Options

how many of you got dq for wearing ipods at races

Comments

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

HH - it seems like a long time ago on this thread, but just to respond that I agree that the current pace is utterly useless but do think that the average (lap) pace function can be, and is by many, used quite effectively as a pacing tool in races.  I don't feel strongly enough to make it a point of principle though.

Anyway, the vast majority of ettiquette concerns can be avoided by racing on the track and there also won't be any of rattling of begging cans or dodging people dressed as inflatable penises!

• Options

Moraghan - agree with you there to a much greater extent. Average pace is better though tbh once you're getting mile splits it should just be a case of maintaining the same pace... But yes - have used average pace occasionally.

Will make sure I don't wear my inflatable penis costume if we end up racing a 3k at Watford this year then!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    JWrun wrote (see)
    Hobbling Harrier wrote (see)

JWRun - Winning a race really isn't very impressive as they've been diluted so much - if you pick the right race and just do even the smallest amount of training you can probably win one. Winning a decent race or running a fast time then you've got something to boast about.

This is charmingly elitist, from someone I usally think of as one of the more informed decent posters on here image Shame on you HH.

I think any race win is one to savour. The 3 I've won have all been bootleg affairs, but I enjoyed them none the less.  We can't all be 31min 10k men HH.

Having said that, can't stand ipod wearers in races. Normally it's of no bother as you don't get them in the front pack. At Reading on sunday, there was one chap wearing an ipod, a decent runner, sub 1hr 20 pace who crossed my path without warning at least a couple of times at the last minute.

Felt a little tempted to trip the fool up, and say that's what happens when you can't hear your surroundings...but I'm too nice for that image 

• Options

StevieG - There's nothing wrong with being pleased about it. I'm just saying winning a race isn't particularly impressive in and of itself. It depends on the quality of the race.

You can step outside your door tomorrow and declare "this is a race to the postbox" and sprint there first or do it slightly more officially and file a permit (and get someone to measure the distance to the post box). You (well not you specifically) can enter a run for life and sprint it. You can do a Dean Karnazes and make up your whole own category in a race and claim you've won it.

Winning a race isn't impressive - I've won races and I've finished last. Some of the times I've finished last have been far more impressive than when I won so what's it really worth? You'll not that I didn't once mention that I'm considerably faster - that's irrelevant and you're the one who has brought that up. My comments would be the same whether I was a 34,38,45,52 or 61 minute 10km runner - all of which I've been.

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not elitist - though I do have a much higher opinion of what people can achieve if they push themselves and don't have time for fools. The fact he's using the standard improvement curve as a reason for why running in ipods doesn't prevent you getting your best performance is what's relevant.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ok fair enough. As long as you're not trying to take away my Winchombe 2008 4.7mile win.

That was won in an incredible field of about 60 highly tuned athletes I'll have you know. Some of them even wore club vests. Ok it was just me and my pal actually...

Surely noone can honestly believe you can reach as high a performance wearing an ipod as without. That's bonkers.

Which was probably the main part of this whole thread I've missed. whoops

• Options

If I'm racing I want to hear if anyone is creeping up behind me,  knowing that I am being chased down in a race is motivation to go faster...no good if you are plugged in as you can't hear.

Now how about those mobile phone users in races?  image 

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Ok fair enough. As long as you're not trying to take away my Winchombe 2008 4.7mile win.

That was won in an incredible field of about 60 highly tuned athletes I'll have you know. Some of them even wore club vests. Ok it was just me and my pal actually...

Surely noone can honestly believe you can reach as high a performance wearing an ipod as without. That's bonkers.

Which was probably the main part of this whole thread I've missed. whoops

Yep, clearly bonkers

*Puts down spoon*

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Reading that BDB, she was actually 10mins slower in that race than her pb.

And she only tapped into the ipod near the end apparently.

How they can disqualify the "elite" yet allow everyone else who used an ipod to continue is an odd one too

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dips wrote (see)

If I'm racing I want to hear if anyone is creeping up behind me,  knowing that I am being chased down in a race is motivation to go faster...no good if you are plugged in as you can't hear.

Now how about those mobile phone users in races?  image 

I'm the same Dips. Does anyone else do that thing of passing a marshall, and then listening out for how quickly they speak to the next runner, so you can judge and hope that they're not that close!
  • Options
    How can I do that if I'm listening to Manilow?
  • Options

Stevie - I must admit that I didn't re-read the article, just remembered bits of it from before image

With regards to marshals, am I the only one to never have got any instruction from one?  Encouragement yes, for which I'm grateful and always smile or wave of say thanks, but never an instruction.  And I can hear them because I don't use headphones when racing.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Some marshalls do say "keep right" or "carry on left" and suchlike, but most just point directions, which is enough to be honest. Most will encourage.

I tend to find at races not put on by running clubs they don't do any of the above and just stand there. Which is annoying if you do rely on them speaking to give clues on how close the person behind is.

• Options

Found out today a guy collapsed and died of a heart attack after the race on sunday, he did a time of 1:50. My parents said the ambulance going up Ongar Road must have been for him, as I wasn't far behind. Given that Ongar Road is a busy A road, and cars struggling to get through on Sunday because of the runners in the road, I think the no ipod rule is obviously there for a very good reason, if people can't hear the ambulance, then they are not aware to get out the way!

Also on the brentwood route there is a busy roundabout which links to the A12....i've had near misses running here before. always take my ipod out this bit of the route when im training.

Don't enter a long distance race if you find it boring without your ipod. simples.

Btw - whoever mentioned they like listening to elbow whilst running - me too!

• Options

The only thing I find annoying about racing without my ipod, is when all I can hear is other peoples Garmin's beeping when i think it's my own image

• Options

I don't want to listen to my body when I'm running. It's most likely to be slagging me off. 

What about listening to an iPod with the volume down a bit? I listen to my iPod at work but I can hear my phone ringing, somone talking to me or a siren outside.  Isn't being sensible the solution to the problem?

• Options
    Supes! wrote (see)

What about listening to an iPod with the volume down a bit? I listen to my iPod at work but I can hear my phone ringing, somone talking to me or a siren outside.  Isn't being sensible the solution to the problem?

Hear Sirens outside....Are you a burglar?
  • Options
    If you're out stealing, it would probably make sense to leave your iPod at home.
  • Options
    Supes! wrote (see)

Nooooooo. Because that would be subjective wouldn't it? What's "a bit"?

Your "bit" might be different from "my bit" so I've decided that a particular volume level is safe and you put my headphones on and scream your head off because you're deafened!

I was sitting in the doctor's surgery last week. I took my iPod touch with me because I suspect I was in for the long haul. We have one of those boards that flashes your name on and which doctor etc so I knew I wouldn't miss my go.

I have some new super duper noise cancelling headphones that Mr LB bought me. My ABSOLUTE pet hate with headphones is that tinny boom boom boom you get from arseholes on trains / buses etc where it must be BLARING in their heads and you can make out the song. I had the volume on what I thought was "really low".....

A couple of minutes later everyone in the surgery started looking at me. I took my ears out in horror and said "you can hear my music can't you? I am SO SORRY".image

"No, we can't hear it at all", said the woman opposite, "your phone is ringing".

My phone was blaring away and because of the noise cancellation of the headphones being SO GOOD I couldn't hear a LOUD BELL less than a FOOT away.

Too many variables in "let's just turn it down a bit". There is NO room for a bit of negotiation here. There is a BAN so let's just suck it up!

• Options

I'm confused, is the headphones ban at specific races only or can I assume that all races with UKA affiliation have banned them?

I'm also confused as to whether headphones are banned from health and safety perspective, or whether ipods are banned as pacing devices. If the latter, are they only banned if you have a Nike+ (or similar) or is the argument that music itself is a pacing device? Would you still be banned if you wore your ipod without the headphones (so as to record pacing info to look at after the race)?

I'm finding it difficult to reconcile the argument I spotted upthread that ipods are banned because they are pacing devices if Garmins are allowed. I find people saying "oh, I don't use my Garmin for pacing during the race at all. Ever. I'm completely unaware of my pace while wearing it and it doesn't alter my performance on race day one bit" about as believeable as people saying "I always wear my ipod when running and I have never, ever zoned out or been even the slightest bit unaware of my surroundings".

Fair enough if ipods are banned for health and safety reasons, thems the rules, you can decide whether or not to run a race depending on how much you care about listening to music.

Only interested in the distinction because I'm pedantic ... legal mind, I like to have clear definitions image 

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    No one is suggesting that ipods should be banned because they are pacing devices.
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Moraghan wrote (see)
    No one is suggesting that ipods should be banned because they are pacing devices.

Badly drawn boy is.

As far as I can see only the Americans have used this excuse. I can see that you could pre load your iPod with loads of different drum loops all at different tempos. All seems a bit silly really.

The official line from the race organisers is that the UKA advice was not to allow them purely on safety grounds. It's not an insurance directive. I would imagine that if you injured someone or were injured by someone and could prove that the iPod was a contributory factor then the insurance would argue that the UKA advises against wearing them and the race organisiers failed to implement the rule.

We're all adults and should be able to make up our own minds. There should just be a statement that says iPods are worn at your own risk and the organisers can't be held responisible for any injuries. We all have numbers - just report anyone running badly.

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Ha ha, that's ridiculous - how the fuck would that help pace in any half-accurate way? 

• Options
    Just as an observation, on Sunday between mile 11 and mile 12 of the Water of Life Half Marathon, a woman pulled up alongside me and shouted "ARE WE NEAR 11 MILES YET?" I said: "Do you mean 12?" She shouted: "WHAT?" I said: "We're coming up to 12 miles." She shouted: "WHAT?", then finally took her plugs out so she could hear me. Then when I'd filled her in, she shot off rather too fast for my liking.

Take from that what you will.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    xine267 wrote (see)

I'm confused, is the headphones ban at specific races only or can I assume that all races with UKA affiliation have banned them?

Races are starting to ban them, on H&S issues.  Not all races do, some simply recommend that you don't use them (Dartford Half, for example).  As if people will take any notice - but it may cover them insurance-wise.

Brentwood actually not only banned them but followed through and DQ's people using them.

• Options
    TimR wrote (see)
    Moraghan wrote (see)

Badly drawn boy is.

As far as I can see only the Americans have used this excuse. I can see that you could pre load your iPod with loads of different drum loops all at different tempos. All seems a bit silly really.

The official line from the race organisers is that the UKA advice was not to allow them purely on safety grounds. It's not an insurance directive. I would imagine that if you injured someone or were injured by someone and could prove that the iPod was a contributory factor then the insurance would argue that the UKA advises against wearing them and the race organisiers failed to implement the rule.

We're all adults and should be able to make up our own minds. There should just be a statement that says iPods are worn at your own risk and the organisers can't be held responisible for any injuries. We all have numbers - just report anyone running badly.

However race directors have to assess the risk. You must allow for the stupidity of others. If you allow people to make up their own minds about H&S then you as a race director are open to people doing what ever they like.

ipods are banned for good reason, the risk they pose, to the individuals, road users and the runners around them, the wearer has not got his full senses about him.

"what about deaf runners?" someone says, well they know the risk and I have met a couple they are more aware of the risks they pose to themselves and others than others, more so than Joe Bloggs and his banging choones.

@ OP Sian sorry you got pulled out of the race its a shame hope you can get another one in soon.Glad your not to angry.

To the people who say its not fair, tough shit. Why should you be a hazzard to everyone around you? if you dont like it find a race that allows it.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    TimR wrote (see)

We're all adults and should be able to make up our own minds. There should just be a statement that says iPods are worn at your own risk and the organisers can't be held responisible for any injuries.

because we're not talking only about the safety of the person wearing the iPod. image
  • Options

I find some people on this forum extremely offensive, indicating that people who run with music are not proper runners and also complaining about slow runners.  Its like every year the commentators in the London Marathon talk about "joggers" who will take over 4 hours, not giving them the respect they deserve for all the training they have put in.

Events are for all people of all levels.  Many people find running mentally difficult and the music helps them.  Personally, my main problem in races is lack of confidence and the music does help me big time.  I am sure other runners have certain things they run with (favorite socks, running drinks etc) and particular routines as this mentally assists them, or more importantly, they believe it does.

I believe I am extremely considerate in races and follow race etiquette, always looking behind me and indicating before pulling out.  This to me is common sense, but many, many runners do not do this, even elite ones,  particularly in big events and yes, they do all cut you up when crossing to get water without indicating and this has nothing to do with the fact that they are wearing headphones or not.

In addition, when you run with headphones/earpieces in, you are not completely blocked up - until you have run with them yourself, you would not know. 

I recently ran the Berkhamsted half marathon (with ear pieces in) and had to put up with a group of guys running three abreast talking c**p very loudly (without headphones) and they did not move out of my way when I was trying to overtake them, despite saying excuse me twice and I had to run really wide to get past them on the road where there was traffic in both directions.

As previous posts have said, you will get inconsiderate and thoughless people in races, along towpaths, in parks, wherever you go - that's life.

I think people should be more accepting and accommodating about other runners and I agree with the previous post that says its better that someone is out running and having a go, no matter how slow they are or whether they are listening to music or not.    That sort of attitude is what will put beginners off running events and taking up running.

• Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)
    xine267 wrote (see)

Races are starting to ban them, on H&S issues.  Not all races do, some simply recommend that you don't use them (Dartford Half, for example).  As if people will take any notice - but it may cover them insurance-wise.

Brentwood actually not only banned them but followed through and DQ's people using them.

Thanks, Wilkie! I've seen the no-ipod rule prominently displayed in FAQs/Rules section for some races - Brighton Marathon springs to mind as main example -  but I wasn't sure if this was a blanket ban as the issue of UKA rule on "technical assistance" was raised. (In answer to Moraghan was on Page 1, post 18 - I didn't make up the ipod/pacing device thing myself ... )

Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)

Real time pacing info is a pacing aid and therefore againt the rules.  Ipods are banned as an aid, but arer highlighted because of H&S.

• Options
    Moraghan wrote (see)

Ha ha, that's ridiculous - how the fuck would that help pace in any half-accurate way? 

My Mum got her first sub 50 10K by carefully making a playlist with songs that had the right bpm to set her pace. Probably took as long to make the playlist as it did to run the 10K!