Options

Greater Manchester Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Freckleton half (17/06/12) gets a good write up
  • Options
    Hallam BlueHallam Blue ✭✭✭
    Sheffield Half-marathon in May - might be a bit early for an Autumn marathon tune-up, but a good race nonetheless. Much later is the new Cheshire Half-marathon in early November around Tatton and tatton Park: run by the same people that do the Wilmslow Half, so should be well organised. Unfortunately, I guess these are too early or too late. (often the problem with training for autumn marathons)
  • Options
    Yep it does. I've entered Freckleton as my motivation to get running after Manchester. I was also looking for something a bit nearer, time wise, to Chester around August/ September.
  • Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

15 West - Isle of Man Half Marathon 22 July, if you fancy combining a race with a weekend away?

It is a small club run event (typically around 250 entrants), but is very well organised. Usually about £20 to enter with a commemorative t shirt, medal and great buffet thrown in afterwards. The Independent newspaper mentioned it recently when it compiled a list of ten shorter alternatives to the London Marathon. The paper says the IOM half marathon provides plenty for the semi-serious runner as well as lovely views. It was also RW 'race of the week' a couple of months ago. Not that I’m biased or anything…..image

I’m still on a high after scraping a sub four at my first marathon attempt image  I want to do it all again, but faster!!

• Options
    I am pulling out of Loch Ness I think and can't decide whether to do Chester or Liverpool....? 15west - what about Llandudo 10 miler? Excellent race. Shall be putting that in the diary I think. I am also thinking of doing Lancaster Castle marathon end of June, I need to exorcise the ghost of Manchester and try for a sub 4.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    There's a few trail races that look ok...and Fleetwood half marathon at end of August...but can't find much. I may well do that half marathon at Tatton Park. Wilmslow half people also hold the Great Warford 10 mile race end of July which I may do...
  • Options
    I can't stop thinking back to Sunday and how bloody awful those last few miles were! Good race though. I have entered VLM ballot but won't hold my breath.
  • Options

Mish - I've been called a lot of things but never a teletubby, them paper coveralls are really good I use them all the time, Aldi are selling them at the moment £2.99 for two

This is me signing off, well done to everyone who made the start line on such atrocious conditions.

Berlin in September for me

Enjoy your training.

• Options

Just read the link from 15West - how many medical stations do people expect in a marathon? Think I might have run to many off road races when you don't see a person for miles but surely having them every 3 miles is more than normal!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

That Warrington half looks a good bet too....

Also Cross Bay Challenge looks good fun on August 12th,  but I was planning on going down to London to watch the marathons on 5th and/or 12th August.

Also there's Race The Train...sounds fun too.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

15 West - Isle of Man Half Marathon 22 July, if you fancy combining a race with a weekend away?

It is a small club run event (typically around 250 entrants), but is very well organised. Usually about £20 to enter with a commemorative t shirt, medal and great buffet thrown in afterwards. The Independent newspaper mentioned it recently when it compiled a list of ten shorter alternatives to the London Marathon. The paper says the IOM half marathon provides plenty for the semi-serious runner as well as lovely views. It was also RW 'race of the week' a couple of months ago. Not that I’m biased or anything…..image

I’m still on a high after scraping a sub four at my first marathon attempt image  I want to do it all again, but faster!!

• Options
    There is Macclesfield Half in September, this is a challenging race! Well organised by Macclesfield Harriers, think there is Congleton too but this might be in October so too late
  • Options

Hi All

Just trawling through all the messages.  Firstly well done to all...whatever your time.  Just for showing up we deserve a medal!  Weather was chronic (not helped by the fact that it was ice cream and blue skies not 24 hours later!)  That said who can control that piece?  Unless the Dear Lord was organising then there's not too much that could be done.

I won't mention the baggage, suffice to say I'm glad an apology was issued.  I did find my bag after 3/4 hour however most of the contents weren't in it.  Thank God my car keys were so I could make it home.  Had to go back later and found my phone in lost property.  Was lucky I was close by and could do this.

That said I was talking to some of the volunteers later on and let's remember - these were volunteers (and hadn't had an instruction by the look of it).  Despite this every one I came across was smiling and helpful.  Remember they had to deal with the sh**ty conditions us runners had to, plus they were mostly standing still so couldn't even jig about to keep warm.  Thank you!!!

Aside from bag-gate, the rest seemed to be quite well organised for a first go.  The support was also fantastic considering the weather and the fact it wasn't really promoted locally from what I hear.  Even the local paper had nothing in it.  A note for next year.

Might go back next year for a potential pb if the weather perks up.  Could have been a relatively fast course without the sleet and mud image

Hope you're all recovering well x

• Options
    Cheers DeliH, even Macclesfield is too late though its the week before Chester.

Maybe I should look at Preston at the end of October as my marathon in order to squeeze in a half before then.
  • Options
    Blackpool Half is 2nd Sept. Thats looks bang on timing wise for Chester on the 7th October.
  • Options
    H - you made it then after your injuries - did you manage a time you were happy about?
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Macclesfield bit close to Chester for me (chronologically, not geographically!).

Isle Of Man is another one to think about...

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Blackpool half - good call....
  • Options
    MartznwMartznw ✭✭
    Check this link out for some very professional photographs from around the course

http://thraves.photoshelter.com/gallery/Greater-Manchester-Marathon-2012/G0000v.O.4uJar5w
  • Options

I ran my first marathon age 45 (only took up running 5 years ago), ran a positive, comfortable race in 5hrs 17mins never once walking. The supporters, marshalls and their encouragement made it for me. One of the best was 

one of the last water stations organised by a running club, I felt like I was having a guard of honour with all the cheering and encouragement! Near there a man gave me 3 jelly babies, so sweet and energy boosting. I am now SAD it s all over image how do other people cope with the post marathon blues?

• Options
    Green PeteGreen Pete ✭✭✭
    I wonder how the ice cream van got on with sales..Saw one parked up near the start. Ha.
  • Options
    Lily - book into another marathon that is the only way
  • Options
    Liverpool, 14th October!! Chester the week before and Preston at the end of the month. Plenty of choice.
  • Options
    thank you Bearsted Plodder, have entered the London ballot but maybe would a prefer smaller one. I reckon on one  a year with all the preparation needed, but...will keep running, have a couple of 10ks plannedimage
  • Options

Lily - yes I am in same position I have entered London Ballot so wont know until October. Then I will either do London if got in if not will then book up something to replace it like I did this year with Manchester.

Good to see you got a few 10K's planned look a;so at some 1/2's while you still got some miles in your legs from all your training - maybe leave it a month but keep up some form of training and then have a go at a 1/2 in say June and a bet you will do a good time.

I have the Bristol 10K on 20th May and I am hoping for a PB as after a Marathon I find 3-4 weeks afterwards I have all that stamina training in legs so with a bit of speed work my legs are in perfect shape for a 10K.

• Options
    I've got a 10k next week in Port Sunlight. If my legs are up to it I'm going to put a huge dent in my 10k PB....big "if" though! Failing that I've got a 10k in Liverpool and a half in Freckleton in the middle of June that I'm hoping to do well at with my training for Manchester.
  • Options
    Blackpool half on 2nd September for me will be ideal prep for Liverpool on 14th October.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I got Great Manchester Run on 20th May. Hoping for better weather this time.

Lilly - would you really like to be back there running again?! No blues for me this time, I'm SO glad it's over and I survived! It was touch and go what with the hanging round freezing my knackers off trying to find my bag.

To get over the blues you set yourself another goal, eat lots of nice food, and do pleasant things.

• Options

Is anyone who ran Manchester also doing Windermere marathon on 20 May?  I'm not sure what training to do between now and then.