Options

London to Brighton ultra run

Comments

• Options
    Anyone signed up for 2012 yet?
  • Options
    Hi Richard,

I'm signed up again for 2012 manged to talk a couple running mates into it as well image are you signed up ?
  • Options
    Seasons Greetings. This has been on my mind ever since I bowed out. Am certainly up for it if I can get the training right this time.
  • Options
    Hi Greg,
    it would be good to see you on the start line this year. Ive got a couple of mates joining me this year so going to be doing reece runs again later in the year. I've entered my first 100mile race for next year so fingers crossed I can injury free. Happy christmas.
  • Options
    Happy Christmas Lingster, am only just getting back into running after a spate of injuries. Am going to attempt the Moonlight Challenge in February as I know that one and on the back of it keep the momentum. Really enjoyed the recces so do count me in. The 100 mile sounds awesome, and I know you can do it. Which one is it? Best wishes
  • Options
    HI Lingster, Decathlon are flogging the Garmin 310xt £199. Is this the version you have? Have the 305 and thinking of upgrading. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Hi prep I use the 405 at the moment but I used my mates 310xt on race day for L2B the battery last longer than my 405 although I still had to switch for last hour. I'm looking at the suunto watchs at the moment but only just started research. I did like the 310 tho and for that price might get one myself just because you can swim with it as well.
    The hundred miler is the southdowns way 100 in june so ive got six months to get ready fingers crossed I stay injury free.

Lingster
  • Options
    Hi Guys, I am fed up trawling the web for advice on what shoe to get to run the Moonlight Challenge. For those not in the know, it can be very muddy and also requires road running on the circuit of 5 laps. Any suggestions as last year I trashed a new pair of Brooks running shoes. Dried mud still seeps out 10 months on! Regards
  • Options

Hi all, I've entered this race now and have started a blog if anyone would like to take a look?

http://londontobrightonandbeyond.blogspot.com/

This will be my first ultra race and the longest distance race I've ever run. I'm running this event to raise money for the Alzheimer's Society. Here's my sponsorship page incase anyone would like to sponsor me! (Even if only £1, every penny counts) Thanks for your time.

http://www.justgiving.com/mattygilly

• Options
    Hi mat

Just read some of your blog something you do need to experiment with is eating on the run. Its important to find what fuel you can put back it takess a while and everyone is different for me its buttered maltloaf and block jellys. I completed this last year and am in again this year although my big one this year is south downs way 100. If you send me your email I can send you a copy of the map book if you want.

Good luck with ya training

Ling
  • Options
    Hi Ling,

Thanks for the advise and yeah I'd love a copy of The map book. Here's my email address.

Mjgill2311@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks again

Matt
  • Options
    I'm running it, training near on everyday!

His my facebook page if anyone is interested in 'liking' it.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Daryl-running-for-Cancer-Research-UK/336253943071340?notif_t=page_new_likes
  • Options
    DazzaLDazzaL ✭✭✭

Hello, I'm running the L2B this year. Is anyone local to Sussex that is running the L2B in September? Anyone want to meet up for a few training runs before September 30th rolls around?

I'll supply jelly babies if it swings the deal image

I'm slightly worried about the navigation element at the moment, oh and the distance and managing the food intake, anything else I should be worried about?

Terrified but so excited!

• Options
    Hi darren i'm running it again this year with a mate his first time at a ultra. I live in eastbourne so if you want to meet up for a run let me know going to some recce runs closer to the time your more than welcome to join us I have my map book from last year so can refresh my memory a bit as well.
    you need to practice what food works for you the only thing I can eat is block jellys and fruit loaf and of course jelly babies image I spent last year worried about different things read thro this thread some good advice that I took on board last year now hooked on ultra's just about to my first 100 miler in june so im sure you'll enjoy and become hoojed as well.
  • Options
    DazzaLDazzaL ✭✭✭

Thank Lingster, that would be ace image

I'm in Lancing but willing to jump in the car on the recce runs. I've got a mates mapbook from 09 and I've been looking at various online information to try and build a list of things I need to consider.

I'm not planning on another ultra after this but who knows, my mate just finished MDS!!

Thanks for the info, will be in touch

• Options
    DazzaLDazzaL ✭✭✭

Good luck in your 100miler by the way Lingster, I'm guessing that's the SDW 100miler?

Hows the training gone so far?

• Options

Hi All,

I am entering the L2B this year for my first Ultra and have enjoyed reading this thread all the way from last year.  I am along the coast in Portsmouth and am keen to come along on any training runs if you guys are planning any?

Just recovering after the London Marathon last Sunday so no training just yet but will soon be back on the road (trail?).  I'm also looking to do the South Downs Trail marathon on 9 Jun and the Salisbury 54321 Trail marathon on 12 Aug as training runs if anyone is interested?

Lingster, 

Would you be able to send me a copy of your route book too as it would be good to have a look at the route?

Cheers all.

• Options
    i‘m thinking of doing this run this year - would be my first ultra.  Anyone live in London who‘s thinking of doing it?
  • Options

Hi all, I'm also entering this as my first ultra   (Ruth - I live in Surrey, but work in London - running home from work every now & then has become part of training.).    Obviously I have lots of questions about it all, but 2 main ones at the moment....

1)   how do most people carry food & water etc round with them?   I have never used one, but it seems to me that I need to invest in a Camelbak (or similar) - but I'd rather avoid it if I can  (though perhaps that's just because I'm not used to one).   .  Does anyone just use a handheld bottle and bumbag for food / gels etc, or are Camelbaks the way forward?

2)   How difficult is the map-reading - will schoolboy level geography get me through it?   Or do I need a gps watch etc   (prefer not to spend £200 if I don't have to).

All advice very welcome!

Good weekend to all.

• Options
    I have a camelbak and love it. It's an ultra light one with limited storage space, but it really great once you get used to it. Klute - what sort of times do you do marathons in? I'll happily train with anyone who fancies a partner.. I've never run more than marathon distance, do it's quite a step up! I also have a GPS (Garmin) which I love - can't imagine running without it. It's such a help, but the battery won't hold out for this ultra. Mine is about 3 years old and struggles to make it through marathons now!
  • Options

Hi Ruth,   Thanks for your thoughts on Camelbak, I'll wander down to the shop at some stage and have a look.      

The last marathon I did was the Greensand Marathon, which is very hilly, in 4:43.    I think around 4:00 for a flattish road run would be about fair,  though I'm not sure I could run a marathon very easily at the moment   - I have a busy summer ahead of me getting ready for this trip to Brighton!

Still (slightly) concerned about the navigation - I see in the past there have been various recce runs going on, so perhaps I'd better sign up for a couple of them nearer the time.

• Options
    Hi all, I've been following a few of the ultra threads and most talk.about using proper back packs varying from 15 to 20L capacity. If you are looking at a 12 hour run, you'll need a few layers in the bag, maps, food, first aid kit etc. I think some kit is mandated by the organisers so I don't know if just a camelback will do. Again, I have zero experience but I have been following the newbie threads and taking notes!

I'm going to try to get down for a recce run at some stage. I'll let you know when and where, you're more than welcome to join in.
  • Options
    Lingster - I‘d love to join a recce if you‘re planning on doing one nearer time?  My map reading is dreadful and it‘s making me wonder if it‘s a bad idea for me to enter this!  I hope that 6 marathons is sufficient as a starting point for training.  Has anyone followed a specific plan successfully?  There‘s so much info online, I don‘t really know where to begin.  Feeling very inspired now, having just read through this entire forum image
  • Options
    (and AnyOldIron as well.. if you‘re doing a recce run!)
  • Options
    Hi all to answer I few of your questions I did this race last year as my first proper ultra so know how you feel about taking on this challenge.

1. You definaltey need a camelbak or similar I use camelbak octane 18x which I find very good big enough to carry food and extra layers and upto 3 litres of fluid I dont even notice it on any more I use it on all runs over 10 miles. I would suggest training with the stuff you will need on the day.

2. The map reading can be tricky in places I have a copy of the map on my computer I think so if you send me email address I will try to send a copy when at my home computer. There are some parts where you could get lost but if you recce it then this helps on the day no end ( I did stil ad 2 miles tho even with reccie runs)

3. Reccie runs I will be going out in august / early sept to reccie with a friend who is doing it for the first time this year. The first reccie we wil do from checkpoint 1 to 3 about 18-20 miles. The following week we will do checkpoint 3 to falmer which is past the last checkpoint and only 5 miles from the finish again 20 miles or so. If anyone wants to join use then the more the merrier I met up with peopke from this forum last year and we recced it together its a big confidenc boost on the start line and nice to know a few faces as well.

I will post on here closer to the time about dates and times for reccie runs hope that this helps answer some of your questions. I'm back to do it again this years and I would recommend it to anyone so if your thinking of entering just do it you wont regret it image

Lingster
  • Options
    Ruth Gibbins wrote (see)
    i‘m thinking of doing this run this year - would be my first ultra.  Anyone live in London who‘s thinking of doing it?

In London too Ruth and new to ultras as well. I did the VLM last weekend and that was my first marathon but managed it in just under 4 hours. I'm just wondering if 4.5-5 months of training is enough for such a leap in mileage. Does anyone who has run this or a similar ultra in the past have any advice? London and Brighton are my two favourite places in the country so I would love to do it! image

• Options
    Lingster,

Thanks for all the info, I'll pm my email for the maps whenever you get the chance. I'd love to come down for the recce runs as well, let us know when you get some dates in the diary.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Bronn, great time for London - well done! Where are you based? I'm similarly concerned that it won't be enough time, but marathon training has already set you up well to start training for this and it really is a different sort of running - endurance rather than speed! I still haven't entered, but feeling more and more inspired to after returning to this forum on a daily basis!
  • Options
    Hi bronn and ruth, i entered this time last year having done marathons and was worried about the set up in distance but 4 months of training was enough to get me thro. As you said Ruth it is a different type of running slower and more sociable run. If you enter you wont regret it but be warned ultras are very addictive i'm doing my first 100 miler in june and back for this one in september image