Options

Enduroman 1st - 10th June 2012

Comments

• Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Wow, what an amazing event!  I went down to support for a couple of hours on the frist day and ended up staying until Seren finished at just after 2am this morning.

I'll let the competitors post thier own reports, but just wanted to say that we have some amazingly tough Pirates amongst us.  Purple did herself proud with her pure determination to keep going when things were not going right for her.  The video that LN posted shows her at the start of the last bike lap, which she really didn't want to do, but she dug deep and found the mental strength and determination to override her aching body and she got out and completed that last lap against the odds.  She really is a tough cookie.

Seren also did fantastically and pulled herself though some very tough moments.  Also worth mentioning was her son who supported her almost single handedly and only got about 4 hours sleep himself (because we insisted) as he didn't want to let her down.  I am never doing an event like that, but if I do then I want him supporting me.  Seren could make a lot of money hiring him out.

It was the best feeling ever to see Seren cross that finish line.  She was so tired that she couldn't walk in a straight line, but she did herself proud, and I do believe she came 2nd lady (although I was too tired to hang around to get that comfirmed last night).

Purple's support team were another amazing bunch who kept her going for as long as possible, and then continued to support Seren.

It was nice to meet the other pirates and support crew.  The three doing the half and single all looked strong from beginning to end and seemed to be permanently smiling.  It was sad to see Symes pull out but great to have his, and his support crews, company for the remainder of the event.

I feel absolutley shattered today.  I can't even begin to imagine how those who were competing must feel.  So proud of the lot of you!

• Options

Gosh, I've come over all tingly and blinky.

That's a lovely reports SuperCaz.

Sounds like Seren's boy did her proud!

• Options
    SuoerCaz nicked my post so all I can say is 'what she said'.

Great weekend full of life, love, and laughter. Some low points along the way, but courage and determination overcame them

Commiserations to those where fate conspired against you.

Awesome pirating from all those taking part
  • Options

Supercaz really sums its up.

It was a superb event, and the support was amazing. Pirates were brill as usual image

Seren is super tough and I am so pleased for her.

I'm too tired to type much at the moment...other than to say I think I have unfinished business. Roll on Enduroman 2013.

• Options
    He did, Hope image

Without meaning to patronise, he was very mature and responsible and was the perfect Sherpa. He was almost bullied into getting some sleep because he wanted to be there for Seren every swim stroke, pedal, and step of the way.

There should be Double pride (DYSWIDT image) in Seren Towers today
  • Options
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Ive heard that Seren is ok this morning, though having a little difficulty getting up when sitting down image

Just tell her to keep moving about then image 

As others have said, I can't even begin to comprehend doing anything like this, and certainly no more than a single IM, since I can't even get round one of those!  The physical challenge is one thing, but the mental challenge must be equally as immense, maybe even more so?  Top sherpa'ing too, and huge congrats to Seren's boy for doing such a top job.  The course looks fantastic from the videos, and it gives me a sense of having a really close-knit feel to it, for such an epic event.  If I ever consider it, I might think about the half, which quite frankly, looks hard enough!

Well done to everyone who was out there taking part image

• Options
  • Options

I completely echo what Caz & Schmunkee have said about Seren's son, he was so dedicated and superb in supporting his mom, and did a brilliant job.  He walked most of the last 12 laps with her in which were pretty horrid conditions.

I thanked him after the race and told him how proud he should be of what he'd done to help.  Not sure he took it in at the time as was still looking after his mom. 

I hope he sees this thread.

Well done.

• Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I said the same thing Barley, so hopefully it sunk in a bit

• Options
    I said it too before I left image
  • Options
    Yaaaaaay Super Seren ... Utterly awesome job...very well done ???
  • Options
    God dam iPhone the ??? Was a smiley when it left here grr
  • Options

Mrs S here - just want to say a big thank you for all your support and kind words. Am not ashamed to say that I have blubbed so much over the last couple of days but hey, its not the end of the world. I just know I am married to one amazing person and am proud to be a Pearson! 

Seren - huge congratulations and hugs. You are an amazing lady and I am very proud to know you. And what can I say about your son - he is a massive credit to you. 

Ditchy - dont be embarrassed by your achievement. You were fab and well done HH too.

Mon - it was lovely to see you so happy and hope you and Dave enjoy all your new adventures together. Perhaps you will join Symes with another mad idea one day?!!

Purple - sorry it didnt work out for you but be proud of what you have achieved.

Finally, I hope to see a lot of you lovely people in 3 weeks at Outlaw. Symes is supposed to be racing but I guess we will be supporting instead now and getting pissed on the Monday after!!

Sorry if I have mised anybody but again love and hugs to all.

Jane x

p.s. thanks to Mrs F and Schmunkee for big hugs when I needed them. Hugs are good!!

• Options
  • Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

Pirates Rock

they most certainly do imageimage

• Options

They were very relaxed about the cut off times.

For the double the swim cut off was based on availabily of support crew and boats.

The bike cut off wasn't really enforced, I was told as long as you were trying and keeping going then they would support you. 

The final cut off was based upon the need for the event to stop at some time ! We were told they were going to be strict about that, but in the end they weren't.

• Options

Brilliant Stufff! I'm not sure who to congratulate more, Seren or her son by the reports on here.

Already offered commiserations on facebook to Purple but also gutted for Symes. You did absolutely fantastic! And as so many have said before me, huge congrats to anyone who gets on the start line for this event. I plan retiring from the single IM after Austria, unless I end up moving to AZ with work in which case it would be downright rude not to do IMAZ image

Well done to all others who raced there over the weekend. Great stuff!

• Options

They extended the cut off KK because of the toughness of the course compare to their old course at Lichfield........

• Options

Thank you to everyone that supported and sent messages........I will do a race report tomorrow............just to say I have never been so tired and huting as I was for the last 20 odd miles of that run.......My son is still laughing about all my hallucinations........he had to walk with me for the lasp 10 or so laps as I was in danger of wandering into the lack trying to stroke the cats I could see.image

and there was Vashta Nerada  in all the toiletsimage

so thanks all it was amazing and i was awake at 7:30 anyway and as I was squatting I couldn't really complain and i had to get up to pack the car and put the tent away.........

It was great to meet chilli boy who stormed it and all the other pirates that make these events special 

The pirate hotlinbe worked in getting my phone number to another one which reculted in me keeping warm and dry instead of being in a wet tent.definitely helped

Thanks for your comments about my son.........he really is amazing and even when he peruaded that he could sleep for a few hours as I was on the run....he still made me some sausage butties first.........I am indeed a proud mother who has been lucky to get a son who is able and willing to  do so much for me

• Options

And does anyone know why jo didn't finish the ultra.......only 2 girls in it and both dropped out ...I was suprised about Jo.but it was tough

• Options

I believe she needed to catch a train to Sheffield and knew she would not have enough time to get there if she did the 100.

• Options

seren - fabulous result - I lurk on your training occasionally and therefore had no doubt that you would pull out a brilliant performance. Gutsy and determined. You're also a lovely poster so I am unsurprised that your son was a real star. Great mum and athlete image

Commiserations to those who had a bad day. Hope the injury mends soon Symes. Well done to Ditchy. 

• Options

It's late, it's brief but I will post tomorrow properly.

First of all thanks to everyone who was cheering yesterday, it made a massive difference not only on the bike when I was still relatively fresh but most importantly on the run section.

Seren, I can't believe you finished, you looked so bad in the afternoon when I started the run but you stuck in so well. I'll say more about your laddie tomorrow ( sorry didn't pick up his name ), but for you he was the eternal star in my book, great to speak to as well. Be proud mum and be proud son!!

I'll post more tomorrow. 7 hour drive home ( not me ) today, sorted a few bags and drank a few cans of lager!!

• Options

SXeren - your son is who you made him. You're a fantastic mum, friend and athlete. I'm prouod and humbled to know you.

• Options

Well here goes....

Before

The race briefing was excellent. Whilst we were waiting we watched a video of a guy doing arch to arc. During his swim of the channel he suffered from really bad sickness, he was stuck 3 miles outside Calais for hours on end, unable to get in because of the tide.  It was awe inspiring and quite appropriate for what I was about to experience later on.

The guys from Enduroman were brilliant and it was clear from the beginning that they would do anything they could to help you complete the event.

I slept well, I usually suffer badly with nerves but this time around I felt quite relaxed. It was great to meet up with the pirates over breakfast, particularly good to see Supercaz who had decided on the last minute to pop down (just for a couple of hours!).

The Swim

I was never really worried about doing the swim distance but I do have lots of OW demons and always struggle during the swim with panic attacks, cold and an inability to sight.

The swim was 26 laps. During first 11 laps I struggled a bit with my breathing and was a bit panicky but much less so than previous events. During breakfast Barley had joked about how you couldn’t possible go wrong with sighting in such a small lake  - well guess what happened in Lap 7 ! I suddenly bumped into a canoe, I was heading the wrong way, what was even funnier was someone was following me <span style="font-family: Wingdings; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-char-type: symbol; mso-symbol-font-family: Wingdings;">J. I decided to stop for a drink at the end of lap 11. My support crew told me I had being going for 1 hr 4 mins, I was shocked as I thought I had being swimming really slowly but that was a reasonable pace for me. It got easier after then, I stopped a few times for drinks and quickly lap 26 came around. I stopped at the lap counter as I wanted to savour the moment when she said “last lap”. She had been so cheerpy all the way through the swim and had always had a smile on her face when I called out my number, I couldn’t imagine doing that for 3.5hrs. I gave her a big smile and thanked her and really enjoyed swimming my last lap.

The support was great, I could my daughter shouting “go mum” as I went round, I also heard Barley cheering. I can tell you those shouts make a huge difference.

My support crew were waiting to help me walk back to the changing rooms. I felt like a celebrity having support crew, they did everything for me – fab image. They helped me get dressed and bought food and drink. I had warned them that I may not want to eat as I sometimes feel a bit sick when I get out of the swim. So we weren’t worried that I wasn’t hungry.

• Options

working from home today, so Part two will be later