Options

Edinburgh Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

I noticed the blue line in Paris and didnt follow it, I ended up doing an extra KM running around people. To be fair, its very annoying when you have 4 people walking in a row at a narrow part of the course, but mostly I'm not bothered.

• Options
    Get well soon pip! Taper time always brings me out in something too. Sore throat and snotty. Headphones packed then just downloaded marathon talk to listen to in the car journey five hours to drive tomorrow. Hope it cools down a touch!
  • Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Feeling a little better today.  I still have time.  Hope everyone is ok.  Weather as at today looks ok I think.

• Options
    Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Bottom line, you're gonna get people in your way no matter what race you do, and we all have to do extra distance due to that and a host of other reasons, plus Garmins etc are never that exact.

Glad you feel OK today PipG. It's warm out there today, but down by the coast we should be a bit cooler on Sunday, that said, I can't wait to get the bar after the race!

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Beer!!! Not that I have missed it, I always planned to give up drinking and lose weight but didnt and it seems pointless a few days out image

• Options

The car thermo is reading 15 - but there is a nice cool breeze coming off the water. Fingers crossed for more of the same on Sunday please  image)

• Options

15 degrees with a bit of a breeze I can live with Jim so fingers xxed.

4 miles today at MP and I feel I lost a litre of sweat! It was 19 here on the west coast with little or no breeze. image

• Options

The BBC was Showing a high of 13 on Sunday with a breeze and white clouds which sounds good to me!  It's absolutely roasting in the South West of England at the moment, so hot that I'm thinking of doing my last run at 6 in the morning when it's cooler!  I'm planning on taking my hydration pack (Inov8 bum bag one, delightful lime green colour!) with some water in it.  I've trained with it and would hate to need water between the stations.  On the ipod front I just get tangled up in the earphone cables (long hair...) so gave up on that ages ago!

I can't believe that in only 4 days I will be able to call myself a marathon runner!  By the way I'm in the Purple pen on Regents Rd wearing a Help for Heroes Vest with LIZ on the front. 

• Options
    FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

It's warm here (central Edinburgh) - just above 20 degrees I think - but not krazee hot like the deep South. It looks like it'll cool down significantly by Sun.There's still a gentle breeze which def isn't in the "wind" category and it's been cooler along the coast. We'll be fine !! Just call me Fraser Fish (read me lips - "there'll be no hurricane"....hmmmimage)

Where were you this aft Jim for your 15 degrees ?

• Options

28 in the Midlands today. Glad to see Sunday in Scotland will be cooler. Just printed off my bus tickets, and I don't know why people are buying them - there is no identifier or runner number on there - just email pdfs to each other on here! Apparently the drivers last year didn't check them anyway - £9 wasted!

Can't believe after last year's feedback it is still marked as "15-20 mins walk from reunion area to the Park n Ride" though. That's a mile! Think I'll keep jogging! Not what you want after 26 of the b*stards. Can they really not bring buses down to the school area for one Sunday?

• Options

Doing the relay on Sunday (first 8.5 miles leg)...

• Options
    The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Glad to hear that I am not the only one nervously sweating about temperatures because it's been baking hot here in Norwich today.  Thankfully a cool down looks on the cards for the weekend.  I went on a stag doo in Edinburgh last year and it was roasting at Stansted, cold and foggy in Edinburgh, I'd love a repeat again this time around!

Just one more 3 miler on Friday and that's me done, bring it on!!

• Options

Last run of just over 3 miles done last night - my legs were clearly confused at me stopping after a half hour. Leaving from Wrexham today to head to see Ma and Pa Duffs tonight - then fron Glasgow to Edinburgh tomorrow all ready for Saturday and Sunday image. Safe journey for all other travellers coming up. 

All nervous now but already looking forward to post race pizza and chocolate image

See you all in Scotland

• Options

Morning folks

Duffs..have a safe journey

I had my 1st ever pre race sports massage yesterday.image Legs are race ready now..hoping my hamstring problem will stay away...am itching to run as haven't run for ages...well it seems that way....

Good luck everyone.....forecast looking good...not too hot......image

• Options
    Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Hey dudes! Hope everyone is well, and enjoying the sunshine. Quaite warm up in in Edinburgh today, but think the forecast for Sunday is a little cooler. I only noticed last night that they're not handing out energy drinks this year, and all time classic from Edi mara there, they just think of new ways to p*ss people off! That said, I was going to give them a miss anyway and just stick to Gels.

I go with SIS every time, gives me the boost I need, so there'll be 1 taken around 20mins pre race and I'll take another 4 with me, that, with the 3 Hi5 stations should be more than enough.

I'm also contemplating taking the electrolyte tabs we got in the packs,  each broken up into say 4 bits, and popping these into the water along the route. Wonder if this is a good idea? I did London a few weeks back, so kind of using Edi to try a few things anyway, think I'll give this refuel strategy a bash and see how I go.

The pub after is still remains a part of this strategy though. image

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Stomach still not 100%.  I got some immodium today - I have never used it - does anyone have any tips/experiences?  Not a nice topic but important!  Stopped me worrying about the weather anyway.

Neil, I always carry salt tablets but dont train with them and have never (yet) used them but know they are there if i start cramping up. 

• Options

Scorcher in London today!

I've got a gentle 5 miler tonight then off to Edinburgh on the train in the morning, never been to Edinburgh before so I mustn't be tempted to walk round too much on saturday.

Pip....I used imodium once when I was a coach driver away on tour in france and stupidly drank the water from the tap. Worked a treat in about an hour, I just remember being told not to have any hot drinks as this could get everything going again, that was 15 years ago so not sure if this is still the case.

Good luck to everyone and thanks for all the encouragement and advice, see you at the finish image

• Options

Get welll soon PipG. Last time I had a dippy tummy I was advised to drink Oralyte (to replace elecrolytes lost thru dehydration). I would recommend that or your salt tablets for now to make sure you are proper re-hydrated for Sunday - especially if the warm weather is going to hold out - good luck

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Yes, off your feet as much as possible on saturday Jonesy!!

• Options

Heading up tomorrow morning for the weekend. Really looking forward to it now, just waiting for the the pre-race nerves to kick in!!

Hope everyone if fighting fit and ready to go come Sunday!!

• Options

Glad to see people making a weekend of it! Stopped at the hilton for a few nights last year but this year just doing the 3 hour drive up at 5am on race day. Hey, I never sleep much anyway before a race! Will eat a soreen on the way and that'll be my fuel done; never understood why people go insane with like 10 energy gels!

• Options

Going over on Saturday morning and staying in Edinburgh with family. Probably a BBQ on Saturday night, so I can watch the rest of the family eat burgers and ribs, whilst sinking  lots of beers. I will have to wait until Sunday afternoon for a pint..image

Porrige and then toast with honey on the morning of the race and then hopefully We will get a lift over to Regent road for the start.

Only an easy 3 miles to complete my prep on Friday, then can start getting apprehensive.

BBC says its to be a bit cooler over in Edinburgh at the weekend, I wouldnt mind a wee breeze at our backs for the run back from Gosford House. Fingers xxed. Good luck everyone. image

• Options
    Nightmare day as hols house here unfit for pigs, now in the holiday inn for tonight and looking elsewhere for seven of us tomorrow........hot here. Daughter unwell on the way up so unable to run the half in anyone wants a number call me on 07971 894476..
  • Options
    Outrageously hot day in Loch Lomond, glad to hear the consensus is for a few degrees cooler on Sunday. Taper has unravelled a bit, did 20 miles on the bike today and will do another 30 tomorrow. Ah well I am here for a holiday too, and will be off my feet on Saturday so hopefully it won't affect my race.

Good luck to everyone (especially fellow newbies!) I'm sure it's going to be awesome!
  • Options

Sorry to hear mcs, hope it sorts itself out.  All goes wrong at once doesn't it.  Nerves kicking it a bit for me, spot of man-flu not helping but fingers crossed it will have eased off by Sunday.  Little girl got chicken pox the other day, and my mate dropped out so all good.  Still can't wait for the race though.  One more long day in work then i'm driving up Saturday.  

• Options

just realised they're handing out gels not energy drinks now! Is that a late change of heart, very annoying for those who've planned their nutrition around those drinks if so. I have a course map showing where they're handing out energy drinks, so is that out of date?!

• Options

The latest is online and shows the gel stations which personally I think will benefit all runners, but they should have told us what gels!! Be safer just to take your own!!

Hope for some cool weather and I hope everyone has an awesome run! I didn't take gels last year, my first marathon, one tip for anyone new to marathons would be take plenty gels and take them strategically!! They work!! Otherwise the last 6 miles will be torture!!

• Options

Hi,

Not been on for a while now, had my ups and downs in training like most of us, flying up on Saturday.Just wanted to say good luck to everyone and have a great run/day!!!

• Options
    Yes, good luck!. This is my first marathon, which like everyone you train so hard for. A bit worried about the temperature as nearly most of my training has been in the rain, wind - you name it!! Who'd of thought it could've change so drastically! Never mind, just have to go for it I guess. Enjoy everyone!!
  • Options

Sunny intervals with a max of 17°C with 7mph wind from the east.

Good luck everyone and enjoy.