Options

Enduroman 1st - 10th June 2012

Comments

• Options

Holgs and Mr SA at enduroman 2013 - will be like Outlaw all over again imageimageimageimage

• Options
    Monique wrote (see)

Good report Lisa, it's all about eating and if you can't then it's game over. You can concentrate on getting to grips with that before next time-. I had a spell of nausea on one of the maratthons this year, for me it's down to getting my salt balance right, I had dyralite and salt tablets but was neccking salt direct from the salt cellar prior to that.

I tend to take a lot of calories via drinks as eating is diffficult, slimfast, complan, mars milk, build up etc all made with milk. Then rice pudding and fruit in  jelly on the run. A new discovery this year was coffee with vanilla torq on the bike . Practice with all those things on your long rides and see if any of it works for you.

Thanks Monique. I've never had any problems eating before (usually just the opposite !). I will definitely try the liquid options.

• Options

As the race start had been moved to 9 am we racked the bikes in the morning.....I put some air in the tyres....but the valve bit on the front tyre came off in my hand....i managed to screw it back in and pump it up......got to the transition area and the tyre felt a bit softer..........so decided to be safe i should change the inner tube..........so struggled to change it and a nice gentleman helped me and got the new one in and left me to pump it up.......after a few minutes ..I realised it wasn’t getting any harder........took it back off and discovered the massive hole in it..........gutted and proceeded to try and put the second one on........again another nice gentleman helped me change this one.......and when i pumped it up it stayed up.............I was a bit worried that things happen in threes and that I was now late for breakfast...managed to quickly stuff down a bacon sandwich and a sausage sandwich and a can of diet coke and headed for the lake........

Wetsuit on and I was ready......never ever gone anywhere near the distance and the one 5k swimathon i did my time was close to cutoffs.......needed to do 2 laps every 15 mins and that would leave me a 15 min safety valve for stops for drinks etc.......

My plan was to draft as much as I could for the first 2  hours before the swimmers started leaving the lake.......we started and by 100m I discovered the pack had left me for dead.......there was at least 25 m of clear water infront of me and just 2 swimmers behind me....My right shoulder started hurting on lap 2 which is early on for me....I kept on swimming not getting near anyone and at the start of the lap 3 was being lapped already.....I have never been bumped into so many times a couple of the fast boys were just plain rude....swimming over you when they had all the space and speed to swim around.....one even grabbed my leg and then swam over me in the area where you had to stop and give your number.......my language was not very good and he was given a warning after by the organisers I believe............i was worried that I was already behind schedule but waited until the end of lap 8 to ask the time........it was only 9:50.....i was 10 mins ahead of time.........I was amazed.........kept going and going and this pace continued until the last 3 or 4 laps when I really struggled.....my shoulder wanted to stop working and for the first time I started to feel cold..only managed 10 pees in the lake so it hadn’t warmed up...it was just a case of keeping moving and knowing that I was ahead of schedule helped.........i only stopped twice for some lucozade sport and a bite of cookies.........I came out of the water relieved that part 1 was completed ...not only before the cutoff but the time was faster than double my IM swim PB........i was already 30 mins up on the day....there is a walk from the lake to the changing tent and my Sherpa arrived at the lake as I came out with two bacon butties and some pepsi max..........I drink so much water swimming that i need something to mop up all that water in my stomach...the butties went down great ........and I’m sure the coke kills off any lake bugs...into the changing tent and with losing the use of my left hand  temporary  Caz helped me get dressed into my bike clothes.......I was ready

Swim time 4.8miles in 2:55:05  7 female from 7image

• Options

I'd forgotten about the rude swimmers. I got swam over twice, I couldn't believe it. There was absolutely no need there was plenty of room in the lake.

• Options
    Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Mmmm ...... i remember SA saying his plans were not to "go long" next year image 

• Options
    Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Sorry ... forgot to say fantastic race report Purple!  Had a bit of a trembly lip going on when i was reading it image 

• Options

I had trained all winter on my bike knowing that it was hard and knowing that I had missed the IMW cutoff by 10 mins....My main aim was to avoid wasting time off the bike...My plan was to only stop every other lap to change my drinks bottle and to pick up food........every 4<sup>th</sup> lap i would stop to come off the bike for 4 mins to sit down with some hot food.......soup or chips or something similar....My son had 4 different bottles ready for me each time.....squash, energy drink, water and coke and i would tell him what i fancied.........this really worked....and i avoided the coke apart from when i stopped for warm food....I also took salt tablets whenever I took iprobufen...As there was 50/60 of us out on the bike course i expected company for part of it but apart from lap one i cycled alone with the occasional fast one riding past me always with a cheerful word of support.....here were some great parts of the course and some I hated....went past one of the triples near the end of his ride and he was riding in the middle of the road.i tried to encourage him onwards and to move in a bit......he was a bit out of it......

We were so lucky that the horrible weather of the previous days had disappeared and we were warm and dry....made a hell of a difference.......the laps kept going and it was soon night time reflective jackets on and lights...........after a couple of laps one of the marshalls came over to say my reflective jacket wasn’t up to scratch...the only one that he would allow was a long sleeve winter jacket.....he wasn’t going to let me out on the next lap...Eddie one of the 2 main organisers came over and I told him I would pass out on Braggers lane if i had sleeves on .........it was late but still warm......his comments was I remember you from last year......( I wore Monaco and shorts on the run in the torrential weather).....he agreed to let me go out in it as I had plenty of lights and my crew went in search of a short sleeve reflective jacket that was passable.........luckily symes came to the rescue for my next lap.......

I was fine until lap 15 and then kept on finding myself on the wrong side of the road..........my son had told me I was 90 mins ahead of schedule so I decided to stop for a nap/......25 mins on the sofa in the lounge and was woken for my last 5 laps...........I was feeling much better and kept on moving........although the hills were killing me........there was twice as many hills per lap than at the beginning........last few laps i got into the habit of stopping at the bottom of Braggers lane for a pee behind the horse box........then taking a big mouthful of sweets I managed to force myself up braggers lane...........this hill was fine for the first 7 laps but became so long and steep by the end of the bike........then back for the turning circle.....I was slowing down but on the last lap got talking to a guy doing the half......his bike was his weakest part and we chatted away for about 5 miles..it felt so much easier whilst chatting side by side............but I sent him up ahead at braggers hill as I knew it was a slow grind...............it had been a lonely day and night on the bike which was only broken up by the great welcome each time at the turning circle ...to see people there each lap was brilliant.....made such a difference........and to see my son and caz there every lap in the night was a welcome sight.....My son always had lots of choice of food for me ..always had the drink I wanted.changed my sweetie bag every 4 laps..............i didn’t stop eating and drinking .i think I thought i was on a long picnic......

So pleased to get back into the turning circle and to get off the bike............best news after 20 hours in the saddle not a single sore bit or chaffing..image

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

20 HOURS!!! OMG /faint.

• Options
    Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

AAaaaaaaah!!!!  Cannot begin to imagine being in the saddle for that long image

• Options

Purple .. good report, you will nail it next year I am sure,  how feckin irritating to be defeated by food  image

Hurry up Seren, I'm mid read !!!

• Options

Run.....

Now this was supposed to be my strong point and after several 40/50 milers over the last 3 years I was confident of finishing...........but after doing my ligaments in my left knee in march...i had only ran once....the London marathon in 5 ½ hours and i was in a lot of pain the next day...........infact if i went for a short walk i was in pain.............but I had over 19 hours to do it...how could i not manage it.....The course was easier than the previous years and it was accurate .not well over distance like the previous years..........I walked up the first slope in my cleats and changed in the toilets into run kit......I chose road shoes as I have blistered that last few ultras in my trail shoes on the balls of my feet.

I set of with my plan run the downhills and flats ..and walk the uphills.....i followed this plan for the first number of laps and thought that I could run off the tightness in my quads that had developed in the last few laps of the hills on the bike course............I felt good......knee wasn’t too bad ......life wasn’t too bad.......this didn’t last long....i got tiredier and tireder and after the first 12 laps stopped for another 25 mins sleep.......this helped again but i had stiffened up a little .set off running again and managed a few laps before I started going downhill fast..........I had a few laps when I was so low........i was tired......i was in pain... it was raining....i was struggling to run at all............i was struggling to get one foot in front of the other.....i got to the turning circle and so many people were shouting me encouragement...it meant so much to me.......but for the first time  I couldn’t smile and thank them......I just wanted for the pain to go away and for me to go to sleep......i got so close to stopping...it must have shown on my face as so many runners manily from tritalk.gave me kind words and motivation on those laps........I took another pain killer and sean appeared with a banan milkshake.......the combination worked and I picked up my spirits and got some more energy..started moving forward faster and was with another of the girls for a few laps.........the comaradie amongst the girls was brilliant.......I managed to build up to the half way and this then helped as i was counting down...met up with dave from Tritalk who was having to walk his last day of the deca due to knee problems........He was doing 20 min laps and this was faster than my attempts to walk/run so I walked with him for 7 or so laps.........this kept me focused trying to keep up with him......my quads struggled on the downhills so i resorted to cheating sticks...which were allowed according to the race briefing.... ..I stopped for the toilet but it took me so long to actually get to sit down and then a few minutes to get myself out of the seat...it was in my last few toilet stops that the hallucinations started.. i didn’t realise it but i was suprise that everytime I sat down i could see .<span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', sans-serif; background-color: #eeeeee; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;"> Vashta Nerada..My quads were totally shot to pieces and my calves were following them quickly......

I carried on walking trying to keep the pace going...my wrists and arms were hurting form the poles.........in fact everywhere was hurting apart from my lady garden...which gave me a laugh after considering how much trouble certain female pirates have been having recently in that area..

I just got slower and tireder and in more pain........i even had to put gloves on.........it was dark and the course had a habit of tripping me up.......I was still eating and drinking and so needed wees.......but toilet wasn’t a

• Options

I just got slower and tireder and in more pain........i even had to put gloves on.........it was dark and the course had a habit of tripping me up.......I was still eating and drinking and so needed wees.......but toilet wasn’t an option.........so i perfected the peeing standing up against a tree technique........lean with your back against the tree with legs a bit bent.........shorts down...pull them forward and pee straight down..managed to avoid wetting my shorts every time......not sure how......and good job it was dark......

I then started to hallucinate big time......I saw animals everywhere......also i could hear people running......i would turn around to see who was running so fast to overtake me and there was no headtorches at all behind me.............My son saw I was on my last legs and walked the last 10 laps with me.....the downhills I had to take on an angle like walking downstairs after a big race.........the flats I was ok without my poles.......My son had to stop me wandering into the lake to stroke the cats that I saw there.( didn’t notice the huge lake)........I stopped to look at the pretty purple lights on the floor and also was amazed at all the big black dogs that were running wild around the field......as well as being scared of the cows..........

He kept me going......telling me how great i was and how much training I had done that had prepared me for that day......telling me I was well within the cutoff and that I would be a double Ironman and how proud of me he was.............How could i stop moving forward how ever slowly with that kind of motivation............

I loved congratulation all the people going on their last lap in the other direction.especially all those that had encouraged me.........I had a bit of envy that i wanted to be doing that last lap so badly........there were not many of us left on the course now.a few decas, a quin........4 of the 5 females still going..........and a few others.........finally it was my turn to turna around....i wanted to run but all I could do was hobble........everyone seemed to be moving so much faster than me....teh course which had become very muddy in the rain was tough the other way around........I then went over on my ankle......I found myself crying in more agony........but my son just told ,me to stop moaning and keep moving.........To cross the line was great but I just needed to sleep.......my son helped me up to the room........he went to get me a towel and shower stuff.........I sat looking at my left sock which had a tv screen on it.......it kept on showing different pictures but the people in the photos were moving like in harry potter.....the photos kept changing............He had to work hard to get me back onto my feet......a quick shower and I was on bed asleep.......

Run 18:03:04   2nd female..2 nd overall 52.6 miles

Total 41:23:04  2nd female

• Options

I woke up and struggled to walk......chairs were a nightmare and my left ankle is twice the size of my right.........but I was a DIM..........

My son apologised for the state the tent was in ........I laughed.........he had been sherparing for me for 2 days..he had only had 4 hours sleep all weekend and even then he had made me sausage sandwiches before going........He had only just turned 17 but had been outstanding.......encouraged me and bullied me when I needed it........I am so proud of him.........he then had to help me pack up the car and the Finale

wet tent and we had a great time at the awards ceremony which was very emotional... I had to blink my eyes a few times.....picked up my bling and trophies and cider and then had my long drive home...which included a stop in a layby for 50 mins

So a successful time at enduroman..........and 5 of the 7 girls there managed to finish within the cutoffs........both the other 2 got onto the run but unfortunately it wasn’t their day..............to those out there thinking about this race........we were ordinary women .we hadn’t done many races..none of us were at the front of a field........but we proved that it is doable............unless you try you never will know what you are capable of......I have thanked all the pirates who came and helped and supported before........Pirates rock............

Will I go back.............I told My son I would crew for him if he ever wanted to go their...myself..........the triple is just too mad to consider and the quin is out of my reach.........unless they consider doing a half ironman along the same lines of the quin then i will retire from enduroman........i cannot recommend their events enough......apart from the fact they cannot seem to organise the weather very well........

sorry the report is as long as my raceimage

• Options

Top effort Seren,  honest report  image

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I am totally in awe of you, what you have achieved, and your determination. Wow. Simply stunning. Congratulations.

• Options

Top reporting Seren, huge congrats on a great race and doing so well after they tried to mess your plans up by changing the start times, image and of course in keeping up your tradition of never being out of the top 2 women at Enduroman events image

You can be confident of completing any IM course anywhere after the last two AT events, star by name, star by nature

• Options
    Mrs FunkinMrs Funkin ✭✭✭

It seems to be a bit smoky in here again. *sniff*

• Options
    Bit lost for words to be honest.

I'm so pleased you nailed it! An amazing read.

Bloody good on ya!! Xx
  • Options
    I just cannot imagine pushing myself to those depths.
  • Options
    Wow! That's all. image
  • Options

"Wow!" squared -great race, great read! image

• Options

amazing report Seren

Well done again

• Options

Great candid reports from two top Pirates image Well done again to both of you.

• Options

Seren - if you have no objection, I would like to put your race report on the PSOF site.  Would that be ok? image

• Options

thats fine Schmunkee.you might want to edit it for all the dots to get it shorter........image

• Options
    Simply inspiring. Honest,scary and gripping.

Seren you and your son are both stars.
  • Options

mayber i should clarify the lack of sleep might have affected me more than most.......I'm usually always in bed by 10pm and not up before 7am........i often have an afternoon nap........and sometime if training will be in bed by 7:30 pm at night..so I need a lot of sleep..........so probably most people would would cope with the lack of sleep better.......

Holgs you will be brillaint  next year

• Options
    These reports are amazing, totally welling up here. So in awe of both of you, i can't even put it in to words. Very humbling reading about the depths you had to dig to in order to get through it. So sorry it came down to bloody food on the day Purple, but you're one determined lady, so you'll find a way through the next time. Looking forward to seeing you both at Outlaw image