Options

Mental illness and running

Comments

• Options

Hard luck this time Bear.

Hi, Soupy - big hugs (((SD)))

Been a couple of weeks since I've been on the prozac so I'm keeping fingers crossed for some improvement.  I've been in fairly good spirits at the start of the week but haven't been feeling that well so it's been a struggle still - and once again tonight haven't made it to running.  Got another 10k coming up a week on Sunday.  Really wanted to be a bit better prepared for this one - but it doesn't look like happening as my next chance for a run isn't until Saturday.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear you did not get the job, Bear.

Soupy, good luck for your interviews.

LR, better to be undertrained than overtrained and injured, well that is my theory, I will be run/walking my HM as I have only got to 6 miles, so its not looking like a fast time at all.

Bit stressed with work and FiL but keeping OK, got a good work colleague who can tell when I am getting stressed and she helps calm me down, only down side is that we do not work in the same office, but there again that may be why we get on.

• Options

CJ - it's not so much training as getting out running regularly to, hopefully feel more comfortable and less panicky with it to ensure that getting to the start line is going to happen.  Regular training is something I can only dream of.

• Options

CJ - apologies if that last comment seemed a bit snappy.  It was.  I'm having a bad week and on top of that am frustrated that I feel like I'm back where I was a couple of months ago finding it difficult to get out running at all and it's like I've just got to start all over yet again.  Don't know why I keep bothering.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

LR, don't worry about being snappy, I was on Monday. I have not been consistent with the running either.

I don't know why I keep trying to run, today was 2.4 miles in 31 minutes and yet again I had to walk. I believe that after over 25 years of running albeit always slowly that I have a habit.
    I just want to be able to run 5k without having to walk or be so slow that a walker goes faster than me.

• Options

Thanks, CJ.  I'm just making the most of some chill out time at the end of a tough day.  As ever could just do with more chill out time but hope for a better day tomorrow.

• Options

Owwwwwww....I've twisted my back and can't move. Was looking forward to a good evening out too image

• Options

Awww sounds like you guys could do with a massive cuddle. 
    It is horribly frustrating when you are fighting and fighting and it's just impossible to feel the rhythmn of a routine, I hate it too. I suspect though that the reason we all do it is because when it all just clicks into place and it works it is just incredible! 

I think we need some cheerful running stuff to remind us why we do it. My favourite ever run was the first time I accidentally ran up mud mountain in the torrential rain, I'd been feeling so dishearted and had been focussing on times and distances when really what I needed to do was let go of the anxiety and the pressure to succeed and just remember what it was in my heart and soul that makes me feel happy and free when I run. 

What about you guys? What's it like when it works? 

• Options

How is your back now bear? 

• Options

Ooh, SOLB, that's a real genius way to make me think positively about the running.  For me, when it works, it's just about making me feel OK.  Tommorow should be the next chance to get out - but I have the small matter of a beer festival today in Newark.  I really need to take it steady though so that I'm not unfit to turn out tomorrow.  Feeling a bit better for making it to the end of the week and a long weekend to come. 

Hope things are still good with you, SOLB.  I see those Facebook stalkers can check out your girlfriend now.  Wouldn't catch me doing that though.

By the way, I see your girlfrield's a vegan.  Excellent stuff.  Oops, blew it.

• Options

Oooh can we stalk? image

Back is quite a lot better thanks - which is good as I need to get supplies. I'm torn now as to whether to book an improv class for tomorrow - places are going fast but I don't want to book and then be in pain throughout.

• Options

Ha ha haa what naughty friends I have! I believe there is opportunity to stalk, I didn't name her but she foolishly commented on my status leaving herself open to stalkers! I haven't facebook stalked her at all, surprisingly .. you guys can be my spies!!

I was massively overwhelmed that I received over 80 'likes' for writing that I had a girlfriend, even though I didn't say anything about how lovely she is! 

I am obscenely tired though, we haven't exactly had much sleep in the last week or so  image 

I am off to see Dad and spotty though, a walk in the torrential rain doesn't seem as appealing as hiding under the duvet but alas! 

I'm really glad you are feeling a little better now that you've almost survived a tough week LR, you've done really well. To be fair it seems everyone has with interviews and running and general challenges ... I think we are all superstars and we all win cake as a reward! 

• Options

I can't find the vegan bit image

Yay we win cake image

• Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Solb, that's because we all like seeing you happy.  Even if you don't give any details we know that you are happy from the way that you word your posts.

You deserve someone special.  Actualy, we all do.

• Options

Hear hear image

In the meantime I'm focusing on stuff that makes me happy - like improv!

• Options

My back is still ouchy but a lot better.

How's everyone else?

• Options
    sb67sb67 ✭✭✭

As I'm new to this forum I'd like to add how much running/training helps me through my difficult times. For me there's nothing like running outside whatever the weather, sometimes the worst weather is the best! for distracting me from my gloom.

Unfortunately I cant do that at the moment due to some sort of illness but I'm improving albeit too slowly. I've explained it in my thread about statin side effects.

Cant wait to get running again, I've managed a couple of spinning and body pump classes at the gym but it's no way the same!

• Options

Not ignoring you, Bear.  Just catching my breath after a very enjoyable evening out at Birmingham Symphony Hall last night then off to York for an urban race this morning.  Very enjoyable and certainly helped me feel more positive - but tired out now not suprisingly.

• Options

Ooh, sorry sb - wasn't ignoring you either!  I wouldn't say I actually prefer worse weather but my state of mind always a bigger obstacle to running than the weather so I certainly don't let the weather stop me.  Hope you're able to get out running again soon. 

• Options
    sb67sb67 ✭✭✭

Thanks for that Lincon Runner, I done a body pump class at the gym today and was itching to run as it was so lovely but I had to hold myself back. Still, no adverse effects so onwards and upwards!

• Options
    Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

*Bounds in excited*

I got the job. imageimage

Hello sb67. 

• Options

image indeed and lots of celebratory hugs (((SD))).  Will post again later - off to running club.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Congrats Soupy.

Hello everyone. I am keeping up the PMA as its only 5 sleeps until the big race day for me.

• Options

Got through the run OK tonight but found the off road running pretty painful.  One added incentive to keep getting out is that I'm now on the schedule to lead a couple of runs in August and September so that will hopefully help encourage me to push on.

What was the job Soupy?  And which is the big race, CJ?  There's probably something really big that I should know about - but personally my sights are set on Woodhall Spa 10k this weekend.

• Options
    Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

Just got back from a celebratory curry.  The job is a full time job with community matrons trying to keep vulnerable people from being admitted into hospital by arranging home care. So interesting and means I can leave my terrible employer. Constructive dismissal notice goes in tomorrow. image

I did the Bupa 10k in London yesterday. Slowest ever time but most enjoyable race. Saw Mo Farrah running back along the embankment (great to be in same race as Mo) and really enjoyed it. Still buzzing

Good luck for your race Steady. I've got Enduroman half ironman on Sunday which I'm fretting about. 

I feel really well at the moment. Had a bit of a blip when my tablets ran out but picked up again now, so shows I still need them.

Good luck for Woodhall Spa LR. 

Waves to everyone else 

Bear - hope your turn for a new job comes soon.

x

• Options

Up bright and early - got half a day's work doing mock interviews for students image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good Luck for Sunday Soup Dragon. I have only done a sprint tri before so I am entering the unknown with nerves and bravado.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Hellooo, anyone about?

It has gone rather quiet. Is everyone OK.

I raced, I DNF'd, I have analysed why and now know what to work on for next time.

Onwards and upwards.

• Options

My last effort was a DNS at Woodhall Spa - more like fail to take the turn off for Woodhall and head home instead.  Next 10k entered for the Summer Solstice run so hoping this one doesn't get messed up.  Failed to get out for a run on the last two nights but made it to orienteering tonight and, as it was a very runnable area, managed to get a decent amount of running in which will hopefullly give me a better chance of getting out tomorrow night.

Otherwise, am likely to be offered counselling which I think would be more beneficial that the sessions that I am doing at the moment.