Options

Great South Run 2011

Comments

• Options

I got me a Garmin 305 Forerunner - its my Christmas present from my girlfriend but she wanted me to have it early!!!

Good run tonight, 5 miles with 16 x 1min fast/slow - cadence up around 178ish so getting there.

No race pack Jelly but I'd start panicking Monday is its not there by the evening!

• Options
    no pack here either but have had the email saying its on its way which is a relief.

left foot much better which is a relief. Ran into school and back today with no problems (apart from the frost at 6.30am - mad or what)

just realised (silly me) that the clocks change that day so the timings wont be exactly as my body clock thinks they are. I like early morning runs and find it harder as the day goes on - argh!!

husband has now decided that he is probably not well enough to come after all (he has ms) so I reckon I might blag a lift with a friend. If not, then I'll join you on the train as I live in C.Ford and the Romsey train passes straight through!

Hope your run was good tonight Wendy. I'm just going to potter from now on
  • Options
    OK now I know i"m getting nervous, as the silly questions keep popping into my mind ......... as this is my first mass participation event what's the done thing with regards to clothing if it's cold. Is it acceptable to wear an old jumper and just discard it at the start, or are you expected to carry it around with you?

PS still no pack image
  • Options
    like you I'm not certain. I know some events have storage areas where you can collect stuff afterwards. i guess we will find out when the packs arrive
  • Options
    Racepack has arrived!!

Neil, there is going to be a baggage area and there's a baggage label included in the pack so there should be no problem with just leaving spare clothing there. Although I haven't done the race before so haven't experienced how busy the baggage area can be.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

When i've run any race before i normally discard an old jumper. It's a good excuse for me to get rid of some of my old clothes image

Race packs arrived - it all seems very real!

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

hi all, have my race pack, got it last week actually.

rttb, I do hope your achilles is ok!

I ran 10 miles last night and when I tell you the longest this year has been 6, apart from one 10 miler in march, I am so happy I got round! Very slow 1.46 but I really dont care.

I am getting a lift from a friend who isnt running and was going to drop me off and  go park but now I m aworried he may not be able to park.  Will check out options this weekend.

clocks changing is lovely image

hope everyone is ok  

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    ah chownsie, cadence advice was invaluable last night especially in the latter part
  • Options

Hey Wado - I'm glad it helped out - it can be annoying having the ticking in your ear but I've been told that after a few months in becomes natural!

Neil, you'll be OK to discard an old jumper, loads of people do it. There is a bit of a mass warm up before you set off, if you're into that sort of thing and dont have your own routine to go through.

I was thinking, if anyone is interested, we could meet up at one of the stalls, before/after. A mate of mine is working for Alton Sports, so we could go there? Or maybe near a charity tent....

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    ooh sorry Chownsie I am confused what is the ticking?  I only mean I was mentally picking up the pace and getting the cadence higher in the latter part, is there a gadget? 
  • Options

You can buy a clip on metronome for about a fiver from Amazon that will click away and you can pace to it.

Or you can get an ipod track from

http://www.reztronics.com/prod01.htm

Or as Apple would like to say, theres an app for it - a metronome app.

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    wow so I didnt have to run counting out loud, lol!
  • Options

Got pack through, first time I have ever been in white normally get put in green

also got my 5 year olds race pack, very nice red t-shirt, I am sure he will put up a fuss about doing it but I will be running with him on the saturday.

finished nights this morning and not back to the land of the living yet, may do 4 miles tonight and then long run sunday, getting excited 

• Options
    Have pack will run,

still got this virus, not stopping me run the miles, i always seem to get parked 10 min walk, not many places there so not telling you. You can park on the green next to the run but always seems to be a pain to get out after.

• Options
    Got my pack today, they sent me 2! So got 2 entries in orange - weird
  • Options
    Got my pack too - what a relief

having curry to eat tonight as I feel a bit coldy - hoping that will burn it out. Gosh we are fuss pots!!!

I'm in white too
  • Options
    Pack arrived I'm in white as well. Now just can't decide whether to risk the drive or the train, why is life so confusing ............. nervous what me!!!!!
  • Options
    Best of luck to everyone. This is my first 10 miler and I am looking to finish the same day I start. Let's hope the weather is kind to us. Enjoy!!
  • Options
    Does anyone know how the waves are worked out ? I have a different colour to
    My friend who claims to have put down the same estimated time , though this could be a case of memory failure by one of us , it was a while ago now !
  • Options
    I wondered about the timings as well HRF, I think I put down 1hr 30 as my estimate and I'm in white.
  • Options

From what I know from memory (and I struggle)

Orange is generally club runners and people around 80 minutes or so (who put down 80 minutes) - go off first behind the elites.

White, well as far as I know, is a mixed bag - 90 minutes onwards but you do get a lot of people who under-estimate here, so if you are looking for 90 si, get yourself in the front or back of the Orange.

Green will be your 1:40/1:45 onwards I'd think.

HFH, just get yourself in the same wave, as long as you are confident of whaever time you put in. Wear an old jumper to cover your number and discard prior to the off. They do get mixed up anyway, just as long as you dont cause a road block image you'll be ok.

My pack came through, I'm in Orange wave, so I'm happy!!

Good luck and welcome Sennaton, you'll get round no dramas. Neil, calm down man - you will be OK - take a train in from Fareham or something.

Malc, see you on the start line image

• Options
    Chownsie - yes and paris, i'll be the one with two numbers!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Chownsie I'll probably go for the front of white as my last run came in at 1hr 20.

Has anyone got any set idea of the time they're heading in yet? The trains seem quite frequent for a sunday morning so perhaps a proper bit of planning from the train companies.

I've just realised as well that it's clock change weekend so an extra hour in bed for some. An extra hour of work for me image
  • Options
    Guess I'd better hide out at the back of orange image
  • Options
    If you want to join your friend make sure you are in the slowest wave, you will not be able to go forward of your wave but can go back, that way you start together.

Good Luck
  • Options

My race pack arrived too. I'm in green as usual image

Last year, the organisers said they tried to put a mix of times in each wave, so as to spread out the pack for the finish, and not have splurges of runners. I guess they may have done that with you and your friend, HRF. I've found they don't really care if you're standing in the wrong wave colour as long as you don't try and put yourself in the elite runners area, or at the very front of a wave.

With regards to the left luggage area, it is very easy and not too busy to use. Basically, you can only get into the area with a race number on, and you leave your stuff in a pile in the main room of the pyramids (where the bands play) in a area assigned by alphabet, so it isn't like you have to wait for someone to go and find your bag for you afterwards.

I did my final long preparation run last night instead of the planned one on Wednesday due to an error in the laundry organisation, doh! I was doing fine until about 1hr in and then my outside thigh on my right leg started to ache. I managed to continue for another 20 mins but then I started to get a pain above my knee so decided to stop there. I'd done 7.25 miles, so not great but it was a cold night. My leg is still hurting today, so I am thinking I will not run on Saturday morning as planned, and have a gentle 2 or 3 mile run on Sunday evening instead.

• Options
    Lil.Lil. ✭✭✭
    MY PACK IS STILL NOT HERE.Gggrrrrr image I don't care which band I get put into as long as I get it...
  • Options

Chownsie - I've got a Garmin 305 - they're fab aren't they?!!   image

I received my pack at the start of the week, I love how they print your name on the number! I will be starting in white, so pleased with that. 

My best 10 mile time in training was 1:38 which I was really chuffed with bearing in mind hilly Wycombe! So my target will be sub 1:35 in the race.

Really just want to stay injury free - I have loads of bother with lower leg niggles, sore calfs and shins. I finally invested in a foam roller and I also bought the 2XU calf guards which have helped so much - I sleep in them after a session and wear them until lunch time at work. Money well spent I think! My calves have felt the best this week in a long time (touch wood they stay that way!) 

Am very excited now, 9 days to go!

• Options

image  NO PACK!!!!! 

They sent me an email on the 11th saying I would receive it in 5 - 10 days time so I emailed them today but no reply..........hopefully it will come on Monday though - if not - I really will start panicking!

Chownsie - hope you're enjoying your Garmin! My husband bought mine for me - very useful these 'other halves' and very tolerant I might add!! I haven't really used mine to its full potential yet, but maybe once this run is over I'll look more carefully at it and prgamme it etc

Runner bean - good running well done! Glad you invested in a foamie - I love mine!

Emmy - Bug - hows things with you, and your mum?

Wendy - thanks for the info re left baggage etc. Hope your leg gets better.

I think I'll do a couple of shorter runs and if it stays dry I'm really temtped to do the 4-5 mile XC on Sunday and just take it easy........image

Last week of training to go - I'm getting excited and anxious all at the same time - I think I'm driving my husband mad!! image

• Options
    Jelley, I don't know if you look on the South Run facebook page but it isn't flooded with comments and I have seen people ask about their pack and get an answer on there. Good luck if you go for the cross country and to all others racing this weekend.