Options

wannabe ultra runner?

Comments

• Options

Thanks for the race description Ben - it sounds great!!! Still have to tell my other half that Im doing it... He's very supportive but thinks Im mental as it is!!!

I've decided not to do the Rosedale Rumble this year, even though it sould like a really good event. It would be the 1st 'required kit list' event I do and I have hardly anything from the list. I think it would turn out to be a pretty expensive race and only 2 months away. Will try and pick up all the gear gradually over the next few months because I would love to do more trail stuff image

• Options
    Good luck with the 4 in 4, Spoons. I'm doing 2 in 2 in December, so any tips and tricks you learn from this one would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to seing how you get on.
  • Options
    thank you Ben for the info...sounds like a good one to start withimage
  • Options
    The other thing worth doing, nav-wise, is making yourself a pacing chart.
    Less critical if running with obvious landmarks in daytime - but if in open countryside (and critically at night), you need to be able to know how fast you are moving over the ground.
    Its actually very easy - once you know your "usual" pace you know how far you have moved in, say, one minute.
    i.e. If you run a 60 min 10k, then 1k will take 6 mins, so each minute you will have moved 166m - which is 6.5mm on the map.
    Maths is not easy on the hoof, so a pacing chart allows you to look up
    2 min = 13mm
    3m = 2cm
    etc etc
    Normally a chart will have different columns for different speeds - maybe "slow, average, fast"
    For OMM I made about 4 of these, laminated them, and my partner and I had one each.
    As I say prob not critical for daytime runs with good landmarks, but easy to grasp and worth knowing about.

2 hour run today. Gradually pushing the mileage up. Legs felt heavy in second half, probably light run tomorrow, then 2 hour again Friday....

• Options
    Work allowing i plan to run the Northants ultra again. Reading some of the threads there seems to be a small concern about getting lost. I live on part of the actual route and know the course and so i am starting to think about organising a reccy of the course or part of it if enough people are interested, possibly April time. It would be a jog/walk reccy, nothing severe!

When i did my first 100m (NDW) this year I did a reccy of about 3/4 of the course over a couple of weekends a month before and i can say it proved so worthwhile.

Obviously its a long way out still and many things can change but not the course i hope!! just thought i would put the feelers out for now.
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Grief, northants is gonna be sold out by Christmas at this rate!
    I'm doing the course on Saturday as a training run aim to get parked up outside lamport hall for 7am, thankfully ive still for the useful showerproof map book the gave me in 2010! Let's see how many times I get lost this time......!
  • Options
    take some pics  on the way round please Mr F !!image
  • Options

Loulabell   Can I ask where about are you based?

• Options
    oxfordshire spenimage
  • Options
    Hi Mr F image

Well did the first day yesterday. 27.5 miles. Nearly all off road. Mostly flat until mile 20. The last 7.5 was all hills. Feel OK this morning and off to do it all again! image
  • Options
    Good work, Spoons, keep on truckin.
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Spoons, you did the first 27m of the northants course you mean? I don't remember it being too hilly, sure IL remember it.on sat morning! Just hoping there are a few village shops about, going to need some extra fluids. I can remember the long buckby section which was through the centre of the village, that might have to do!
  • Options

Fellow Northants crew image

Any of you told people youre doing an ultra yet? I decided to get it over with and told people at work and at my running club today.... I may have made it worse by also telling them that I put my name down for the 2014 MdS!!!! image I think they all thought I was mental - including the other runners! I dont blame them - Im always the slowest in the group and a bit curvier than your stereotypical serious runner..... I hate all the short fast runs - give me a half marathon over a 5k any day!!!

Still I was hoping someone would say 'wow, you can do it' etc rather than looking a bit horrified.....

guess its not important what anyone else thinks.....

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Good on ya Karen, something to be proud of so Yeh let people know what your up to. Mds, well that's another kettle of fish altogether!

Just been having a look over the northants route again ready for Saturday. All quote exciting really! Should be a great day of fresh air, freedom and some good music on the ipod.
  • Options

Karen

It was exactly the same when I signed up for my first ultra, which was the Northants.  You will get a fair bit of negative feedback, including some from people who should know better. 

I worked in a running shop when I did my first ultra (still do), and I would be talking to a customer who had done five marathons with a PB of say 3.15, and when I told them I was doing an ultra they would say that I was crazy.  In practice said customer could probably have handled the Northants ultra easily, if they had only had the audacity to try it. 

Family are no better.  They mean well, and will help you where they can, but they can be frightened by the idea and end up imposing their anxieties about it on you.  They don't even know that they are having a demoralising effect. 

In the immortal words of Rory Coleman:

"Never listen to anybody about ultra running unless they have already got to where you want to be" 

• Options
    Ultra's ... the dark side of running!
    Most ultra vets i know do not feel the need to talk about what they do... they just do it quietly, have respect for their fellow ultra runners and appear again at the next race.
  • Options
    Karen - MDS is mental image

Marathon number 2 is done. Just 2 to go. Legs are starting to get tired now..... image
  • Options

Remember Spoons

The brain is the weakest organ in a runners body. 

If it starts to misbehave, then just switch it off!

• Options
    imagemorning NH CREW!!.....hi karen, i have told mr LLB that i want to do it , he was fine about it...like you im quite slow and would rather a HM over a 5k any day...i simply dont have the speed..karen did you say you had an 'official' kit list for ultras lol?..if so could you tell me what it is, im guessing i have the obvious basics but as im a total novice i will gladly take any advice and help on offer!!image.....also , Ben, how early can you enter NHU35?...id like to pay and enter now so i have something to focus on....
  • Options

Thanks all!! Great to get some positive feedback! In fairness my other half has been lovely, hes very supportive but isnt a runner and cant understand the appeal. As Ben said I think a lot of it just fear that I'll get injured or die in the dessert!! image The only reason that Im doing anyhting about MdS now is that the waiting list is so long. There are still waiting list spaces for the 2013 event but common sense prevailed and 2014 will be the earliest I think about doing it.

Think I was just a bit shocked by the reactions. The people I told at work are fellow runners, we regularly chat about races etc... The difference in reaction to saying you're doing a marathon (generally positive) as opposed to an ultra (shock!!) was just surprising. Like 'how far' said I think it will be a case of getting my head down and doing them - not bothering with other peoples opinions....

Lou - No, the kit list is something some races require... Especially if youre in rough terrain doing a longer distance. If the race demands you have certain things (waterproofs, compass, whistle etc) it will tell you on the website. Its just a bit pricey getting it all so it can make the 1st race of that type you do rather expensive.

• Options
    ..i know what you mean about the bewilderment on peoples faces..i try not to mention it much at work now as they are all totally miffed by the idea of doing a 13mile run for pleasure...lol...when i first mentioned ultra runs they had never heard of them...they still dont get it really..i havnt told them im doing NH35....i had started doing HM distance back in spring but not entered an offical HM, i got nagged and told that i should do one...why? i didnt see the reasoning..i knew i could run 13miles and thats all i needed my head to know...i do understand some runners gt more enjoyment from running in an actual event thoughimage...i think (correct me if wrong) that ultra runners and the groups of them are more friendly and although run in official events , are  running them not to prove to someone else they can do it ,but purely to satisfy themselves and push to their limits.imagethis is what i like about ultras, the time frame is more relaxed, the people running them appear that way also.
  • Options

Loulabell

As I understand it, there is noting to stop you from entering the Northants ultra now if you want to.  Just go to the Gobeyond site and the calendar of events should have the relevant link. 

Karen

Good kit is important, but it doesn't have to cost a fortune e.g. 

Waterproof £40 for a good one less for an adequate one. 

Compass £4 or £10 for a good one. 

Whistle £1.50

• Options
    Hi all. Marathon number 3 done and dusted. Just one more to go tomorrow. Everything is starting to ache now and I'm walking like John Wayne lol.

Loula - I agree that most ultra events are pretty small and have a really good friendly bunch of people there.
  • Options
    crikey spoons..image...are you doing the same route 4 times or different ones? sorry you must have sais earlier but i leep forgetting what people have saidimage
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Afternoon folks! 36 ish miles on the northants course complete, now time for a bath and a date with a cold magnets and the x factor! I has forgotton just what a lovely course it is, and this time I didn't go wrong as much as race day in 2010!!
  • Options
    Well done Mr.F, you did well not to get lost, always a tricky bit over the fields leading up to Long Buckby and the fields over to West Haddon. Enjoy your recovery!
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    I still can't master the section coming out the back of the golf club either. No matter how well I stick to the map I always come out at a junction further down the road! I think the maps wrong....!
  • Options
    Mr F, re the golf course, i know what you mean, ignore the first FP in Harlestone and take the second one then head towards the golf course, you actually then have to cut diagonally over what feels like the greens/fairway which does not feel right but its correct to do this. Then you climb up a steep field and it brings you out on the main road opposite the FP on the other side.

Hope you can visualise some of that and it makes a bit of sense!

What you did several people also did this year so its easily done. At least you did not head off into N/hampton town like some runners did!!!

I will be running the course next w/end minus the Lamport to Cottesbrook bit.

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Ahhh the map definitely tells you to chose the first foot path. Ah well, at least my detour doesn't affect mileage! Hope you have a good run next weekend, it really is a great course, and luckily for me I can be at lamport in 30mins. Just makes for a nice change and there a few nice local shops en route to stock up on drinks. I looked a right state when I called into long buckby sandwich shop for some bottled water earlier!
  • Options
    Ha, at least they served you!! The course is good, i live in W.Haddon and regularly run parts of the course, its spectacular on a cold frosty winters morning. Not too keen on the road sections in the actual race tho but thats just being picky!

Whats your next ultra race?