Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• Options

Hello Emma, I hope you and your family feel better soon.

Ruth, thank you for the fish oil information.

• Options

Emma, been thinking of you having to do your long run in this dreadful weather! Hope it goes OK and you are now/soon home, eating and getting warm and dry.  It was great to catch up yesterday and think you seem much more positive and confident, which is really good. Hope your chat with Victor helped!

I was out this morning doing a scallop race (in which you wheel a barrow full of sand and scallop shells about 1km, in a team) in Rye, which was great fun. We came second as our 4th team member battled it out with the rugby team to cross the line.

So here is what next week's training looks like. Fine to swap Tues and Thurs if best to do Tue session on track. Emma says she's gone a bit off track with the strength training and resolves to get back to it this week, as well as a greater focus on stretching. But great that she's had no niggles thus far:

Week Eleven w/c 5/3/12 approx 34MMon Rest + strength trainingTue 1M jog, then 4 x acceleration strides then 200m (1 min) 400m (2 mins) 800m (4 mins) at Mile/5k pace with equal jog recovery. 5 mins easy then go back down the pyramid. 2M jogWed RestThu 1M jog, then 2M at half marathon pace (8.55 ish), 2M 10k pace then 2M jogFri 5 M easy + strength trainingSat 16M – first 10 @ 10.15-10.30, final 6 at MP Sun Rest
  • Options

Emma - hope you weekend has gone well and you and your family are feeling better?

I did manage the Llanelli HM, walked a bit during the last few miles, weather was cold and very windy! Finished in about 2hrs 25. Not great but given the lurgy and general lack of quality training, pleased to have finished.

• Options

Hi all!

I'm back!  Was a true pleasure to see the gang in Birmingham on Saturday. Haven't quite caught up with all the posts I've missed over the last few days but what I can tell you is that Emma was looking her usual stunning self on Saturday and running very comfortably by the looks of things.  Can't believe how comfortably given all that's she's been through - GO Girl!

My race was a disaster today - weather wise, course wise and pacing wise - the whole field was sent off course by the lack of marshall / sign at the first turning place (which was impossible to guess unless you knew the area).  Felt really demotivated too and completely eased off  but kept going and got to run in some nice mud and up and down some BIG hill so gonna look on the bright side and leave it at that! 

Will catch up on all posts this week  - well done everyone who braved the yakky weather today image

• Options

Emma, great to catch up yesterday and so sorry about your extended trip home!

Just to let all know what Emma and I discussed yesterday!

Emma has changed her diet in a really positive way, no chocolate, sugar etc and now lots of seeds and nuts although we did discuss portions and decided that a level tablespoon instead of a dessert spoonful of seeds etc would be enough at breakfast. We also discussed a simple fluid stategy: each morning Emma has to put 750ml of water on her desk where she can see it and reach it and try and finish this by end of lunch. At lunch to refill this and aim to get through this again by 4ish.

The reason for this is lack of fluid during the day and dehydration can affect immunity. If you have a dry mouth you have little saliva and saliva brings with it protein with antibacteria properties so if you have a dry mouth all the time you do not have this first line of defence. The second area of immunity we discussed was taking a vitamin D supplement (25ug) just until we get some sun in April! I also suggested she continue her vitamin C (although the 1000mg dose Emma is taking is not necessary and even half of this is a lot), continue with echineca, and even take a probiotic tablet- I don't think for the short term this do any harm and hopefully some benefit!

Doing great Emma!

• Options
    Oh my goodness.
    Hope that you are ok Emma and the boys.
    Sam great point about overtraining vs no time to recover. I can see that being knackered/constantly ill/looking after poorly children and still fitting in the training is going to take its toll.
    You are doing brilliantly Emma and I hope that all the household illnesses stop soon.
    Kevster
    Ps I have a confession

I am now enjoying early morning running. Never thought I would say that!
  • Options

Evening All ... an update before I turn in for the night. Just some washing to fold and hang up to dry, marking is finished though and school uniform organised. Glamour all the way for me!

Yesterday was a fabulous day! I left very early on Saturday morning and got to Birmingham in plenty of time. Poor hubby wasn't home until 8pm on Friday evening and the boys were still poorly on Friday so it was the only sensible option ...poor little things!image

I had porridge at 6am before I left and took a thermos of coffee, some pretoasted rye bread and peanut butter to have when I got to the University. Last time I'd eaten first thing and then we didn't start running till about half 11 or 12 - my stomach thought my throat had been cut!

First off I had a chat with Ruth about my diet (I've lost control a bit recently - eating good stuff but too much good stuf!) and she also explained the benefits of increasing hydration (see her earlier post). I am sure there are teachers across the land who work dehydrated like me to avoid going to the loo - they days are so frenetic.

Then I was interviewed by a lovely girl from RW - hopefully I burbled less than usual.

We had photos at 11am - most uncomfortable... praying that I look less like the FA cup in these piccis - wind and rain set my hair to frizz though!

The first training session was a warm up and then a 1 mile marathon paced run ... without our Garmins! I was too slow (10secs) on first try and 10 secs too fast on second try. I blame the speeding up on two dogs - once I had got passed them I had a rush of adrenaline and shot off a bit... can't help it.image

Back to the track for a 5k time trial - 400m@ 5k pace followed by 200 @ marathon x 8 with a fast 200 to finish. We were handicapped but everyone still whizzed past me!image Hare and the Tortoise Em!

Lunch - a gorgeous bean salad chosen for me - would never have chosen it for myself but it was scrummy - so a new lunch time choice when I can get to sainos to buy one - Thanks Stacey!

I had a chance to have a chat with Sam which was lovely - rather that only being able to 'chat' in a virtual way (we also managed to talk about new hair cuts, colour and the arrival and texture of grey hair!). I've emaied Sam the full version of my running log so there may be some more feedback. Gradually I am learning about when to run and when to rest... although I still feel guilty (perfectionist streak there). She is so kind and supportive that I really want to do well with my training and Paris for her as much as anyone else.

Sarah is a miracle worker - my back has been really stiff and she crunched me about a bit and the difference was huge! Thank you Sarah - however my journey home meant I did stiffen up a little.

Stacey from Asics was lovely and supportive and clearly working really hard and the folks from RW were doing a very good job of hearding us about to a tight schedule - we are not the most well behaved bunch!image

So a brilliant day and on the way home (I had plenty of time to think you see) I was really sad that I wouldn't be going up to Birmingham university again and there would be no more training camps - the time has gone so so quickly!image

• Options

So the journey back mmmm - I had a bit of a diaster! Having made it out of Birmingham without the Satnav on to the motorway I got complacent. I sat in the outside lane dreaming of being home at a decent time and completely missede the bit where you have to be in the left hand lane and come off the M40 to stay on it (odd but I hope you know what I mean) and merrily carried on in the right hand lane. So I eventually switched the satnav on and set it for home. I'd covered about 40 miles at this point and it was telling me that I still had 175 to do - which seemed odd as it had been 150 on the way up.

So I reset the satnav, and reset it again! It told me to turn around just as I sailed past the junction. Then I noticed the signs for south wales and Bristol! I was on the M5 not M40! I went right the way through gloucester and to the Wye valley/Forest of Dean before I could pick up the M4 and go through swindon, Honda etc! Back to London where I picked up the M25 75 miles later than I should have and then the A24 through to Sussex. What a plonker!

• Options

MWW well done for Llaneli - I was not far from Newport with my terrible sense of direction so I could have joined you! Stirling stuff!

Well done on the early morning runs Kevster - if you manage them it means you can feel smug all day and have that post run glow. Boys not 100% but getting there!

SB - thank you so so so so so so much for comming down to support. It was so lovely to see you and you appeared just at the right point when I was struggling THANK YOU! xxx

Today I ran 20.5 miles and by eck it was tough! The weather was about 2 degreees, windy and very wet... in fact the weather got steadily worse throughout the run. The first 8 were the longest 8 I have ever run. We stopped to wring out our gloves at a country park toilet and loitered in the doorway of the cafe slurping our gels and set off again. At about 11 miles my running partner had enough - she was cramping in her legs and has just moved house as in Friday and Saturday and was exhausted. I decided to carry on and managed another 5 1/2 freezing miles - via another friends house for a quick wee! My Garmin was running out of juice and I was worried that I'd get to 17 and it would conk out. Plus the fact that I was freezing and wary of getting another virus! So I decided to go home, get changed (I was literally soaked to the skin - not nice) and head to the gym to use the torture machine (tready).

So I managed a further 4 on the treadmill. Splits for run were...11.35, 10.54, 10.45, 10.45, 12.26, 11.14, 10.35, 10.30, 10.45, 11.43,  11.23, 10.54, 10.21, 9.43, 9.53, 10.09, 9.50, 9.40, 9.40, 9.30. Really chuffed that the last half was pretty much at marathon pace - suspect the 12 was due to road crossing or similar. People in cars were not very generous today and I got splashed a few times! Meanies!

My feet are totally mashed and I had to use a dry pair of trainers with soles like card board for the gym - luckily Stacey is sending me a new pair - in the nick of time I'd say. Craig was sporting some very glam new trainers in Birmingham so we were all quite envious!image

Right off to bed - happy running!

• Options

Epic journey Emma........ a friend(female) sorry couldn't help but put that in was coming up from Dover and went the wrong way round the M25 twice before her hubby woke up and said why aren't we home yet!!!! He was not happy....... Even more epic long run emma well done, it was not pleasant yesterday. I did an eight miler in torrential rain but found some tunnels on the trail which kept me a bit dry but by the time I got home I had to strip off at the door. 

Great point about drinking plenty, I have a milk plastic carton on my desk with a ltr of water in and drink it most days.......I rarely get colds........image

Happy new week to all and enjoy the lighter am and pms.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Well done on the long run Emma - the conditions were foul, so good idea to finish on the treadmill.

You're brave writing the report of your journey home image I had to laugh - sorry. As Homer Simpson would say - it's funny because it isn't me.

Having said that, I find that sat-navs are happy to take routes that will add an forty miles to a journey in any case. Ten miles of which will be down single track lanes through farmland.
  • Options

I know, I know - I had a totally blonde moment!

I was really proud of myself for not getting stressed - a few months ago I would have been in tears of frustration but I was a bit more relaxed about it and anyway so many people have been giggling about it that maybe it was worth it!image

• Options

hee hee - it's so easy to miss junctions - we've all done it at some point! 

Interesting motivation to drink more - consider me kicked up the butt! 

Just entered my marathon for September!  No wimping now for me - after all you've been through you're still cracking on with your training so I have absolutely no excuse.  I don't even care if I'm last - I just need to do another one and stop talking myself out of it!  See - you're inspiring us without even realising it!

• Options

Emma - love your relaxed demeanour nowadays, even in the face of a 'blondie moment' - if i see you at Dunsfold do remind me to tell you my favourite blondie joke about an airline trip!!

That's a great reminder about drinking more water and will have to organise myself a bit more to achievd this - certainly drank more that 1.5 litres of fluid last night after the half race but it wasn't water, something called amber nectar!!

Glad you and the gang had a good day at Brum - your post (about sad to not be returning to Brum uni) did make me think about the need for you and the other 4 to think about tactics to deal with a big whole appearing in your life after April 15th.

Sleepy - good to see you back - how did Ben get on in his race at the weekend?

• Options
    Hi Emma
    Well done on that long run - the 'getting changed to finish off on the treadmill' another display of your dedication! Would have felt tough to do that run the day after the training day and associated travel (!) so especially well done.

I am strength training tonight - did you get yours done today?
  • Options

Emma - well done on the 20 yesterday and sounds a good day on Saturday too.  I know exactly what you mean about the M42/M40 interchange, it is very counter-intuitive.

I must try that water trick of Ruth's - NHS staff are really bad about drinking too

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with my training.  Having mostly recovered from the damaged  toe I was just rebuilding mileage with a rejigged long run plan and my MiL had a stroke.  Now fitting running around added trips up the M40.

• Options
    Sam a rather pathetic attempt at my strength exercises this evening - started at ten after food shopping order, making casserole for tomorrow, putting boys to bed, sorting Jonathan's clothes for party tomorrow, wrapping preasent, cooking my dinner and being sympathetic to my hubby who is now also sick.

Assuming I am not sick as well tomorrow I will do the exercises again after my run tomorrow.
  • Options

Hey oscarr! 

Ben ran pretty well on Saturday - in their strange world going out and racing against uni students half their age (and doing 2 laps instead of 1) is apparently 'fun!' It went something like this - Ben had two numbers pinned to his top, one under the other.  He ran his first 3k lap as the 'A' team and came in second.  Ripped the top number off and 40 seconds later set off and ran his second lap as the 'B' team and gained 4 or so places.Think the A team finished 3rd by the end but not sure. 

Sunday was a disaster for him as well as the rest of us - he ended up going back out marshaling the second half of the field across quite a busy road at the first/last crossing point as the 'bought in traffic management company' seemed to have vanished. They weren't there at the start of the race either so everyone missed the first turn off and ran a made up course!  It seems some ran 9k, some ran 11k and there were still 4 people lost in the woods after 1h 45 mins. Let me assure you a marshaling bib and shorts is neither a good look nor particularly suitable cold/wet weather wear!

I have 'cardboard neck' today which may or may not be the start of something or just my body sulking as it doesn't like being cold and wet - echinacea, honey, OJ and first defence all being deployed! 

USB - thoughts are with you and yours - hope your MiL makes a good recovery *big hug*

It's Tuesday - so must be sandwich day in Emma world? 5 minute efforts for me later if I shake this throaty thing.

• Options

You sound like a great juggler to me Emma........Keep juggling great committment to the cause.......doing us sub 4.30 group proud well done.image

The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.

• Options
    well done on the 20, Emma, amazing effort especialy given the weather and after Saturday too. Hope the trainers arrive soon!
  • Options

Yep, SB, it's sandwich day for Emma and this time, it's a double decker image With 2 miles half mara pace and 2 miles at 10k pace as the tasty fillings. (That's assuming Em does her speed session on Thursdays as she normally does - it's the other way round on the official plan).

I am not going to be running for a while it seems. I have a hip impingement problem. It's felt for a while as if my leg is getting 'sucked up' into the hip socket, and turns out... it is! Too tight muscles in some paces and other ones not doing their job - usual story. But doesn't make it any easier to swallow. This is only my third injury in 22 years of running but each time, they've been monstersimage Lucky I can enjoy my running vicariously through Emma, Rosie, Craig and my other coaching clients for the moment...

• Options

Oh no Sam - am really sorry to hear you're broken - really hope you have a smooth ride down the road to recovery.  Time to write another book? Could really do with one on trail running / cross country on my shelf.  I'll never be a speedy road snake but I do seem to do ok when it comes to bombing through mud.

I actually feel better for going for my run  though I confess to a cold/flu tablet before I went so not sure whether it was the run or the tablet that helped! Where do you stand on taking pain killers before/during marathons Sam?  I remember reading (and following) some top runner's advice published in a certain magazine to take 2 ibuprofen before and 2 half way round.  I can understand some concern that it might mask some pain that you should know about but by the same token the anti-inflammatory help has to be a bonus in the later stages/afterwards???

Happy bunny here - looks like I hung on to my third lady in our club winter points comp - after the fiasco of the weekend everyone who took part got the same points.  I very, very rarely get placings so I'm over the moon! image

• Options

Sam - really sorry to hear about your injury but ib all cases there is a silver lining to look for and, as SB mentions, it gives time for other things

SB - congrats on the winter placing, i know it means a lot

• Options

Well done SB - Third place ... podium no less! Very impressed indeed.image

Sam - nooooo - how frustrating! I hope you get better really, really quickly. I'll try and do even better for you!

I had decided that the session was a special sandwich that I was going to call 'club sandwich' session - both Sam and my versions are about food (or did she mean a bus?). Anyway 2 @ half marathon pace (8:48, 8:50) and two @ 10k (8:05, 8:01). Legs were pretty tired after the weekend - really felt it in the hammies.

Woefully rubbish at my strength and stretches - tomorrow I promise!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Sam - sorry to see you have been injured image I hope the recovery time isn't too long.

SB - congratulations on the 3rd place!

Emma- I like the look of the session with two miles at different paces. Did you also do a warm-up and cool-down jog on either side?
  • Options
    Yes Tenjino - 1 mile before and two miles after. I needed the cool down after or I would have been walking like the tin man today!
  • Options

Thanks everyone for your good wishes and positive vibes!

Good session Emma, well-paced and must have been challenging after the weekend's exploits.

Great result, SB, well done! Regarding painkillers - I'd steer clear before/during a marathon to be honest. This is what I've written in my forthcoming book about it:

NSAIDs can help reduce inflammation and swelling and relieve pain – but many runners also use them to prevent muscle soreness, popping a couple of pills before heading out for a run, or race. Recent research suggests that this approach is ineffective at best and could even be dangerous.  For one thing, it could mean you’re simply taking NSAIDs too frequently. The maximum safe daily dose is 1200mg, to be taken in divided doses of 200-400mg (there is no demonstrable benefit of taking more than 400mg at a time in relieving pain or other symptoms). Excessive use (for example, taking the drug every day for a long period) can raise the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding or other stomach problems. It can also effect kidney function – there is some evidence to suggest a link between runners taking high levels of NSAIDs and hyponatraemia (a potentially dangerous condition in which the body retains too much water) as well as a number of reported cases of renal failure. The best way to avoid any potentially harmful side effects it to use NSAIDs only to treat, rather than prevent, muscle soreness and even then, to use them within the recommended guidelines for a limited period. Never use drugs to numb the pain of an injury and enable you to run.

• Options

Sam - I knew you'd have some good advice - I do worry about those folk who take them every day.  Last resort in our house, I promise!

Thanks for the congrats guys - I believe I get a certificate which I will proudly display on my almost bare side of the trophy shelf next to the 50p I was awarded last year for beating a young lad who'd been bragging all week that he was going to beat me!  Ben put some little metal frog statues on my side once to make me feel better - they're still there - they're the PB frogs! Gonna start buying myself a wee trinket for each memorable run me thinks - my very own trophies!

Hope your legs are feeling ok today Emma - mine are tired too if that helps - this for me is the psycho part of training - I know I'll feel better if I go for a run - just...have...to...get...out...of...the...door! Think I'd rather organise cupboards for packing today tbh - slap my wrist - getting off butt now (sore throat much eased by a good night's sleep and a husband that didn't get up at 4.45!) Well done on the 10k sesh - it always seems so much easier on race day to run a bit faster doesn't it?

• Options

Morning Emma

Could you please just nip round and wrap some presents for me - I have 3 kiddie's birthdays coming up and their presents are a nightmare.

U doing your accelerateys today?  image  Did you get some new trainers too?

• Options

Sam hope that you get fixed soon.

Good bit about NSAIDS. I would also add that as you are relatively dehydrated in the marathon who knows what that does to doses, metabolism etc

Keep going Emma. 3 members of family in our house ill all week. Know how you feel now!