Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• Options

Friend I made on here from 2010 survivors always pops a pill before a race but its something I have never done, reckon its cheating really to take anything to mask effort required to overcome pain but only my opinion, better to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. Only my opinion though of course.

Congrats to SB on podium!!!!imageimage

• Options
    What a beautiful day - enjoy track tonight, Emma! Am going to have to come up with some more interesting cross training activities than the cross trainer at the gym - bor-INGGG! A fast walk with Sid on the cards this evening...
  • Options
    SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Thanks everyone for your good wishes and positive vibes!

Good session Emma, well-paced and must have been challenging after the weekend's exploits.

Great result, SB, well done! Regarding painkillers - I'd steer clear before/during a marathon to be honest. This is what I've written in my forthcoming book about it:

NSAIDs can help reduce inflammation and swelling and relieve pain – but many runners also use them to prevent muscle soreness, popping a couple of pills before heading out for a run, or race. Recent research suggests that this approach is ineffective at best and could even be dangerous.  For one thing, it could mean you’re simply taking NSAIDs too frequently. The maximum safe daily dose is 1200mg, to be taken in divided doses of 200-400mg (there is no demonstrable benefit of taking more than 400mg at a time in relieving pain or other symptoms). Excessive use (for example, taking the drug every day for a long period) can raise the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding or other stomach problems. It can also effect kidney function – there is some evidence to suggest a link between runners taking high levels of NSAIDs and hyponatraemia (a potentially dangerous condition in which the body retains too much water) as well as a number of reported cases of renal failure. The best way to avoid any potentially harmful side effects it to use NSAIDs only to treat, rather than prevent, muscle soreness and even then, to use them within the recommended guidelines for a limited period. Never use drugs to numb the pain of an injury and enable you to run.

I agree only use when you need, over the years I have seen these linked with stomach/GI distress in a few runners (this is also back up by written up case studies).
    Slow Coach 23 wrote (see)
    . "

If you seriously can't stand fish and would rather eat food than pills, how many nuts or leafy vegetables are there to a portion of oily fish to keep up the omega 3s?

I said I would look into this and I can find little to back up as the evidence does appear to be better from the oil from fish but the recommendation is too include these seeds and oils and other plant foods most days. Here is a link and I agree with the levels; too much of anything without conclusive evidence is not what I would recommend. http://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/omega3.pdf

• Options

Eight miler to work this morning touch fast but a fantastic day here in Peak District, cool but ideal for running.................have a great weekend running, resting and eating Emma hope the family all better?

A balanced diet for me with something of everything is the best way forward I reckon. Where is that chocie I have been saving!!image

• Options

Hi Emma

Hope today's long run has gone well. (It's a shorter one today everyone 16M  but not easy – first 10 @ 10.15-10.30, final 6 at MP. Then it's a rest day on Sunday and on into next week which is week 12 - how exciting! Only four weeks to go... This is how week 12 looks for Emma - including the big one, at Surrey Spitfire on Sunday, which will be a great opportunity to nail the hydration/gels strategy for Paris:

Week Twelve w/c 12/3/12 approx 40MMon 4 M easy + strength trainingTue 1M jog, then 6 x 800m at 10K pace with 400m (or 2 min) jog recoveries, then 1M jogWed RestThu 1M jog, then 3M at Marathon pace then 1M jogFri 5 M easy + strength trainingSat RestSun Surrey Spitfire Race 20M – aim for 7 miles at 10.30, 7 at 10.10 6 at 9.45 pace
  • Options

Emma

Just to let you know I found a restaurant in Paris which does Italian food but also good ristotto's although this is France so no veggie options so will need to ask for it without fish (of want to) or meat etc . I will get menu to you soon so you can have a look and any issues with translation just ask (there will be  an English menu at restaurant but not online). So try and not worry about meal the night before at least you will know choices in advance. Just need to check with Stacey that she is happy with where iit is etc then will post and get all your views as can find somewhere else if does not suit all. Hope having a good weekend.

• Options
    Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

Hope your legs are feeling ok today Emma - mine are tired too if that helps - this for me is the psycho part of training - I know I'll feel better if I go for a run - just...have...to...get...out...of...the...door! Think I'd rather organise cupboards for packing today tbh - slap my wrist - getting off butt now (sore throat much eased by a good night's sleep and a husband that didn't get up at 4.45!) Well done on the 10k sesh - it always seems so much easier on race day to run a bit faster doesn't it?

I know the feeling - I've been so tired that its hard to get out there - but have done all the sessions ... just!

Would have willingly wrapped your presents - so love wrappig pressies!

What has this week had in store for you- when is the move?image

• Options

Evening All - sorry for not posting... completey mental week. Hubby now been allowed to move from the Z bed in the lounge. I've been sneezing but hopefully will be ok!

Did quite well with the water drinking for first few days but not so good towards the end of the week and had a blow out thai take-a-way tonight! Will do better tomorrow - all the flapjack has now been eaten (by me) so I can't eat anymore!

Did the 16 miles today - first 10 were not at target pace though (Sorryimage) ... in our defence not exactly a flat route and I had to hedge hop 3 times - need to make sure I'm not glugging water in the morning!

10:44, 10:44, 9:01, 11:02, 10:55, 11:02, 10:35, 10:52, 11:21, 10:38, 9:53, 9:34, 9:41, 9:24, 9:37, 9:33 - so the first were bit slow! But pleased with the last 6 which were at marathon pace (in fact a little faster). My legs were really tired - did 5.56 on Friday am @ 9:34 and Track on Thursday evening (200m @ ? forgot to start garmin!, 400m @ 1:54, 800m @ 3:48, 800m @ 3:53, 400m @ 1:47, 200m @ 0.44) - shorter session but pleased that mainateined pace for both 800m and sessions got slightly faster).image

I also didn't use any gels - just 3 shot blocks for entire run - really think this meant that I was particularly weary. Hoping that when I use gels on Sunday for Spitfire 20 that I will feel a bit better. Was so so tired for last four miles today (accumulation of Thursday and Friday?) but even when feeling bad managed to maintain the pace - hopefully the same will be true in Paris! Felt that having tired legs at the start was a bit more like the marathon experience - did actually find myself doing some of the last 4 miles with my eyes shut I was hurting so much! Ooops!image

• Options
    SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)
    Week Twelve w/c 12/3/12 approx 40MMon 4 M easy + strength trainingTue 1M jog, then 6 x 800m at 10K pace with 400m (or 2 min) jog recoveries, then 1M jogWed RestThu 1M jog, then 3M at Marathon pace then 1M jogFri 5 M easy + strength trainingSat RestSun Surrey Spitfire Race 20M – aim for 7 miles at 10.30, 7 at 10.10 6 at 9.45 pace

Sam - how would it be if I swapped the Tuesday and Thursday session over - or would you rather I didn't do speed training that near to Spitfire? Actually will dot he 800m on the road - it's only 1/2 mile and can sort that on my garmin easily enough.

At the Spitfire - I will try the gels as per my plan for Paris - probably aim for about 3? 5, 10 and 15? Also thought it would be good to try the carb loading like I did for the TW half.

Looking forward to trying to run to a more exact pace - will take my headphones in case I need them. Weirdly the 9:45 pace makes me breath more heavily but my legs seemes ok apart from a few twinges! ITB is making itself felt - not really badly but thinking foam roller is a good plan. My sports massage lady from last year is now not availiabe so going to try and track down a female sports physio as I feel more comfortable with a woman. Hopefull this will iron out my slight niggles.

Anyone else running the Spitfire at my pace?

• Options
    Ruth - thanks for the research! It's not just that meal - will have to make sure about food for the carb loading that day too? Or do I try and carb load earlier - ie for a few days?
  • Options

Morning all

Emma - well done on the 16 miles, doesn't sound slow to me! Hope you have a good rest day today.

Sam - sorry to hear about your injury, I hope it resolves quickly.

I did 20 miles yesterday morning. I did have to walk a bit, did the 20 in 4 hours. I am never going to be speedy!

• Options

Morning Early bird! We were meant to be doing 10:15 - 10:30 - but the route wasn't flat so running more to effort. Last 6 miles were backin Town therefore much flatter which makes life a bit easier.

MWW - that is FAB - U - LOUSimage (as Craig Revelhorwood would say!). DId you manage that on you own - if so you are a heo inmy eyes. I am pathetic when faced with running on my own - largely because I am frightened of the dogs that I may encounter if doing a longer run that means I get out in to the coutryside. Remind me - which marathpon are you aiming for?

Think I may be taking the boys out for a bike ride  - hopefully that will help with the stiff legs! Then I have some A2 papers to mark, lessons to prepare, uniform to iron .... you know the drill!image

For Mothers day I shall be running 20 miles! All I want when I get back will be cups of tea on tap.image

Has anyone seen the video - not too horrendous except for a roll of flab bouncing about when I am filmed running ... and I've lost a few pounds too! Gutted that I still have a clearly visible muffin top! Slightly aware that I am the child in the class who looks like they are not paying attention ... I was listening very carefully to Steve and did exactly as I was told honest!image

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Emma - that "clearly visible" muffin top is clearly visible to nobody but you. Well done on the 16 mile run.

MWW - well done for running twenty miles, and more importantly for spending four hours on your feet!
  • Options

Hi Emma, Well done on the 16 miler. Keep going! Only another couple of long runs before the heavenly taper! You're doing great. Would suggest if possible to avoid doing the speed work on the THursday prior to Surrey Spitfire - will take a lot out your legs. If you have to do that, take a rain check on the Friday run (see how you feel).

I did 24 miles on the bike this morning - which strangely doesn't aggravate hip except on steep ascents when pulling up on the pedals. Was a reasonably adequate substitute for running, given the sunshine, but not quite the same as I'm sure you all appreciate!

Great run MWW - 20 miles is 20 miles regardless of pace. And it's the effort that is the thing, not the pace - it's all relativeimage

• Options

Phew thanks Sam - I was really worried that you would be disappointed by the pace - it wasn't v hilly (in Sussex after all and not near the downs) but definately undulating. Pleased with the pick up at the end although I was EXHAUSTED! Think I will take gels at Spitfire and carb load too! Think it makes a massive difference.

Been getting worried about post marathon blues - so been looking for a sprin tri... not quite sure how I would juggle all the training though! I would be sad to lose running ability/focus too. Maybe for the summer? Even though the marathon training has been really tough (winter always is) I love the focus and discipline that it gives me and can't believe its nearly over. I hate to think this would be my last marathon so I may have to upeset a few people.... and apply for another!

I nipped out for a sneaky 4 just now (in case work is so horrendous tomorrow that I can't manage to get out) and with a bit of luck will also do the 4 tomorrow! But milage for this week until today was about 32, in week 1 I ran 29 miles - why did I feel so much more tired this week than week one? Is it simply cumulative effect or because I am actually running harder sessions - I was worried that my body couldn't cope.

Need to find a sports ohysio for my ITB which is not niggling yet but will do if I don't sort it and my calfs are rock hard at the moment.

• Options
    Sam just re- read your post - 24 miles ... that's nto exactly resting is it?!
  • Options

Hear Hear Ten -  Emma take a good look in the mirror chick - I think you might need glasses.  You are looking great! It's just that running footage/photos is never that flattering.  I just seen some recent photos of me and I look huge but I weigh 8½ stone so guess what - logic outweighs the camera!

I think it must be cumulative Emma - I'm shattered too - not long til taper-time though - whoop whoop.

Had a thought yesterday which I'd like to share: isn't it funny how we put so much emphasis on a one day race and yet forget to congratulate ourselves on the previous16 weeks of achievement?  Surely a 16 week effort is just as much as an achievement as one that lasts a day.  So all in all - come Paris - you should get 2 pats on the back: 1) for completing the training 2) for completing the race image

• Options

THank you SB - you are always so kind! Wish I weighed 8 1/2 stone .. I'd be a real racing snake then! image

I totally agree - the training is the really tough part - and we should celebrate getting through it. Weirdly I think I'm really going to miss the structure so will need to plan some other challenges. Not sure I'll be able to do it without Sam and you guys. I will feel so lonely!

• Options

Morning!

I wish LOL

Once you've done Paris - just keep your thread going for a bit - maybe we can all plan to meet up at another race later in the year - then we can start another thread to keep in touch and all train simultaneously for the same event. Doesn't even have to be a full mara - we could do something shorter...

• Options

That sounds brilliant thank you SB! We could meet for a half perhaps? x

• Options
    I'm game for that image
  • Options

A half a pint? I'm in. Oh woops, you mean a half marathonimage

There are some great triathlons in the sussex neck of the woods, Em! There's the Sussex Tri on weekend of 6/7 July, there's a series of them at Hever Castle and also there's Brighton and Bexhill. I'm definitely planning to get a few tris done this summer, injury pending. Gives me a bit more motivation to get out on the bike and in the pool too.

I am not resting because the hip just gets WORSE when I sit down or stay in one place. And it hasn't eased up even slightly without running so I don't think rest is going to help. Rehab, rehab!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I've decided I'm going to work on speed once the marathon is over (and I'm recovered!). I printed off the marathon talk one mile program and will work on shorter distances during the summer (5k and 10k), then work up to half-marathon again for the end of the year. I figure, faster times for shorter distances will mean a faster marathon longer term. So, that's how I'm planning to stay motivated.
  • Options
    Lakeland trails marathon 1st July plus either Kielder or Abingdon marathons in October for me.
  • Options

Sam - we could do both!!! image  I'll have to have mine in a beaker with a lid though or I'll spill it on the way round.

My suggestion would be a 10 mile/half on 12th August if anyone knows of one? Don't really mind where - I'm happy to have a weekend away. 

If all else fails there's no reason we can't just have a training thread with a view to meeting up whenever we can.  How sad am I - I've already got a pencil list of 2013!

Ten - like your thinking! image
  • Options
    Ooooh - or something on 15th July would also work for me!  I don't do swimming though -  EVER so no triathlons for me! image
  • Options

is this summer meet a girly thing or can anyone join in?

• Options
    of course not oscarr - everyone welcome - the more the merrier - was hoping you'd have something in mind for the run up to autumn ...image
  • Options
    thanks SB - not planned the summer yet other than got the key marathon race entries done to secure the places - will plan things in May time i think but happy to pencil any running into the calendar
  • Options

Great idea, Ten. I think you'll find it really pays off when you step up to distance again, too.

My cross training repertoire continues to expand - I did boxercise last night (slightly adapted to not include any shuttle runs or step ups). And managed 100 lengths at the pool today - never actually felt physically tired from swimming before now!