Options

Two stone off!

1242526272830»

Comments

• Options
    I'm fairly sure, based on today's results, that it'll be something related to Champion status... !
  • Options
    Hallam BlueHallam Blue ✭✭✭

Here's hoping! Last year, I just sang Blue Moon. I think it might be a little Queen ditty.

• Options

Hey guys, I'm still here, just not been getting notifications? Anyway, Well done Andy on your marathon & Congratulations to you both Andy & Dan on your weightloss and Marathon Runner status!

I'm finally allowed to run again, done two walk/runs so far and another tonight. Abingdon is 23 weeks away, still hopeful!! Weight wise image

• Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Well done everyone on all your marathons, weight loss achievements etc (and Dan for supporting a winning team! image).

Andy - You asked what I was up to... (deep breath) I basically took the winter off for squash and thought about running again at about the start of March but I had lost my Garmin and with it my enthusiasm. However, I found it in the boot of the car in mid April (the Garmin, not the enthusiasm!) and been back running ever since! image Started on the Couch to 5K plan again, to basically get my knees back up to speed (general fitness good from squash), started at week 4, skipped a few workouts here and there and back up to running 5Ks, down to 27 mins at St Andrews a few weeks back which I was well chuffed with as my best last year was just over 29 mins. My watch thought it was only 4.81km mind you!

For a while I was targetting the Stornoway HM a week on Saturday for my training (and then a marathon in the Autumn). I was put right off however by the fatality at the Reading HM, the poor chap was my age, etc and I am always fearful of such signs. Really enjoy the running though so will stick to Parkruns and the odd 10K. And what is more, as from this Saturday there is now a Parkrun in Dundee which I am very enthusiastic about! image

Weight-wise, you may remember I started at 17st10 in April 2011 which came down fairly steadily to 14st07 at the time of when I gave up for the winter (had knee issues). Since then it has been as low as 13st10 although has been up and down by a few pounds. 13st11 now and keen to get down to maybe 12st7 or thereabouts before the end of the year by running / swimming / cycling and doing some (but not a lot of) weight work. BMI-wise I am still overweight which annoys me because I don't look or feel it. It doesn't annoy me that I still officially overweight, more that health professionals rely on standard charts just as this and they are generally a waste of time.

I agree with you Andy, this thread was a great motivation to me last year, many thanks to you all! image

• Options
    Hello Grant, great to hear an update from you...and good to hear that you've continued with a few more lbs lost.....! Doing Parkruns and the odd 10k sounds like a great way to continue - my local Parkrun is really friendly but also very hilly, so PBs never going to happen.

For me it's a mix of 5ks, 5ms and 10ks over the early summer, although I am doing the Much Wenlock Olympics Half in July - aiming for a 5m PB at an event on sunday. Put a couple of lbs on since Manchester but confident of losing them as my training steps up again.

Hope you keep a good routine going over the summer!
  • Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Hi Andy - I'm still around and still trying to lose weight.  Have lost 6 1/2 lbs in 2 weeks with SW and am now 9lbs from target.  Been mostly running parkrun and a couple of 10ks recently.  Deferred Brighton Mara until next year but have also entered VLM ballot so we'll see what happens.

Hope you're all wellimage

• Options

I've been slower and very tired since marathon (6 or 7 weeks now so should be recovered!) and the weight has started to creep on! Mainly as I am tired I fancy eating junk!

Great running all those who have run in the awful condition in Sunderland and Manchester and then the heat in Edinburgh. A marathon is a massive achievement in perfect conditions so you folks are phenomenal!

• Options

I'm around still too. Focussing on shorter runs at the moment: 10Ks and park runs at the moment. Really enjoying the quicker stuff at the moment, but will repeat the autumn half marathon and long training plan going in to a spring marathon. Not sure what one, yet. Absolutely loved Brighton, but its a bit pricey to travel down and stay 'en famille'. I'm in the ballot for London, but we all know what the chances are of that coming off. I guess I'll probably risk Manchester: just hope they get their act sorted for next year, but it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I was quite surprised how tired I was after my marathon too: not particularly in the week after, but for the next few weeks certainly.

• Options
    Hi trigger and Emma, great to hear from you and well done on the weight loss Trigger. I havent shifted the few lbs I put on Emma but having a really good go this week and am determined to have lost it for my July holidays. Keep going, post marathon weeks are hard!

So Dan, yes I'm pushing 5ks and 10ks, and giving myself extra motivation by tracking myself on Runbritain rankings. Whilst looking at my 'rivals' at the top of the June Improvers leaderboard today couldn't help noticing a Dan Ellingworth around 100th place, some great times by you good work! I'm now following you on there....

Hopefully the worst of the weathers gone and we can get out on some sunny evening runs. We've had updates from most people which is great, is Running4me around, hope you're ok if you're lurking!
  • Options

Hiya, I'm here, still not getting notifications!

Well Done everyone & especially you Grant, you have such will power & determination!

Back to running, got to the dizzy heights of 6 miles last night.  Feeling it in my hips this morning, but as long as its not in my shins, I'm happy.  Helping out on our clubs beginners course which had been great for getting my confidence back. Still training towards Abingdon, but aware I might not get there in the time scale I have left.  Also in the VLM ballot. 

Weight wise, slowly coming off, went up to Glen Coe for the week last week, put a bit back on, ho hum.  Start a new job in September, so will need a new wardrobe, determined it will be a size 10ish one! 

Really fancy Loch Ness marathon next year.............

• Options

Andy - I was fairly pleased with my improvement, but it pails into insignificance compared to you! 3.17 point improvement - incredible. I see you're just ahead of me in the overall handicap score. I ran Marple parkrun again today, and FAILED to get a PB!!!!!!! That is the first timed race I have missed a PB - gutted. I suppose that is the nature of parkrun really - if you run a timed race every week, you will inevitably run it a bit slower one week. Probably the pizza and beer I had in front of the footie last night. Learn the lesson, Dan!

Did you parkrun this morning? Do you have any more races this month to push you even further up the board? I'm running the K-Swiss 10K next Sunday: would be nice to break 54 minutes, I suppose, and improve my score.

If you don't know what we're talking about, strongly advise signing up at http://www.runbritainrankings.com . Properly motivating, and well integrated with parkruns, and other races.

• Options
    Evening, well I admit to having a couple of runs to update... Seeing my name in the top 10 improvers this week has spurred me on to stay there. Did the Dunham Massey 5k in Altrincham on Thursday night (highly recommend that for next year if you're able to travel over) in a PB shattering 24.11, and then a few of us travelled down to very windy Walsall (our Parkrun couldn't go ahead due to a concert) and got round very sore and battered in 24.44 - and yes it was strange not to get a PB for a change too, we've clearly been spoilt recently!! Was really good last night and didn't drink or endulge with the football, but I am sore and tired tonight. i've put in a few of the hardest interval sessions in the last few weeks, but at least its showing the benefits. Will enjoy curry and wine tonight!

Also, and back on topic, have lost 2lbs this week, just 1lb of my lowest pre marathon weight. Where's the k-Swiss 10k then? And have you decided on an autumn half yet?
  • Options

K-Swiss 10K starts and finishes at the regional athletics stadium next to the Manchester City ground. Friendly race - just hope its a bit better organised than last year when (on a hot day) there was one drinks station at about 8.5K!

I'l pen Dunham Massey in for next year - sounds fun.

• Options
    So 3 months on how's everyone getting on, on the remote off chance that you see this?!

I'm still training up for Chester, possibly a mistake throwing in another marathon but it's kept my mileage high and I've lost the 3lbs I put on after Manchester. Haven't lost any additional though and would love to lose another 1/2 stone which would take me to 3 in total. May search for another thread on here to help push me. Hope everyone's ok....
  • Options

Hi Andy, got down to fighting weight, did London and relaxed. Kept most of it off, just 7lb knocking about I could appreciate losing but that's work in progress. Not running nearly enough but back in London next year so that and the 7lbs will take care of themselves. Might be time to kick start the thread for next year's willing participants.
    Hope all well with you, yours and the rest of us loseres image

• Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Consider it kickstarted!

I am back up to 15 and a half stone (from around 14 stone) after a winter of laziness and eating (which is what winters are for in my opinion). Damaged my rotator cuff which meant I didn't play squash this year which has resulted in my weight creeping up. Getting my legs back up to speed through the tried and tested couch to 5k plan, starting again at week 5, and am aiming to do 2 or 3 Park Runs every month combined perhaps with an Autumn 10k. I am going to combine this with a return to moderation on the eating front.

Target weight is 13 and a half stone (13 stone 4 actually) so I am yet again looking to lose over two stone.

Anyone care to join me? image

• Options

Yes, lets do it!! I've had a couple of injuries but nothing serious. Running going well at the mo: taken 3 and a half minutes off my parkrun time since Christmas, and want to target another 30 seconds off by the end of the month..... well, something close to it. First triathlon in May, and Chester marathon in October, with a couple of 10Ks dotted in and around these. Oh, and also doing a 'longest parkrun' in June: 7 parkruns in a day.

But experience tells me that running itself isn't going to shift much weight: still want to lose a couple of stone. Should we re-launch the thread "Two stone off 2013"?

• Options

I'm in! Still got it to lose after a rubbish running year last year!  Got a space for London and having to defer to next year not been able to train as been so poorly.

• Options
    I'm in and great idea... Now I've cheated slightly by not putting on much of the 2 1/2 stone I lost, just a couple of lbs, but I would like to lose at least a stone still.

Good to hear that you're back out there Grant and sorry to hear about your 'rotator cuff', I admit to not knowing I had one.....

The parkrun times sound impressive Dan, I must have a look on Run Britain to see how you've got on, I admit I haven't looked for a while. I'm 90% likely to sign up to Chester, and hearing your news has just nudged that up a bit... I did it in October and it's unbelievably well organised. Triathlons as well though, that's good...

I've signed up to a charity challenge to do 20 13s in 2013, ie 20 Half Marathon events, so am doing lots of running but still feel I'm carrying more weight than ideal for such a challenge.

So bring it on. I guess we should start a new thread, and is the timescale December 2013? Or another date?
  • Options
    Oh and apologies Straycelt for missing your post! Hope you can get back on board...
  • Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭
    Dan Ellingworth wrote (see)

Yes, lets do it!! I've had a couple of injuries but nothing serious. Running going well at the mo: taken 3 and a half minutes off my parkrun time since Christmas, and want to target another 30 seconds off by the end of the month..... well, something close to it. First triathlon in May, and Chester marathon in October, with a couple of 10Ks dotted in and around these. Oh, and also doing a 'longest parkrun' in June: 7 parkruns in a day.

But experience tells me that running itself isn't going to shift much weight: still want to lose a couple of stone. Should we re-launch the thread "Two stone off 2013"?

Done! - http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/health--injury/two-stone-off-2013/244633.html