Options

Over the Edge Marathon and Half Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Fantastic.... You've covered some miles the last few weeks haven't you? Bet you're looking forward to a beer tomorrow night even more than the rest of us!
  • Options

well will have to watch then to watch then from about 14 - 15miles then or for us half marathoners mile 2 - 3 then

I went over garmin route today but was hard to follow with the instructions I have to say, so really hoping its well marked out as I dont think i am going to be able to follow those instructions awfully well Chris  Is there Mile markers along the route do you know?

I checked out the finish walk back to the car park its about a mile!!! I may hang around in Much Wenlock first tho as will be interesting to see Jonathon Edwards, must remember to carry some money with me too as I will probably have a cuppa when i'm finished!!! or a hot chocolate if there is any place serving those

who is on the coach in the morning? and is anyone else doing the HM on here

I will be wearing my aldridge running club top which is blue and black but to be honest i will be wearing my flourescent pink waterproof and will have a flourescent yellow woolly hat on  as always wear that and my hair in plaits when it rains otherwise the rain does strange things to my hair!! and i am the proud owner of purple trainers, so should look very colourful in the morning 

I wonder whether I need to pack sunglasses lol

I am debating at the moment whether to pack a bag and leave it on the coach for it to be took back to the finish after as i may drop cold quite quickly as that happened after VLM when it tipped it down after i finished!

• Options
    I'm just going for the Half, 2 marathons a year are all my knees I think can manage, so will look out for you on the coach. Am definately taking a small gym bag on the coach, and have just labelled it with my name.

From Chris' previous postings I'm sure they've done a really good job in marking the route. If in doubt follow the mass of muddy footprints!
  • Options
    Oh and good luck everyone who reads this! Enjoy....
  • Options

Thanks to Chris and team for so much work in preparing this one. 

Good luck everyone, taking part! 

Had my pasta, just off to bed.  Up early tomorrow!

• Options
    Route marking finished!

Don't leave anything on the busses, if it's in a bag with a label on it (we have labels) I will load it into a trailer and drop it off at the priory hall for you.

See you tomorrow everyone

Chris
  • Options
    Wow. Ouch. How did everyone get on?
  • Options

That was just the toughest think ever.  The heat, the hills, the mud.  Brilliantly organised, with lovely marshalls.  Finished over 1 hour outside my target time and really underestimated how difficult the course was.  However really pleased that I finsihed the full marathon and may be back when it is a bit drier.

• Options

A brilliant event Chris, thank you for all you hard work-that truly was a challenge for you and your team. Wow, the hills and the mud, what a combination! Delicious cake at the end. Well done buddy.

• Options

Mud mud glorious mud.   5 hours for me and its the toughest marathon yet.

• Options

Congrat's Brer just popped on to see how you had got on would you do it again??

• Options

Hiya Sandra...definitely! Well done Spen, I imagine that was a gruelling full marathon.

• Options

Wow!  Excellent work Chris, really well organised in every way.  Way marking, water tables.  Really nice supportive marshalls on hand, photographer and lovely ladies at the end.  Thanks to all. 

A tough course, even without the mud.  A new PW for me!!!  Well worth it though absolutely beautiful scenery.  Thanks again Chris.

• Options

Anyone know when/where results will be posted so I can see in black and white my new PWimageimage. Dont care about the time though, had a fab day.

• Options
    I can only echo the above comments Chris, and I was really pleased to meet you briefly at the end to shake your hand and thank you in person. Please can you pass on our thanks to all the marshals, cake makers and everyone else involved. You've done an amazing job on this.... Really hope it's on next year!
  • Options

Have to agree with everything said so far.   The organisation was first class - from arriving at the car park, the buses, collecting numbers, through to water stations, marshalls, finish refreshments etc.   Thank you to everyone involved and, hopefully, see you next year.  image

• Options
    I will certainly pass on your kind words, thank you.

Give us a day or two to sort results out, will let you know when they are available.

All staff and volunteers really enjoyed it, all runners were really friendly. Don't you just love it when everyone is happy and pleasant to each other.

Any improvements we could make let us know, (less mud is not a reasonable request).

Hope the aches are not too bad!

Chris
  • Options

well i've just finished cleaning the mud off me lol, what a fantastic event, but WOW that was tough, worst for me were the first 3miles ( on the half marathon ) my new trainers have definitely been christened 

it was really nice to get to chat to you so much at the end Chris while i was waiting for; my bf and my friends to come in, loved meeting Jonathan Edwards ( and having my photo with him ) what a top guy, he remembered everything i said to him at the start and asked me about it at the end

my socks i dont think will ever be clean, i got stung a few times, thanks for organising the fighter jets they were awesome  ;-)  

i cried running at the finish, so many people cheering

thought the route was brilliant marked out ( even if i did go the wrong way at the top of the steps with 2miles to go ) marshalls were so friendly, i drunk the squash more than the water, and filled my bottle up with water, and thanks to the kind marshall who let me nick his fruit from his lunch box!!! 

support was fantastic and although i wont do it again ( i'll stick to road racing thanks ) i would say it was an excellent excellent organised race and so friendly, so hope u do do it again as you really should be pleased how it went

and THE WEATHER WAS SUNNY!!! did u organise that as wellimage  Thanks for a fantastic day!!

It was nice to see you Brer Rabbit, glad you recognised me Spen71 i missed you again!!!

welld done to those that did it, my garmin says 14.53 miles and i did it in 3 hours 37, that will do for me, am happy with that!!!! 

• Options
    Top drawer day as my mum would say. Weather was fine, course was challenging but not ridiculous. Jonathan edwards was a class act, route was perfectly marked, marshalls were plentiful and pleasant. Dont change a thing for next year please !
  • Options

My first ever marathon, and my first ever trail run - and I've got the bug!

It was a superb day - thanks Chris, and everybody else who helped organise it, and made it run so smoothly, and everybodys enthusiasm!  I wish I could bottle some, and take it home!

I finished in 4hr 35min, with a few less toe nails, but lots and lots of new friends - a fantastic day!  image

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

Utterly marvellous day, organisation was perfect, marshalls were ace, and we had the most excellent time. 

Set a possible record for the World's Slowest Half Marathon (4 hours 53! Really!) but had a brilliant day imageimageimage Laughed and laughed all the way round the course. Not sure you could have improved anything at all! Thanks for having such ludicrously long cut off times - I never would have done it without that, and now I wouldn't have missed it for the world image

• Options

Well what a gruelling event.  I only did the Half and I have so much admiration for those that ran the full marathon.  It seemed to me that the whole thing was uphill!!

Excellent organisation and it must have taken an age to do all that strimming.  I finished the Half in around 2hrs 40 and I am in a world of pain today!!  Really great reception at the finish that left me very emotional!

Well done to all that ran and thanks to the organisers.

• Options

i am remarkabley  happy with how i feel this morning, despite those hills the only thing that is hurting me surprisingly is my ankles, probably using my muscles to pull out my feet when they got stuck in the mud, of course it might be a different story tomorrow but I nearly went out for a run this morning!!!!!

• Options
    This sounds like a fabulous race! I know you're just recovering from yesterday, but can I ask if this will be on next year? Is it likely to be the first weekend in July, so I can save the date image
  • Options

Ooooooooooo I loved having a chat to Jonathan Edwards.   That was number 8 this year and found it the toughest yet.

• Options

What a killer that was yesterday. It was my first ever marathon and my first ever running event. That was tough, i don't want to see another hill for a very long time.

It was a brilliant day, very well organised. No chance of getting lost which i was worried about.  Marshalls were superb. Great flapjacks and juice on the way round. Thanks to everyone. Good cake at the finish as well.

I ran 4hr 20min, next time i will have some trainers with more grip and take a few more supplies. Also Mr Edwards top man. 

• Options

ooh yes I got my pic with Mr Edwards at the start and then instead of walking off which I thought he might have done, he carried on chatting to me asking me all about my running and I told him it was my first off road, then we talked about me doing London and also laughted about my new running shoes, then at the end, i went and asked him for another picture and he laughed about the state of my new trainers and asked me if i found it tougher than London and then went on to introduce me this woman saying I had done London and this was my first trail run I was amazed how much he remembered of what I had told him, in the end i thanked him and walked away for fear of hogging him from anyone else speaking to him but he had so much time to chat, top top bloke!!!

• Options

Yes he was very nice.   I talked to him about running, athletics in general, rowing, the BBC and Brad Wiggins.    He started to walk off and then come back to shake my hand,

• Options

Hey Hannahsmomuk..great to meet you yesterday, you really made me laugh with all your provisions. Glad I got the photo shoot rightimage I think you are star-struck! He was really a nice chap..some other 'sports icons' could learn from him.

• Options

It was great to meet you too brer rabbit, i couldnt stop shaking after the photo and the fact that he had spoken to me, i was totally star struck lol Thankfuly my legs didnt stay for jelly for long, although maybe that may have given me an advantage up those bloody hills!!!!