Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options

Great pic WT. Looks like possibly one of Jovi's clubmates in the background.. and yes what heroines both you and Susan are! image

I've been gulping water all day, finally feel re-hydrated from yesterday but it's taken a while.

Martin - the t-shirt was nice enough but I asked for a small and only realised they'd given me an XL when I opened the bag later! So that will be going straight to the charity shop. Nice medal though, and fresh fruit (strawberries, melon, blueberries etc) at the end was a nice touch.

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Last yoga lesson of term hurrah. V.g. but a bit much to fit in with marathon training. Also 3 miles v. V. Slow. Have started listening to marathontalk - Tutu your clubmate was mentioned re South Downs ultra.
  • Options
    Really Fido? In what context? There were only 3 ladies finished it and she was 2nd, I'm so chuffed for her! (Jovi - this is Helen / YP1, who I think you vaguely know!)
  • Options
    Jovi - keep meaning to speak to you about the Coasters gb thing... have you been following it much / at all? I really haven't... oops... but anyway it's looking more and more likely that our leg (if you are still up for it!) will be 18th July - how amazingly handy would that be?!?! Can't believe it's less than 3 weeks away.... (the coastal run anyway..)
  • Options
    Tutu - haven't really been following as have been away from home for most of the last 3 weeks. Would be very handy indeed if 18 July. It would be trickier if it was earlier in the week as i need to sign on so would be hard if it was mid week. Have been looking at trains for 22nd. hink i may go a little earlier as the train is a bit cheaper - hope to come back on same train though.

Was going to do a run but still not 100% over my cold. Throat sounding very raspy too although i think that is due to singing and partying. still, it is quite a novelty to have a husky voice. Hope to be well enough to go to running club tomorrow night - seems ages since I have been there.
  • Options
    JuddermanJudderman ✭✭✭

Smeagol - I'm sure you mean JBJ not BJB!

Muggy and humid here today so should be interesting for a planned 8 miles tonight. Missed my run at the weekend due to horrendous hangover Saturday which lingered through to Sunday - sure sign I'm getting old!

Tutu / Jovi - the Coasters are doing well. I think the tricky parts were the west and north coast of Scotland, but they are done and dusted now so I can't see why it won't work now. Just in case you didn't know - here is the website Coasters GB

• Options
    Jman - I had a horrendous hangover saturday too which lingered into my 5km on sunday its such a pain the lack of drinking capacity .. really keep thinking I should just knock it on the head completely but then thats so dull... got a 50th tomorrow eve - will drive I think then that sorts out the temptation to over refresh!! on saturday I SWORE never ever again  ... (again.... ) image
  • Options
    LOL re all the hangovers! i find that i seem to suffer the day after much more as i have get older. Did lots of "training" over the last few weeks though - scarily my tolerance seems to have increased significantly over the period so once im back from Greece it will be normal service resumed and a return to the reduced alcohol consumption.
  • Options
    JuddermanJudderman ✭✭✭
    Susan - don't think it was my lack of drinking capacity - it's just I was way over capacityimage
  • Options
    Train tickets booked for 22nd - do i need to bring a sleeping bag?
  • Options
    Agree re the hangovers, mine are getting worse - or is it that I drink more when I do drink?

Woman in race didn't see me after, presumed she finished though as there were no DNF - would like me £5 water bottle back though......

Only yesterday really scarily realised I am doing a 25 mile race on Sunday - how did I forget that?? There's a group of us doing it as a walk/run I think so we can support the ones who aren't used to such long distances. Running friend has planned 3 x 30 mile recees of the Bullock Smithy route as well - am now scared. I will be pestering Martin to death for advice on 22nd!

AH - I have been using the powerplate but would prefer to do some classes on them, but there are none round here. Have you found it has made a difference?

I did a Bodypump class yesterday and I am practically crippled today, my rear is killing me! Also ran last night and did some killer hills so I am walking like an old lady today!
  • Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    WT sounds fab!
    Tutu you'll have to listen to it (is vg anyway)
  • Options

WT -  dunno re powerplate classes.  The whole idea was to boost my core and back strength to help keep me comfortable for longer in a silly bike position.  It's certainly mission accomplished there, but whether that's entirely down to powerplate isn't really clear.  I've been doing pilates, too, and of course I've done shed loads of cycling so all of those things will have helped. The boys who take the classes are convinced they're stronger and have lower body fat.  When I was swimming this morning I realised how hard i must have worked my back, arms and shoulders yesterday.

We are clearly a load of drunkards and lushes. I completely wasted my precious day off on Sunday (and good night's sleep on Saturday) because of booze. image

Martin - if you're out there... are you feeling better yet?

• Options

Coaching this evening then driving to Birmingham to run a course tomorrow. So you've another quiet day without me image.

Am lurking on the IM Germany thread - it's this weekend. It's kind of pre-race taper madness rehearsal for me!  Looks like it's going to be incredibly hot for them and a non-wetsuit swim.  I wouldn't mind a non-wetsuit swim, but it'll be a real worry to some people who like wetsuits to buoy them up.

Am really getting quite excited. Just got to get tomorrow out of the way then I really have to think about packing and writing lists of race kit, training kit, camping kit, food, lists about lists, lists about things to do, etc etc. Need to work out how to fit two bikes in the car without taking up too much space.  imageimageimageimage

• Options

oh my god AH - excited .. good on you girl.. I would be sooooooo terified..  you are an iron woman...

yes the drinking is much harder than it used to be .. sadly no less enjoyable but the hangovers... eeek.... 

no running for me today - meeting in about half an hour .. am clerking .. deadly deadly dull..

Jovi - no need for sleeping bag on the 22 nd have enough stuff of various duvets/ sleeping bags for you all.. its WT, Jovi, TuTu and Martin isnt it?

Martin... how are you ??? hope you are feeling better...

• Options

AH/Susan- Thanks for asking. Sorry to say Rubbish. Doctor confirmed chest infection was a bit concerned when given super strong AB plus a blue inhaler! If no beter in 5 days got to go back. 2 days on do feel a bit better. Want to run but wont and thats the first time felt that in a week.

AH- Hope its the same for you as me, but convinced its the sub 4 bit that made the taper easier for SA.

WT- You will be fine. Remember its a run/walk not a race!

Howard- Get well

• Options

Hope you continue to feel better Martin.

I think I'm about 99% now. Might have a gentle run tomorrow.

• Options

Gosh AH I am excited for you and your lists - they will be some of the most mega-packing lists you have ever made, I bet!

Sorry you still aren't well Martin. Hope you get better soon.

Oh wow, you are literally having 4 of us to stay on 22nd Susan?! Hope that is definitely OK... proper good sleepover then - can't wait! image

• Options
    JuddermanJudderman ✭✭✭

Didn't do 8 mles this evening - cut it short to 5, on account of Mrs J's good news.

imageShe's only gone and got a new job as a Headteacher!  So pleased for her. image

Hope you're back on track soon Howard & Martin

Tutu - forgot to say - well done on that hot half!

WT -good luck for the weekend. You'll be fine.

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Martin - eww
    Jman - yay
    WT - towel?
    6 miles today.
  • Options

Great news for Mrs J, Jman - make sure you celebrate hard!!

I'm in shock, there is actually a half decent photo of me running from the race on Sun..
    Me at about 12 miles, still smiling somehow!!

It's not a very exciting photo, but I am on the humber bridge...!

• Options
    Doing a killer xc relay tonight, the Danefield Relay, on the Otley Chevin = where I am getting married!! image (the race is just down the road..) The 3 mile route has probably the toughest hill I've ever tried to run up - joint with the one in the Para's 10, right at the end imageimage In a sick sort of way I'm looking forward to it... my team will almost definitely be last as there are usually only very competitive / fast teams turn up (and us, haha!!)
  • Options

Otley Chevin - I know it. That is one mamma of a hill!

1.8 miles this morning in 15.03. Felt really tough - not on the feet but just general (lack of) fitness wise.

• Options
    Great pic Tutu. Hope the relay goes well tonight - i certainly dont envy you running up that hill image
  • Options

Good photo Tutu  and good luck with the relay.

Get well soon Martin

Well done Howard

Congrats Mrs JMan

• Options

Fingers crossed you're on the mend, Martin. Didn't quite get what you meant about the sub 4 bit helping the taper?

Way hey, Mrs J!  Head teacher!  God, JMan, you're not going to see her any more... wow.  Clever sausage!

Just had long tiring day in B'ham.  They were hard work, those delegates.  Looooong drive home... but enlivened by hearing Little John on Radio 4. image

• Options
    Blimey - quiet on here.  Just off for my last long run. Dreading it as usual. Just two hours today.
  • Options

Gosh yes it is quiet, easy to keep up for once!

Relay was quite amusing...... my worst fear came true and I got lost!!!! Luckily quite near the end and I bumped into some people who directed me to the end, meaning I approached the finish line from totally the other direction, much to the amusement of everybody standing there watching the last few finishers.... so I got 'DID NOT FINISH' written all over my name and my team was disqualified!! image image image Nobody cared though, they all just found it funny... we would have probably been last even if I hadn't got lost!

I could describe to you all HOW I got lost but it's frankly too embarassing and too stupid... I literally stood in the middle of the wood half way up a hill so steep I was on my hands and knees just screaming profanities like I've never heard myself say before once I realised I was lost (nobody was in earshot I was that far off the path!).

Getting excited about my 3 week holiday across America in only 4.5 weeks time - just borrowed some guidebooks from a client and suddenly seems very real and exciting.... image

18 days to go AH! What's your training looking like for the final 2.5 weeks? Have you strictly stuck to training in hours by the way? It seemed like you were training in distances for the swim and bike at least, or was it a mixture? I do want to quiz you ALL about it at some point.....image

• Options

Tutu - you make me laugh!  Sorry you got lost, but love the image of you coming in to finish from the wrong direction! Have literally just broken off from reading your post to see our replacement postman (who's a local club runner  who did the Welsh Castles - small world!) and he brought the monaco. Thanks so much. Must send you some dosh!

Re training up to Roth, I've got to keep the frequency going, and up the intensity a bit which I'm not massively looking forward to.  So I've got

• one more semi-long bike this w/e which will be about 3 hours/50 miles but I'll try to do it a bit faster than IM pace.Toying with the idea of the short version of one last sportive on Sunday... but it starts in Reigate which is quite a long way away.
    • 4 or 5 more 45 or 60 min runs, most of which have some element of effort in them - tempo or long intervals
    • I'll prob do two or three more OW swims but no more full distance ones. Might do one more longish one on Saturday - about 3000m.  Might do it without a wetsuit just in case it's a non-wetsuit swim.
    • a few more bikes - mostly only an hour or so long, but quite fast.
    • In the last week it'll be hard with a couple of days' driving but can run etc I suppose to stretch the legs when we stop overnight. Also will swim in the race canal on the Fri am when they stop the shipping for an hour to make it safe image.  Will also go out for a short bike ride of some sort on the Thursday to make sure it's all happy after its journey.
    • Don't care what anyone says - will have the rest of the Friday and all of the Saturday off.
    Have done most of it to time other than the swim which is easier to measure in distances, especially OW when it's in 750 or 400m loops. Have done most bike rides to time except on sportives... but then I've done a lot of sportives!