Options

5k Training

Comments

• Options
    Argh, its really frustrating! It felt mostly fine today after BMF last night - a bit tight, but not painful - but as soon as I started running, the pain came back again. I persisted for about 2 miles before I gave in and limped home (which took ages!). Ice does seem to help massively, pain seems to have gone away again now. I'm going to rest tomorrow and then attempt the long run on Saturday (pain pending!), but take my oyster card in case I need to drop out halfway and get the tube home.

Interesting you mention pilates - my friend has just qualified as a yoga instructor so I've been taking her classes after my long runs and I can't believe how much it helps. I woke up on Sunday morning feeling more stretched and relaxed than I have for years! Thanks for the sympathy and advice, it is much appreciated!

Jlb - if you're still in recovery, I'd take it easy on the speedwork! I don't know how much running you've been doing recently, but I'd be tempted to start back with getting the easy distance up.

DB - what are you studying at uni?
  • Options
    Lauren - I would rather not say just to keep my backside covered, but it's a course within healthcare and life sciences. How's the leg?

Up'd my run upto 40mins tonight. I've got myself into a bit of a race with a mate in 5 weeks time. He keeps saying that he could beat me at the parkrun if he tried, so I called him out on it and gave he 5 weeks to train lol written myself a little plan to make sure I whoop his ass. Gonna use it as my first assault on my pb this year too.

Anyone get out this weekend?
  • Options
    Didn't do Park Run as it was (a) one thing too many at the weekend,(b) I fancied a lie-in and (c) Friday night's curry was causing some issues. Went out yesterday for 7.5 miles at an easy pace but with 204m total ascent and half a kilometre at 1:10 it was still a decent workout.

Most of my sessions last week were speed work - an interval on treadmill, a tempo on treadmill and a race pace 5k on road. Similar sessions this week and I should happily break the 0:21:00 mark on Saturday.
  • Options

Rejoined the Gym on Saturday and swam a gentle mile on Sunday, I think it will be pool and maybe a little bit of cycling for the forseeable.  Trying to keep active an maybe get the weight down (lost 6lbs in 2012 so far, aiming to lose another 12.5lbs at least)

You've got make sure you win your race DB, you're representing this discussion thread!

Good luck cracking 21 this week Ewan.

• Options
    Sounds like a good excuse Ewan lol just be careful you don't do too many speed sessions in the same week, you don't want to overtrain and injure something. Hope you crack that time though!

Jlb, glad you are getting some exercise in. Well done on the weight loss, that's some good going.
    I will win it for you all haha me and my mate have been very competitive in everything, usually starting with silly banter lol all I'm really hoping for is a new pb (and to smash him image )
    Tonight was the first session of the new training plan. 25mins steady. Rest tomorrow and then an gentle interval session on weds to break myself into a bit of speedwork. Around 80% of my sessions will be around 65/70%mho, so nice and easy. Will see how it goes
  • Options

Hi Guys, major lack of time again lately to be on the site.

Thankfully I've found enough time to get some training done for this half marathon in March. From what it sounds like reading the last few posts on here people are getting the off niggle with injury's. Since joining the club, some of the leader/training guys suggested sitting in shallow cold (with ice if you can take it) bath after each run. Did it a couple of times after longer runs and I did find it helped a lot with my ankles and knees which had been starting to get sore after upping the pace a bit. Was advised to do a few bodyweight routines as well which have also helped with posture.

Although I've managed to fit in quite a few runs since the first, I've already fallen behind with the training schedule. I thought if I could get in one or two really good interval sessions in the week, one other longer+slower run at the weekend should be enough to make it round in a decent time. What are peoples thoughts on this? My interval runs tend to be 4mins at a fast pace (5k pace and a bit more) followed by 2 min jogs and repeated 5 times. I have another one with the club tonight which is apparantly really different so looking forward to that.

Has anyone got any races coming up soon? I havent managed to get to a park run for weeks on account of being hungover most saturdays.

Rich  

• Options
    Will be interesting to see if the training and intervals have worked for your 5k pb Rich. How times a week are you running now?

I got out and did my interval session on weds. Did 10min easy over to the park, then did 90secs fast (well, as fast as I could sustain for 90secs) followed by 2 1/2min jog x 5, and then a 10min jog home. Feel a lot freshe today than I thought I would. Gonna do 2 days of easy running too complete the 1st week of the training plan.
  • Options

DB - it was only meant to be two speed sessions (on the treadmill) but we ended up doing our club handicap run on the Thursday evening.

JLB & DB - thanks to you both. Will do my best tomorrow - will try not to stay up too late tonight and I will certainly be staying away from spicy food!

• Options
    How were your legs feeling after 3 speedwork sessions?
    Spicy food could help speed you up. Trying to get back to the toilet would be a great incentive to increase pace haha

Just done 5hrs of revision for my exams image so gonna head out in the rain for a gentle half hr jog before picking the eldest up from school.
  • Options
    Not too bad at all actually. The first two really helped with the 5k handicap.

Only managed one interval session this week. Had been out Sunday and knew I was running Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so didn't bother with a Monday session. Wednesday's interval session was piss-poor! Managed the first km as normal but then had to drop to 500m intervals. I did a couple extra and a little faster to make up for it.

Really hope it stops raining for ParkRun tomorrow...
  • Options

I've been so patient and my shin is feeling much better, I'm ecstatic to report! May be a bit of a stupid idea, but I'm going out on the marathon training run tomorrow - 13 miles. HOWEVER, I am going to see how it goes and I'm very prepared to stop if it starts feeling bad - there are plenty of ways for me to get home by public transport.

I've been working on my flexibility and working my glutes to death this week. And the most exciting thing - I got a new bike! It's a proper nice road bike, delivered last night and I'm DYING to get out on it! Just haven't had time yet, but going to do a test cycle to my work on Sunday morning to see if I might feel good about commuting by bike sometime in the near future.

Sounds like everyone has been picking up the training a bit, good work everyone!

Rich, I missed where you said you were doing a half marathon - is it Reading you're doing? What distance are you up to so far, and what are you planning your furthest training to be? I'd really recommend doing over-distances for half training (in my limited experience!), so your max distance at 14 or 15 miles. I only trained up to 10 miles, and I really felt it in the last 3 miles. I'd say that the distance is going to be more important than the speed. One speed session per week should be enough and do a long weekend run and mid-length mid-week run if you can. Thoughts?

DB - good luck with your race! I often find a bit of healthy competition can do wonders for your improvement!

Ewan - good luck with the parkrun tomorrow! Don't worry if it rains - as my boyfriend always says, you're not made of sugar image

Hope you all have a good weekend of training - report back on any parkrun results!

• Options

Did you make the parkrun this weekend Ewan? Did it stop raining?

How's the leg Lauren? did you do the run? What bike did you get, anything nice? I realy need to get out on the bike again soon.
    I know this has been mentioned to you already but my other half bought me some compression socks as they were £2 in Lidl lol. I sometimes get a bit of shin pain (used to get real bad shin splints when I was a lot fatter) while i'm running but it dissapears when I stop so it usually doesn't bother me. I tried running in them the other night (looking damn sexy in knee highs I must add haha) and I didn't feel anything, in fact my legs felt really fresh afterwards. I know it's not gonna cure your leg, but thought it might be worth trying once you get back out; especially if you can get some for £2 too.

I did 3mi on fri nice and steady followed by a 2.5mi jog on sat that was meant to be easy but did it in 21mins instead of the 25mins i was supposed to aim for , oops! That was the first week of the training plan done and it felt really good, gonna whoop my mate in a few weeks image. Was the first time in what seems like ages that I've ran for 2hrs in total throughout a week and without any back pain too, wahoo!

Hope everyone is well?

• Options
    YES, I did do the run and it was fantastic. Not a whiff of any shin pain which was a relief. The last 2 miles was very hard work, but I was running with another girl and we kept each other going. Felt like I'd been hit by a bus this morning though, really sore shoulders and back for some reason (muscular aches, nothing to worry about).

It as also my first time riding my bike - its going to take some getting used to! I managed the hills a lot easier than on my old, heavy lump but it was so light I thought the wind was going to blow me away! Once I get used to it there will be no stopping me!

Sounds like you've had a great week of training - hope you can keep it up! Has your friend ever raced before? You're going to smash him image

How has everyone else's weeks been?
  • Options

Awesome news about the leg. Just make sure you keep up all the stretching and glute exercises alongside your running. I sometimes get a tight right upper trap when I'm tense and hunch a bit.

Yeah, it's been a really good week, just hope the next 4 go as well as this week has. He hasn't raced before lol, but he is one of these annoying people who is quite good at everything they attempt. He told me yesterday that after talking to another mate, who I ran with last summer, he is starting to think he has bitten off more than he can chew haha even though he still persisted in calling me 'slowcoach'. My aim is to make sure there is a big time difference between us and that he pays for giving me so much grief for so long.

• Options

No running for me again this week, but I got a cancellation appointment with the physio on Wednesday, and she's happy for me to run if I like; happy days! (probably goint to wait until the weekend though).  Done a few K's in the pool this week, and climbed Slieve Donard yesterday, so I have at least been active.  Lost another 3lbs, that's got to help my 5K time once I get back into it.  More swimming this week and maybe a spin class.  I plan a gentle Parkrun on Sat, then back to the running in earnest next week.

You really must destroy this guy DB lol!  It's great motivation for you.

That's fantastic news about the shin Lauren, and good luck with the cycling, I'll have to get back in the saddle myself, bikes been stationary for a couple of months now!  I love "your not made of sugar", I'm stealing that.

Hope everyone has a great training week.

• Options
    Nope, no ParkRun for me DB. Weekends are just too busy at the moment. I get home from work at 15:00 on Friday and then work again at 19:00 until after midnight. Then I'm either in work again from 11:00-16:00 or I go to watch football. So something has to give and unfortunately it has to be ParkRun.
  • Options

Does anyone here know of a fast/flat Park Run course in the South East, ideally in South London/Surrey (but willing to travel further if necessary)? My nearest Park run course is Banstead which is only about 2.5 miles from me but its quite a tough course and not the best if your looking for a quick time.  I also know from taking my parents Dalmation over there most weekends its pretty muddy at the moment.

Used to run regularly in my 20's and just crept under 20 mins for 5k on a couple of occasions back in 1995 aged 27 but then quit running for about 10 years before starting again about six years ago.  Until about 6 months ago my running lacked focus and the best I could manage over 5k was around 23.30 on a road route near where I work but recently have upped my mileage and intensity and have got down to 21.50.  The course is all road so quite a good surface though the first mile is mostly uphill. Cheers

Geoff   

PS Apologies for hijacking this thread so late in the day.  

• Options
    I believe Wimbledon is quite flat, and I think Bushy Park is quite flat too, although I've never been there.
  • Options
    Well done on the weightloss jlb! I haven't shifted any weight on the scales but have gone down in clothes size which I'm happy with. Good that you've been told you can run again too!

That's fair enough Ewan, how's you're training gone this week?

I did my easy session on mon and then did a fartlek type session on weds. It involved an easy 10mins, strides between lamposts on the flat a steady mile long hill followed by some hill sprints and a steady 5min home.
    I've had a bit of a pain on my calcaneous this week image it's annoying me slightly, more of a niggle really but don't want it to get worse. Got 2 easy sessions planned this weekend and will be doing less walking next week too so will hopefully settle down.

Hope everyone is well?
  • Options

Parkrun on Saturday was my first running in nearly 3 weeks, managed to get round at a slow pace, felt a few niggles, but survived those, and the ice.  I felt strong at the end, and satisfied with my unspectacular time.  I've got a few more runs planned this week, might try the treadmills out at the gym as the weather is so poor.

A couple more pounds have slipped off this week, I could do with some new clothes as I have dropped a couple of sizes myself Deadbox.  Will maybe wait until I plateau before spending any money.  I'm certainly closer to my weight loss target for 2012 than my 5k target.

Hope you all had a great weekend and that the injuries are staying at bay.

• Options

DB - did a 10-miler last Sunday and, due to my shoes probably being too old, my left knee took a real pounding. Ended up resting up for the week. Went to Sports Shoes Unlimited yesterday and had my gait checked. I'm a neutral runner so I got myself a pair of Asics Cumulus-13. Also picked up some socks as they were on a BOGOF offer - got a pair of 1000 Mile Fusion and a four-pack of Asics sock. Will be testing them tomorrow evening at my club run.

I have had my secondary-job shifts changed a bit so now I work Saturday lunches and Sunday evenings rather than Friday night and Saturday lunch. Means I can start doing ParkRun reasonably regularly. Hopefully get down there this Saturday.

• Options

Well done on getting round the parkrun and losing more weight Jlb! keep it up and you'll be flying around that course soon enough.

Gotta love new trainers and socks. I stocked up on socks in aldi the other week as I love their trainer socks lol. Bet you were knackered working a friday night and then attempting a parkrun? maybe an early realaxing  night before a parkrun will see an improvement?

I had an odd day yesterday, kind of fudged up my first viva at uni. Luckily it's only worth 20% of my overall module mark. Got 2 more coming up over the next 2 days so will hopefully pull it back. I went out for a nice easy run last night after taking the weekend off to rest my calf a bit. Was meant to do 3ish steady miles...when I had got back home I realised I had done just shy of 5mi in 39mins, oops! More of a tempo run haha I think it may have been fueled by my anger of cocking up in my exam image but on the plus side it felt easy and I don't ache today at all. Might have to channel some of that aggression for the big race haha

• Options
    Knee is buggered. Was murder from halfway round a 10-mile LSR last week so I rested it for a week. Bought myself some new shoes and hoped that improved cushioning coupled with a week off would see me right. It didn't. Going to have to rest up for a bit now - maybe try some short speed sessions or treadmill work to see if either of those help.
  • Options

Ewan, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that speed sessions won't help with most injuries! Take it easy on the treadmill for a few days (although ideally rest!). I've had knee injuries in the past and letting it get worse can only screw you up more (in my case, it lead to surgery and a year of rehab ad my knee still swells when I run - although it doesn't hurt any more). If another week of rest doesn't help things, maybe see a physio to set your mind at rest.

DB - great work on the 5 miler! That's a really good tim, make sure you remember that aggression for your race! Sounds like your training is going well!

JLB - excellent weight loss! Keep pushing on with the parkrun. I think you have a much healthier attitude than me, I tend to be terrible for forcing myself through injury and making things worse, rather than stepping back and being happy with a slower time.

On that note - I had a fairly good week for training last week. Managed 14.5 miles on Saturday morning, which is the furthest I've ever run, and in about 2:20, so very satisfied with that. It was tough going, but lots of people around me to keep me going,and my walking breaks were kept to a minimum. Had to stuff a bacon roll in my mouth as fast as possible when I was done, than didn't seem to be able to stop eating for the rest of the day!

Niggles and shins were fine after that, but then pushed the pace a bit at the club run last night and my left shin is not feeling great again. I think I'm going to have to hold the pace back, because it seems to get worse every time I try to speed up.

• Options
    Aye, I'm going to go with rest as the most sensible option. It's really annoying as I'm paid up for Huddersfield 10k at the end of the month. Wanted to get a good lot of training in beforehand in order to set myself a much better PB than I currently have. Not sure what will happen next time I do ParkRun.
  • Options
    Hope you get sorted quickly Ewan. Ditto Lauren, dont push it too hard.

Great running DB, that's just about sub 50 10kpace!

Weather was a little warmer today, a little persistent drizzle, but perfect once we got going at Parkrun. Took a big step towards that 25:00 barrier, new PB of 25:34, that's 53 secs off. Thought Id done even better as someone who finished a couple places behind me timed himself at 25:28, but still very pleased.

Anyone else make it?
  • Options
    Wow well done Jlb! That's a big chunk off! The parkrun I usually go to was minus 6 degrees this morning so glad I didn't go lol

I haven't run for a few days as quite stupidly I slammed the car door on my own leg (embarrassed), not even sure how I did it haha it been quite bruised and painful. Feeling a load better today so gonna get out tomorrow. Planning to do 3/4 steady runs between now and next Saturday. Going to refamiliarise myself with the parkrun course next week ready for 'the race' the week after image
  • Options

JLB, that's brilliant! Great work image You'll be down to the 25 minute mark in no time!

DB, I'm really excited to see how this race turns out. I think you're going to surprise yourself and run faster than you thought was possible image

I'm on enforced rest this week. BORING. I went to the physio (a different one this time) for a bit of a more in-depth look at what's going on. She's much nicer than the last one, and also MUCH cheaper. The same old chestnut of tight calves has come up again. I don't know how the heck to stretch them enough, I do it 4 times a day as it is! Think I might have to take the plunge and budget in a massage every couple of weeks. She checked everything else too, and said my glutes were actually quite strong and firing well - so at least the work I've been doing on them has helped!

This week, I'm going to be working really hard on strengthening and stretching, so lots of lunges, squats, bridges, calf raises and some ab work too. Hopefully then when I get back to running next week *fingers crossed* I'll be a lot stronger. I'm going to go back to the physio next week and she said she can check my running technique to make sure there's nothing obviously going wrong there, a bit of massage and some advice on how to proceed.

I'm a bit owrried about missing my long runs, but on the plus side, I was only meant to be doing 10 miles this week, so at least I've only missed a relatively short run. I know I can do 15 miles now, so I'm a bit less worried than I was when I was out a couple of weeks ago. I'm doing this marathon, whatever happens though, I'm really excited about it!!

• Options

Hello all.  I'd like to join you in this forum if you'll have me!  Having read the last page of messages, there are several things that you are discussing that I am interested in. 

I have recently started doing parkrun - so far I have ran at Crystal Palace (not good if you don't like hills) and Croydon (not good if you don't like cross-country) and survived them both.  My parkrun 5k PB is 29 minutes.  My goal for this year is to do a sub-28 minute 5k - so I think I need to find a flat parkrun course to make that happen!  I'm also training for my first half marathon on 1st April, so am using the parkrun as my weekly speed work session.  If I can keep injury free this year, then hopefully I'll hit my goals and be able to set new ones! 25 minute 5k is a long-term goal for me - not sure it will happen this year.

I also suffer from slight shin pain after my long runs.  I have some compression tights (recent purchase) but am also thinking of buying some calf compression socks, to see if that helps. I saw a physio for the pain last year and she didn't tell me I couldn't run, but that I should avoid interval training (too high impact on my shins) and I should try and run on grass / trail / non-concrete surfaces.

• Options

Welcome, Heather! Sounds like you have some good goals to aim for. Which half are you doing, if you don't mind me asking? How is the training going?

Interesting about the compression - my physio mentioned compression socks as something to help my shin splints, I'm going to look into it. I have found too that intervals, particularly on hard surfaces triggers the pain, but a long run on trails/footpaths cause no problems at all.

Keep us updated on how your training goes - I've found this thread really helpful for motivation, inspiration and venting (not sure how much everyone else appreciates the venting though, haha).