Options

Grant & Stone Wycombe Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    SleepyLion wrote (see)

10K results are up... http://www.sportsystems.co.uk/ss/results/Wycombe%2010K/534

HM posted earlier in case anyone missed it: http://www.sportsystems.co.uk/ss/results/Wycombe%20Half%20Marathon/532

I think these are still provisional as they don't seem to include entries on the day: certainly I had a friend who came in sub 40 on the 10k and is not listed.
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Loz - I didn't enter Down Tow in the end, kinda glad too. I've got a 10k on Sunday instead & don't know if I'll be right for that. A niggle from a week or so again became a problem in the latter stages of the race yesterday & now my right side is in a bit of pain. Hopefully taking it easy this week & a few muscles soaks should sort it out.

If it's a different medal for the half then that gives me even more motivation to do it next year! I do like my medals me (that was no. 42 yesterday btw).

Just checked the results, little confused. Is that meant to be the chip time? My garmin got a different time.  

• Options
    k8, I think it might be a hybrid time.  I didn't see any sort of mat or monitoring at the start, but was swiped at the end- so it may be gun to finish?
  • Options

It's a gun to swipe chip timing from what I can remember. I suspect with such a wide starting line, no one is more than 30 secs from the gun time? Probably costs a little less...

We've been spoilt a little by other races that give a live feed of finishers .... definitely a plus for Marlow Half (but no medal there).

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Marlow is my club, and i have to say I've never seen any other race do that live electronic screen with instant race times!

So...erm..well done us.

to be fair though anyone completing that course deserves such thrills!

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    If it's gun to finish was the 'chip' in our number really worth it? I'm guessing the only benefit is that it saves the organisers recording times.

Stevie - if your club offered a medal I would be all for doing the half.

Just realised I caught my first glimpse of the legend that is Karen Samuels!
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Oh and sorry to burst your bubble Stevie but I think The Fix do instant times for some of their races.
  • Options
    SleepyLion wrote (see)

It's a gun to swipe chip timing from what I can remember.

Is that right, so you cross the line and then the clock still ticks until they swipe your top? I got to the line and stopped, it was at least a few seconds before I was swiped.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i did say i'd never seen another race do it...so if i don't go to "The fix" whatever that is, i can keep saying it! image

I remember running the Marlow half as a kid, and being gutted no medal, but when you've done a hell of a lot of races you stop being bothered by some little piece of tin!  It's funny when i was starting out i couldn't understand people not fussed about medals, but i'm one of them now.

For a big race like a half maybe, but not shorter races.

And yes i wish I'd seen KS, i'd have loved to see her reaction to me saying my forum name after all our banters!!

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Litlle piece of tin?! When you as slow as me, you need that little piece of tin to keep you going. Besides I'm on a medal quest, 100 before I'm 30!
  • Options
    runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    I wondered why some brave lady was trying to scan me after I crossed the line and was busy retching.
    I agree about the lack of medal at the Marlow half being a shame but it's the same with St Neots. In fact both are at the end of the year so perhaps there is a shortage of tin by then image
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i'm just thinking back over races, as i've literally turned 30 a week ago.... 126 done...probably about 40 of them were 5ks and xcs without them, and probably half of the rest didn't have them either.

The problem with medals is when you bundle them all together and the cheapitude of them starts them rusting, and then you suddenly have a bunch of rusting medals for your moneys worth!

It's why these days if i get a medal like yesterday that comes in a nice little bag, it stays in there!! Hard to resist showing it off wearing it if it's a half marathon though for sure.

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Wait, my medals hanging out together on my medal tree may rust?! Better check the British 10k as that is definitely the cheapest I own.

P.s. Ha ha, Stevie is old now!!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

mine managed to rust in a nice warm cabinet!

ps K8, couldn't resist it..had to check your pic on the photo site....nice bandana image

pps behave. I'm getting more handsome with age. Or something.

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Just checked some of my medals, so far so good.

Shit, I can't believe you looked up my photo. I always look awful in them. Where are the photos anyway? The bandana is my faithful running buddy, 95% of sweat comes from my head so it keeps it out of my eyes & my hair out of my face too.

Actually, isn't that a little stalker-ish?! Didn't a certain someone else do the same to you?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

hahaha behave, just checking you're not some nutter image

and i could tell you a few things about our little banned pal...trust me..you would be shocked! Off forum for that tho!

Pics at    http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/index.py?branch=home

• Options
     did anyone else see a man on the start line barefoot ?image
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's bonkers Dalli! Wonder how he gripped on some of those woody stretches.

Did no one else see a bunch of 4 half marathon runners, turn up from Marlow hill direction onto the Rye, right near the end of the 10k?!

I heard them asking the route, so don't know if they just turned up 36 mins late (precisely), or managed to take a ridiculously wrong turning!!

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Ok, not overly pleased with the photos but I have done a lot worse! Mick (of Mick 'n' Phil fame) said I didn't look anything he was expecting. For some reason he had me pegged down as some big rugby playing lass.

I gathered by your lack of photo on here you were changing avatars. When I did mine a few months back I it took bloody ages for them to upload my new one. I'm definitely changing it again.

Right, I'm off to check out your photos now to get my own back.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yeah i had the same one for years as i couldn't bloody get a pic small enough!

A kind IT pal helped change one of my pics  to the right size/format, and uploaded that today..so hopefully that shows us soon, as the big black pic is annoying.

I'm sure you'll find me a rugged gem in one pic, and a bloated old looking goon in the others image

I met Mick as well as Water Vole on sunday...always good to meet forumites.

I'll look out for your hanky...sorry bandana at Dorney!

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Back from cyber-stalking. I think the 2nd pic is one to be proud of.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    funnily enough, i've already cropped out the copyright, and nicked it for my fb profile pic image
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've met anyone off here but I do want to start changing that. No one around me in real life is into running so I love having a running community online, I just wan to build on that now

So you definitely in for Dorney? I might not wear the bandana to throw you off the scent!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

deffo in for Dorney. It's good to meet some of the online people...especially if you spend ages on about running to them!

I could recommend you joining the middle ground thread over on the training tab...lots of good people tgere, for advice, training talk, and wide range of abilities.

Means you have a thread to continue all year round, rather than these race specific threads, that people stop reading a bit after the race!

for now i must sleep..but we'll chat soon!

• Options
    Cheers to the marshals for making yesterday so great. Loved it and can't wait till next year
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    k8greene wrote (see)
    If it's gun to finish was the 'chip' in our number really worth it? I'm guessing the only benefit is that it saves the organisers recording times.

That's exactly what it's for. The swipe matches your race number to the recorded time on the line, thus cutting out room for errors on the recorded gun times and making for much faster publication of the results and prize placings.  Not chip timing, but just an accurate and more error free version of gun timing.

Just tried to change my avatar. Must be some delay before RW upload it?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

funny you should say that Busboy...as Ive literally just changed mine. Went through quite quickly, did it after 6 last night, and approved by about 9.30 today!

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

There normally is a few days delay before your new avatar appears. They have to 'vet' them to make sure no-one is uploading naughty pics. As if anyone using this site would do that!

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    I see Stevie's slipped through the quality control net image
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

happy with that pic. Look like some kind of rugged action hero saving humanity.

rather than the skinny weasel i am in the flesh image