Options

Mental illness and running

Comments

• Options

Sorry to hear about your DNF steady. But well done for looking on the positive by planning forward.

I finished Enduroman mainly because of the generous cut-offs. It took me 9:30 hrs. Bike took 4.20, I would have been pulled off any other course. I really enjoyed it though and going back next year.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done Soupy, I have heard the run at Enduroman is a brutal course which I am sure I would hate.

• Options

It is brutal indeed Steady, but that gave me a good excuse to walk most of it. I only ran the downhill bits.

I've just read your race report. You poor thing, you sounded so gutted. And all because of stupid stubbed toe. (((Steady)))

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I am picking up now, planning my training for the next few months.

I am going to do my first ever Parkrun on Saturday, so will go from doing my longest ever event to the shortest possible. I tried a short bike ride, the toe is bruised feeling rather than painful now.

• Options

I'm also considering doing my first Parkrun on Saturday.  There's one just started up in Newark which makes it viable for the first time.  The only trouble is the start time.  I don't normally feel that well in the mornings so I can't tell until the time if I'll be feeling up to it - but I've got my barcodes at the ready.

Got out for a running club run tonight.  Went OK - found it pretty tough going on the off road parts but the road running was better.

• Options

Oooh loving all the positive vibes, so glad I popped in for a catch up. 
    I have been toying with the idea of regular parkruns when I get back from a whole month playing in America image 

I've been for a couple of short runs in the last few days, I can feel my running mojo coming back even though it's still pretty hard work - yay! 

How are you all? I'm really happy, I wanna share the smiles around image 

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

LR did you get to parkrun? I did my first one and was not last and managed to run all the way. The time of day for the run is not great for me, as I usually swim early on Saturdays and then its a rush to get there in time.

Solb, enjoy the other side of the big pond, hope you don't get homesick being away for a whole month.

• Options

Oooh what are you doing in America Solb?  Have fun image

I am having so much fun at the new improv class, laughing myself silly

• Options

My sleep has been all over the place - today at work I sent an e-mail then almost dropped off to sleep, then typed the same e-mail and sent it again.  The point of mentioning that was going to be that I didn't make the Parkrun - as I was wide awake at 6am but then nodded off and didn't wake up until 8.15 when it was just too late to get up and go. 

SOLB - great to hear from you and great that things are going well.  You know that I'm a Facebook spy - but it is great to see photos of your travels and things generally going well.

I'm having a mixed time of things - but overall at the moment doing a bit better than I was.  I've now been referred for interpersonal psychotherapy - as they feel that family issues and issues from my past are key to my problems - which I would agree with so I feel it's the right outcome.  It just feels like it takes so long to get anywhere.  I was fearing though that the sessions I was having could come to an end without really being able to do enough for me so at least that won't be a problem.

• Options

Didn't know solby was over the pond. How exciting. image

Last day in my job today!!!! imageimage Its a bit scary because I haven't got a start day for my new job yet, but I just wanted to get away and have a break. This morning I have an occupational health assessment with my new employer so I just hope that all goes okay then I'll be good to start in a couple of weeks. 

LR - hope your therapy helps, it sounds interesting. 

• Options

Great stuff Soupy!

When I get a job I'll be worried by the OH appointment - wibble image

• Options

Approved fit for work. image

• Options

I told them what caused it and what made it worse, but that I was now stable and knew how to recognise early warning signs.  The nurse was very supportive and put me down as having reactive depression to exceptional circumstances.  Phew!

• Options

The other thing to add is that she wrote down I have good insight and I think thats because I stressed how I know how to recognise the signs. Just in case thats a strategy anyone else might want to follow. 

Going away to hotel for the night in a minute to celebrate leaving and my wedding anniversary which is today. I'm feeling good. image

• Options

That's useful info Soupy, thanks.  Have a fun night out

• Options

YAY!!! Soupy that's amazing image 

I'm not over the pond yet, I'll be tootling over a week Monday - I haven't organised anything though :-/ 

I have just been out for dinner, ate really normally and chatted and had a nice time. I am so ridiculously happy about it I might pop and spray you all in vegetarian sushi! imageimageimage 

I have had a tough-ish time though, I'm having to change my meds over and am currently taking some tablets that the psychiatrist doesn't think will work because the meds they want to prescribe are very very expensive and unlicenced for depression ... I will have to take these ones just long enough for the side effects to become intolerable then swap back to the old ones while I'm in America but then will have the new tablets waiting for me when I get home. 

Bear your improv stuff sounds so so positive for you. 

Ooops to the oversleep, I keep meaning to do parkrun but either I am busy or don't want to get out of bed early enough to go cos the nearest is quite a way away

• Options

Lincolnshire remains a Parkrun free zone but there are a couple that have started up not far away.  I did get in time this morning but instead joined the orienteering club guys for a run.

Well done on the OCD-beating dinner date SOLB.  Really hope it goes well for you in the States.

Soupy - hope you're having a great well deserved celebratory weekend.

I have had a really hectic week and there are a number of problems going on.  Even so, I'm hoping that maybe the current anti-depressants are starting to have some effect.  Don't want to speak too soon as I thought the same about the citalopram after a few weeks but that came to nothing - but I am at least coping at the moment.

• Options

Hi all

Just found this thread and hope no one minds if I join in. I've had depression (diagnosed) for over 3 years - but in discussion with my counsellor it seems I may have been at least mildly depressed for many years. It was diagnosed following a minor heart attack which in turn followed two bouts of abdominal surgery. Most recently, I've been off work since mid March with a bout of severe depression and associated anxiety. This isn't good, I'm a teacher who really enjoys being in the classroom but I've been having panic attacks when faced with groups of young people on the rare occasions when I've been able to go out. The new meds are beginning to work - I think - and I had found that running was helping a lot. In the hours following a run I was more able to function.

Sadly I had a hernia op on Monday 10th June so I can't run for at least another week and even then it'll be very gentle. In the meantmie, I'm trying to get out and walk but that means seeing people and its very hard to put on a brave face. I've read a lot of the posts on this thread and am stunned with the bravery and support that everyone offers everyone else. I hoping that some of that will rub off on me. Had my meds changed shortly after being signed off, I've got OH in early July and an absence review meeting at work next week - not that I'm panicking you understand...

Kudos to all those who are fighting this horrible illness!

• Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Welcome Grimfoot,  I'm going through a good patch at the moment which is why I'm not posting much but its always good to get to know another person who we can share mutual support with

• Options

Thanks for posting Grimfoot.  That certainly must be difficult coping with teaching when things aren't good.  I'm certainly grateful that my office job at least allows some flexibility for me to avoid too much contact with others when I'm having a bad day.    Hope you can get up and running again soon.  I've got a 10k race coming up on Friday evening and, once again, I feel totally unprepared for it.  Just got to get myself in the best possible frame of mind for it - but it's not easy at the moment.

• Options

Hiya Lincoln, Caz. Oddly enough, once it gets going it isn't too bad because the kids give you such a lift with their openness and optimism - also, I've learnt to put on a mask when faced with them and to be ultra prepared when I go into the room. Its in the downtime that the doubts creep in, many's the night when I've stopped in a layby on the way home and cried my eyes out - even on the way in sometimes image It does feel that no-one understands how it feels, I was SO glad when I found this thread. At times I just feel dead inside - nothing, no emotions, nothing. Whoever described this as a black dog got it right sometimes but for me its more like a black shroud/cloud, nothing outside it seems to matter.

I'm timing at my local Parkrun this Saturday and starting out again next Monday. Good luck with the 10K, I hope that you can get there OK. Jealous, me? Loads. I can't run 1K at present but I'm clinging to memories of the BUPA in London this year - and watching Mo Farah come past in the opposite direction as I was just past 1.5 K!!!!! All the best...

• Options
    sb67sb67 ✭✭✭

Hi Grimfoot, thanks for sharing your stuff. I've been struggling with strange symptoms which have been put down to anemia and have been unable to run for 2 months and it's driving me crazy!! The way you describe the black cloud resonates with me or sometimes I feel as though I'm on a journey and spend most of my time in a dark tunnel and every now and again come out into the light but only to plunge back into the darkness again, however I try and value every day out of the tunnel and generally running helps me through. Afraid I'm in my tunnel at the moment but have started some meds so hope to start to pick up soon. Good luck recovering from your op, I've had hernias on both sides over 10 years ago now and after being fixed I've had no problems with them so I'm sure you'll be back running soon.

Steve

• Options

Grimfoot - it is a pain when they set those elite runners off ahead of the rest at the BUPA events.  That was giving you no chance of catching Mo up!

I managed to get up to an urban orienteering event in Brigg tonight and had a succesful run in the rain.  It's made me feel a bit more positive about tackling tomorrow nights event.  I hadn't felt well enough to get out earlier in the week so until this, it was not looking ideal to tackle an actual race as my first attempt to get back out there.

Do hope you guys can keep battling on and get back out there soon.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

LR, how does urban orienteering differ from the normal sort? or does it take place in parks and open spaces in an urban environment?

Feeling fine apart from the awareness that the aspergers type problems seem to be popping up more. I struggle to say or write the right things or it comes out not how I meant it, very frustrating.

• Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I've done the crying in laybys thing before now.

And the feeling of being dead inside is a reoccuring theme with me that doesn't seem to tie in with how well my life is going at all.  It kills the highs as well as the lows, which I hate

• Options

Hi, Caz.  Long time no speak! image

Urban orienteering just is usually in the streets - although courses often do make use of school grounds or a university campus.  The map is still an orienteering map so there are no street names to go by.  So it's no so much about compass navigation as keeping track of where you are and trying to find the best routes and not going down dead ends!

Hugs needed all round methinks.  ((((((Everyone)))))

• Options

Bless you all *hugs*

• Options

Another DNS at the Summer Solstice run tonight.  Just couldn't face it straight after a week at work - so yet another race entry goes to waste.  The timing just wasn't good - but when I have to enter a race in advance I have no idea whether I'll feel up to doing it at the time or not.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

That is a shame LR, I know what you mean about having to enter so far in advance. Are there any that you can enter on the day so that would take the sting out of feeling bad if you DNS. Admittedly after my day at work I would not want to have run, but I did nip out first thing and did 2 miles jog/walk.