Options

2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• Options

11 miles @5min30s/km done in blistering conditions in a pouring rain... What's up with this weather...

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Bridget - yes I mentioned the pizza and crunchies, seemed more interested in my hydration and Starbucks habit. Reality is I need to have smaller portions and cut back on crap.

Had the evening off and ate fish and chips and chocolate obviously not together.
  • Options
    A nice 8 miles at 8:32 pace in the rain tonight, bit windy for the first four miles though image
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Nice running Mon
    Gobi think we all need to cut back on the crap now it's January.
    MF your putting together some great sessions.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Teknik,

You're jumping the gun a bit with my marathon.  I've not even entered yet.  I'm undergoing physio for a hip problem so will wait & see what she says when I go next however I'll leave my name against it for the time being image!

--------------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Good to see you're recovering NP.

The worst thing about January is people take all the sweets and biscuits they don't want into the office. Only had 2 biscuits so could be a lot worse. image

Did 8 miles tonight on the treadmill as weather shocking. 8mm pace felt tough, legs still feeling yesterday's session.

F

• Options

This slow running is melting me awayimage I have lost 3lbs in the last week!

10miles this evening at 9.30pace, which now that I have got used to running slower I quite enjoy, so thanks for your tips Teknik, Gobi et al.

I forgot that I have entered a x country event on Saturday! so I now need to readjust my running plan for the rest of the week. I hope my legs will move fast after all these long slow runs that I have been doingimage

• Options
    I've managed to do really well so far this week, eaten well and lost a couple of pounds since last week. Still have another half a stone to go before I'm 'race ready' so to speak.

Must admit though, this dry January I'm doing is pretty hard, could murder a cold beer after tonight's run!
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Gazelle: don't thank me, it's all Gobi
    HY4: Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed.
  • Options

Well I am back home after a very long and horrible journey - 6 hours driving in first torrential rain then snow then torrential rain again followed by 2 hours on a very rocky boat. 2months before I leave this island again and hopefully the next journey will be better than the last 2!!!

Just back from a very cold, wet and slow 10 miles................ the electric blanket is now on!!! image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Well done, Kaz. Thinking of your journey makes it easier to face the howling gale outside :}
  • Options
    I'm knackered just reading that, Gobi!

Don't know how you do it, just 40 miles a week running and 100 on the bike is enough to see me absolutely worn out.
  • Options

Kaz- an electric blanket sounds like a good idea... might invest in one if it carries on like this.  Couldn't get warm last night after coming back from the run.

Gazelle- I've also got xc this and next Saturday.  It's a bit tricky trying to fit them into the schedule, especially when your Saturdays are meant to be recovery days...

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    MF - so you don't need to hear that my dry month has lasted over 24 years then :¬)

Road trip time again soon :¬)
  • Options
    Mon, I don't think the P&D schedule makes enough use of time I get at the weekend. I think I'll probably do a slow medium-long run on the Saturdays when I havn't got a MP pace long run on the Sunday (2 out 3 weeks I think).
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    LR of 14m this morning.  Very windy, then nice and sunny, then windy and wet again (you get a lot of climatic change when you run this slowlyimage). Looking forward to rest day tomorrow.
  • Options
    has anyone used the Ultimate marathon schedule for sub 4:30? how did you find it?
  • Options

Nice 4 mile recovery on the dreadmill at 10kph, hope that was the right speed! Followed by lots of stretching and sit ups, I find it hard at home to motivate myself to do sit ups.

Mon77- Where is your xc held? Ours is Droitwich, would be good to meet up if in the same place.

I have changed the days on the P&D as I need the weekends free for family stuff. Each day is moved forward ie my long run(sunday in the book) is on Monday ect.

• Options

Gazelle- mine is in Denbies (Dorking) on a wine farmimage. Where is Droitwich?

I find it very hard to motivate myself to do any other form of exercise than running.  But wil persevere this time with core exercises... I hope.

• Options
    10 miles today. Horrible weather.
  • Options

Horrendous weather here today again. Really pleased I got myself motivated this morning and did my 10 miles instead of leaving it until tonight. Really struggled with the wind this morning, and I was also very stiff after sitting all day yesterday .image

Looks like it'll be more treadmill if this weather keeps up. Find doing slow runs really hard on it thou??

• Options

Weathers more settled here in central Scotland and not before time

Easy 4 today @9.06 average,followed by an easy 5 tomorrow am

Noticed a few people sniggering on todays run,they must have thought i was a new years resolution runner,or maybe thats just what i looked like

Be lucky guys

YC

• Options
    Hi guys. Been reading for a while, so thought its about time I actually post!

I'm running my first full marathon in Edinburgh in May. I'm not the most experienced runner, having only done 1 half and a few 10k.

Todays run - 6.87miles@8.35. Much too fast, still trying to get used to training at a slower pace. Pretty much all prior running has been done as fast as possible.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mon,

What's the terrain like round there as that's where my marathon is going to be?  I know it's going to be a 2 lap course.

• Options

Welcome Stuart. Good luck for the training for edinburgh.

Young Cowboy, keep up the good work and ignore the others.....

Well done on your 10 miles Kaz and Gaz OC.Tough conditions , so well done for sticking with it .

Mon, I have the same lack of motivation with the core stuff, but too am tring my best to keep it up....good luck with the regime. Good luck with the XC

Gazelle, good luck with your XC too....your traing sounds like its going well

Runner 32, sorry, have not used it. Good luck with it. 

Well done with teh 14 Teknik....you sound like your enjoying the slow running, sure you will benefit from it. 

Gobi....if you not drinking then I think your allowed a Crunchie or two. Think you should be happy with your 2011, understand the dissapointment with your marathon, but your 800M was excellent !!

After yesterdays tempo run I decided to keep it simple with an hrs run at 70%MHR...feeling good and done 15 Mins or core afters image

• Options

AGF- I'm impressed with your posts, do you have a pen and paper next to you or can you remember what everyone posts??? I have to keep strolling up and down the page I am on to see who I need to reply to, is there a short cut button that I'm not aware of?

Mon77- Droitwich is in the Midlands so we are 100 miles apart

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Great running going on- despite the conditionsimage Well done, guys!

Gobi- blog interesting read as ever- hope 2012 is a better year for you, mateimage

I spent FAR too much of my life changing the strap on my Garmin 405 today- fiddly or what???? Oh, and no instructions!! If anybody else needs to do this, there is a Youtube vid showing how to do it- good luck!! Must have been around an hour- and the flimsy tool supplied broke!image  A slow 7.4m am and similar 7.65m pm today. Recce of second half of the Cardiff route tomorrow. Apparently, the 50m race is actually well over 51 I hear! Nice to know in advance, I suppose....

• Options

MF/ Gobi -lol the dry month!!! I had my first alcoholic drink in 10 months on New Years Eve........... and  it'll be the last for a long long while........... somersaulting in the street is not part of my normal behaviourimageimage

YC- glad the weathers improved for you in Stirling - I took the bad weather home with me!! Its absolutely awful here today.......

Off now to see about marathons near where my brother lives......any excuse for a wee holiday!!image

• Options

5 recovery miles for me tonight at 5.54min/km.  After yesterday's longish 11 miles in a storm I had no problems slowing down today.  At last the wind has died down a bit, what a relief.

Welcome Stuart.

HY4- you mean Denbies?  I would say hilly or at least undulating... depending on your definition of hills.  Definitely not flat.  In terms of surface it's partly gravel partly grass.  Can get muddy.  Do you get free wine after the mara?image

AGF- thanks for the encouragement.

Gobi- wish I could cut out the booze for good.  Have been seriously toying with this idea.  Interesting stuff on your blog.  You were certainly busy in 2011.

Gazelle- shame... so we won't be meeting on Saturdayimage.