Options

5k Training

Comments

• Options
    That said... I just looked on the site and I'm 34th now! JLB - assuming you are John Brown who's in 19th?
  • Options
    Yes thats me, it's an extra bit of motivation if nothing else.
  • Options

ARGH - have just written a long post and it disappeared.  Got to try and remember what I said now!

JLB and Ewan - I'll have to look into this run Britain thing that you are talking about, although I'm not running as much as I would like to at the moment.  Shin splints.  The bane of my running life!  I need to take a couple of weeks off running, find a good physio / masseur and get them sorted.  That said, I did do parkrun on Saturday - my local parkrun was cancelled due to a cross country schools event so I went to another park.  The course was a bit flatter and I got myself a PB.  Still over 28 minutes though - by 7 pesky seconds!!  So my goal is still a sub-28 min run.  Then I'll set a new goal of 27:30 and aim for that.  Slowly I will get closer to that 25 minute mark.

But it made my left leg ache for the whole weekend.  The run was all on tarmac so high impact.  Looks like I'll have to get on the dreadmill for a while and start to build it back up slowly.  Grr!

Lauren - you asked about the London Bupa 10,000.  It is local-ish to me as I live in south London.  The CP in my name is for a location not my surname.  I was living in Crystal Palace when I set up this account.  I'm looking forward to it and hoping for a sub-1 hr time.  It should be achievable, even with the dodging in and out of the slower runners.  Like you said about Manchester Bupa 10k (which I also did last year), it did spread out after the first couple of kms.

• Options

Steady 24:51 for me this week; around the pace I'll need to maintain for 10k in 4 weeks.  It's going to be tough!

Anyone get a good result?

• Options
    Rich, how did the Bath half go?

I managed a week of skiing without injury (and all my little niggles are gone), so half marathon at the weekend, then only 3 more weeks until marathon!
  • Options
    Hey south Londoners - there's a new parkrun starting in Dulwich mid-April. I hear its a flat, fast course, so should be good for hitting a PB as I understand it! I'm going to give it a go once I've recovered from the marathon!
  • Options

25:20 for me this week at Parkrun.  Added an easy 2 miles before and 1 mile after, totalled just shy of 10k in 54:30.  Good prep for 10k next month.  A pretty good weeks work running-wise last week, intervals on Monday, pyramid on Thursday, tempo run on Saturday, and easy run on Sunday; around 25 miles total for the week.  5 x 800m intervals for me tonight.

How has everyones weekweekend went?

• Options
    Pretty good morning yesterday at the Bradford 10k. I shaved 5:05 off my PB, which is pretty great. Finished in 41:27.

The crazy thing is that my 5k splits were 20:44 and 20:43 - I've only beaten that time for 5k once at a ParkRun (Leeds). Admittedly, Bradford ParkRun has a little bit of a hill, that is ascended three times, but not so much as to mean that my best time (20:54) is actually slower than my 5k splits for a 10k!

I think it really helped having a mate from my running club to run with me as a pacer. Really kept me going between seven and nine.
  • Options
    Excellent improvement Ewan!  You must have sub 20 Parkrun in your locker at the moment.
  • Options

Lauren - I'd heard that there was going to be a Dulwich parkrun.  It will be a very flat course, but if they keep it within the park then it will be three laps.  My aim will be to not be lapped by the fastest runners!!

I haven't been out running since about 10 March.  I'm giving my legs a proper rest, to try and get rid of my shin splints.  And then I'm going to start back again quite slowly, doing lots of grass and softer ground running, instead of pounding the pavements.  That said, I also need to start my training for the London 10,000 soon - probably after the Easter weekend.

But my exciting news is that I am running in the Olympic stadium on Sunday, as part of a 4 x 100m relay team.  Only four more sleeps.  So excited!

• Options

You'll have to give us a lowdown on the Olympic Stadium exprience Heather.

I'm going to try for sub 23:00 again tomorrow, do or die.  If I can do it I'm in with an outside chance of getting in the top ten of the Run Britain Reward Running competition, for my handicap improvement during March.  I don't even need a new pair of headphones, but it's good motivation anyway.

• Options
    I was wondering what had happened to everyone, no updates for ages!

I'm pleased to report that my shin seems to be entirely cured. Did a half marathon on Sunday and it didn't bother me at all. Half marathon in question didn't exactly go to plan... 2:19:08, but it was absurdly hot and an undulating route. But hey, its still a PB by a minute and a half. Knocked my confidence a bit for the marathon, but its too late to do anything about it now - only 2 weeks to go! I'm really just looking forward to it being over now and having my life back. I had no idea what a big commitment it was going to be.

Heather, enjoy the Olympic park run, that'll be so cool!

And good luck to everyone racing this weekend... let us know how it goes!
  • Options

Good news on the shin Lauren, and congrats on the PB.

Didn't get below the 23:00 goal but pretty sure got a new PB of around 23:20, results aren't in yet.

• Options

Running in the Olympic stadium was amazing but over way too quickly - and that was even with my slow sprint!!  I can't believe that I've run 100m in the Olympic stadium.  I was the final leg of a 4 x 100m relay so I also got to run across the finish line.  I have a medal to prove it image

The stadium itself is pretty cool.  There are still some things that need finishing but most things seem to be done.  It will be interesting to see what it's like when the stadium is full (there were approx 20,000 people there yesterday).  I didn't have to queue for food or toilets etc, but I would imagine that when it is at capacity, there will be queues to deal with.

I have tickets for one of the athletics days during the Olympics - I can't wait to see the athletes doing it properly!

Hope you all had a good weekend - any runs / races to report?

• Options

Heather, that sounds amazing! How did it come about that you got to do that? And also exciting that you got Athletics tickets! We got tickets to a few events, but not the ones I REALLY wanted image I'm still SUPER excited to watch it on TV though, it's going to be awesome!

The big day is next Sunday! I've been absolutely knackered recently, and I've lost all my motivation for running. I tried to do 13 miles on Saturday and ended up getting the train home after 7. I just couldn't get my legs to move, and it was really frustrating. Anyway, I figure the majority of my training is done now,  its more about avoiding injury and keeping the legs turning for now.

On the positive though, my fundraising is going well. I had my own place, so the charity thing is just because SO MANY people asked me how they could sponsor me (and interestingly, those people haven't sponsored me yet!), but I'm coming up to £600 now and I haven't even asked the directors at work yet image

Where is everyone up to? We had a few weeks with a flurry of activity, but everyone seems to have stopped updating! JLB, did you get your official Parkrun result?

• Options
    Results eventually got updated on Monday night 23:21. Volunteering at Parkrun this week!
  • Options

Lauren - good luck with your race this weekend.  I'm sure you'll get your motivation when you are on the start line.  Plus you should be tapering before the big race so you shouldn't worry about not doing big miles. Give your legs a rest.

I got to run at the Olympic stadium through a charity called the gold challenge (www.goldchallenge.org) We put together a team at work to do the 20 Olympic / Paralympic sport challenge and have raised over £3k for a Croydon-based charity called African Caribbean Leukaemia Trust (ACLT).  As we were one of the top 8 fundraisers we were rewarded with the opportunity to take part in a 4 x 100m relay.

This weekend I'm going to run at the inaugural Dulwich parkrun image  I've done two short (20 min) treadmill runs in the last week.  My shin is still a bit off, but I saw a sports masseuse today and she was really good.  Fingers crossed we can get it sorted soon.  I'll let you know what the parkrun is like - but don't expect a fast time.  I've got to take it slowly while I build back up the miles after a month of no running.

• Options

Hey Guys

Had a very poor week training wise, haven't run at all since 13K on Sunday, been in full holiday mode.  Going to go all out for sub 23 tomorrow again, it's my last chance to put in a good run before my Parkruns birthday.

Volunteering was good although hectic, I was making note of the times in case the technology went wrong; we had a record turn-out of 144 so pretty much had my head down scribbling fo 15 minuted solid.  We also had a course record set of 15:51.

Hoping you all have a great weekend.

• Options
    Heather, looking forward to hearing about Dulwich! Take care of those shins and don't push it. And Jlb, good luck too!

The big day is tomorrow and I'm nervous and excited! I think its all good feelings, but I'm slightly apprehensive because I just don't know how its going to go. Oh well, nothing I can do now except run my best. I'm £8 away from £800, so hopefully someone will bump me up today!

What's happened to everyone else? Deadbox? Rich? Ewan?
  • Options
    Hope you go well Lauren
  • Options

Good luck Lauren!

The Dulwich parkrun was good - definite PB potential there, just not for me today.  My shin felt ok when I was running, but I'm not fit enough yet to run too hard / fast.  I got round in just under 29 minutes.  Give me a few more weeks of training and I'll be back trying for a PB.

Attendance was 161, which is quite a big group.  Obviously the flat course, and therefore PB potential, is going to make this a popular parkrun. I do like the friendliness of parkrun - the people I spoke to today were really nice and I'm sure I'll see them there again the next time I run.

JLB3 - did you get your sub-23 minutes time?

• Options
    Got a PB but didn't go sub 23, ended up with a 23:09. Went out much too fast, ran 1st K in 4:13, and just had to hold on for dear life. Struggled to keep breakfast down lol.
  • Options
    First parkrun for me in 23:17, I have absolutely no second gear whatsoever, every time I tried to crank it up my body forced me back, I took the middle lap to try and conserve energy for a big push around the final lap...and couldn't see it through. I believe I have sub-22 in me but I'm happier over longer distances right now.
  • Options
    I'm happy to say i got a 5 km pb by about a minute and a half at 21:02 this weekend. Odd thing to happen since I have been training marathon and ultra recently with a lot of trail running but i'm very glad it happened, coming up to my 55th birthdayimage
  • Options

Welcome sevendaughters and Steve C, good running! What are your targets?

Heather - good to hear about Dulwich! I think they strted Dulwich because Brockwell was exceeding their health and safety capacity (can't remember where I read that) but sounds like everyone went to Dulwich this week! I'll give it a go in a few weeks when the old legs have recovered! And JLB, great news on the PB!

Fo em - the marathon is over, HURRAH!! I was a slow plodder, but got round in 5:17:34. I had all these grand illusions about coming in under 4:30, but in the end, it was just about getting to the finish line with my legs intact. It was PAINFUL! However, I ran all of the first 14 miles and all of the last 4. I said at the end "I'm NEVER  running a marathon again", but I'm already planning how I can do the next one faster...

Anyway, for now I'm happy to have my life and my body back. Think the pain should be gone in a couple of days...

• Options
    Hey Lauren555, thanks for the welcome.

I don't know about targets because I don't know what I'm realistically capable of. I started running for weight loss and I still have a little way to go. Perhaps with a lighter carriage to pull I think I can go sub 21.30 and beyond, sub 44 for 10k, and 1hr 42 for HM. Am I being unrealistic? I've only been running a year.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Only just joined the RW forum and been having a look through the various threads and this one seems to be the one most suited to what I want to achieve, so apologies for crashing it!

I've been running semi-regularly since June last year after a mate signed me up for a 10K mud run (with obstacles) in September 2011. After completing the run I'd got the 'running bug' but began to train to much and ended up with a very painful left knee so had to rest up for about 6 weeks. In January I started training again but have been taking it slower and building up much more gradually to try and avoid injury.

So anyway have signed up to a 10K trail run in early June and aiming for a sub 50 min time. Think this is a realistic target as the last mud/obstacle run I did in 58 mins. Maybe a bit ambitous but I like a challenge! Have been trying to increase my speed with tempo/interval running etc but have also read that doing some 5K races can help increase 10k times? Thinking about entering a Parkrun in Nottingham in a couple of weeks (had never heard of them before this thread!), no idea what time I can do as none of my training has ever involved running a fast 5k! Looking at possibly entering a 1/2 at the end of this year or the beginning of next.
  • Options

Welcome Steve, Seven, and Tommy.

Lauren - Really well done for the Marathon, IMHO the time raining you have put in is at least as heroic as the run on the day.  I applaud you.

SevenD - I have found the training pace, and race time predictor here very useful, just put in your Parktun PB, it's helped with training and with setting goals.  Yourself and Tommy might also find this training plan useful, there is also a 3 days a week one on the site, I've been using the 5 days per week one for a 10K I'm doing on Sunday, idealy I'm targeting somewhere near 48min, but would accept anything under 50min.  I'm with you on the middle lap (I call it "The Lap of Doubt!"), you'll probably find you did your first lap too fast, and that's why you had nothing left in the last K.

Tommy definitly get down to Parkrun, it's very informal and will be great training for your 10K plans.  I find it really helps track my progress and is also good for motivation.

Steve - Loads of guys at my Parkrun have been concentrating on marathon training for the past 4 months or so for the upcomming Belfast marathon, a few of them have been letting lose recently at the 5K and have been getting great times.  More miles seems definitly to equal faster times, I just don't have the free time for all that running!

I'll probably do a steady 13K tonight, then jog the Parkrun on Saturday in prep for the 10 on Sunday, finding it a little hard to get motivated after having a bit of a lazy week over Easter! I'll be gutted with myself if I don't hit my goal on Sunday

Hope you are all having a good week.