Options

RW Forum Six - 3.30

Comments

• Options
    Gazelle- lol you're on fireimage
  • Options

I'm probably in the other camp in the amount I drink (I am excluding wine here because that is stratospheric, and unhelpful) about 4 litres of water and 8 enormous cups of green tea a day. Yes, I spend most of my time in the loo, but don't always need to stop in a race, I think it's sometimes a mental thing, after stopping in London and another marathon I told myself I wasn't going to again and didn't even in the longer trail events. As Carrot says, you don't tend to be desperate when you finish either.

Gosh, what a long post about going to the loo.

• Options
    Hmmm not sure I'm in agreement with you about leaving some of performance out there on last training run. I was very fresh and relaxed.

The race start was delayed so did keep us standing there for 50 mins... Difficult for warm ups. Hence the tight hamstring otherwise I thought very sub 3:40 was defo on, plus it was my first time

Anyway here to learn. Good circuit completed already, lots of good running exercises in it, box jumps, lunges with fit ball, squats with sand bags, amongst others.. finished off with mountain running on trx freedom trainer.
    Running club tonight so hills / intervals
  • Options
    I'm doing Sunderland Gazelle, aiming for 3:20 image Seemed like a nice target when I set it...

I ran 3 marathons last year and was only planning on two this year but it's likely going to be 3 again. Nothing compared to some of the runners here mind!
  • Options
    Gazelle Sorry you misunderstood my posting I'll do 20 mile over 4 runs in the week and then my long run will be 20miles on Sunday. Did a couple of miles running to and from the Gym yesterday and 6-7 mile threshold tomorrow. Not sure how the rest of the week will line up as have to fit in Physio on Friday morning.

Love the pee discussion on this thread, start as we mean to go on, no subject is off limits.

Laurence
  • Options
    Gazelle- what's planned for today?image
  • Options
    Carrot wrote (see)
    I'm doing Sunderland Gazelle, aiming for 3:20 image Seemed like a nice target when I set it...

I ran 3 marathons last year and was only planning on two this year but it's likely going to be 3 again. Nothing compared to some of the runners here mind!

Carrot- keep thinking positive and you will smash your target.

Scuba Trooper- Oh yeah I now see ref mileage, it was late last night image Why do you need to see the physio? You did say no subject is off limits!

Mon77- 3 miles today will post up in a mo.

What have you all been up to today?

• Options

Have not been up to much yet but planning 9 miles home tonight with 4-5 @ tempo.  Still coughing a bit but otherwise feel fine and can't wait to get back out there.  Don't remember the last time I didn't run for 4 days (don't count my pathetic effort on Sunday). Must've been after the last marathonimage.

Have a good one Gazelle.

• Options

3 mile recovery run for me today:

3 miles@ 9:37, 9:38, 9:39

Total time- 29:00mins

Avg Hr - 136bpm

I ran the above in the rainimage It was slower than I would normally run. My legs still feel fine after yesterdays 13 miles. In fact it doesn't feel like I ran today, no aches anywhere. It was quite hard work holding back on the pace.

Need to check out an 8mile route for tomorrow. I feel like a full time runnerimage

• Options
    mon77- Hope you have a great run, just keep thinking we are watching and you need to post your results up, it truly makes you do the session at the correct pace.image
  • Options

OK be honest, you're in mile 24, bang on target, running 7:59's, and you need to go:

Vote below:

Wee yourself

Mr Puffy

Go to the toilet and miss your target:

• Options
    Physio is for a bit of trouble with IT band, it was quite bad a couple of weeks ago but I dropped my mileage for a bit and have been in the Gym instead working hard on glutes and hamstring and this seems have to have solved most the problem. Still gets a bit sore while out so though I'd better get it sorted before mileage load goes any higher.

Mr Puffy great question but can any of us really answer it honestly while sat comfortable in front of a computer. Even if you wanted to could you really manage it while running at that pace. Could also lead to blisters from wet feet. Nasty thoughts.

Perhaps this is the moment for some words of wisdom from Shaggy.
  • Options

Gazelle- I like it- forum policeimage

Mr Puffy...mile 24?  I think I would hold or wee myself.  No way I would go to the toiletimage.

• Options

Truly a hard one, image                  glory  image ....................or shame image  ................................ image

I think, and I have no date to back up this claim but I would hold on as long as phsically possible and beyond that.....................................................................................................?

Who could say. image

Gazelle, nice controlled recovery run today,  image
    The idea for these runs is to act purely as recovery between the harder sessions that you do, Indeed you might feel as though you could have run more and some schedules will have you doing , 4 or 5 miles and yes you could do that, but the effects what be counter productive when you come to your quality session tomorrow.
    Glad to see you feel like a full time runner now.

• Options
    Shaggy- would you say that 5 miles is too long then?  Would you add those additional miles to another easy run during the week?
  • Options
    Mr Puffy wrote (see)

OK be honest, you're in mile 24, bang on target, running 7:59's, and you need to go:

Vote below:

Wee yourself

Mr Puffy

Mr Puffy- ummmm ok then my name is under you on the list(I can't bring myself to typing the words out!) Note to myself, when packing for London take extra kit for the finish JIC.
  • Options
    Mr Puffy will you continue to lower the tone of the thread?

I do hope so, it all adds to the fun.
  • Options

Well, my tempo didn't quite work out.  Did a couple of miles @ 7:40, 7:50 and had to slow down, it just wasn't in me.  I checked my heart rate after I got home and it was all over the place, a lot higher than normal, almost hitting my maximum  during those 2 miles @ LT.  That's not good.  Obviously not fully recovered.  Probably shouldn't have rushed into tempo on the first proper run after the illness... That's how you learn...

Anyway, I'm not too upset.  The main thing is that I'm back up and running and feeling good and hopefully will get back to normal this week and pick up some speed.

8.5 miles in the end @ average of 8:40.  12 miles easy planned for tomorrow.

I hate being sick.image

• Options

Mon 77 - Yes I feel 5 miles is too long for a recovery run,
    Look at what each run/session is in your schedule for ..........................................................?
    Some are key sessions and these should be the main focus of your training week and are the ones that really will have a bigger impact on your training outcome SO TRY NOT TO MISS THOSE ONES.
    Others like recovery runs are short and do what it says on the tin.
    Others are  General Aerobic and help to develop your aerobic capacity and as you get fitter your ability to increase the volume and load in the key sessions increases, but the recovery would not.

Key sessions tend to be specific, so if training for a marathon then long runs, threshold runs and marathon paced runs are key.

10k training would be more specific to speed , so more interval training, threshold runs, shorter long runs and perhaps other runnning form work.

5k training would be very specific with short fast speedwork...... Ouch. image

hope that helps a bit.

• Options

I have felt good all week then after posting that all is fine ect, I now feel so tired, note to self "must go to bed by 10.30 tonight" all these 11pm nights are catching up with me!

Scuba Trooper- where are you on Mr Puffys list??? Glory or shame???

Mon77- We all come back too quickly when were ill. 8.5miles is still a good distance to cover, take it esy tomorrow on your 12 miles.

• Options

Gazelle - well done with the above, I can look after the schedulling and giving you advice,
    you look after the running and you. image

Also you will find on cutback weeks that this is a common feeling , you have put in 4 -5 weeks of progressively harder work and that is why you need to take a easier break, but you will feel better next week though.
    Also the buzz of being selected for this might just be wearing off a little now  image
    But training hard next week will do wonders for you.

• Options

Hope the buzz doesn't wear off too much. Glad its a common feeling and not just me then, i was imaging mon77 spreading her germs over to meimage

Just checked the weather for Sunday's mock race and it is saying snowimage (not sure what this face is but...) will have to see what speed I would need to go on the dredmill!

You never did say Shaggy but do you like your new name of Master Shaggy??????

• Options
    Oh dear I hope it can't be done virtuallyimage I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Make sure you get lots of rest and maybe have some vitamin C just in caseimage
  • Options
    Are you doing a 10k on Sunday? What are you aiming for?
  • Options

Gazelle - I guess I will answer to most names but I will go with whatever, after all this is your thread.

Don`t fret over sunday, we are flexible and will look at things as they become important.

• Options

I  sound like the teachers pet, early bedtime, orange juice for vitamin cimage

I couldn't find any races close by and would like to know where I am fitness wise so I'm going to run 6.2 miles at the quickest speed possible.

• Options
    Mr Puffy wrote (see)

Vote below:

Wee yourself

Mr Puffy

It would be less than 20 minutes to the finish line, I'd just hold it in image

Gazelle I feel tired most of the time image  I can sleep anywhere, I even dozed off standing up once (although I was pretty jetlagged and disorientated at the time)  I have a section on my training log spreadsheet of treadmill conversions from KPH to MM if you want me to email you it, just PM me your address.

• Options
    Oh, ok. Must be tough not in race conditions... Well enjoy your early night.
  • Options

carrot- pm on its way to youimage

• Options

On the Paris thread a couple of years ago we had the Bristol Stool Chart, that's a laugh!

I went out with an hour to fill tonight while Puffy Junior coached football, I was still feeling tired so I eschewed the speed session in my plan and decided on 1 mile warm up, 6 miles at 8mm and a mile cool down. It was hard work, and I flet like I had to put in too much effort, so next time I race I will have an extra day's rest.

does anyone else use SportTracks?  I've got some four years of data now so when I have a lees than satisfactory run, I can look back and see what I was doing this time last year or whenever.  In 2011, I hadn't done any longer runs at mara pace at this point, so I don't feel too disheartened