Options

Over the Edge Marathon and Half Marathon

Comments

• Options

I'd like to know how that compared with one of the coastal marathons (say Anglesey coastal).  Is there anyone who has done one of those as well as Over The Edge or has a good knowledge of them (or other trail marathons).  I have only done three off road marathon routes and one of those is White Peaks, which is a piece of cake compared to Sunday.  I have always fancied the idea of the coastal marathons but have been afraid of how arduous they might  be.

• Options

Hi Hannahs mom.    My legs are achy and yes it seems to be the ankles which are the worse.   All that slipping and sliding.

• Options

HI King Kon

My running buddy has done the whole coastal series, which is what inspired me to do this one.  She said the coastal series was less muddy, but other than that very similar, though with more windy weather (obviously as they're on the coast!) I reckon if you can handle this one, you can handle anything!  It has driven me to take on some seriously tough challenges - Housman 100 perhaps?!

• Options

hi all, did the marathon and yes was the hardest thing ive ever done in my life!! but felt that i just wanted to say a huge big thankyou to all that helped make the day so special. the organisation fab, the marshalls the best ive ever come accross, and then all of the other runners, everyone was so friendly.so thankyou. it was my first marathon and i know now ive got some work to do!!and as for mud,well lets just say am now looking for a beach holliday!!haha.

• Options

Thanks, Debbie that is very encouraging.  I am totally impressed by your time, on that course and first time out.  I reckon I've got a few months to work on fitness and practice more off road running, AND find some comfortable off road shoes. Before Anglesey, which I think is January.  I'd love to do the coastal series, I lived in Devon at one time and also Cornwall and have a good idea of how woderful those routes must be.  Now I'm up in North Wales, the logistics would not work.  I also have a little rule that stops me going event crazy.  If it takes longer to drive there and back than it takes to run it, then it's probably, (all rules have to be broken from time to time) too far away... find another event.  Good running!  image

• Options

Hi sally, was it you who was running with your partner. This is matt who you were chatting to just before the run. If so hope you both got around ok with not too many traumas. What a marathon to pick as our first! Ouch! Could have done with some of your supplies of jelly babies. 

some photos of the day have been put up - http://www.virtual-shropshire.co.uk/gallery3/index.php/about/Wenlock-Olympian-Marathon-2012

good photo of me dead on the floor looking like i've just been hit by a car with my girlfriend looking over me.  

• Options

Love the photo.  says it all really.

• Options

Great event, loved the route and organisation was spot on. The mud was fun and made it more of a challenge to remember.

Has any one found any more photos on-line, there seemed to be quite a few people taking pics but not found any?

• Options
    Not found any more, I'm after some as I didn't get chance to take any.
  • Options

The only complaint I have about the whole event is that I thought the medal could of been better with it being an Olympic year.

• Options

Chris where are the photos for the event?

• Options

Hows the legs Hannahsmom?

• Options
    Unfortunately cost came into it with medals, putting on an event like this is not a big money maker, bigger medals would have left the NT out of pocket.

There are a few photos on the virtual Shropshire website, will ask around at the Olympian games this weekend and try to track down some more.

Chris
  • Options

hahha Spen, they have recovered now, well it was my ankles that didnt seem to stop aching everytime i walked on them lol, finally did my first recovery run this week ( although not at my club, i went down there as they asked me for a race report and they all laughed when i was gushing about jonathan edwards lol ) 

I saw quite a few cameras at the end but not seen many of the finishing photos, thought that whoever was doing the photos may have took pictures of all the finishers, give them a nudge chris lol, i mean to take a picture of you when i was talking to you at the end but forgot.  I got one of you standing on the side when Jonathan Edwards was talking at the beginning of the Half 

Despite the fact of it being hard, i enjoyed the fun side of it, and i didnt feel guilty walking so much either as most people that were by me were walking lol

• Options

There was a gentleman with an exceedingly large zoom standing behind the line.  He appeared to take a picture of me.  He then appeared to take another of me talking to the nice lady who handed out the medals.  She was great, either NT or Olympian Society and clearly knew nothing about marathon running or runners, utterly charming.  So much nicer than the club member organisers you get after some events, who seem quite fed up and just want to go home.  Anyway who was the man with the zoom and where did his photos go.  He may feel he only wants to use the best pictures for virtual shropshire or the local paper or whatever.  However could someone suggest to him how much us marathon runners treasure the momentos of a day like last Sunday, even if it's not a great photo?  I would love those photos, i even managed a smile and a wave.  image 

• Options
    Will speak to him tomorrow, see what I can do.

Chris
  • Options

That would be great.  If he was from virtual shropshire, there are some great pictures on there!

• Options

hi matt yes it was my partner and me who you were chatting to, i am totally in awe of the time you did this crazy event in. i knew you would do well and without any supplies with you. totally mad but utterly amazing!! we didnt do quite as well, in fact we pretty much slipped and slided around the whole thing while eating said jelly babies and laughing a lot due to mud being everywhere even on my face(thought i was g,i jane or something!haha) i dont know about you but we vowed never ever to do it agin, that was untill weds night( after pain has gone and only the good memories remain)that yeah we would give it another go. but im pretty sure everyone feels the same.

• Options
    It will be easy next time! Ok easier!!!
  • Options

yeah? i hear what your saying- but dont think i believe you!! will have to wait and see, let the games begin(again)!!HAHA.......

• Options
    There were hundreds of photos taken, the photographers just haven't had time to put them all on the site yet as they are busy photographing all the other events.

Chris
  • Options

Thanks Chris, I'll look out for them. image

• Options

Where should I look, am I missing something?

• Options

Hi, I was the 'British Airways' runner you may have seen out on the course. Great day, great race, real sense of achievement on finishing the half (credit to the marathon finishers, that must have been exceptionally tough). Loved the mud (my trusty Walsh shoes took care of the mud and water, no lose of grip) and the finish at Much Wenlock was just fantastic, what a reception. Would love to know what the cake was you were giving out in the hall at the end, boy did it recharge the batteries. Like others on here, I'd be interested on seeing more photos, look forward to getting the link. 

• Options
    And Chris, I believe congratulations might be in order.... Winner of the 100 mile walk?? If correct that's a completely phenomenal effort well done!
  • Options
    Thanks, it is indeed correct. I am a total wreck now but pleased with how it went.

As for photos the photographer was still taking pics today so I guess that now the games are over they might have time to upload them.
  • Options
    So how long did that take then? And will look out for the photos thanks.
  • Options
    24 hours 09 mins

Ouch!
  • Options

Does anyone have any news on the photos?  It would be great to see the full set after such a gruelling and enjoyable ordeal.