Options

Disney 2012

Comments

• Options
    Thanks guys Im staying off for at least a week or until I can do 20 single leg heel raises without any pain (the advice I was given by the physio earlier in the year). Ive been looking at some calf guards Mmm SEXY ! but I'll do anything to get back to training. Is there much difference between support given to the leg by calf guards and compression socks ?
  • Options

If calf guards are what I think they are, then no not a jot of difference... just one has feets in and one doesn't.  I have a pair of calf guards as I use twin skin socks to prevent blisters. 

• Options
    MM, I use skins compression 'sock's which are basically calf compression with a stirrup under the heel to stop the sock 'riding up' during exercise. I used them throughout my 8 day TransAlp run without any blistering problems. I am also in the process of looking at possibly getting a set of 'ultimate' calf compression things from compressport.co.uk (20% discount code BOT220). They come without the stirrup but allege to provide relief on the achilles. Time (and running) will tell.
  • Options
    Ive ordered some of the skins stirrup calf socks from sweatshop today. Fingers crossed they will help to get me back out and training.

Mr MM went out and did a PB yesterday on his training run. I was happy for him but secretly felt even more sorry for myself (the chocky bickys took a bashing !)

Hope everyone else' training is going well
  • Options

image MM - Hope the Skins do the job.

• Options

MM the PB in training has been bashed about the forum a bit and the overwhelming conclusion is that it doesn't count...so put the biscuits down... or at the very least share them around the thread. How is your calf feeling now?? 

Slowie is on the same flight as me & Mr CS, we'll be easy to spot... we'll be the ones nipping to the loo every 5mins as we've been drinking that much to make sure we don't dehydrate even the slightest little bit. image

• Options
    Hi CS - Ive just tried it out on the treadmill after resting it for a week 3 days and 5 hours (not that I've been counting) and I had no sign of discomfort(wearing my sexy skins) so its looking encouraging image. Will try it out on the roads tomorrow to see how it goes.

Hope everyone else is ok and things are going to plan x

• Options

PB Does he mean Photo Breaks !! image

About 12 on the marathon

• Options

imageAh, so that's how I can get a PB on the marathon!

• Options

A lot of things have happened this weekend to remind me that it's only 72 days until it all kicks off! imageimage

Not a great long run this weekend after a tough massage (does anyone else struggle after sports massages?) but I got round.

Hope everyone else is OK.

• Options

it depends on how long after the sports massage and how deep the treatment.

you should treat a sports massage as a training  session; thearea being treated is getting a workout, so you shouldn't run on the same day. if it's a deep treatment, then a recovery run the day after should be fine, but not a LSR. if it was a maintenance/routine massage, then there should be no problems with a LSR the day after.

post-massage drink plenty of fluids to flush out the waste by products from the treatment, and maybe some light stretching (but not mandated)

• Options

Thanks ATOM - it was 3 days after the massage but, judging by the pain I was in during the massage(!!!) it was a VERY deep one (done for the first time in a while by a friend who is a very fast runner and thinks I need deeper treatment given the higher than usual mileage - and given the speed he runs at I'll believe anything he says!image)

I never really thought about the fluids after - but I have heard that before - must remember next time.

• Options

hmmmm, I base all my treatments around the needs of my client irrespective of distance/speed being trained for. If the deep muscles need work then a deep treatment is called for, if the superficial fibres (the ones closer to the surface) need work then they get my attention.

3 days to recover does seem a bit excessive; hopefully the next treatment shouldn't be as deep, so the recovery should be quicker. might be worth mentioning to your practitioner about the problems encountered at your next session

• Options

Interesting..........will do. Thanks again.

• Options

Its been a long time since I've had a massage but 3 days later and it's still affecting your running doesn't sound right.  I had a soft tissue one whilst I was still in training for a marathon and a deep tissue one once I'd done to in theory worm out all the knots... but I don't think the bloke was very good at deep tissue as I just ended up with bruises all over my legs and my calf muscles still knotted up to beggary. image

We paid the final payment of our holipops yesterday... YAY!!!  So now it's just the small matter of training to deal with... 18miles planned for this weekends LSR.

• Options

image Marathon training fascinates me.

3 years ago I couldn't run half a mile, never mind 26.2 - and here we are planning 18-20 mile runs over the coming weeks.......still find it hard to believe.image

• Options

10 weeks tomorrow... *bounce bounce bounce*

So that's 10 weeks of glaring at anyone that even so much as sniffs in my direction let alone coughs image  The two Directors at work have a nasty habit of insisting on coming in when they are absolutely choc-a-bloc full of cold and the one I work with doesn't cover her mouth when she coughs or sneezes... imageimage 

• Options

Eeeewwwww.image

It's the injuries I fear! Something wrong with my left quad at the moment.image

• Options
    Oh yeah, there's the injuries to avoid too... one of the lads at the club suggested a headtorch run last night... I just looked at him and went "not until after Disney, I can't risk it"  I rang my fizzy on Monday about my niggly right achilles, unfortunately I got that "I'm on holiday abroad" ringtone so hung up quickly.  Will try again next week, I probably need to just stretch it more than I do and actually do the heel raises rather than just think about doing them.
  • Options
    We've just got back from our House of Mouse half term trip and I am really excited now about running in January. It was strange to think the roads we were driving on would be our route in 10 weeks time !

We only managed one run while we were away but I'm pleased to say the calf is holding up nicely. With the miles we walked round the parks and judging by how creamy crackered I was at the end of each day, I think its fair to say the legs had a thorough workout.

• Options

2012 Marathon and half routes have been finalised (doesn't seem to be too different from 2011 from what I can see, just a different graphical way of depicting the route)

did someone say 10 weeks? what happened to the last 6 weeks?

• Options

Official race guide is also now on the website.

Sooo agree on the time flying.........image

• Options

*cough* 65 days  *cough*

Dont tell my achilles that I didn't actually get hold of the fizzy cos it's behaving itself at the moment which is what normally happens whenever I make a doctors or fizzy appointment. image

• Options

Hmmm.......maybe MM and I need to try that tactic then.image

• Options
    (whispering) My calf is behaving at the moment... hope we can all stay in one piece until after 8th Jan
  • Options

Is anyone else as excited as I am???image

It feels so contradictory - the long runs are SOOO hard - but I am SOOO excited about the Goofy.

And I shouldn't be more excited about Disney than my kids, should I???image

• Options

I hope everyones staying fit n well

Finding the long runs surprisingly hard too, banked an 18miler on sunday, but yes NervousN.... only a little over 7 weeks to go image

Watched this clip today and must say I was smiling all the way through, excitedly lined it up for my little un to watch and half way through he went back off to watch cartoons!!! image

disney2012

• Options

This time in 7 weeks we'll have picked up our race packs...or that's the plan anyhoo  *bounce bounce bounce*  image

We've got 18miles lined up for this weekend, we did 17 the other weekend...it was meant to be 18 but we misjudged the distance of the route a bit and got back to the car a mile sooner than we expected...image

Went out in parts of our costumes last weekend... I need smaller jeggings... I spent the whole run yanking them back up...so back to Primark it is.  Jessies blouse didn't chafe anywhere although I do need to put some more velcro on it as they've been a bit tight on that front and I don't want to show everyone my tummy.

• Options

Sounds like you are all doing really well... We are still a bit behind with our training following my injury  but slowly getting back on track and should be up to a 16 miler by next Sunday.   The plan for us has always been to ger round and survive so Im happy with how things are going at the moment.  

Mind you I thought it was all over last week when I tripped and landed in the road with a dislocated finger and a bloody elbow image  but in true runner spririt I scrambled onto me feet an announced to Mr MM 'its ok my legs are allright!'

47 days to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!