Options

Cheshire Traithlon, May 22nd

Comments

• Options
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Short fat bloke from Widnes.....

That description could easily apply to me at the moment image too much food and no training
  • Options
    you have hair tho............
  • Options
    Are you on commission from Ironholgs Dave?

What's the book about?
  • Options
    Cake, just got my book. You can tell it's written by an American, very repepitive and continously telling you about himself!!

Still, seems very interesting, hopefully it'll help me out. I'll be like Michael Phelps in no time, without the ganja smoking tho image
  • Options
    Holg's book  Nope not on commission, Just all part of suckering another poor fool to the ship
  • Options
    Just put it on my Amazon wishlist to purchase at a later date. Got two books on the go already right now.
  • Options
    Al - what's the american book?
  • Options
    Total Immersion, I'm hoping it'll help me out a bit with my swimming.
  • Options
    Stick with it - I thought it made a lot of sense.
  • Options
    Yeah, read the first 5 chapters and it seems to be making sense. I just feel like I'm being patronised when he tells me the same thing over and over, it's a book, if I'm not sure about something I can go back and read it again!!!

Still, he knows a lot more about it than I do so I can get past that.

I sound like a right arrogant pr!@k don't I? I'm not like that, honest image
  • Options
    Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    Thinking of entering Trentham (sprint distance) I might be able to borrow a wetsuit from someone in work image
    Me and Steve Ho who popped in are both doing the half that day and tother half might be doing the sprint. It's a good little race did it last year and was a good laugh. image I do have a spare wet suit at the moment but thing it would be to big for you? How tall are you?
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    It's all Vikings fault
    Seconded image
    Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    Total Immersion, I'm hoping it'll help me out a bit with my swimming.
    Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    Yeah, read the first 5 chapters and it seems to be making sense. I just feel like I'm being patronised when he tells me the same thing over and over, it's a book,
    Same here but it's a bloodly good book through.
  • Options
    I'm about 5' 10" I think by looking at wetsuit size guides I'll be a 6 maybe a 7 but without trying them on I won't know.

I'll be following the book, I like the whole ethos of it, its how I learned Karate and thats pretty well ingrained in me despite not doing it for a few years. The book could have been half the pages though.
  • Options

image I know you where a cool kid what style? Not been able to train for a couple of years because of caring for folks and Ironman training but Skotokan myself. Some thing with muscle memory and practice makes perfect.

Actually I think the wetsuit might fit you but not well. Slight zip issue so I wouldn’t use it for the ironman but would help you get started for now.
  • Options
    Shotokan too, from a student of Ronnie Colwell (google him, he's the most frightening man I've ever met but really nice too, serious but nice) I loved it and wish I could go back to it but I would only go back to it with my instructor and he lives too far from me now for it to be practical.

Any wetsuit will do for now as long as it isn't far too big or small, I won't be doing any great distance in the near future and I'll be getting my own soon enough.
  • Options

image For myself was Barry Nash and same feelings really, not found a dojo last few years thats been both good enough and gone with the sprirt of the way enough for me to take myself back to it. Will goggle later.

Wetsuit had to be cut out of last year at outlaw because the zip is funny has been fixed but don't trust my life on it. I can bring it over to manc for a salford swim if you want and just concider it a long term loan until your sorted.

• Options
    I did Thai Boxing recently and only stuck with it for 2 years before I decided I wasting my money. The club just wanted to make cash with practising the art coming second on the list. I've never really been a fan of grading as the colour around your waist doesn't really mean anything, the proficiency from club to club varies greatly at each level, I'm sure you know what I mean.

I used to hold myself back for grading because I didn't think I was technically good enough but there were people 3 and 4 grades above me whose form and execution were crap next to mine and I wasn't perfect. The club would still let them progress though as each grading raked in more money each time. In the end I left. Not my idea of how to teach martial arts.

Thanks for the wetsuit image I'll let you know when I'm planning on going, do you go frequently?
  • Options

Not been once yet but a mate who’s moving to manc said he could give a lift next few weeks so jumped at the chance. Don’t drive myself so getting to the places that I can open water swim can be a right ball ache.

Know exactly what you mean about whats basically a factory money making dojo and can’t stand sports karate. It’s all about bettering yourself and not wearing bling. image
  • Options
    Indeed it is image

You need to learn to drive fella!!! It must be a right pain the backside getting to and from events?! No wonder you were loaded up like Buckaroo last week image

• Options

Trentham Sprint entry, done!!!

Whats the bike course like for the sprint?

• Options

I think the sprint bike is part of the halfIron course? B roads and then part of a A road. Wasn't that much traffic there last year and good support. It's not flat but hardly hilly bit like nantwick. Run course all flat over than about 10 mentres that go up a slight slope.

Only real conplaint I have about the set up is the distance between the swim end and the T1 set up you going to have to run/walk bare foot for a about a minute. Best to start taking off the wetsuit as soon as you get out of the water even if it's just to take the top half off or you start getting very hot. It's a good little race. image

• Options
    It says in the notes that there is a compulsory shoe transition from swim to T1 because they can't put mats down.

I'll try and get to the bike course to check it out beforehand, if it's like Nantwich then I'm sure it'll be fine. Nice to be familiar with the roads though.

Have to practice transition with a wetsuit image
  • Options

Just plotted the bike course to see the profile elevation, looks like a bit of a climb between mile 4 and 6 then turn back and it's mostly downhill and flat, so providing I can keep a good pace up for them vital two miles then I should be flying along for the second half.

I'll check it out in a few weeks time tho.

I know I'm sad doing this on a friday night but alas I have to work so at least I'm getting paid to do my homework image although I'd rather be at home drinking wine with my better half image

• Options
    Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    It says in the notes that there is a compulsory shoe transition from swim to T1 because they can't put mats down.

I'm forgotten about that get some old trainers and use then it's a bit of distance but if you use your proper running shoe's you will end up with wet trainers for the run.

• Options
    Yes, think I'll bring a spare pair. I don't want water logged runners for the 5k image
  • Options

Just been reading through for Trentham again and it says that a wetsuit is only compulsary for the Big Half but surely even when the weather is really warm the water will still be cold?

By the way Frodo, how is your new bike?

• Options
    Big Al 123 wrote (see)

Just been reading through for Trentham again and it says that a wetsuit is only compulsary for the Big Half but surely even when the weather is really warm the water will still be cold?

By the way Frodo, how is your new bike?

The lake at Trentham Gardens is shallow and does warm up fairly quickly if we ever get any more sun. The only problem with the lake is that it can be fairly dark and full of duck poo and there used to be loads of mussels on the floor so could cause problems if you do put your feet down.
  • Options
    JPenno wrote (see)
     it can be fairly dark and full of duck poo

Sounds lovely image can't wait to swim in duck sh!t£

• Options
  • Options

The mussel’s are the only real issue with the tri as they will cut your feet if you stand up to much. They are also a endangered species and the lake is a area of scientific interest so try not to do it. I’d wear a wet suit matey. It will both help you and give you a good idea about doing outlaw or IMUK and treat it all as experience. The duck poo is there but it’s a very minor issue and you would have to be unlucky to swallow a load. Can’t say 100% yet but very likely will be in Salford this week and will bring the wetsuit in case you want to try it. According to folks you can hire one just for the night for about £6. Expensive if you wanted to do that all the time but something to think about in case the one I have won’t fit you.

Saw Frodo at the race Sunday and she’s going to pop by as well with the offending bike so we can all go ooowww and aaarrrrrr!!! image
  • Options
    Hopefully I'll be able to stay afloat and swimming for the whole 500m so no plans to be standing apart from entering and exiting the water. Prob wear the wetsuit anyway, as you say, a bit of experience for me and also a bit of help with buoyancy.

What day are you going to Salford? Chances are I won't make this week through fatigue and feeling a cold coming on image due to having to work a marathon set of shifts starting last Wednesday, worked 2 days then 2 nights, finished Sunday morning then back in last night / tonight, finish tommorrow morning, then back in on Thursday for 2 days then 2 nights finishing on Monday morning. I do get a few days off then but I'll be a zombie and probably in full-blown man flu mode by that stage image

I am free on Saturday morning but if I feel ok I'll probably just go to the local pool this week for reasons stated above.

The wetsuit hire is a good option, especially as you say if it doesn't feel quite right. At least when I come to get my own I'll know what I'm looking for.