Options

GB Ultra Thames Trot 50

Comments

• Options

TH2, my plan for the day is just to get round haha! If ur looking for a simliar time tho, will be happy to pace together. Same goes for anyone else pacing between 9-10hrs image

My plan was to walk anything uphill (although i've heard it's a relatively flat 50m!?), and make sure i stop at all the CPs and refuel properly. And not go too quick!!!

Mooks i think i'm gonna try to top out at 80mile weeks if i can fit it in, mixing weekends with either back2back 20s or one 30+, or a 20+ and a 13+

Might squeeze a marathon in between now and then (as a good test of consistant pacing). any suggestions?

• Options

Wow SB, 80 mile weeks.  I'd love to be that hardcore but alas I am just not! 

My midweek runs can't get any longer as I have the same probs as some of the other ladies on here:  a full time job and a 5 year old son.  There is only so far I can go on my own in the dark and also only so much I can take after work.

Getting round is enough for me.  This is a training run for me not the A race.  Having said that I am aiming for sub 10.  I'm already questioning all my planning now other people have good what seem like better ideas!

• Options

I'm currently doing 23/15 b2bs on weekends, and have b2b marathons on the weekend of December 10.

I'm running home today, which will involve some of the TT course in between Oxford and Didcot.

Might be a good idea to get a group running togther on the day if we have similar objectives.

• Options

Mooks, me too, the TT is a build up to the UTSW (but i'm trying not to think about it too much, as it scares me).

This all sounds great to me, good to know on the day there'll be people in the same boat so to speak!

Might try for a another marathon in Jan (if i can find one)

• Options
    Double WOW! are you planning the 60 or the 100? I'm off to Nepal to run the Everest Marathon in May. My thinking being the TT is double the distance but also double the O2 so things should even out!!
  • Options
    UTSW looks pretty awesome, will have take a serious look at that for the future, 2012 is out as I have the Dartmoor Discovery earlier in the month. 32 miles of up down and around the moor! - I'm hoping that the TT stand me in good stead for it...
  • Options

Everest Marathon!? WOW to you too. that sounds amazing. I think ur logic is good. The TT should do us both good then (in the long run! maybe not at the time hehe).

I've entered the UTSW100, my mate who did the classic quarter earlier this year said i was mental to consider it... filling me with confidence! whats the worst that can happen...!?

• Options
    You collapse, but only over the finish line!
  • Options

A rule of thumb for the Thames Trot, is that your will likely complete it in approximately 2.25X your most recent marathon time. 

I use the Rutland Water Marathon (take note Superglue Boots), as my reference point. 

• Options
    There are times when coming on this thread is far too scary.... image
  • Options
    i agree chili, calcuating the finish time in my head is enough to make me go pale under the fake tan lolimage.......i am getting very good at playing mind games with myself over distances though latelyimage
  • Options

Cheers Ben, i was guesstimating around that somewhere.

Rutland (which i had a fairly bad struggle on the day) would put me sub 9hrs, so i think i've been quite conservative with between 9 n 10hrs. But would rather it that way than go out too quickly trying to hit a time i may struggle to meet.

And yes this thread is getting scary... but strangely still looking forward to it!

I found another marathon in Dec i'm gonna try n pace a bit better than the last... Portsmouth Coastal.

• Options
    I think its a good rule of thumb to go out slowly SGB....id rather tootle along and be ok to finish than get stressy about a finish time and crash and burn on the way round....what will happen to me i dont know as im a total nooobeeeeimage
  • Options

Can def stick to that rule image

You'll be fine on the day! think of all the hard work you'll have put in by then!!!

Gonna make sure i stop and stretch and refuel at the CPs too.

• Options
    I'm in. Got an email from the race director Guy who kindly let me carry over my entry from earlier this year following a broken leg.

Anyone doing Gatliff 50km in 2 weeks?
  • Options
    Superglue Boots wrote (see)

Gonna make sure i stop and stretch and refuel at the CPs too.

thats a good thing to rememeber too SGB, i tend to get crampy calfs after about 13/14 if uphill is involved..last two runs ive done ive stopped at about 9 miles to stretch before cramp begins..

• Options

Does this race fill up? Should I get my entry in now? Was going to wait another month until my long runs are a bit longer!

• Options

This race sold out in advance last year, but it was around January, and I got my place via the reserve list. 

Chances are that it could sell out sooner this time. 

You are probably O.K, but if you are sure you want to do it, the smart thing might be to sign up ASAP. 

• Options
    I asked that a few pages ago Chilli, didn't seem anyone knew?
  • Options
    Well 28 miles on the wend, a 16 and 12, felt pretty good! I even practised some drinking & eating on the run, which for me is very new image 30 next wend then...!
  • Options
    First back to back of the campaign for me this weekend - 13.5 miles off road yesterday and a 20 miler this morning. Always good to practise running on tired legs.
  • Options
    ultraBobban wrote (see)
    I'm in. Got an email from the race director Guy who kindly let me carry over my entry from earlier this year following a broken leg. Anyone doing Gatliff 50km in 2 weeks?
    Great news fella. Look forward to seeing you there. I am doing Portsmouth Coastal Mara on 18th Dec, don't know if that fits in with your plans? Be good to catch up.
  • Options

Well I'm finding getting back into training hard !! Its worrying how quickly you loose fitness. Well, 2 weeks into training now, beginning to feel that this might all be too much, but we'll see over the next couple of months. Back up to running 15 miles on muddy hills using a headtorch and cant believe just how hard it feels

Oh well, these things arnt supposed to be easy

Martin

• Options

Hi all, some good training going on, well done peeps!

17m Fri, 12m Sat, Hilly 15m Sun for me... and strangely feel fine. Got my mojo back.

I'm doing the Portsmouth Coastal too as a warm up event...

• Options
    Hi all just back from the druid challenge what a fantastic weekend 84 miles over 3 days total time about 15 hours 15 minutes i think not confirmed yet. it has really boosted my confidence for the TT now  9-10 hours for me to i think 
  • Options
    I was up on the Ridgeway for my LSR on Saturday, and saw all you guys coming into the finish. It looked like a really good event.
  • Options
    Well done Hunterway, thats awesome!
  • Options
    Immune, good to hear that you are doing this.....prep for TP100?! I might do the portsmouth coastal as Mrs UB is thinking of doing the half. I'm just coming back from a mini-setback so will most likely use this as a LSR and not rush round...well it is xmas isn't it!

Martin...great to see you back!
  • Options
    Yes, wil be LSR for TP100 4 weeks later. Still have issue with thigh from Sept, and probably didn't help with Pacing at NYC Mara 10days ago with pretty much relying on residual fitness. But it was amazing, and too good an opportunity to miss, so can't really complain. Still managing to get out this week, but prob only total 40miles, be good to get some decent mileage in at some stage though otherwise TP100 will be v v painful.
    Hope you can make Portsmouth, I might just plod round.
  • Options

Hi guys- good to see a thread about this one. I've entered!  I did my first 50 miler in July- the 50 mile challenge in Kent. Hard hard hard but a wonderful feeling of achievement. I REALLY need to start building up my weekend runs again now-  I've been running to and from work a few times during the week. Now to get the weekends back on schedule. Work has been really heavy recently and  have been feeling a bit wiped out on the weekends unfortunately ( very unlike me I have to admit- usually busting a gut to get out for a long run).

Was also planning to do the 50k London Ultra two weeks afterwards but not sure yet!

Anyway hope to get to meet some of you guys and gals on the day image