Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• Options
    Great result and very inspirational as I hope to crack the sub hours in a couple of weeks - will keep your tactics in my mind ;0)
  • Options
    Great report Emma, really enjoyed reading it as it was a really gutsy performance. So pleased you got under 2 hours as that can be more of a mental triumph as well as physical. Should give you loads of confidence now which I hope you can use for Pairs - the training is working! image
  • Options

Emma - its a real pleasure to help you and the others and gives me a great deal of satisfaction to see you doing so well - great to see all the others like sleepy and mcs helping you all as well with their own points - and most of all, its you who are doing the hard work so take a bow - only 7 weeks to go now!!!  The real credit, however, should go to Sam who has been guiding you so well.

• Options
    Emma - well done ...a fantastic time. I couldn't manage that even fully fit and well!
  • Options
    Hurrah! Have just managed to get on forum on phone.
    Rest assured, everyone, I have already been in touch with Emma today by email so have congratulated her on her great result and marvelled at her dedication for going out to run the 2 miles w-up/c-down that she missed earlier!
    Some other great runs achieved this weekend - you all take the long runs in your stride so well... Keep up the good work.
    I am sneaking off to a spa for 1 night tomorrow - so looking fwd to it. Did yet another workshop this weekend so feeling in need of a couple of days off!

• Options
    I didn't think I could either- you never know MWW!
  • Options

Great running Emma image  Keep up the good work.  Perhaps you could try teaching from inside a plastic bubble image

Although i work with pre-school children I seem to dodge the bugs (famous last words) but that might be because the children only come for 2 days each.

Good news here is that I am managing to run on the toe with little discomfort and got 10 miles done today after a couple of missed long runs

• Options
    CONGRATULATIONS AWESOME......told you so!!!!!! WEll done Emma briliant........wow........fffantttttasttttiicccccc and all that high fives etc. bring on the big one!!!! ENjoy the glow and the rest tomorrow.
  • Options

WHOOOOP WHOOOP WHOOOOOOOOOOOP

I'm so proud of you that am a bit teary myself after reading the last day's posts. Brilliant! Go girl! Love the mini-race-within-race breakdown - fantastic idea to make it less daunting!

Massive virtual hugs and a bit of delighted girly squealing! imageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options
    Hi Emma, just popping in to see how you got on at TWells and see that you stormed it even though you've been unwell! That's a fab time for that course - Spring HIll isn't as bad as people make out if you treat it with respect but it's the other hills all added together that tire you. I was quite happy to have l knocked 2 minutes off my time for last year and I used it as an opportunity to practice my MP in the 2nd half. I am so pleased that you cracked the 2 hour mark, especially on that course, and you will definitely get your sub 4:30 this year. Very well done xxx
  • Options
    Well done Emma. Great determination and a fantastic tick list.
    Easy to get up in all of this but it is supposed to be fun
    Cant believe that you went back out to do 2 extra miles!
    Question for Sam really, could Emma be overtraining which is making her susceptible to all of these viruses? Could she drop midweek slow run session??
  • Options
    I had a great sporty weekend.
    Saturday ran a parkrun for the first time. My 9 year old daughter did it with me and ran all the way. She sprinted the last bit and beat me by 10 seconds. Very happy little girl.
    Sunday I did a home-made progression run. Ran 7 miles slowly to the start of a 10km race, did the first half of the race at MP then the second half at Half marathon pace. Went really well and surprised how comfortable the MP bit felt after a 7 mile warm up.
    Then ate lots!
  • Options
    Thank you everyone - I will endeavour to listen to you rather than the doubts in my mind in the future! image
  • Options
    How is the smile today and have you got the medal on still?????image
  • Options

Particularly liking the last part of your weekend Kevster! image

Yeah you do that young missy Emma C - conqueror of the TW Half! Onwards and upwards for you now...

What are you up to today - any strength work on the horizon?  My pose of the week is upward facing dog at which I am definitely 100% better than last week's downward facing disaster! Think I've already grown a couple of inches in height - loving doing a complementary activity to add a bit more variety into my training!  Only time will tell if it helps I guess!

mcs - bet you a quid she has! image

• Options
    Great result Emma! The hard slog is clearly paying off. Bask in your sub-2 glory for a few more days, I say!
  • Options
    mcs wrote (see)
    How is the smile today and have you got the medal on still?????image

mcs - the medal was a huge square thing. Very different to last couple of years!

I am still smiling - cough worse but it would be after that - really chuffed and still a bit in shock!image

• Options
    Hello Emma, I have been following your thread with interest. Congratulations on your race time yesterday, it's fantastic! Then you add in the fact you weren't feeling well and it's even better!!

I have a question for Ruth regarding a post some pages ago (been a bit nervous about posting)

"You are right you can get the good oils from green leafy veg, nuts and seeds and their oils but  this is a round about way as the body has to change these fatty acids to ones called DHA (docosahexanoic  acid - spelling??) and EPA (eicosapentaenic acid) as it is these that the benefits come from and  DHA & EPA is found in oily fish in direct form. If using supplements sick to the amount you woud get in 2-4 portions of oiy fish (450-900mg of EPA/DHA). Hope this helps. "

If you seriously can't stand fish and would rather eat food than pills, how many nuts or leafy vegetables are there to a portion of oily fish to keep up the omega 3s?
  • Options

Today SB I have a nice gentle 4 miles planned and feel rather smug as I made a huge ratatouille on Saturday evening so no cooking tonight just pop itin the overn with my jacket potato and Bob's your Uncle! Oh ...not forgetting the lovely mature chedder grated all over the top - can't be too well behaved.

Been eating like a piggy all day today - so hungry after yeaterday ... but then I'm hungry most days!image

• Options
    Melbec wrote (see)
    Great result and very inspirational as I hope to crack the sub hours in a couple of weeks - will keep your tactics in my mind ;0)

Fab Melbec - where are you running? If I can o it so can you! image

Welcome slowcoach - don't be frightened to post - but I have to warn you I am slightly neurotic so you will have to put up with all my external processing of all my worries!

Thanks Abi - how are things with you?

• Options

Emma - you've no worries about the future now just positivity and an enjoyable finale to this amazing experience

Slow coach - don't be nervous, we are all learning from these threads so post away!

• Options

Cheese, cheese, glorious cheese - enjoy your reward-cheese - I'm sure it's in the rules that you get a reward for a good run!

Hey Slow Coach - good question - I did wonder the same myself but I'm lazy and happy to take a capsule when it comes to squeezed fish!  I suspect a small mountain of kale might be the answer but I'm sure Ruth'll be along to educate us soon enough (p.s.  this is a friendly thread - no meanies would be tolerated so welcome and worry not!). 

On the subject of fish oil I was a bit freaked out by the recommendation in this month's RW (page 85) to take 3000mg daily vs Ruth's 450-900mg - is this one of those optimum health vs RDA conundrums or just a typo? It's no wonder I get confused!  image

• Options
    ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh cheese love it my fav food, feeling peckish must dash home slowly as supposed to be resting today but no lift home so jogging slowly honest........then a speed session tomorrow, thinks I must get a few hills in on my slow run on Weds with a hilly Coniston route to do at the end of March. Nice piccies on their website to look at round the lake.
  • Options
    I love the idea of the Coniston 14 - My Hubby is 40 next year and thought we could combine a trip to the lakes and a race to celebrate! Isn't it on the Saturday so one can celebrate on the Saturday evening?image
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    I love cheese tooo!!!!! On toast, in potatos, on bread, on it's own, with wine, with crackers... You all making me hungry. image
  • Options
    EmmaC wrote (see)
    I love the idea of the Coniston 14 - My Hubby is 40 next year and thought we could combine a trip to the lakes and a race to celebrate! Isn't it on the Saturday so one can celebrate on the Saturday evening?image
    Emma - Snowdonia marathon is on a Saturday on October - fantastic race.
  • Options
    Emma - congratulations on the Half Marathon result!!! Great write-up of the race and pre-race too. So glad you made your target in spite of problems.
  • Options
    Ruth - apologies for the late reply, but thank you very much for the post about Cramp. Interesting... Seems like the real answer is more training to cope with the latter stages of the race. I won't bother with salt tablets.
  • Options
    Tenjiso - good to hear from you again - how's your training going/next race ??
  • Options

Oscarr - that sounds rather hilly! (Snowdonia!).

Thanks Tenjinso! How is your training going?