Options

Grant & Stone Wycombe Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Trippr wrote (see)

Hi again guys.

I was wondering if there were any showers around anywhere I could use after the race? Maybe a local gym or pool? I'll be coming down with my partner and my baby daugther and wanted to spend some time after the race taking a look around etc.

Cheers

Rob 

Near the finish there is a outdoor public pool or at the top of the hill near Junction 4 there is the leisure centre. Both of these have showers etc that you could use for a small fee
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    k8greene wrote (see)
    So Stevie, you definitely doing the 10k?
    Hopefully!  I've been recommended to not race for a bit, but hopefully be back for mid July. Would be the 10k maximum though. Have done the Half enough for a while!
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I'm still debating where to switch from the half to the 10k (if I'm allowed of course!). I've got a half a week on Sunday so will use that to judge, although after this morning's run things are looking more positive.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you can switch between races on the day, so it's easily enough done.

A half run at race pace is always a tough job, no matter how many you've done. It's hard enough when it's a flat pb course. When you factor in the 1mile hill at Wycombe to start with, the undulations and the 100feet rise over the last 6miles you have a stonker of a course. Even more so if it's boiling hot!

I didn't have the heart or the energy to thrash myself into the ground last year and came out mid 1hr 24, when i'd done a 1hr 19 a few months before! I think you have to be a special runner to push yourself through the mental and physical pain barriers when you can feel the time slipping away!

• Options
    Thinking of doing the 1/2
    Have done Watford , Berkhampsted and St Albans this year. All hilly !
    Can anyone tell me what the course is like compared to those?
  • Options
    gjranit wrote (see)
    Thinking of doing the 1/2 Have done Watford , Berkhampsted and St Albans this year. All hilly ! Can anyone tell me what the course is like compared to those?

I did the Gade Valley 17 and 20 mile runs this year and I udnerstand they go over parts of the Berkhampsted HM course and the comparison is that those courses are hilly whereas High Wycombe is a hill.

The geography round there is the River Wye which flows round a spur from High Wycombe to join the Thames at Bourne End. The HM climbs up the side of the spur (0-2 miles), then follows the ridge of the spur downhill gently (2-6 miles), then goes sharply down the far side of the spur (6-7 miles) to join the river at Bourne End. The route back is then up the river so is gently up for the last 6 miles.

• Options

Hello Giranit - I've done Berko Half  twice and WHM 3 times. I found WHM a little harder for a couple reasons: the big climb and descent is quite steep followed by that gradual incline over the last 6 miles whereas Berko is undulating with a really nice fast finish. The other reason is that it's generally much warmer in mid-July than March. Probably 1-2% slower on WHM.

The finishing for WHM is superb though - nice park and atmosphere and first rate medal and goody bag.

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

My ears pricked up at medal & goody bag!

Relieved to see this starts early. Did a shorter race which didn't start until 11am yesterday & it was still really warm despite the threatening rain clouds.

How's everyone's training going?

• Options

I have entered this one as part of my marathon training and just wondered if the hill is as bad as the one at mile 8 of the Henley Half Marathon?  not that Im worried or anything as I dont mind hilly races image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's not being worried about hills per se, it's the effect they make on times.

After all a lot of us do cross country races, where hills are invariably steeper than in road races, and on tricker surfaces!

Better to have the hill early than later I think, then you can storm it and then see what kind of state you're in

Have the go ahead to do the 10k now. Will be my first race for a couple of months, so will be keen to get involved. Knowing you're "only" doing the 10k when there's also a gruelling half marathon doesn't half calm the nerves though image

• Options
    I'm in - just signed up. I've done the Watford Half once before without too much trouble, so I reckon I can clear this one!

Urb
  • Options
    It's fine. But that hill really is a brute if you've not run a half with similar involved. You will be quicker second 6 miles, but unfortunately from mile 1 to 3 I was struggling cos the hill killed me. If you've trained with plenty of hills, you prob won't worry so much   image
  • Options

Im in......I've only ever done one half marathon before and that was my attempt at the Picnic marathon and only managing the half when my knee gave out but that was rather hilly!

And being as its road I will be doing this barefoot image

See everyone there!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Berger, I normally find I do the second half slower than the first half image It's quite hard to keep the pace high on those last 6miles of slightly dragging incline!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

2 weeks to go until this one. I'm in for the 10k now.

When I was finishing my 12miler this morning it was starting to get warm..and that was 8.45! Hopefully the weather keeps itself cool for the big day.

• Options

yeah i did 12 miles yesterday and it was too warm, struggled the last 2 miles. Although a bit of cloud cover helped (about 11) - I was helping at the Parkrun at 9, and it was sunnier at that point, I think.

Anyway, I'm doing the MK half the same day. Good luck to all on Marlow Hill, I'll be thinking of you...maybe

• Options

Really looking forward to this now. Got a good few 10k races under my belt with improving time each one.

Can someone tell me what time the race starts. Can't seem to find it. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    9.30am Trippr....so nice and early
  • Options
    Oh. No... Wanted to buy my train ticket from London and it says there's engineering works on that day on the route... I don't know if I can face a rail replacement bus that early in the morning!

Does anyone else have the same issue or *sweet smile!* is anyone driving from London who could offer a lift?

I'm feeling really miffed... image
  • Options

Hello Fellow Runners!

I am from High Wycombe but I live in Liverpool! I am currently training for the Liverpool Marathon in October! But this half coincides completely with a scheduled 13 mile training run sooooo my question is, do you think I should come down and run this (I can stay at my mums), is it worth it? A proper half is better than just going out and running 13 miles by myself, I know! But what do you lot think because if it is cracking the flags I am not sure that I will enjoy it bearing in mind how hilly it is!!

xxx

• Options
    do it - it's not often a race that's handy for you co-incides so well with training
  • Options

@ <a href="../localiser/member.asp?sp=&v=1&MemNo=104999" title="Visit Stevie G . member profile">Stevie G ...</a> Cheers.

Everytime I come in here everyone is talking about how hilly it is! Just been out for another hill session. Really want to get my first HM race under the 2 hour mark. 

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Anyone had their race pack through yet?
  • Options
    They only sent them out as of yesterday.
  • Options
    The FoonThe Foon ✭✭✭

You should always train with a hill in mind, even in the gym make sure there's a gradient in there somewhere. Then when you level out it's like running downhill!

Looking forward to this - ran a x-country 12miler about 2 weeks ago, including sand, and the beach wall, at West Mersea near Colchester; that was tough, but with it being about 20 degrees made it tougher.

Good luck to everyone running in this heat!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Trippr wrote (see)

Hi again guys.

I was wondering if there were any showers around anywhere I could use after the race? Maybe a local gym or pool? I'll be coming down with my partner and my baby daugther and wanted to spend some time after the race taking a look around etc.

Cheers

Rob 

Trippr

Runners have access to the changing rooms on the Ryenear the start/finish used for football etc and these have showers. Some years they've also allowed free access to the outdoor pool to runners which is also next to the start.

Must be a good first race - it was mine, and this will be my tenth Wycombe in a row and 117th race, so it hasn't put me off!

Best goody bags in any race usually as well!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice stats Busboy....my stats are 6 Wycombe halfs, 19 halfs in total, and 125 races image

3rd go at the Wycombe 10k this year though...

• Options
    runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    I thought running around 10 races a year was pretty good but it's going to take me some time to get to 117 and 125 races.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Oops - typo should have been 112!

As you like the stats Stevie G, that's:
    3 Marathons
    23 halves
    5 10Ms
    5 7Ms
    27 10ks
    7 5Ms
    4 5ks
    22 trail/XC
    13 fell
    ...and counting! (125 eh SG? Some catching up to do!)

Just about to head off in the rain for my long run. Quiet on your thread today SG...
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yeah my thread seems to explode when i'm away and some days just be me wittering on..maybe there's something in that!

Runloz...10 races a year is so tiny...when you factor in 5ks and xcs and things. 10 big target races a year maybe!

Nice stats Busboy...i break my 10ks down into MT and road, just so the MT ones don't wreck the stats!

It's clearly the 5ks where I mash your total as I've done a monster  24!    27 xc too, and even 2 4milers...my favourite race was a 4miler that was my only race in 07...marked a comeback froma  ridiculous 6months of injury and illness.

I only came 14th out of  a tiny field of 85 in a  time of  24.20 in the 2nd year i did it! Not a bad quality field and losing to a 53 year year old and 14 year old.