Options

Bupa London 10,000 - Sunday 27 May 2012

1235»

Comments

• Options

Saw you Sonic - you made a very impressive sprint start!

• Options
    squirrellypoo wrote (see)

Yeah the misters were a big disappointment - the first one was placed so the wind from the river blew it away from the course, and the second one was so feeble that I could barely feel it as I ran past with my arms up. I wonder if they had to turn the pressure way down because of the hosepipe ban?

But really that was the only organisational problem of the day - this race is always so slick and well organised, and I had well-seasoned guys from my running club say this was their best race of all time, despite the heat. I've signed up for 2013 already today.

By my watch I finished in 49:45 but when the official times came through, I finished in 50:27! I have no idea how mine could be 45 seconds off, as I tapped in and out exactly on the mats. Did anyone else have such a big discrepancy with their official chip time?

So it's a little disappointing that I didn't get the sub-50 I thought I had, but it's still a big PB for me, and in those conditions, too!

This was the first time I raced as a pair, and my running buddy Daniel posted a great race report if you fancy a read.

I'm just glad there was plenty of water - I usually don't drink anything for a 10k but I drank half a bottle at each station and poured the other half all over me, which really helped!

Squirel,

My watch said 48.23 and the offical time was 49.24. Again started as soon as the elites went off!

• Options

I really enjoyed this race and like some others I have signed up for next year. I did not notice that my Garmin had frozen when I disconnected it from the charger in the morning so I was nearly late and spent the tube journey to Green Park performing a full reset / putting options back to my favourite configuration.

The heat made me run a more conservative race than normal but I was still pleased to run a negative split. A friend was determined to beat me for the first time over 10k so went off at a stupid pace and I serenely passed him when he blew up just after the return visit to the drinks station. Like others I found the misting machines to be useless and not worth the hassle.

Everyone involved in the setup and running of this race deserves a big thanks as I everything was fantastic. The only negative comment I have relates to the use of marathonfoto for the official pictures. They are ridiculously expensive for every race they take pictures at and I cannot face paying them no matter how good their photo(s) might be.

• Options

Thanks Bear!  I was seriously embaressed so did the first kilometre in 4 mins to catch up with the back of the pack image.  Ended up doing the rest in 5:15 to 5:30 splits unfortunatly because of the congestion - shame as I felt like I could've ran well in that heat!

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Squirrel, I found the chips to work ok. I made my time 48 mins 45 secs and the chip made it 48 mins 41. But the marshals at the start did point out the white mats to us so I made sure to start my iPod as my foot went on the mat.

What I did find odd was that my Nike GPS which is usually very accurate, made the course only 6.06 miles instead of 6.20. But am sure the course is accurate, must have just been the twists and turns that made the GPS inaccurate. Was good for me as I felt ready to collapse at the end so was pleased for the early finish!

Loved it despite the heat though and have already entered for next year. Lesson learnt re putting down predicted time though...I was pessimistic and put 55 mins and was put in Blue B. Meant I had to pass through most of Blue B and Blue A to finish in the time I wanted.