Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Rosie

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Oscarr, SB and Craig, next target is under 3:28. Dream under 3:25. Am going to keep up with Sam's approach though and all Ruth's advice - am converted.. image
  • Options
    Great time Rosie and you ran a marathon in Paris 7 days ago! - not sure how you did it. I hope you get a bit of rest and forge on for a sub 3.28 time in Edinburgh!
  • Options
    Thanks Colin image

Looking forward to hearing how everyone else got on..
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    I've got to go back to work now image cry for me...
  • Options
    Great stuff FH and Rosie, fantastic times both of you and glad weather held for you. Loved watching on tv, especially the elite athletes loping along sub 5 min miles...wow!

How was the atmosphere on the course? Last did London in 2002 but watching brings it all flooding back....
  • Options
    Well done both, I spectated yesterday and watching the fast guys and girls hammer past was incredible. I ran London last year and didn't enjoy it as I find it too busy, but supporting with the Runners World crowd at mile 17 was excellent.
  • Options

Atmosphere was amazing WW, it felt to me that the spectator turnout was even bigger and louder than the last few years, but I think that might be because the last two years I was really pushing wheras yesterday was just trying to enjoy it so noticed them more. Thanks for supporting KateF. Spectators are definitely a big part of what makes London so amazing to run. The course wasreally busy again though. I didn't really get any space the whole way through, even mile 26 I was stuck behind people and had to weave to get past.

How are you feeling today FH? Hope you got chance to celebrate yesterday!

• Options

Bows down in Respect to Rosie and FH, well done guys, can I borrow your legs this week please. Managed to do 43 miles last week highest mileage yet this year and the same to do this week, the old body feeling knackered, slept for 10 hours Saturday night after the long run.

Love to do London again but getting in is a killer. Do you get in on time Rosie?  Roll on Edingburgh.image Still raining here, had enough now!!!

• Options

mcs, the whole knackered thing for me was fixed by getting the recovery right after long runs... bottle of chocolate milk within 2-5 minutes works wonders (yazoo is fine, available corner shops and in offers regularly), loads of water to drink possibly with a zero tablet for salt.

Then whatever food works for you...., for me, porridge with fruit and then poached egg on toast. and more water.

Late comer to the thread, what is the Sam approach/ tactic  for running a marathon ? negative split?

Noticed of 12-13 people I followed online, only 2 managed a negative split... that includes even a sub 2:50 runner from club who did +7 minutes on 2nd half. Very suprised.

Got the South Cheshire 20 miler on Sunday as last big long run before Edinburgh.

• Options
    Stupendous run FH!!! Well done again Rosie, you're a phenomenon.

I did 4:06:53, was not delighted but happy enough now. The weather was fab, had the same experience on the Embankment later as you Rosie, getting soaked watching!

Sorry I didn't spot you at the start.
  • Options

+1 on the chocolate milkshake, but I prefer a Frijj. Rosie, any tips from last week, I've got a marathon 2 weeks away, followed up with 33 miles 6 days after. My recovery from Brighton hasn't been brilliant, but I put that down to 3 hours driving the day after, which I'm sure isn't in the plan.

• Options

Well Done Rekirabbit, FH and Rosie. Great effort and glad the weather was good..... whilst you were running anyway.

I was jealous watching the marathon on the tele. Hopefully will get a place this year. if not through the ballot then hopefully through my club. 

Have you caught up on any of the footage Mary Keitany and Wilson Kipsang were amazing. Was gutted for Lee Merrien though. He really gave it his best and just missed out on Olympic Qualifying time.

I thought Kipsang was going to break the world record but fell off the pace a little at 20miles. 

The pace in both races was brutal. 

• Options
    Just watching the full version now, watched the highlights twice last night!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Rosie - nice to meet up with you briefly yesterday morning.  Well done on another great run - that's a very good time just a week after Paris!  What will be your aim for Edinburgh?

Funny Hat - well done to you too and everyone else.

I ended up with an 8 minute pb finishing in 3:20 so very happy! image

• Options
    Great time Minni congrats to you.
    FRC agree on the poached egg on toast yum, not a big fan of milkshakes must say, tried the Goodness things not that fussed to be honest, will try glass of milk next week though. We have a farm opposite with a dairy you just go in leave your money on the stone step and take a pint in a glass bottle from the fridge and return washed later. Old fashioned but it still happens in our village.
    Time to get ready to run seven steady to work, happy Tuesday, hope the recovery is going well.
  • Options

Whoop whoop Minni!! imageimage

• Options

Well done reikirabbit!!

Fantastic PB Minni! 8mins off! Was it VLM last year you got your PB at? That's an amazing difference at that pace.

Hope you're both recovering ok and have got some celebration in image 

• Options
    Well done reikirabbit and minni !! Minni you are flying, really good PB.

Rosie, great running. all the very best for your next couple of marathons.

So my splits .....

1 - 8.29

2 - 7.52

3 - 7.29

4 - 7.34

5 - 7.45

6 - 7.52

7 - 7.58

8 - 7.47

9 - 7.56

10 - 7.59

11 - 7.51

12 - 8.02

13 - 7.56

14 - 7.56

15 - 7.56

16 - 7.30

17 - 8.24

18 - 8.12

19 - 9.11

20 - 9.09

21 - 9.52

22 - 10.04

23 - 9.36

24 - 1.38 (tunnel)

25 - 14.28

26 - 9.06

27 - 6.46

So on reflection... I went off a bit too fast, I didn't drink enough for the conditions and was really dehydrated towards the end and felt really ill. My pace was good between 6 and 15 miles with 3 miles (13,14 and 15) all at 7.56 pace. Mile 25 was where I lost the plot, just wanted water and a pizza!

Now I have had time to reflect I should of gone for 8.05 to 8.10 pace for the first 15 - 20 miles and then gone closer to 8.00 pace for the last 10k. The heat really got to me, my fault though as I just didn't drink enough early on in the race.

Will now keep my focus and build towards a new PB at New York later this year.

Thanks once again for your support and kind words.

FH
  • Options
    Very very interesting FH, many thanks for this [haven't dared look at mine!]

Surely Mile 25 is a [revision of] 24+25/2?

It does look like a classic positive split though.

How much did you drink?
  • Options
    Looks like my styleee there FH, too fast at the start, easy to do, I do it every time I go out to race. Lesson learnt from this spring training session.............well done for getting there and round!! Enjoy NY lucky man, do you need anyone to carry your bags??image
  • Options
    FH - well done  - they say in sport that you learn more when things don't go to plan and i reckon you learned a lot from that race which can easily be put right for the next one so be positive (which i think you are) and plan for NY
  • Options
    This was a very good +'ve split, not the worst on the day though !!

I drank about 500 mils before the race, thats was over 4 and a bit hours from getting up in the morning. During the race I would say 750-1000 mils, I had 1 gel before the start and 5 during.

I think the heat made my fast start worse towards the end, but as Oscarr said, lessons have been learnt and I move on strong in the knowledge I will get better.

FH
  • Options
    FH - good for you
  • Options
    Must confess on Saturdays 3 hour jaunt I didnt drink enough only 330mls as only carried one bottle. Must do better, need to hide some bottles for Friday nights long one as busy this weekend. Not looking forward to that much, anyone fancy coming over??
  • Options

mcs - for long runs when i need more than 500ml fluid (that's my bottle capacity) i also carry another 500 ml in a used plastic drinks bottle, use this one first then throw it in a bin during the run - another option i used abroad when you needed a lot of water was to park the car at a pinch point and do 3 loops returning back to the car after each one, carried my keys and it only takes a few seconds to open the car and exchange empty for full bottle

easy 9 miler for me this weekend as only a week after that to my race.......................!!!!!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Rosie A wrote (see)

Fantastic PB Minni! 8mins off! Was it VLM last year you got your PB at? That's an amazing difference at that pace.

Yes Rosie, 3:28 was VLM last year.  This one was the toughest I've ever run and took a lot of mental focus.  It made me realise how in the past I've always kept within my comfort zone.  I'm sure you can relate to that? 
  • Options

Absolutely Minni! Can relate very much to running in a comfort zone. 8 mins in a year is fab! Well done!

One of the things Sam said to me that was really helpful was about not backing off when it gets unconfortable or I started breathing harder in a race. Sunday was definitely me in comfort zone, but was really surprised by my time as last year's races were that pace when I was trying hard, those I did comfortably were nearer 3:45-3:55, so it's highlighted that the rest and speedwork etc have made a difference as well as the pacing. Do you have another target now or focussing on recovery for a bit?

FH, that split looks a lot like me last year. To get a 20min PB when you've gone out too fast suggests as you say that NY could be even better. How are you feeling this week?

mcs - on long runs I've done a similar thing to oscarr with laps and drinks in the car or at the front door of my flat, I find it easier than stopping to buy stuff or the preplanning required to stash on route

• Options
    Hi Rosie, feel ok, better than I thought once I had finished ! quads are a bit sore but I should be OK to go for a light run this weekend and see how the legs feel after that. Got the Lake Land Trails marathon 1st July, so need to get back to training as soon as I can.

FH
  • Options

Hi all, so is Edinburgh the next marathon for people on here?  A couple of my friends are doing that, is it a good route - any tips to pass on to them?

As for me, feel a bit of a fraud still on here.  Esepcially as you all seem to do several marathons a year.  That's it for me for marathoning this year!  My next 'races' are a 10k through bluebell woods on bank hol monday (def destined to be a relaxed one!) and possibly the local half which is in June.  Can't decide on that one though as I've done it so many times and am pretty bored of the route (is hilly, tough and normally hot!).  However, sort of have to do it because it's 'there' and I can't bear seeing people walking to start and not participating!

Had a bit of a sore foot this week - sole of heel.  Did some googling and had convinced myself it was the start of something dreadful like plantar fascitis but been to see physio today and she thinks it's minor.  Taking it easy this week though mainly swimming and cycling just in case....

Thinking of entering the Grizzly in Devon next March as a 'different' challenge.  Anyone done that?