Options

Chester marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    He ow - you must live near me in widnes if everyone around you has a cold and you could have run in front of the Runcorn bus!

I am looking for 4:20/4:30 running with a girl from work and then doing Liverpool next week - if legs have recovered I want 4:00/4:15 there and then the aim is onwards to sub 3:25 next year.
  • Options
    Hi everyone... Taper tiredness has kicked in here too zzzzz

Looking forward to Sunday, my 4th marathon. Looking for around 3:45 but who knows what things may happen on the day!

Anyone know what gels they give out on route?
  • Options
    Scott, I retract my earlier statement re massage tomorrow. Don't, I'm shattered tonight and although it wasn't a deep tissue massage, it was enough to make me feel tired and you don't want that only 48 hours before, I think I remember her saying today was latest she should do it.
  • Options

Am I the only person who's enjoying the rest?image

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Apart from eating lots, avoiding ill people and finding my club vest, today the doctors couldn't the wires hold my son's broken arm together out of his arm today. He needs an op Saturday. Hoping he's out and everything is ok for more than the usual reason.
  • Options
    JPenno wrote (see)
    He ow - you must live near me in widnes if everyone around you has a cold and you could have run in front of the Runcorn bus!

JPenno, I don't actually, I live inbetween Helsby and Cheshire Oaks.  Runcorn buses passes our house though!  

Graeme, sorry to hear that about your son, hope he has a successful op and I am sure he will be right as rain.

Gaz - life is just one bloody Stag Do to you innit...?image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Claire Coney wrote (see)
    My kids want to do it but want their dad to run it with them ... he is not a runner! Are you signing up on the morning or afternoon before?

was going to try sign up day before

• Options

This thread has had nearly 71,500 views but only 2,664 posts.  Who the hell is reading it who isn't running it?! 

• Options

I found last week harder, theres always the temptation to do a bit extra because theres still 2 weeks to go. This last week is a no-brainer, just get to the starting line on rested legs!!

• Options

Yes I agree Gaz re 2 weeks before, in fact I ran 80% of my weekly mileage on taper 2 weeks before Manchester, far too much.  Rookie error.  So, I can imagine, what with doing a 24 and a 26.2 miler in training late Feb, a shit taper etc, it all didn't help me on the day whatsoever.  You only learn from mistakes though I suppose. 

• Options

Yeah HE, theres things in my training that didn't work out this summer that I'm going to change for next time. Live and learn as they say!! Going to have a pop at writing my own training plan for Manchester (cue a 5 hour marathon!!!).

• Options
    I've not done this marathon before - is the course flat? Just my second marathon with Manchester my first so the weather has got to be better? Feel quite relieved reading some earlier posts as I feel worn out for some reason this week and getting very nervous. Good luck to everyone running.
  • Options
    Not as flat as Manchester but pretty flat.
  • Options

RACE UPDATE

Great to see the thread so busy; thought I would make a post to let you know how we are getting on.

The ground conditions at the racecourse are much improved after a good day today.  All puddles have been drained, dried out and/or filled so the running surface for the grass sections of both marathon and mini marathon should be good - so no wellies required image

The finish marquee went up this afternoon and we will be setting up the Racecourse tomorrow and taking over the Tented Village.  This evening we loaded up all the post race treats ready for goody bag packing in the morning - however we may be a bag of Haribo short .... mmmmmm image

Andy & I are really looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible on Sunday, we are hoping to spend most of our time at the finish line congratulating you as you finish.

Wishing you all the best for Sunday and hopefully a restful next couple of days.

Good times !

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Thanks for the update Chris - much appreciated. Is there any way you can organise it so that my daughter wins the mini marathon?

• Options
    Thanks Chris ... great news all round. Can't wait for my first visit to Chester and my first marathon image
  • Options
    Hello everyone, hope people are able to loose the colds and stuff before sunday.

I managed my first run in 10 days today really nothing special but I know how Heow likes to hear about itimage so here it is.
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

roll on sundayimage

• Options
    andy the deestrider. wrote (see)
    Hello everyone, hope people are able to loose the colds and stuff before sunday.
    I managed my first run in 10 days today really nothing special but I know how Heow likes to hear about itimage so here it is.

Yay!  Your first mile!  You are officially now a runner...   Is this the first time you have used HRM?  I use mine every now and again to check fitness, I compared Sunday's HR with similar run I did just before Manchester and my HR has dropped by 4% so I am officially 4% fitter than I was 5 months ago.   A lot of people swear by HADD. I haven't actually looked into it in depth.  Are you running it Sunday Sicknote...? 

• Options

ChrisH - thank you for the update  Now, a quick question...  IF I don't get a PB, can you just rejiggle the computer to make it look like I got a sub 3:45?  Super, smashing, great and ta muchly.  

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Chris- you can have my Haribos- I've put on 3lbs this weekimage

Claire- congrats on the job!!image

I am officially losing the plot and climbing the walls now!! Just under 5m jog this evening, but didn't really help. I'm like a kid after a session on a huge bag of sweets full of E numbers!! Can we start now? Can we? Can we?

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Lazy runner- well done. How are you feeling for the big day now?image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Of course, my weight gain is all glycogen and water- I know that.....image

• Options
    jason d wrote (see)

Of course, my weight gain is all glycogen and water- I know that.....image

You'll still look stunning Jason.  Don't worry.  

• Options

good to see you back ANdy Deestrider, hope you re mended. Hope everyone's sniffles are just temporary tapering madness, and disappear tomorrow. Last run for me done this was it with Buckley runners  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/229980171 a nice little bimble , possibly a bit faster than i should have really , and what about that last 400ft  sub 6minute mile pace ho ho , couldnt do that much longer. So anyone who's thinking of coming to Buckley - do come along we have several groups - i was defo in slow tonight, and there was a faster group, but also with relative newcomers. have a look at http://buckleyrunners.blogspot.co.uk/ our Blogspot for the wide variety of runners we have.  Right thats it for running till Sundays little 26.2 mile jogathon- anyone in the 4hr 15 to 4 30 group are well welcome to join me - i'll be in BLUE Buckley runners vest or T  with Welsh Dragon cap - probably starting well near the back , starting off slowly, slowly then we'll see. goal pace 9min 40ish pace . off to print my pace bands now- theres a link somewhere here on RW. talk laters . chill folks  

• Options
    A bit of a session at the gym tonight, feeling a bit lethargic though!
  • Options

Wrexhamrob - that's my plan too! I might end up joining you too image I'll look out for you!

• Options

15west - everyone's a winner in the Mini Marathon

jason d - Cheers your haribo were yum

HeOw - Think positive, be strong, of course you will get your shiny new PB

• Options

Thanks for the update Chris, much appreciated.  

Everyone still sneaking in these little 5 milers, ha.  I'm just enjoying the rest, and not having to work out how to fit work, run and family into 16 hours of waking time. Possibly haven't eaten enough pasta this week (yet) but what the hell.    

• Options

Genghis, is it actually quite pointless running now, I mean, do I not need to keep legs ticking over?  I am thinking that resting may be better for me to be honest, psychologically too.  No point doing a shite 3 miler tomorrow and feeling like a tw@t again is there?   

ChrisH, thank you.  But you could fix it for me, yerno, like Jimmy Saville would have.