Options

New Year...New runner

Comments

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamalade, I new it a sub 60 minute pb you must be really chuffed with yourself, image I hope you enjoyed those fish finger sandwiches, hmmmm.

Rachel congrats on your 5k pb and a speedy one too. image won't be long until you're finishing before your daughter

No running for me today, playing cricket instead in a blowing gale unfortunetly the rain end the game prematurely image

Happy Running image

• Options

Hi all,

I've just done an 8k run, 56 min ish, been trying to sort my pace out and according to the pace calculator my slow runs should be way slower than I have been doing, so I thought I'd give it a try, I felt like walking would have been quicker!!!

It will be 4 months tomorrow to the GNR so I thought I'd look back through my diary to see how much training I have done since I got my place, now given I've lost around 4-5 weeks with illness I can proudly say I've done 128 training MILES to date!!!! I'm feeling rather proud of myself at that image

Ok, off for shower now then to chill out a bit, or is that sort dive kit as I'm teaching tomorrow image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamalade, you're doing great that just over 10 1/2 mm and if it feels easy thats all the better image, impressive mileage, which will stand you in good stead for the GNR, enjoy diving tomorrow its great to have other passions in life.  I'll need to check to see what my total mileage since I started running in Feb.

Jog Scotland tonight, I ran with the slower group tonight it felt really easy @ 11mm, a couple of the girls were struggling a little so we ran back to them and ran at their pace, I'm not at all concerned about the time or pace but it was a really nice run along the riverside and back along the canal, it was a bit windy but the sun made an appearance which makes all the difference.  I'll be back out on Thursday unfortunetly it suposed to be hosing it down all day image

Happy Running image

• Options

Congrats to you - you are all doing great - keep it up

Sorry not been doing much - long weekend awqy (walked when could and 2 night stay in hotel on 2nd floor with no lift)

Tonight have been out - 3km walk - (your reverse circuit again) - did 3 short jogs on downhill stretch - took about 35min so pleased that at least doing some again

• Options

Ma'amy well done, keep it up and remember one step at a time image Even Aunt Bev has asked for copy of your plan image

I'm having a running rest today as I'm so knackered I can hardly keep my eyes open image Must go out tomorrow and again at the weekend, but tonight is catch up on rest/sleep/bath/food/chilling image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamalade, that sounds like a plan enjoy your rest day image

Ma'amy, well done on the 3k, you're doing great

5.4 miles for me last night average pace for the run was 10:30mm,  our jog leader took us on a variation of the route we ran last Thursday, It was like a mystery tour, he certainly knows all the knooks and cranies, I'm not sure if I'll get a run this weekend I may have to play cricket on both days.

Happy Running image 

• Options

Morning all, finally had sleep and feeling very refreshed image

Stewart - well done on your run, sounds like great fun, magical mystery tour, bet that is something extra we all could do with image

I made it out last night, in the wind and rain (guess there had to be something for delaying a day), plus had to stop part way for the loo image but didn't give up which would have been so easy, managed a total of 11.84k (7.4 miles) felt tough after loo stop, legs just didn't want to keep going, but I was determined to do more than 10k.

Rest today then a LSR on Sunday, lets see how far I get.  Subject to how I feel I currently have a plan A and plan B image

• Options

Hi,

Well, I'm back from my LSR and stuck with my plan A.  Today's LSR is a 21.13km (13.13 miles) image feeling very proud of myself as I now know I can run a HM, wait a minute, I just have image Did it in 2:27:48 so not to bad as had put 2.5hrs on GNR app.

Best of all no blisters or cramp image

Stweart, hope the cricket is going well for you image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamalade, some good running there, minus the loo break, congrats on the new distance pb 13 miles is a major achievement, with 4 months to go until the GNR you must be feeling confident of getting closer to a two hour HM image

Sorry for the lack of updates it's been a busy weekend, on Friday I did a sneaky 3.1 miles in  32 mins  at an average pace of 10.20mm.  Cricket on Saturday in Sunny Nairn, but looks can be deceiving, a really cold north easterly made it feel like a day in Decemeber image on the bright side we won again image  LSR on Sunday 9.5 miles in 1:50:20 average pace 11:30mm, the last mile and a half were tough, my left knee was a little stiff and sore afterwards hopefully nothing serious, no running for me tomorrow, but will be out on Tuesday with Jog Scotland

Happy running image

• Options

Congrats on the run and cricket win Stewart, good one!

Enjoy your rest day x

• Options

Hi

How is jog scotland Stewart?

I've been out and done 10 miles tonight, new pb too image took 1 min off previous one image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamalade, Well done on the 10 mile pb image, you seem to be getting stronger every time you go out, keep up the good work.

I was out with Jog Scotland group tonight took it easy after run on Sunday, I'm pleased to report no ill effects and the knee seems to be ok.  Almost five miles tonight felt comfortable all the way round @ avgerage pace of 10:50mm.  it was really hot tonight so pleased that I felt strong at the end of the run.  Its about 18 weeks until the 10k race so I'll need to look for a training plan that will get me round in about 60 minutes.

Happy Running image

• Options

Hey Stewart,

Good Run, looks like I'm not the only one getting stronger image

As for the training plan, mine was just to keep running.  I did/do 3 runs per week, 1 x LSR, 1 x Shorter run but trying to run it faster (around 70% of LSR), then 1 x short run which is a fartlek type run where you are building speed.  As I get stronger and a little faster I make that run a little longer. 

I would aim to be running your LSR at around 8 - 9 miles, that way you mentally know you have more in you to be able to push harder.

On race day I found I was able to maintain a faster pace, but remember to pace yourself on the first 5k and stretch out for the second.  I found people shot off past me, but after the half way I gradually went back past them.  On the second half use people in front of you as markers, gain on them, pass them and then move onto the next.

Hope that is of some help x

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Thanks for the training advice Maamalade, I ran to and from the gym last night so that's another 4 miles banked image I'll probably do another 5 miles this evening bring my weekly milage up to 24 miles and 66 for the month image and there is still a week to go in May.

Happy Running image

• Options

Brilliant milage Stewart.

I've just done a very hot 10k bringing my monthly milage to 74 miles! Still on track for 88 by end of month image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamalade, thats a lot of miles you have done already, I bet you will have the 88 mile target by Sunday image

5.34 miles this evening, it was fortunetly a little cooler tonight, still warm though, average pace was 10:56mm, I'm not at all concerned with the pace, it's the time on the feet that counts and this pace feels fairly easy which in itself shows that I'm improving.

Happy Running image

• Options
    Sounds like you are doing ask the right things. I have been building time on get at a pace that feels comfortable rather than what a watch says. Keep up the go

od work
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamalade, how was the slow run today, hope it went well image

I decide to go out a little earlier today just after 10am, so no breakfast for me until I got back.  It was really hot today and was suffering a little because of the heat image but still managed 9 miles in 1hr and 50 mins, first 4.5 miles were not too bad average pace was 11:30mm about 52 mins, second half was way slower 58 mins, it felt like I had no strength in my legs, but was not out of breath at all so I could have ran a little faster if my legs didn't feel like jelly image.

Apart from the jelly legs I enjoyed the run, its was great watching the rowers and the boats on the canal and listening to the bird song, and not a cloud in the skyimage.

Happy Running image

• Options
    Sounds like you had a rgreat run, lovely views too.

I made it out for 8 k last night, after food too image Had a migraine saturday night after diving all day so sunday plan had to change. Did give time to air the tent thoughimage

Oh well back to work, for today anyway image
  • Options
    Hi, I've done another 10 miles today. Have a good run if you're out tonight
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

maamalade, you're a running machine well done on the 10 miles.

I had a very enjoyable easy run this evening 5 miles in 55 minutes so that's 80 miles for the month image  25 miles more than last month, I've got a training course this week in Edinburgh, so I may not be able to get out again image , but I'll take my running gear with me just in caseimage

Happy running image

• Options

Hi Stewart, not exactly a running machine as I swapped my running shoes for my bed today.  Felt rough after little sleep last few nights that migraine set in and haven't been up to much all day, only just coming around now image Off to other halves parents for tea so no chance of much after that image

Good new is I was up visiting ma'amy dearest last couple days and when arrived Tuesday night she was out run/walking image Came back all hot like she'd been working really hard, so feeling really proud of her.  Her dream of Great North Run next year is still on track image

Hope you are keeping well and that Edinburgh is being nice to you image I'm back to work tomorrow but with an early finish ready for the weekend image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Great to her Ma'amy is getting out there and sticking with the run/walk shedule, Hope you're feeling better today image

I enjoyed my stay in Edinburgh and the training course wasn't too bad and we were finished by three image, its was a shame the journey home involved a 180 mile detour because of a head on collision between two lorries.

As I finished early I decided to get out there and run around the business park, I'm not used to running at that time of day, far too much traffic in the big smoke, it certainly made for an interesting run, 5 miles in 53 minutes, thats 85 miles for the month, I can't believe how far I've come in such a short time, If someone had told me I would be running over 20 miles a week, I would have thought they were taking the micky.

First home game tomorrow for the 1st, so I'll have to be down the ground early to finish preping the track.

Hope to get out on Sunday for a longer run, I'm aiming for 10 miles image

Happy running image

• Options

10 miles done today, felt like could have done more but I'm hill walking next couple days so thought best to take it easier.

Good luck with your match, hope you get home side advantage and pull off a good win.

Enjoy you run and I'll catch up when I'm back image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope you're enjoying the hill walking Maamalade and the weather is being kind for you.

9.5 miles today in 1hr 45mins I'm quite happy with the run today felt easy for the fist three miles, then the was a little climb for about a mile which made it a little tougher kept my average pace just below 11mm but couldn't maintain it all the way.  I did the same route a few weeks ago and I've shaved 5 minutes of my time image

I'll be going to the gym tomorrow as the park is unavailable because the Olympic torch will be going there on Saturday, the council have told us we are not allowed to train there tomorrow image, I find this kind of ironic given the games are supose to encourage amaturer sportimage

Happy Running image

• Options

Hey Stewart, sounds like you are having great fun.

Camping was ok, even if it did rain solid for the first 24 hours image I haven't been out running since Saturday morning as my knee just isn't coping with it image Must rest then try again.  Need to run too after all the wrong foods this weekend image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamalade, sorry to hear your knee is still giving you some problems, hopefully a few days off will do the trick, I'm glad you enjoyed the camping despite the rain.

It's 16 weeks until the 10k race so I've decided to use smartcoach to plan out my training for the event.

On Monday I did 5.6 miles easy @ 11:15mm

Today I did my first ever tempo run 5 miles with 1 mile warm up and cool down, 3 miles @ 9:46 - 10:12

1    10:52 warm

2    10:29

3    10: 10

4    10:06

5    11:37 cool

I was planning to walk home after the run, but as it was raining I decided to run the 1.5 miles home, I was soaked through even my bones were wet image

Happy running image

• Options

Sounds like you are doing really well Stewart, keep up the good work and fit some runs in for me please image

I've been to the Dr and am waiting for an MRI scan as they think I may have ruptured the ligaments in my knee so no running for me image 

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear that Maamalade, hopefully the scan shows nothing too serious and you're back to full fitness sooner rather than later

• Options

I like your thinking, I'm with you on hoping. Fingers crossed