Options

RW Forum Six - 3.30

Comments

• Options
    Amazing 10k pb Gazelleimage I have my first mp long run planned for this Sunday but not well... Hope I'm better by then.image
  • Options

Hope you get better, if not maybe change your days around if you can, but definitely do it at some point as this will give you such a buzz and you will know you're on track.

• Options

I will definitely do it. I've done a couple of 15 mile long runs with 6 miles @MP before starting the schedule. They were tough but I enjoyed them. They're such a confidence booster. I think it's important to practice keeping your target pace when you're tired.  It's easy when your legs are fresh but half way through your long run it's a different story.

Oh and your 5k pb is definitley up for an updateimage

It's nice to follow someone who's on a similar level.

• Options

Mon77- I knowimage All distances need updating. A late New Year Resolution is to keep my training up and book races throughout the year!!!!

Today's run was 9mile GA

Mile 1-9@ 9:10, 9:20, 9:18, 9:21, 9:19, 9:02, 9:11, 9:15, 9:16

Avg pace 9:15

1:23 overall

av heart rate 151bpm

Quite windy out there today. I felt fine up to mile 2.5, I had planned the route on map my run and was due to turn back to the start( I must of been thinking of tomorrows recovery run!) so i lost my mojo and trotted on up the undulating/hilly road that I hadn't planned. At 4.5mile, my legs started to feel heavy. I turned back and went down the hill hence 9:02 split, i found my mojo and enjoyed the rest of the run.

I did some core work once home and had a milkshake and malt loaf.

• Options
    Mon77 wrote (see)

Oh and your 5k pb is definitley up for an updateimage

It's nice to follow someone who's on a similar level.

I think I beat the 5k Pb on Wednesday's training sessionimage  3 mi. = 4.82803 km, I did 3 miles in 22:31min
  • Options
    Gazelle I've sort of made up my own planned based on stuff I've read on various other plans. My two work out runs in the week are based on Billat Max O2 which I picked up a couple of years ago in an edition of RW. Then a long run getting longer each week to 20 miles then easy weeks here and there with total of 3 20-22mile runs before the end of March. A recovery or gym session the day after the long run and once my knee is sorted I'll add a MP run in as well.

Sounds like your enjoying the spotlight and mentoring. I'll looking forward to pick up a few tips to strengthen my plan from you and Shaggy.

Have you got a charity place or ballot place? Which HM are you doing on the 4th March, I've just signed up for MK?
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Gazelle that is a very good 10k time!

You sound very similar to myself.  I used to train for and run London, get my GFA for the following year then just muck around for the rest of the year, starting marathon training again in the January so there was never really any improvement.  This was fine because it fit in with my life at that time - young children etc.  But I always thought I could be better with the correct training.   Consistency is key,  I have learnt.

C,onfidence is tricky - again speaking from experience.  For me it has to come from within and I am starting to build mine by running a few more shorter races (that I hate) and running at paces I know I can maintain rather than too fast then die.  I still have a long way to go.  image I have most confidence over the marathon distance. 

Another thing that is helping my confidence is learning to accept where I am as far as race times go, rather than aiming for a time plucked out of thin air then being disappointment when I don't achieve it.

• Options

I was getting worried then ref my time for the 10k! Good news is that I have just checked the results and it is the correct time but the date was 3rd April 2011, not sure why I put 2010.

Shaggy-  I did do a race last year apart from the marathonimage It must of been whilst I was training for Stratford.

Minni- Are you sure your not my twin???? My youngest has just gone to school so my priorities have all changed, againimage Lots more time for running.

I know where your coming from ref race times, 3:30 is my aim at the moment,I'm thinking positive, I believe it is within my reach with the correct training, I'm quite a stubborn moo and thrive on goals. Saying that Shaggy and I will be monitoring my progress and will adjust if need be near to the marathon.

I'm not sure which distance I prefer, I guess it depends how I feel after the eventimage

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Lol! I sometimes worry that I've made a mistake with my times too!   I think my times show that half marathon is my strongest distance but like you it changes depending on how I feel after a race.  Fickle us women! image
  • Options
    scuba Trooper wrote (see)

Have you got a charity place or ballot place? Which HM are you doing on the 4th March, I've just signed up for MK?

scuba Trooper I have a GFA place in London but im not sure which start line I will be on.

I've entered the Droitwich Half which I'm already looking forward to. I am searching high and low for a local road 10k for Jan/Feb but can not find one within 100miles of home, there's a gap in the market I thinkimage

• Options

Gazelle  - Nice pacing there today, good to see that you are keeping it sensible and  todays weather was not great for being outside, but for those like you who did venture outside,  well done.

A nice recovery run tomorrow and then enjoy Sundays family day.

Gazelle will be on a easier week next week as she has been building her training up progressively prior to being selected as a forum mentee, and we want to allow her body to get a breather and to mentally give her a easier week, so that she comes back refreshed  and ready to move up another level and start building her mileage up a bit more.

The marathon training is a long run, like the race itself and we don`t want her to go off too fast and crash and burn, as we are in this for the long haul, to get her to the start line in good shape to race.

She no doubt will post her next weeks schedule up over the weekend.

• Options
    That's a cracking 10k time Gazelle, way faster than my pb!
  • Options
    Hmm... Already posted in frodos 4 hr thread and Bruce's 4.10... So call me a thread tart image
    But this thread sounds far too interesting since I already went sub 4 first go and aiming for somewhere between 3:35-3:40.

2nd marathon for me in may, 3:48 with a tight hamstring... I'm never 100% sure of paces for runs, long & tempo ones, especially doing the LSR too fast - nearer marathon pace or at least part of it.

Reading so far makes me think I wasn't too far off. Maybe. Your 10k time is a little bit faster than mine (44:30), but half marathon time a lot slower (1:36:30)

Did all of this on my own but have just properly joined a running club so should get lots of speed sessions & tempo runs in now.

Go Gazelle !
  • Options

Fit-running-cat - a Half marathon time of 1:36 puts you in the ball park,

Question ? male or female, The reason I ask is males tend  not to quite convert there Half marathon times to marathon times as good as females do.

Also the long runs are so key, lots of them and run correctly, no short cuts to the marathon finish I am afraid.

Fast people tend to fall down a bit on the endurance side, endurance people tend to fall down on the speed side and some people fall in the middle and like Goldilocks and the three bears, get it just right.

• Options
    Shaggy wow.. Never heard that before, the conversion from half to full. I'm male.

3:48 time was with tight hamstring after 4 miles so held back a good 20-30s a mile as a first timer worried it was going to go completely and stopped did some stretches.

Liverpool has 3 hills (1 mile going up a tunnel even, up/ down section near the end).. Veterans seemed go think it a tough ish course.., hence thinking that sub 3:35-3:40 is / was possible.

Long runs I did good, regular. Above 14 miles, went 14/16/18/19/20/21/14/16.5/23 miles, last one in approx 3hrs 20. One of the 20 miles was organised one, took slow first half of 1h26, second 10 miles in 1h20.
    I found I was doing lots of long runs 8:20-8:50 pace, which was comfortable, hence thinking sub 3:40

Oh. And lots of gym/ core work..like right now, plus 4 miles run down there,
  • Options

I didn't realise I had a good 10k but it was whilst doing marathon training last year.

Fit-running-cat  - Welcome to the thread, I don't mind thread tarts on hereimage I have a half marathon booked in for March so hoping my time will have improved if not then panic stations for me I think, the race was back in 2010.

Garmin question- I have just been looking on garmin connect at my recent training runs and see that my pace is everywhere, I think this is because I put more effort on the uphills and try and slow down on the downhills this is to keep my lap pace at the correct pace, is this the right thing to do?

My garmin is set up on two screens the first has:

lap pace, time running, distance,  

second screen has: 

hr%,  hr

What does everyone else have there watches set to?

• Options

I have, on one screen, HR, current lap, distance, and time.

On another, average lap pace.

I have used the other screens too, but those 2 are the ones I look at most.

BUT in a race, I always make sure I have my trusty Timex Ironman for splits as the garmin is a good servant but a bad master.

• Options

Fit -Running-Cat -  what was the marathon splits ie, first half and second half times ?
    I am afraid to say an inadequate amount of long runs over 20 miles, we would normally expect 5 runs over the 20 mile distance, as that is where the endurance will come from. also the long runs are being done too fast to be classed as aerobic and are not really working the correct systems.
    Lots of gym work is not always the answer - lots of running is, but it needs to be controlled and safely organised.

But it can be done image so think how much you want to put into it, and then decide.

For most running, I tend to use the screen set up in large easily readable size with threee items only, distance run, time run and average pace run, I don`t need anymore.
    For more technical work I programme the session into the Garmin through training centre, and then let the Garmin tell me how to run and I let Garmin worry about remembering everything else and it just tells me to run say 1 mile @ 7:30 pace........... beeep......... run 0.5m @ 6:45 pace............beep....... run etc etc

Gazelle - you will also be asked to go down the same route when we get onto those type of sessions, so if you get a few minutes start having a look at Garmin training centre. image

• Options

I've just got a refurb garmin back.

I phoned on Tuesday this week and paid by debit card over the phone - £51

I put a polite note in asking possibly if I could get it back before Sunday for a race, it came yesterday, I honestly cannot tell it from  a new one, fantastic service.

I stopped using GTC for repeats and intervals after my bleeper went awol, but I'll be able to use it now.

Tip for other Garmin users, try to keep sweat out of the little bleeper "loudspeaker" holes, it crystallizes and seizes them up, hence no bleeps!

• Options

I have a Garmin 405 but it just let me down on a long run today, dead battery after 6 hours, any recommendations for anything longer life, I do like a Garmin if they do a better version. My HM and 10K times are appalling compared to you lot, I have a 10K on the 4th and HM on the 19th so will try and improve things then. I think 3.30 is a bit of a leap so will soak up the advice with the intention of a sub 3.40 which would qualify me for Boston. No idea if I'd want to do it though, too concerned about being last.

• Options

Shaggy- Maybe it is a good idea to send me my training week by week after your above post of 5x 20mile runs 'gulp', I'm up for it thoughimage

Garmin training centre is all up to date so ready when you are.

Mr Puffy- Glad you had great service from garmin, I'll put a note in if I have to send anything back for repairs.

Good luck in your race tomorrow, which race will you be doing and whats your strategy?

Is anyone else racing tomorrow?

• Options

Gazelle - giving your schedule week by week ?   yes, that is what I thought. image Sometimes when you see a tall wall in front of you, you convince yourself that you cannot get over it....................................................

But if you see it as lots of little walls two feet high that you can step over then it dosn`t seem so daunting at all.

You most likely will be doing things over the next 13 weeks that you thought was not possible for you, but they will be, and that is what will give you the confidence that you can do it on the key day.

Excellant news on the Garmin training centre, have a play by all means now and start getting used to it by putting your runs into it if you wish, but it will really pay dividends when we get onto more technical work.

Have a great race Mr Puffy.

• Options

Lots of pearls of wisdom that you're passing on to us Shaggy Thank you.

Training for me today was

3miles @ 9:14, 9:18, 9:21

Avg pace 9:18

28:00 overall time

av heart rate 140bpm    151bpm

Today run was good, I did an out and back route, the first mile was downhill hence the time on the uphill on the way back.

My heart rate yesterday was avg151bpm  and today was avg140bpm. The pace was about the same as yesterday but yesterday was 9 miles, would the distance  be why the change in beats??? Although yesterdays run was hilly I guess.

Katef- Did you run all 6hrs or longer????? How long are you're long runs and what pace do you run them at?  I'm learning from Shaggy, don't worry about the marathon time until 6 weeks before hand, a lot can happen between now and then. Boston hey, I might join youimage

• Options

Thanks, I'm doing  local race, the Four Villages Half Marathon.

I did it last year in 1:39 then did 3:33 at London so obviously I will be looking hard at the time!

• Options
    Interesting shaggy, you recommend 5x 20 mile training runs? I have started early for Edinburgh so 18 weeks to go..
    That 20 miler was probably a bad example time wise since there were 150+ doing it... Hence competitive side coming out... Here's me thinking a 1hr20m 10 mile time AND a negative split was a good thing image (note to gazelle...don't try impress Jedi Master Shaggy.)

No exact stats for marathon, old garmin wiped info as I finished. I do know I hit 10 miles in shade under 1hr 30, 20 miles in 1hr 26-27, so last 6 would be 51-52 mins. Tight hamstring early on so backed off to err on finishing safely side...HR around 150 till 16 ish miles post 2 uphill bits.

I did do lots of other runs, regular hard 10 -11 milers with hills and long runs (last one here) were with hills every time...Peaked about 45-50 miles a week, monthly mileage went 136/ 145/ 155/ 165

Have joined a running club now, so getting more structure, speed & tempo runs in, just concerned its the right or wrong pace for me now. Gym is 2-3 different circuit classes, plus weights, usually double up some of these with running 1-2days,. Doing all running sounds a bit dull.... image

KateF, my garmin 405cx works fine for 2-4 runs, different lengths.. Why do you need more than 6 hours run time? For an event? You can get a little USB power pack from ever ready

Mr Puffy, I'm nearby, going to be windy for you.

And obviously , Go Gazelle.. Or rest day?
  • Options

Weather looks quite nice outside at the moment hope it keeps that way for Mr Puffy, good luck in your race, Mon77- Good luck with your long run and hope your cold has gone awayimage

Fit- Running-Cat- Yes rest day for me today, I've been trying to find some localish races for this weekend or next but I can only find one which is described as rural and hilly! so I'm off next Sunday to attempt a mock 10k, hope to get some runners from my local running club to join in or shout at me to get a move on.

I am a member of a running club, but will not be running with them on club nights until after the marathonimageI'm concentrating on the bigger picture which is the marathon. I know if I have to go for a 13 miler I would go at a pace that wasn't right ie too fast/slow, or would do say 9 miles and then not do the rest of the miles. I hope they all understand and welcome me back in April.

• Options

I can't quite believe it but I have just entered a 10k race for April, that's three races in 2 months!

My races are as follows:

Sunday 4th March - Droitwich Half Marathon

Sunday 1st April - Cotswold Spring 10k

Sunday 22nd April- London Marathon

Is anyone else doing the above races? If not what races have you entered?

• Options

Morning all - good luck Mr Puffy. Just 6 miles for me today after yesterday's monster 38 miler.

I've got quite a lengthy race list, other than marathons I really want to try and get my 10K and HM times down, but agree it's hard to find something flat and fast, I'm doing one in Richmond Park on the 4th.

I find that as I struggle to push myself in training this is a good way to work on the speed, and will quite often do a 6 - 8 mile run before the 10K, probably why my times are slow!

• Options

Mr Puffy- how did you do today???

Mon77- Did you get out for your long run?

Shaggy - Did you race today or go for a long run?

Katef- What are you training for? If I do over 40miles a week I start panicking thinking I have done far too muchimage

I have made a cake today with pink edible glitter on top. I was going to post it on here but am having problems. It was for everyone who ran today.

• Options

Oh Gazelle Sunday is usually my baking day but I have been ambitious with my curry making instead, cherry bakewell is my current favourite. I'm trying to run over 60 miles a week to keep marathon fit (but maybe not so fast) full time. The main ingedient I am missing is sleep!

How are things like diet and sleeping for you, do they need tweaks too?