i will run with her tomorrow as she wants me to put her through her first speedwork session. I ran from home into town and down to the sports centre before catching a lift home with the wife and kids who were already in town. I know i was taking it easy but this definately felt just that, the most enjoyable run i've had in some time.

Week 10.36

Month – 18.36

2011 - 278.65

• Options

Thanks Moonlight, early days and quite strange being a fresher at 38 but I am really enjoying the course (Culture,Lit, Politics) and have just about got my bearings round the uni. Do you ever use the running track? The facilities at the Sportspark look very good. Which year/course are you doing?

Very pleased with last night's run. 4.7km in 31min 20sec without stopping. What a difference a week makes, from 29 degrees to now strong winds...  Km splits were  7.01, 6.29, 6.42, 6.34 and all being well I am entering my first Parkrun Saturday week..

Happy running all.

• Options

How do you comment on all the posts after a few days away - here goes - good luck on tuesday with your run Moonlight - though do take it easy best to be cautious although you have obviously kept fit from your gym sessions. Same to you Thomas - probably best only to do one club session per week until you are recovered as you say to be out injured is a nightmare and you don't want to put yourself out by being to over enthusiastic - one question is there a group at your club that just go out running rather than doing the interval sessions? that may be an alternative.

Rather think I can beat your 24 in the last millennium Just Run but without revealing to much about me I started running at 23 and am intending to do the Brentwood Half Marathon in 2013 which will be the 30th anniversary of my first one!! leave anyone interested to do the maths!!  Met up with a former club mate on Sunday, a guy called Pat Dobbs - he is now 73, has had two minor strokes still beat me over 10K  - he is a member of the London Ever Present brigade having run all 31 and ran 3:49 in April - he continues to be an inspiration to a lot of us aged people!!!

Finally I have got to you Beachball well done on another 31 minute run and well done on what looks like a very consistent paced run given the windy conditions, and as you say what a difference a week makes. You will storm your parkrun!!

Well week has gone OK have alternated between 3 and 4 miles since Tuesday and seem to have finally recovered from the 10K on Sunday (in time to taper for next weeks 5 mile race!!!)  am in two minds about having a week off afterwards - part of me thinks it is the right thing to do, and part of me thinks the whole point of the exercise in the first place was to lose some weight (another 7lbs to go)  probably won't to be honest but will just carry on doing 3/4 miles runs and no speed work until the start of November and then to train for the Braintree 5 mile race in March!!  But am happy to be running though!!!

Great weekend everyone and happy running image

• Options

Well done on another 30 minutes + non stop run Beachball, good luck with the parkrun. It'll be a doddle for you.image

I know what you mean about trying to keep up with the posts when you've been away for a few days Grendel, i'm often moaned at for the amount of time i spend reading this thread, but its such a great motivator when others are putting the miles in. I was thinking of having a few days off after the Taunton 10k but wanted to keep going rather than stop and slope back to my old ways of slouching on the sofa every evening.

Today was a speedwork session, which the wife was really not looking forward to but i think it went extremely well. We did 5 miles in total with 3 x 800m in 4:04 and 400m recovery jogs. We did all 3 intervals at sub 8m/m and although it wasn't easy i was confidently striding along, never for one moment doubting i would do each one inside the target time. During the last interval we had to stop for around 10 seconds to let an old couple past and we still did it in 3:56. The other splits were 3:49 (7:42 pace) and 3:56 (7:55 pace). 8 mile long run on Sunday to complete a 23 mile+ week!

Week 15.37

Month – 23.37

2011 - 283.66

• Options
    3 miles tonight which felt fine.

Grendel - I've had a brief chat with the coach and he did say that he will give me sessions I can cope with. When he asked how much running I do he told me straight off that it wasn't enough to do the full sessions. I've to give him more detailed information about my running next week and I'll see where it goes from there. There are a couple of guys in the group that are at a similar level. My options are open regarding what groups I go to and when. There is a road runners group, a jogging group or the group I came from.

Just Run - well done on your speed session there.

Beachball - good luck for your Parkrun !
  • Options

NIce 8 mile LSR along the canal with the wife this morning. Beautiful conditions, cool with a very light drizzle to stop you getting too warm. We chatted the whole way and although the pace was easy the whole time it definately felt more comfortable, i think the quicker sessions are starting to pay dividends for sure. I upped the pace over the last half mile to a fast but comfortable pace, not realising until i downloaded my run that the pace was sub 8m/m, not bad after 7 1/2 miles! A lovely cup of tea was just the reward, funny how the simple things taste so good after a long run.

Week 23.37

Month – 31.37

2011 - 291.66

• Options

Thanks for the kind words guys. Well done on that pace to finish today Just run, very impressive. I see you are about to break through the 300 miles for  the year this week, hats off for that too mate.

Really enjoyed tonight's run (not just because it got me out of the house when the outlaws were visiting)

4.7km (no stopping) in 32mins. Splits were 7.04, 6.35, 7.03, and 6.44. Did find it a little tough for a stretch in the middle but then seemed to find a second wind and finished relatively strongly I felt.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

• Options

Thomas - sounds like your coaches have got it taped there for you - you mention a road running section at the club - perhaps one of the nights you go down there you could go out with them.

Well done Just run 8 miles sounds a long way - it is nice to you can share some of these runs with Mrs Just Run too!!!  and to run sub 8 for the last part awesome!!!

Beachball - will have to remember that one to go out when in laws visit - think I would have to go out for a lot longer than 32 minutes!!!!  - Looking at your run, you went from 7.04 to 6.35 which perhaps explains why you felt it was a little tough in the middle, but when you slowed it was only slightly and you obviously rallied at the end too so well done you!!!!

Weekend was OK - Saturday I did a 4 miles which equated to an average of 8:58 which I was quite pleased with - but struggled on the 5 miles I did Sunday - thought I might actually because when I got up really didn't feel like doing much - got into it a bit - but it is so dark now an miserable in the mornings - Am now tapering again for Sunday's 5.  I did  2 miles this morning - which averaged about 10 minute mile pace - but it was very windy again and I purposely didn't try and push the pace along.

Oh well happy days

• Options

WTF  wnet striging along the road this morning, 150 yards dwon turned a corner and Bam - straight into a headwind off the sea - almost stopped - revised my idea of a session of 10 times a minute - and opted for a gentle jog - the pleasing thiing was that even into the wind the garmin was reading 9:27 so not to bad and just ran for 30 minutes (3.23 miles)  -   5 mile race Sunday so some gentle jogging each morning from now on (maybe some strides if the wind drops)  And make sure that I shake the sand from my trainers!!!

• Options

I've had some time off with prostate trouble, i have'nt run much

i go to Abingdon marathon this weekend feeling like a newbie

• Options
    ^ are you actually racing? Best of luck if so, and glad you're back in the game after the prostate trouble too. image

Grendel, excellent running and you seem like you're in great condition for this 5 miler too. I can't imagine what it must be like running into that sort of coastal headwind on a frequent basis, it must steel you for anything! Well done on continuing to get out there and put the miles in. Did you mention you might be running the race with your nephew, or am I going slightly mad? Thanks for the advice too, I've actually decided to relent on the run today due to not being fully confident in my foot being healed - I'm due to play squash tomorrow so we'll see how that goes, if I play at all. Must remain patient.

Just Run, that 23 mile week is fantastic, and pre-emptive congratulations for the 300 up, quite the distance! Could you have imagined it at the start of 2011? And though I think you overrate my wisdom (I am being driven barmy by the lack of running, after all...), thanks all the same! I hope to be back by next week at the very latest, just want to make absolutely sure that I don't do any further damage by running too soon.

Thanks Thomas, same here and I'm sure it won't be long now. How're your sessions going, and which club group do you think you're leaning towards - are they quite fluid (ie, you can shift between groups on a weekly basis)?

Beachball, cracking work on the runs - how're you feeling about the upcoming parkrun? I'll probably be out there cheering on the various runners, so I hope it goes well for you. Glad to hear that you're enjoying the course too, sounds like a varied one! Which politics modules are you taking, if you don't mind me asking? The facilities are great (have a wander around there sometime!), and I do use the track when not injured, as I train with the athletics club at the university on a weekly basis - you'd be more than welcome to come along yourself, although the track's also available to the public. And I'm taking Modern History (2nd year) with some modules in US Studies and politics, good fun. Hope you continue to get settled in at the campus image

Keep at it guys! image
  • Options

moonlight

not race pace as such, it'll be seeking 5 hours or summut

• Options

Hiya MicknPhil hope Abingdon goes easy easy easy for you and Phil (I'm sure it will!!!!) .

Just get out there Moonlight when you feel ready and confident  - absolutely no point in setting yourself back at this late stage, rather err on the side of caution now  I'm not running the 5 with my nephew, we did a 10k 'together' at Southend Sunday before last - and unlike March when he finished 5 minutes in front of me over 5 miles, 6 months more training and I was over 6 minutes in front of him, (and a couple of times I stopped for him to make sure he got water too!!!)  Revenge was sweet, especially as he was up for it to beat his old uncle again!!!!  Next time we run 'together' will be March again!!!

Not bad for an oldie!!!!

Happy days 

• Options
    Grendel - Good luck for your race on Sunday. The road runners routes are usually 7ish miles and usually at a pace which would be too fast for me to be a training run. A friend of mines runs with them and his run on Thursday was 7.68 miles @ 7:37 avg. Pace aside though, my longest run since starting again is only 7 miles.

Moonlight - I hope your foot is on the mend and you're back out there soon.

Micknphil - Good luck for your marathon!

Since training last Tuesday, I took Wednesday & Thursday off, did 3 miles Friday, Saturday off, 3miles Sunday. My calves were OK during those runs but a little sore after them so I went in to full on panic mode and rested yesterday and will give training a miss tonight. I'm going to do 3 miles tomorrow morning and see how it goes. That was only 14 miles last week. I really want to just run more and what I'm doing now isn't helping that. My own enthusiasm is my worst enemy.

I need to make a couple of changes; I'm going back to the group I was in and possibly only even go once a week so I can safely build up mileage. I'll go back to the seniors at a later date. I think these calf problems are also not being helped by lower back pain / tightness / poor flexibility. Thinking about it, I've been neglecting my back stretches recently.

• Options

Thomas - I'm no expert but perhaps the time has come to listen to what your coach is saying -  I know you enjoy the speed work but it almost seems that the speed work is getting in the way of your actual running - I was reading an interview with Charlotte Purdoe who runs for Aldershot and Farnham and was out for 4 months during the summer - she is now back and fit and she mentioned that she had done no specific speed work (despite running the days fastest time at the Southern Area relays) but her coach had got her on a mixture of steady and tempo runs.  Perhaps you need to get the base work done over the next few months to get your self fit for the speedwork the club are doing.  (of course if you are  a sprinter then I am talking bollo*ks!!!) - Can't comment on the stretching - as apart from some hamstring stretches in the swimming pool once a week don't do any!!!

Well the wind had dropped this morning so I went and did my 10 times one minute off one minute session which was easier now with my garming thingy up and running as it beeps at the end of each effort - whereas on the stop watch it is to dark to see!! DId it nice and relaxed and enjoyed it -

Happy days!!!!image

• Options
    Grendel - Yes, that's pretty much what I've decided. It has to be done.

4 miles this morning at an easy pace; I didn't time it.

3 or 4 tomorrow afternoon then 7 Saturday. Gym tonight for some upper body / core work.

In other news, I'm looking forward to the cold, crisp winter mornings and hopefully some cross country in the snow so I ordered some gear for the impending winter, including a Buff. Wish I'd had one of these last winter, definitely my new favourite bit of kit, even though I've not used it yet.
  • Options

A nice very easy 3.23 this morning just over 30 minutes - raining and a slight easterly wind which was the reverse of the last few days -

(seem to be developing a cold though - not good )

• Options

Grendal - how de

i'm not that good with it

it's hanging on in the throat and temples

• Options

Thomas

please excuse me saying this - it's meant in the nicest possible way

but if one does'nt listen to their coach, is there any point in having one

wishing u well always 

• Options
    mick take it easy at Abingdon!!
  • Options

hi mate

ohh trust me - i need to and intend to

IF, and it's only an if - i'm not sure i simply wont run

• Options
    I've got a 5 miler - will still do that - but as I am a lot slower now than 12 years ago no pressure on me at all these days (except self imposed)
  • Options

Grendal

i think your spot on

just enjoy it and savour it

i'm under no pressure -

• Options

Mick'n'phil - I think you have picked up the wrong end of the stick at some point. This is what happened.

I had been in the introductory group for a few weeks and it was suggested that I go along to one of the training sessions with the seniors to see how I got on.   I went along last Tuesday and had a brief chat with the coach of that group who told me that I did not do enough running to take part in all of the training that they do which was fine, I already knew that and there are others in the group in the same boat. He suggested I see how I felt with it and maybe do 4 or 5 intervals while most of the others were doing 7. That was fine and I did 5. At the end of the session he asked me how I felt it had went and if I wanted to go back, as this was basically a taster to see if I wanted to train with them. I told him that I would be back on the Thursday and he told me then to give him more details about my running so he could give me feedback on my training / suitable sessions. They would still be with his group but at a level I would be able to cope with, similar to what a few others in the group do.   The day after that, I had pretty sore calves which would suggest that my legs weren't ready for that yet.  So, I've decided to go back to the introductory group as their sessions are not hard but I do enjoy going along to training.  I'll go once a week so that I can safely build up mileage.   At this time, I haven't been told anything by anyone that I haven't listened to.   I should have made this clearer.  image

Phew...... and breathe.

• Options

Moonlight- I'm doing Globalizing world this semester and Big Brother. I am really enjoying it even if the days are long with commuting. The lecturers and facilities are fantastic and I am so glad I firmed uea now.  I will certainly think about joining the club when my standard improves. Modern History sounds very interesting, I have a mate who I did the Access course with last year doing Lit and History.

Welcome Mick and good luck.

Good luck Grendel, I am sure you will enjoy it.

I am not sure if I have done the right thing but I have decided to have this week off in preparation for Saturday's Parkrun.  I have been training since 1st Aug so thought  5 days off before Sat wont do me any harm. I am quite nervous really as I know it is only a 5km Parkrunbut its my first official race in any capacity.

I am also worried how I will cope with the early start (for me anyway) but its good as the wife needs to be at work for 11, so will cheer me on then go to work..image

• Options

Glad you could still breathe after that post Thomas - Not my business of course but I do think you are doing the right thing -

Beachball thanks for the wishes and you too good luck at the parkrun!!!   I am looking forward to it on Sunday just a bit disapointed in going down with a cold - touch wood my colds don't normally last long so it may be on the way out sunday -

I did try and sweat it out this morning - went out for a couple of miles and wore the wet weather gear despite it being quite warm. not  sure if that would work.

Happy days