Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Comments

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I'm happy to have completed my session tonight in spite of the devil on my shoulder giving me reasons why I could slow down and take it easier in the reps.

After a mile jog, I did four times 1.25 miles at 10k pace (8:48 pace = 11 mins total) with 0.25 miles (3 minutes recovery), then another mile jog for eight miles in total. This was from the RW Garmin 4:30 marathon plan.

Feels good to know I can do this hot on the heels of the 20 mile run on Sunday.

I'm now going to eat a recovery vindaloo image
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Well, went out in kit and did the session. To be honest, I resented it and moaned about it, but glad I did it anyway. Not sure what the times were, but did complete 6 x800 fast with 2:30 recoverys plus mile each end.

Thanks Ten! Well done on the paces and getting it done properly. Got to be a great confidence boost to do that after Sunday's session. The recover is there, all falling into place *touches anti-illness/injury wood, twice*.

My sourdough bread and onion soup just don't match up your curry!!! Gutted.
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Hello,

Last night's splits:

1    9:59.2    1.01    9:52
    2    3:39.6    0.50    7:19
    3    2:30.0    0.25    10:07
    4    3:34.0    0.50    7:08
    5    2:30.0    0.24    10:13
    6    3:40.3    0.50    7:21
    7    2:30.0    0.25    10:09
    8    3:33.5    0.50    7:07
    9    2:30.0    0.25    9:58
    10    3:38.2    0.50    7:16
    11    2:30.0    0.24    10:24
    12    3:40.3    0.50    7:21
    13    2:30.0    0.25    10:06
    14    8:30.6    0.81    10:27

Felt OK overall, once I got myself out of the door and going. Going to take the small person to a Garden Centre now... Could be intereting.image

• Options
    It's the tough ones that help you on race day well done for getting out there.
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Good to see you made it out image

• Options

Hi Craig

That was an impressive turnaround from 'I'm not going out' to doing a full interval session. That's mental strength, that is! And good to hear that you feel the recovery coming along.

While I'm pleased you went out (sounds like the stress was mainly mental, not physical) it is during the taper that you really need to discern the difference between physica/mental fatigue and if it's physical, then rest is better than run.

Ten, that is some session! Especially on the back of the 20. Glad it had 3 minute recoveries. When you think about it, that's 5 miles at 10k pace which isn't far off actually running a 10k - so you need nice long recoveries to allow it to be doable and not totally exhausting. Could even up the recoveries to 4 mins I reckon.

I've got my hip scan on Friday, which is good news. And not as expensive as I'd fearedimage though I would rather have spent the dosh on something nicer! So will keep you all posted. Am back at yoga (since 6 weeks off it made no difference) - that felt good last night. And still knocking out the laps at the pool supplemented with cycling and cross-trainer at the gym. So just about holding on to sanity.

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    msc/ten: thanks guys. Needed to get out.

Hi Sam: think it was deffo mental. He's doing the same thing now and it's driving me mad! I just wanted to go to bed and shut the door on everything... Didn't want to sleep, just for it to be quite and calm. No screaming or thrashing about.... Felt better after finishing yesterday. Then I was properly tired, which I found much much better.

Good luck with the scan, glad its not silly expensive and gets you a potential cure ASAP. Hang on in there!
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Sam - I hadn't thought of it like that. LOL - *now* you tell me! I'm feeling pretty good and ready to go again. Today is just a short, easy recovery run. All being well, I'll run a longer run tomorrow (9 or 10 miles) at an easy pace.

Good luck with the hip scan. I bet you'll be glad to get back to the easy life of running, judging by your new cross-training regime!
  • Options

What a cracking day again.......just wandered to the postbox so lovely to feel the sun on the back. The trail is busy here with cars and vans pulling up with bikes loaded on the back outside our office.

All the best Sam hope you get a good result.

Craig stay sane. The taper is not good for sanity!!

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Folks, it's the first time I've looked after him while he's properly poorly. I don't know how OH copes with it.... Could do with a very long and strenuous run in the dark....
  • Options

Hi all - sounds like we're all feeling a bit low at the moment needing some inspiration - i had to do mile intervals today and did not want to go out; when i did, the warmup 2 miles felt awful and the first of the 3 miles not much better (7:23) but then the next 2 felt good (7:03&7:02) and after 2 mile jog home, exercises and some food i now feel good (target was 3 @ 7:15 so got to be pleased !!)

Sam - thanks for the tip about discerning the difference between mental and physical and resting if its physical - need to know this cos sometimes you can become a slave to the schedule

Sam - all the best with the scan - presume results not until middle next week?

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    oscarr: yep deffo feeling down. Trying to think of crossing the line... But struggling with it. Sure it'll pass once I get back to work and can spend the day looking at the map of the route on my desk. Got to keep this in perspective, no biggie. Good run BTW and hope everything is ok for you and yours.
  • Options

Bo - congrats on going through the 1000 posts barrier !!

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Oh yea. That's cheered me up image
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Morning all!

Right, did this morning's threshold run and the splits as as follows:

1    8:37.4    1.00    0    4    8:37    7:31    163    183    28
    2    8:21.1    1.00    0    2    8:21    7:19    148    157    97
    3    8:24.6    1.00    0    2    8:24    7:22    150    156    100
    4    8:18.1    1.00    15    13    8:18    7:33    150    164    97
    5    8:22.4    1.00    3    2    8:22    7:36    151    155    98
    6    8:12.7    1.00    6    6    8:13    7:10    154    160    97
    7    8:06.6    1.00    3    3    8:07    7:22    156    164    99

So overall, reasonable even, but spead up at the end.  HR seems to have been quite consisatnt to (otherthan the wiered peck thing at the start).

Nice to run off my frustrations of the past few days. Not looking forward to going to work now, been off since Thursday last week and who knows what kind of chaos my cases are going to be in... Stressing again... Sam, can I just go for another run??? image

Hope everyone is good. Missing Sleepy BTW.

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

mcs: Just Giving done. Also shared on FB for you too. Might get a couple of takers. 

mcs's Just Giving page

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Oh poo.... Just sat down and waiting for my computer to start... Looke up and seen the pace chart stuck to my desk: today was meant to be between 9-9:45...

*bangs head repeatedly on desk*
  • Options

Morning all

BoD - ooops! Well done anyway! Hope you have a good day today!

Sam - hope the scan went well.

Oscarr - well done on getting out thereimage

I have to force myself to run at the moment, feeling very tired, but the end is in sight!

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

mww: Well done for getting out, it's all going to be worth it in the end.... Crossing that line, arms raised....

• Options

Bo - just can't keep a good man down eh?  that's a good threshold run today and i am sure Sam will tell you to do a SLOW run for your next time out !!

Just done my slow 4mile recovery run (9:30 pace) - really good in this weather.  Just started carb loading for Sunday.

MWW - thanks.

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

I'm scared that she is going to give me a beating.... image for my very clear violation of pacing... Deffo going to stick to slow in the morning.  Got a 200 mile drive, so might wait until the evening for my run, decision to be made a bit later it think....

oscarr: sounds very civilised.  Good luck with the loading. BTW have you figured out how to minimise the bloating feeling?

I've been out and bought caffinee gels for Paris.  Got too many (3), just in case... Zipvits.

• Options

Naughty Craig going too fast!!! Thanks for the plug for the charity page, appreciate it very much.  Well done on getting out there and agree looking after kids is much harder than going to work.

My no2 daughter left home at 7.30 am for a run to work but she is struggling with her knees, she has been to see aphysio and her knees seem to roll about so ends up running knockneed then her hips roll so she is unhappy as struggling to run. SHe is an ace swimmer and this morning she said I think I just need to swim instead.......rotten when you cant do what you want to.

Oscarr speedy run there I did five this am and wont run till Saturday now having to leave home about 6am to get up to the Lakes for the race as OH is playing netball Friday night.........never mind should be a cool weekend as going to stay with some friends Saturday and Sunday night. Have a great run this weekend all. Going to try out my new SIS belt that came with gels on Saturday just to make sure it fits well as while I dont really need to use it for a half need to try it out for the full mara as well as carry some water.

Pickled Herrings on toast for lunch yum. My Swedish OH got me onto these, love em.  Change from cottage cheese with marmite.

• Options

Ha ha haaa...well done Craig even if not at the right pace - image of you banging your head on table made me both laugh and cringe...poor head.

Talking of visualising race day for motivation...I did one of my runs this week on way to work which takes me down Embankment...couldn't help picturing me on the day running down there towards the finish, at speed witha  smile of course image...only just over 3 weeks left for me til then...looking forward to the taper!

Right - time for lunch - Quinoa salad with haloumi for me!  I do like the sound of your lunch though mcs

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Craig, seems we are kindred spirit today....

After a stressful day yesterday I decided to **** everything and go for my run this morning to clear my head. I was scheduled for a 9 mile easy run and ended up running 10 miles at marathon pace - assuming I run the marathon a bit faster than my fastest planned pace. In other words... oops.

The start of my course was flat then mildly downhill (-2.5%) for the first three miles, so I struggled to slow down and compromised at 10:00 to 10:20 pace. By halfway, I knew my plan was out the window, so I decided to try to maintain MP on the return. In fact, I felt strong and ran my fastest miles back up the incline. I averaged 9:50 pace overall.

So it looks like I'm in the sin bin with Craig for pace abuse.

My next planned run is 15 miles on either Saturday or Sunday (subject to schedule). I was intending to run at least half of that at marathon pace. However, maybe I should now scale it back to a slow recovery run? Or should I just carry on regardless? It's going to be on a hilly trail that is hard to pace, but it's probably easier to go slow due to some of the terrain.

Any advice much appreciated.

For what it's worth, I feel great after today's run and ready to sort out the problems that were stressing me.
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I've just seen the weather forecast... snow showers predicted for next Tuesday! I'm not joking either.
  • Options
    Well, all your posts this morning have made me smile even though I should really be in telling off mode! So, boD, better swap the accidental threshold run for a slow/ easy one on next outing. And ten, you've now got your confidence boost so only last 3 max at mp on wkd run - the off road terrain should help you keep pace under control.

My book is out today, peeps! Real women run. In all good bookshops as they say or hefty discount on amazon though I try to support bookshops where poss...

And I am doing an online q and a tomorrow on the forum. Right that's my self publicity over!

Hope you are all feeling a bit more positive today! Don't let a bad run get you down oscarr, and everyone who is tapering, remember this is where the mental strength comes into play. Visualisations are great and so are mantras for keeping a positive mindset.
  • Options

Bo - i think the bloating comes from the increase in fluid intake during loading so over the last few weeks have put a litre of water in a jug in the kitchen and make sure i drink it during the day in addition to my usual intake; i'm hoping that getting used to this greater intake will mean less bloating from loading - will let you know how i get on

Ten - you are a funny guy !!  snow in April !!! well...maybe?

Sam - today's run was better, thanks

• Options
    Sleet in the peak district on yr.no the weather site I use for Tuesday or thats what it said yesterday.......typical when I have a couple of days off!!image
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I was going to post the link to prove it to you Oscarr, and they've now changed it to rain showers. This is why I never gamble.

Thankfully mcs has corroborated my wild story image

Thanks for the feedback, Sam. I'll challenge myself to maintain disciplined pacing this weekend.
  • Options

Da daaaaaaaa - I'm...back LOL

I'll catch up properly over the next few days but just wanted to check in - can't believe how much I've missed you all. 

oscarr - I didn't want to say too much to the guys at the weekend out of respect for your situation but when the heat got up and the 'undulations' started to appear much more daunting towards the end I gave myself a good talking to on your wife's behalf.  Her dignity is a total inspiration and from somewhere I found the strength to keep smiling so thank her for me.