Options

Thorpe OW swim Tuesday eve?

Comments

• Options

hahahaha - Faffers thought I'd signed in at the lake as Soupy! image  

Blue string pudding all round then! imageimage

• Options
    I am in Norfolk Tuesday and will struggle to get back on time for Thorpe. Are we still on for Weds & a carvery, which I should be able to make.

Good luck in the river swim tomorrow guys and gals.
  • Options
    I can make Wednesday for a Mychett carvery. Oh and a swim too.
  • Options

Loved Thorpe and may drag my training buddy there one Saturday morning as he seems keen.  Likes the idea of early out and back before the family stir but still time for a bacon buttie of course. image

I won't be partaking this week.........I have had my golden passes for a little while me thinks. imageimage

• Options
    Wednesday carvery sounds good and as I finish about 6pm Tuesday I'll try to head down to Thorpe as well. Nice paddle down the Thames this morning. 2.25 miles in 1 hr 15/20.
    I need a tip though.
    How do I stop getting cramp in my calves on these swims? Every swim with a wettie on has given me cramp.
  • Options

Well done on that swim PS.  That's a great time. image

Not really sure about the cramp but my training buddy suffers the same thing.  He puts it down to too not being hydrated enough before he swim.  Also drinks water with nuun tablets the day before a big swim but happens in a pool too so not the wettie for him.

• Options

Isn't cramping due to lack of salt?  If it is, maybe try salt tablets instead of nuun etc?

Disclaimer: I may be talking out of my arse image

• Options
    Giving your mouth a rest Schmunks?!! <ducks> imageimage
    I'll try the nuun tablets and salt this week, if I can get hold of any! I didn't used to suffer in a pool, but neither did I used to swim more than 50m before turning round, pushing off and going back again!!
    I'd had a fair amount last night and a few drinks this morning and was glad I arrived early to use the portals before the queues built up!
    Thanks for your advice btw!
  • Options
    Siggy, get some Nuun sorted and a couple of bananas couple of hours before.

My understanding is salt yes, but potassium instead of sodium, which you get in bananas, and of course, Nuun. Alcohol the night before does not help either. You could try a slug of Nuun each lap in practice, see how it works. Or you can use dioralyte but it tastes shit.

Good time in the thames BTW.
  • Options

I started to get cramp in my calf today too which is unusual for me but I just carried on swimming with my foot flat to stretch out the muscle.

I think I might be up for Wednesday image 

• Options
    I may be there on Wednesday too, don't think I'll make Thorpe tomorrow as I have a Cricket Club committee meeting at 7.30 after a 6pm finish!
  • Options
    Have stuck me kit in the car just in case I get back early tomorrow but if everyone is Weds only, might do a run or bike instead. Or I might even do both swim days. Ooer.
  • Options

Dustboy  - I'm planning biking Richmond Park tomorrow if you fancy a slow tootle round?

Wednseday is sounding like a good social session. image

• Options
    I am up in Norfolk so it's guesswork as to what time I will get back but cheers anyway.

With a snorkel I could actually sort of talk the whole way round you know. That'll make you go much faster to get away from me!
  • Options
    Don't think it was missed that you both bottled out yesterday!! Hampton Court to Kingston wasn't that bad and you could have come away with a bar mat as part of your finishers gifts afterwards!! I can tell how impressed you would have been! image
  • Options

I wanted to do Thames Swim on a lilo and just float down river but then thought it might be banned.  Now had I known I'd get a bar mat......................

Well done Siggy and Blue and Trogs (and everyone else who finished). I can't swim that far yet.

• Options

Thanks Soup, next year?  Or is that around the same time as Outlaw?

The bar mat was the only finishers gift I got image  For those of us who have hair it's quite useful for putting round your neck afterwards to stop your top getting wet.

I should be up for tomorrow but I am going to body combat tonight for the first time in months so there is a distinct possibility my abs will be killimg me!  I could always just "coach" image

• Options
    I'm in the area and in serious need of an open water swim. What time are you all arriving tomorrow?
  • Options
    5.45 ish. Ish. Siggy & ITB will be towing the water skiers and I am the one that doesn't shut up. Soupy exposes herself on the bus ;O) It's not quite Thorpe but it's carvery nite at about 7 quid I think.
  • Options

I'll be a bit later than that, about 6 ish I think, but by the time Dusty's faffed we should all be ready together image

ETA I think I need to be called Blue not ITB as that's also Iron tractor boy and I got scared when ITB was on the list for outlaw or some such IM nonsense image

• Options

Hahahaha - Blue is doing Outlaw! imageimage

I won't be exposing myself tonight as I'm going ready prepared. image  I'll be there about 5.45 - 6 depending on traffic.  See you all later. 

• Options
    Not sure if you will see this before you go guy.  Not feeling well so about to go home so won't make this evening, enjoy the carvey..........oh and the swim image
  • Options
    I won't make it either, car problems! Enjoy the carvery!
  • Options

Oh dear, lots dropping out!  Get well guys (and their cars).

Still going to go, after work today I really need to do something!

• Options

A small select group and a good swim.  5 laps!   A bit too much weed though.  Dusty said he's going back next week with a set of shears. image

Good to meet Alan (you really need a silly name, I feel odd calling someone something sensible image)

Sorry Blue and Siggy didn't make it.  Thorpe next week.

• Options
    Today, we were The Sea Devils from Dr Who. Well, we looked like them draping weed.

Carvery was shut so we had burgers & chips that were actually pretty reasonable if a little on the pricey side.

Soupy says she has a pub for afters next week that does grub.

Suppose it has to be a go at the double 1500 loop really?

Good evening had by all, water was a bit colder.

Thorpe next week. It's the best at the moment by a country mile IMO.
  • Options
    Excellent evening, thanks Soup and Dustboy.

Hmm, silly name... I'll have a think...

Weeds were annoying, felt like they were strangling me at times. Looking forward to Thorpe next week.
  • Options
    OK silly name for Alan W.

Grassy? (A lawn anagram)?
  • Options
    Very good. I'll keep thinking though image

Well my nickname at work is Le Camping.

To clarify, that's because I sometimes camp instead of commuting and not for any mincing related reason!