Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options
    Thomas, I was going to ask you what a 'buff' was, but then found out yesterday when my housemate showed me one that he'd bought! Absolute peach of an idea, must be great in the wind.

Beachball, those modules sound interesting, particularly Globalising World! Hope that you continue to enjoy it all, both academically and with the overall experience - are you signed on for the full three years? Also, regarding the club - if you did ever want to see the standard without testing the waters, they train every Thursday from 5 - 6 on the track, which you can see from the Sportspark cafe. Good luck for the parkrun too - really hope you enjoy the atmosphere and that the run goes well!

Sadly it looks like I could be in trouble, as my foot still hasn't really improved despite the time off. That said, I managed a 2.5k run yesterday, but was forced into heel-striking for most of the distance. The foot was quite painful at times when forefoot running, but the differing strike took the pressure off. I'm going to try the parkrun this weekend as well, heel-striking all the way and aiming to get around in under the half hour mark, see how it goes regarding pain. If I need to switch my running technique over temporarily, I will. It's quite disappointing to say the least, but I guess we all get injuries in this sport and I'll just have to get over it, heh.

Not sure where to go from here though, as pure rest either hasn't done the trick or I didn't rest for long enough. Might need an appointment with the doctor, or something...I don't really know. Well, keep it up guys, and best of luck to everyone racing this weekend (Grendel, Mickn'Phil, Beachball) as well image
  • Options

Moonlight- I have a seminar from 5-6 on a Thurs this semester, typical. I will have a look after christmas perhaps. Yes I am signed up for the 3 year course.

Good luck for the parkrun, I hope the foot holds out for you. If you are aiming for under 30 mins with an injury, you will still be coming home at least 5 mins ahead of my expected time..Lol

Grendel- Damn colds, I hope you  manage to shift it by Sunday.

Happy running all..

• Options

Thanks Beachball, take care of the foot Moonlight,  hope it holds out perhaps changing your footplant may help - what is the foot problem by the way -

And finally I posted this in response to a thread today and received a reply via the messaging service email thingy.

Why I run!!

I used to train with a guy who was a sub 2:30 marathoner - we both trained hard (although I never reached his dizzy heights) and I remember another club runner asking - 'what is it like to be so fit?' his answer was simple - your'e tired, all the time tired - you go to bed exhausted and wake up tired and that goes on day after day.

But at the end of it - it isn't about how you feel today or tomorrow or yesterday even, it is how you feel when you reach the finish - the time you take to run a race, or the position you finish in (or even the cheers from your 8 year old son as he watches you run past in the Southend 10K - the first time he has ever seen you run)

We run because it is the greatest sport in the world

• Options

Did a nice gentle 2 miles this morning - cold has settled in now so hope it will be gone by tomorrow - I could have given this morning a miss but the way my so spoke to me this morning, it was either to go out and cool down or smack him - and I am not a dad who has done that very often so a nice easy run on a nice moonlit morning was required .......................big time.

Happy Days   image

• Options

Well done on the self restraint Grendel, I thought it was just my kids who drove me to the edge of despair sometimes

Well I did it image. My first Parkrun in 32.11....Yippee, I am so chuffed with that. It was so cold as well (I had to de-ice the car before we left, no joke)

Splits were 6.36, 6.38, 6.43, 6.35 and a stong finish of 5.?? (although this is questionable as my app only registered the run at 4.96km) but anyway that is all besides the point really.

I had a great time, the support is amazing and it was nice to be in the company of 250+ people who all share the love of running.

How did you get on Moonlight, did the foot hold out?

• Options

beachball I guess all kids do but at 6 o'clock in the morning - when I have to try and keep him quiet due to wife sleeping ( we live in a bungalow and some other stuff which I won't bore you with) it was very difficult.

Well done in the parkrun you are right to feel proud of yourself, and it has made me feel better about tomorrow too!! Still have cold but nothing serious, but for the first time since my 'starting again from the beginning!'  I am on my own tomorrow - the last two I have done I had my nephew with me and am feeling a bit nervous about not having someone to talk to - still will be fine I know -

So 5 miles tomorrow!!

Happy Days  image

• Options
    Get stuck in there Grendel, hope it goes well and very best of luck to you! I'm sure you'll be fine on the day, even without the company image let us know how you get on!

That's a great overall reply too. 'Or even the cheers from your 8 year old son as he watches you run past in the Southend 10K - the first time he has ever seen you run' - I love this part, thanks for posting it up. Very inspirational.

Well done beachball, smashing time and a very consistent run by the looks of it! Excellent morning for you image glad you enjoyed the overall experience, it was definitely great to see 250+ people getting out on a freezing morning to cheer each other on as well as run. Must be nice to get an official time on the board, too. Will you be coming back in the future at some stage, d'you reckon? Shame you can't make the Thursday sessions as well, but as you say maybe next semester. Well done again for today!

The foot held up pretty well, thank you for asking - heel striking feels bizarre to me so it was weird doing it for 5k, but it buffered the injury nicely and may even help in the long run by strengthening the front of my feet. I managed 26:44 at any rate, a bit faster than I wanted but it was a solid run. As for the foot injury itself Grendel, just inflammation of a tendon I think, but I'm a bit concerned that a full four weeks off didn't cure it. Might see a doctor about it...
  • Options

Grendel -   Hope your 5 miler was good today.

Beachball - Well done, Parkrun is great isn't it.  Good to know it's there every Sarurday.  I like how it's not a full on race and the atmosphere isn't super competitive.

Moonlight - Well done too. Not so good about the foot but it does sound like it is on the mend.

I played it safe this week and only did 4 miles on Wednesday and 6 on Saturday.  I thought for a while that I maybe had a very slight calf strain so I took a couple of extra days off.  I get paranoid at every little twinge nowadays.  Turns out everything is fine; during my 6 miler yesterday it felt a little tight for the first mile but it loosened up and was fine for the rest of the run and for the rest of the day. No complaints today either. 

Gym today.  5 miles tomorrow.

• Options
    On very very quickly to report back - despite feeling cr*p and very nearly didn't go - I decided to go anyway - and ran..................  41.20  - well pleased with that!!!!
  • Options

Cold seems to have settled in now - but luckily it is not one of those that leave you feeling really rough, so went off this morning for a 2 mile recovery jog, which I will probably repeat a few times this week as my body may not know what has hit it - two races in two weeks - before starting to train for the Braintree 5 mile race at the end of March - (unless I can find something else to do between now and then - although not actively looking)

• Options

Well done Grendel. Shame about the cold but at least it seems not to be a bad one.

5 miles today at a steady pace in heavy rain.   I like running in the rain. 

• Options

Well seem to have recovered OK although cold hanging on a bit - did 3.25 miles this morning despite my promise to myself that I would only do 2 this week  enjoyed it too in a bizarre its freezing and windy sort of way!!!!-

Have now done 99 miles since the 19th September and have reached the A1 just north of Huntingdon on my virtual run from Clacton to John O Groats  (silly I know but keeps me entertained!!)

• Options
    Well done on the time over the weekend Grendel, you must be chuffed! Hope that cold shifts soon. And keep striding away Thomas, all those steady pace runs will surely help protect against injury in the long term.

Took to the streets for an easy 2.5k today, not very far but I'm basically building my mileage back up again from the start - due to adopting heel striking, for now. My fitness is still largely there, and will remain so thanks to the gym, but the 'running fitness' needs to be reconstructed. My foot didn't hurt, but the downside is that it's still injured and I can't really rest it since I can't avoid walking. I'll just try and maintain it whilst getting out a few times per week...

I hope Just Run's okay as well, haven't seen him in a while?
  • Options

Well chuffed Moonlight - well done on getting out there - do be careful though as when you try and change your footplant, you are using your muscles in a slightly different way and they have to get used to the new postion.  You probably know that!!!

Just Run has been very quiet for a few days -

Did 4 miles this monring - was actually only going to to do 2 but got carried away - it was a lovely but very cold morning though and was going along at sub 9 minute mile pace for the last couple of miles

Happy days!!

• Options

Moonlight - you'll get there.

Easy to get carried away when it's so nice outside Grendel.  Perfect weather for running today.

I'm off work  so I did my long run:    7 miles  in 59:57.   Great run, no niggles or anything afterwards. I actually feel like I haven't even been out a run.  Rest tomorrow then 3 on Friday and Saturday to give me 18 for the week. 

• Options

Moonlight- Yes I will definetly be doing more Parkruns it's just a case of whether the wife needs the car for work. Keep doing what you can, like the others have said though, just be careful.

Grendel- well done at the weekend, glad it came together for you and I hope that cold has gone. Regarding the John O'Groats run just becareful that A1 can get a bit busy around Huntingdon...LOLimage

Thomas- Solid 7 miler yesterday. Glad you felt so good afterwards.

I echo the comments above, hope all is well Just run.

I felt a bit sore after my Parkrun so hadn't been out again until yesterday. Just over 5km in a steady 34 mins. Tried to keep it simple and managed splits of 6.49, 6.45, 6.38, 6.57, and 6.40.  Very happy with that and now have to steadily try and build up my distance in preparation for the Ely 10k on New Year's Eve.. 

I would love to be able to do it in under an hour.

Keep up the good work all.

• Options

Hi Beachball - thanks - the  cold is still hanging on - maybe if I had a few days of not running but why bother - cold not to bad and feel like I am on a roll - BUT am not actually training for anything at the moment as next week being a bit hit and miss as it is half term and will not be able to run either Monday or Friday - so will start back training for a 5 mile race in March - where it all began this year - with a view to beating 38 minutes  (someone I used to know in the old days is still running the same sort of times that he did 12 years ago and he couldn't get even close to me then so I want to get in front of him - what I discovered last Sunday about me is that although I am not competivie in day to day life - pin a number on and I am still as competitive as ever!!)

4 miles this morning on a clear frosty morning the stars still twinkling and the sea gently lapping the beach (and wearing a pair of socks on my hands as can't find any gloves!!)

Happy days  image

• Options
    Are you planning on maybe taking it easy next week then, Grendel, in preparation for pushing on with your training for that March race? Might be a good shout if you have a cold, plus having just run a rapid 5 mile! 38 minutes would be a huge improvement, but I bet you can manage it with a straight 5 months of running ahead of you. Definitely good to have a healthy competitive spirit! image

Beachball, that's good to know - and hopefully you won't have to de-ice the car next time around! I am hearing rumours of -20 Celsius lows within a few weeks though, which is a bit of a grim prospect for any of us braving the Saturday mornings. And thanks, I feel like I should be able to strike a balance without injuring myself further.

I went out on a 4k evening run today, wrapped up extensively against the cold and managed 5:51km, which is my easy pace. A bit harder than expected probably due to utilising different muscle groups as Grendel said, but I feel like I've adapted to the heelstrike surprisingly well all things considered. My quads were shrieking due to squash and gym sessions yesterday, and the front of my left foot was tight, but otherwise no issues. Very pleased to get a solid run on the board, even if it's only 4k...!
  • Options

Just running for the pelasure of it at the moment but will start training for the march race on 31st October - a long time to March but I need to improve by 3 minutes so it will be worth it

I am guessing that the downside of switching footplant like you have is that you are reducing your stride length and therefore speed - but it iwll be worth it in the short time to be out running again!!!  Well done on the run though and great that you can get out there!!

NIce run this morning, slightly warmer today than yesterday and did 3.2 miles in 27:50 that will do nicely thank you!!! Since the race Sunday seem to have gained some confidence and am running better.

Happy days!!!

• Options

Hello everyone, not had my laptop for a week due to hardware issues, must be all these runs I’m downloading! Will try to catch up, apologies if I miss anything. Thankyou for missing me!

Hope you’re not neglecting those stretches Thomas, I know how you feel, I slip every now and again but I’m soon reminded why I stretch! Good on you for going for an untimed run, I think everyone should leave the watch at home once in a while. I’m looking forward to some cold Sunday morning runs with the leaves crunching under my feet, gives me such satisfaction knowing I’m the first to put some footprints along the tow path. I also like running in the rain, makes me feel like I’ve really made the effort while others are slumped on the sofa. Nice 7 miler by the way.

Beachball, well done on the park run, 250 people eh? that’s a great turn out! For the record, I don’t think a rest does any harm , especially for shorter distances. I find I run well fresh over 2 or 3 miles. Nice even pace you’re running at. I’m sure a sub 60 10k is within your grasp if you keep up the good work.

Hope your foot eases soon Moonlight, I would definitely get an appointment with the doc. Most aren’t trained in sports injuries but will refer you to an NHS physic. Its well worth it, get a proper diagnosis and some stretches/exercises to get you back running pain free. Good on you for altering your running style to keep getting out there.

Grendel, what a great reply, made me feel proud to be part of the running community. Know what you mean with the kids, I find exercise makes me a much calmer parent, although there are times when I would love to give em a good old fashioned clip round the ear. Great time on the 5 miler! What’s this ‘virtual run’, is it a website? Sounds like a bit of fun. Socks on the hands eh? Good idea! I’ve always thought if a cold is from the neck up then run, I only consider resting if its on my chest, and even then usually convince myself I’ll sweat it out.

Hi Mick’n’Phil, hope you are as well as can be. Good to see such a legend of these forums posting on our little thread!

Well, I have a few runs to post. I will try to keep it short. Have blasted through the 300 mile barrier for the year, and very pleased about that too. The next celebration will be 365 miles (one for each day of the year) and hopefully 500+ by the end of December.

Thursday 13 October - 5 mile tempo inc. 1 mile w/up and w/down - 48:17

Friday 14 October - 5 mile easy - 51:41

Sunday 16 October - 9 mile LSR - 1:35:24

Tuesday 18 October - 5 mile easy - 52:52

Friday 21 October - 6 mile tempo inc. 1 mile w/up and w/down - 56:47

Right, that’s it, up to date and 10 miles planned Sunday! Good running all!

Week 11

Month – 61.38

2011 - 321.67

• Options

Welcome back Just Run!! glad all sorted!! 

No , not a virtual website, nothing as sophisticated - I just googled the directions, which I put in a PDF and then created a spreadsheet which I update each time I run!!  Not a bad idea though if I could do websites, might catch on!!! Just my way of keeping track of my mileage.

Nice easy 2.16 this morning - cold seems to be gradually subsiding now.

My wife has injured her foot (no not running) so am now off to do her job for her today - cleaning caravans at a local holdiay park  image

Happy running all

• Options
    Just Run, welcome back! Good to see that you're well image and your mileage is getting seriously impressive on a weekly basis, you'll be storming past 365 in no time...well, probably within a week at this rate! Great job on getting out there, are you feeling quite settled into the longer stuff lately? Thank you for the advice too, I've got an appointment lined up and we'll see where it goes from there, even if it's simply a case of reaching the Christmas break and then trying to take time off. Good to see you're back anyways!

Grendel, it is a bit odd changing, but then again I saw someone steam past me today with a flat-footed stride so all is clearly not lost...! Awesome running, your 3.2 the other day really stood out to me - was that an easy run?! Great job either way! Perhaps we should have a 'SAFBA' group where we all collectively run from London to Rome image very cool way of tracking your overall distance.

Skipped out into the deathly cold for the parkrun again this week, might make it a weekly fixture as it gets my lazy student backside out of bed on a weekend, and it's a good gauge of progress. 5k in 26:04 today, 40 seconds slashed from last week and far more comfortable this time, coasted around at good clip and felt much more at ease with the running action. I feel that I have a lot more left in the tank, but I want to gradually build up to that whilst adjusting to the alternate footplant. I've given myself the unofficial goal of getting under 20:12 for 5k by the time 2012 rolls in! Feeling far more positive of late; I can still run, and with the gym helping me out, who knows?

Have a cracking weekend everybody, and excellent runs all around! image
  • Options

Moonlight - no not easy but it is amazing how much confidence one good race gives you - still along way to go back the old days (if ever) when 27 something for 3 odd miles would have been almost a walk) but I do have that target - my old training buddy ran 29 minute something for 5 miles when I ran 50 in March - so if he can I can!!!

Your target of 20:12 for 2012 sounds seriously impressive

And yes the Run to Rome sounds good!!!

• Options

Glad the colds subsiding Grendel, i have had a bit of a dodgy stomach the last few days which jave definately made my runs a little tougher. I'm sure i've sweated off a few pounds though so not all bad.

Moonlight, thankyou, and yes, i am definately settling into these longer runs. Well done on the parkrun by the way. Good pace there, and good to see you're setting targets. Did 9 miles again this morning and although i found the run tough (it was very hill for the first 4 1/2 miles), i felt better at 8 miles than i did after 4! I really seem to pass a point where my body just settles into a machine like rythmn that feels like it could go on all day, although i know about 30 minutes later it would probably seize up. I love tour idea of the 'Run to Rome'. I used to post on a cycling forum when i thought my running days were finished and i remember some of the lads on there having a cartoon cyclist and a mileage counter under their posts which they updated with each ride. I will look into it and see if i can find something, it would be great to keep us motivated through the winter months.

As i said above, todays long run started with 4 1/2 miles of ups and downs, and didn't i know it too! I was aching a bit after 6 miles but i just seemed to find a bit more each time i felt tired and pushed on through each remaining mile. I'm well aware that i am getting fitter now as i always feel theres that little bit extra left in the tank when i finish. Have gone back to 3 runs each of the last 2 weeks due to other commitments but i'm going to change a couple of my running days from now on to keep it at 4 running days: Monday (evening), Wednesday (e), Friday afternoon and Sunday morning.

Good running everyone....

Week 20.01

Month – 70.39

2011 - 330.68

• Options

Welcome back Just run, It is something I need to do is find a routine as we are about to lose the daylight. Good running  as always.

Moonlight, well done on the Parkrun. I have only been once a missed it yesterday. I even said to the mrs at 9.15 "the winner will be crossing the line now and I would  have been half way" Hoping to make next week.

Grendel, I bought a pair of Karrimor aluminous running gloves for £3.99 in Sport Direct the other day. I was told by my daughter that I look like a _____ but it would solve the socks on hands issue for you.

Went out last night managed 4.7km in 31 mins. Nice and steady and stopped because I was back home rather than run out of steam. I need to find a new route I think. Lol

With winter approaching I am thinking of buying some running tights. Are skins worth the investment or shall I just go for a normal pair. Any advice greatly received guys.

Cheers, Happy running all

• Options

Hi folks. I had a busy weekend of working, partying and sleeping (not enough).

Grendel - have you seen off the last of your cold?

Moonlight - good going on your Parkrun. 20:12 will be a impressive target to hit.

Just Run -  Yes , I've been remembering to stretch more. I've also came to the conclusion that my lower back pain is also a result of muscle imbalance. I work my abs in the gym but haven't been doing any lower back work to counter this so I've been including them in my routine.

Beachball - I just got some Ronhill tracksters for the impending winter. They seem like a good investment. It's not been cold enough to try them yet.    Good running from you too.

Last week ended up a 19 mile week for me.   5 Monday, 7 Wednesday, 4 Friday and 3 Saturday.  I had planned 18 but forgot what I was doing on Friday morning and did 4 instead of 3 then just did 3 on Saturday as the idea of doing 2 didn't sit well.    Everything felt fine; no niggles or anything.

Planning to do 21 this week with my long run being 7 again. I'd like to make it 8 but I've read that your long run shouldn't be more than a third of weekly miles so not sure about that, so this week will look something lke this:

Monday - 5 ( 42mins)

Tuesday - rest

Wednesday - 7

Thursday - rest

Friday - 5

Saturday  or Sunday -  4.

• Options
    Grendel: That is a staggering improvement in such a short time, nine full minutes chipped away...and more to come! I agree, no reason why you can't achieve that goal, especially with your training really coming along as it is. I guess it's all about knuckling down and putting in the hard miles as the cold starts to sweep in now. Keep those wheels motoring image

Edit: Several hours after this post, I spotted your reply in Prefontaine's sub-3 thread over yonder, Grendel. 2:41 is incredible! Do you really think sub-3 is achievable for anyone and not all it's trumped up to be? I always thought it was the virtual pinnacle image

Just Run: That's good to know, and I've encountered a similar phenomenon on my runs, albeit with the 'settling in' period considerably earlier than at four miles! I've dubbed it 'the physiological barrier', although I've no clue whether there's actually anything in it physiologically. It is awesome when you get that machinelike precision going during a run, it feels like everything clicks. And the cartoon cyclist/runner sounds great, thanks for looking around - I'm hopeless with computers so I'd have no clue as how to implement something like that! Well done on your excellent running...

beachball: Thank you, and hopefully you get the chance to attend again soon, time permitting! It is a bit mad to think of the winning time, he flew past us on our second lap, absolutely crazy pace. I'm in Thomas' boat on the tights, I also have a (non skin-tight) pair that seem useful, but the temperature hasn't dived enough yet really. If you can find a decent deal, might be worth a punt? Well done on a very solid 4.7k as well image

Thomas: Thanks, and well done yourself on maintaining the mileage and keeping things sensible with how you're feeling on the day. Hope the weekend was fun too image

Had a 4k last night, 23:34 and comfortable. Still adjusting to the new technique but it's going better than expected. Bit of a test tomorrow, with a 'tempo kilometre' planned during my 5k easy, so if my foot's going to fail at any point then it'll be during that run. Such a long post, I type too much - sorry guys! Keep it rolling ever onward.
  • Options
    Moonlight, I do really believe that sub 3 hours is achievable - It is not easy and took me 4 years of consistently high mileage and hard training. I belonged to a club at the time (was a lot younger) although some of the guys I trained with were vets and was running 70 – 80 miles per week. Twice a week we did what I guess now would have been termed tempo runs, starting at 7 minute miles and ending up sub 6s, and even our Sundays runs (minimum 17 miles max 20 miles) were done well under 7 minute mile pace,  a lot of which were done over the North Downs in Kent – We used to do 6 times a  mile sessions where each mile was done around 5:20 pace and 2 times 3 miles around 16- 17 minutes I would never be so arrogant to say that it is easy – it is not,  it did take a lot of hard work but I and this is the important thing with it – I do not consider I had any real talent for running – other guys I ran with ran quicker times off far less training – in fact when I ran 2:41 the guy I trained with ran 2:29 despite us both doing the same training.

But achievable definitely but it takes hard work and dedication!!!

• Options

Evening everyone, not got much time to type tonight  Moonlight, so just a quick post, will make more effort on my next post i promise. Good to see everyone is getting prepared for winter running, although i'm not sure you'll catch me in a pair of running tights, i just don't have the bum for them!

Nice easy 5 miles tonight along the canal. Really enjoyed the peace and quiet as it had been pouring down all afternoon and scared everyone off, only saw one runner and one dog walker along the way, its very rare the runners outnumber the walkers!

Week 5

Month – 75.39

2011 - 335.68

• Options

8 miles today in 1:10:16, 8:47 avg.  I set off on a route that I could end at 7 or extend to 8 depending on how I felt.  It was a great run, one of those ones where you settle in to a groove and feel like you could run for hours. At the 7 mile mark  I felt good so did the extra mile and felt fine afterwards, I still had more in the tank so that was good. 

I know that 8 miles will be more than a third of my weekly miles at 21 but I've done a couple of 7 milers in the last few weeks and they've both been good so that will do me for long runs; I'll stick at 8 miles for a few weeks and add miles to my other runs.

8 miles left to do this week which will probably be on Friday and Sunday. I'll probably do a 3 and a 5.

Grendel - that's an excellent time and sounds like it was a lot of good hard training.