Options

Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• Options

Stevan -  Always difficult converting times for mara, I've never been able to convert a raced HM to predicted Mara time, probably my fault going off to fast or not mentally tough enough.   But  your 6:50 HM does indicate a  quicker time than 7:44 mara, as long as this has been backed up with the training. In addition some people are more suited to longer distance running.  I would either use the a 20 miler to test your mara pace out, first 10 slow then second 10  at 7:30 and see how that feels or run the HM at 7:30.  I recently raced  a HM at 7:22 and am looking at 7:40's for Abo but that could changed depending on Maidenhead.

• Options

Meep - sorry to hear that your race did also not go to plan. I still cannot understand how I only averaged 7.48 pace when I was doing better than that in training runs just a matter of a few weeks ago. I would not be surprise if you go faster in at least one of your training runs before Abo.

SR - as Barry has said, running a HM flat out the weekend before a Marathon is definitely going to effect your performance in the Marathon. I would say nothing faster then MP in the half marathon, and even then may be just for part of the race.

Stevan - you could also look at the RW's race time predictor . However, I found it little bit generous when it predicts a marathon time based on a HM time, although it might just be me.

• Options

Hello Everyone. I hope your training is going well? 

Unfortunatly my leg niggle is still around, despite resting for a few weeks. So I have decided not to race. If anyone wants me to transfer race number please PM me. 

A repeated good luck to you all on race day !!

• Options

AC and BB - thanks.  I'll do just that then, open out at conversational pace first 3 miles then ramp up to MP (07:22-07:30/mile) for the next 5-8 then ease back.  Cheers folks!

• Options

AGF -  Sorry to hear you are not running, any idea what the problem is with your leg?

9 miles for me early this morning, bit chilly til I got going but happy to report avg of 7:21.

• Options
    Thanks Barry. Not 100% sure to be honest. Thought it was just shin splints and a little knot in quads. Both gone and still hurts. Off to physio next week image
  • Options

AGF - sorry to hear the bad news, hope you recover soon.

BB - excellent pace, was this a MP or sub MP tempo run? Yes, was chilly this morning, first time wearing a t-shirt instead of a vest for about 2 months for my easy 30 min run.

Club track session tonight, 8 x 1000m, a lot more enjoyable than 400s.

• Options

Crappy news AGF, get everything sorted and be back for next years!

Nice 9m Barry, looks good for Sunday.

AC, 8x1k image  not long after a HM, you are made of strong stuff, what pace are you doing them at and what recoveries? Im still on easy running, also first time in t-shirt this morning, getting used to running oin the dark now as well image 

• Options
    Good plan SR, just err on the side of caution. Personally, I couldn't trust myself to not start racing somebody.

Bummer news AGF

Nice session BB
  • Options

AGF-That's a real bummer!  I've got something wrong with my right shin & left quad has been a concern too.  So I've not run at all this week .  Will have an easy bimble around Fri & hopefully I'll not embarrass myself at Maidenhead on Sunday!image 

• Options
    Oh dear, we are starting to sound like the walking wounded. Hope everyone finds a speedy recovery.

Hope you are fit for Sunday Luvsa. BB , good session.

Still have a slight niggle (knee - hamstring issue) but I'm keeping moving. I was a bit achey this morning, possibly enhanced by a chilly first mile. Had a 7 miler with 2 at 10k pace to check everything is 'functioning'. Back home to another day of stretching in between a bit of work.
  • Options
    Not working today so decided to get my long run over and done with today. 20 miles v v slow. Hated every step from 12 miles onwards! Think it must have been a bad day as last weeks 18 did not leave me struggling this much! Couple of days rest now I think!

AGF - sorry to hear you won't be running. Hope you recover soon.

Good luck to everyone running Maidenhead this weekend.

Any other sub 4 lurkers out there?
  • Options
    Thank you guys.

LuvsaPB, hope it clears up for you.....

Keep up the good training and best of luck for the weekend training runs /races ... image
  • Options

SR3 -  Get the bad ones out if the way now, still 20 miles logged.

Luvsa, AR  - Good luck for tomorrow, I'll be in white singlet and black shorts but probably easiest way to spot me is my blue KT tape on my leg, try and see you at the start because I'll think you'll be long gone by the time I finish.image

• Options

Good luck to the Maidenhead racers tomorrow, also anyone else racing!

Better to get the bad runs in now SR3 than in 5 weeks -gulp-

Put last weeks half to bed this morning with 10 easy 8:20/m, then 10 steady 7:04/m, cd. first time havinbg a bit to eat before hand and noticed the difference.

• Options
    AGF gutted for you but listen to the body you know in your mind when you're not up for it!!

Just back in blighty after my two weeks food and booze fest. Pretty sure I've put a ton of weight on but I'm not getting anywhere near the scales for at least a week!

Did 5 runs while away, nothing of any distance and nothing of any speed, don't think the legs were too happy with going from high mileage to mor or less zero, my calves kept tightening up and I suffed a couple of spasms which left them feeling tight for 24 hours. Looking forward to getting back on the horse just watching GNR trying to find some inspiration for an 18. No targets as such just want to get round and see how much damage I've done to myself lol

Decent training going on by most, the training is often the hardest with marathon training getting to the line in good shape is an art in its self!

Will report back later image
  • Options
    Well........I've a nice big blood blister on my big toe, I've taken the head of a nipple and to top it off I've got nappy rash. Welcome back Martinimage

Running wise started off a bit quick and had a bit of a stitch after the first mile, but slowed it down a bit before getting in my stride the middle section I was flying and enjoying it but the last three miles were a real struggle I believe down to no drink or gels, bad planning on my part and a school boy error. Finished in 2:00:44 ave 6:44 so pretty happy and had I fuelled correctly I'm sure the finish wouldn't have been so brutal. Three hard weeks now and two taper and this time five weeks we'll be in the pub either celebrating or commiseratingimage
  • Options

Meep - Nice long run.

Martin -  Welcome back and well done for getting back on it.

Good day for me, Maidenhead HM and recommend it, well organised and a good course.  Bit congested for first mile but stopped me setting off too quick, plan was 7's and see how it was going, was looking for 1:35 after my PW a few weeks ago but v happy to report I finished in 1:30:49(garmin) at 6:56 avg. image

• Options

Well done Barry - sounds like you had a great race. I looked out for you at the start. I stared at the legs of several runners wearing white singlets, but didn't see any KT tape. Gave up after I got somes stares back image

I went out far too fast. First 3 miles were sub 6 min/m pace (stupid pace for me given I have a 19:20 5k pb!). Calmed down a bit, struggled in the middle with pace, and developed a bad stitch. Then twisted an ankle. Picked up the pace and finished with a pb of 1:22:09, a bad stitch, and an ankle that is now ballooning up. I don't think the ankle will be too bad to affect training image

• Options
    Well done again AR!image

Cracking result for BB too - sounds like you've really turned a corner over the past couple of weeks.

Nice long running Martin - do you simulate your race nutrition on any of your LSRs?
  • Options
    Thanks guys, hope the ankle isn't too bad Also.

Slokey, I'm normally very disciplined where nutrition is concerned gels every thirty minutes as per race pland and bottles stashed along the course, maybe I underestimated the distance 18 is a bit in the middle with distances but as I found today should have been a bit more respected!!

Barry nice running great to see you bounce back image
  • Options

Sounds like you had a good holiday Martin, sounds like you truly treated yourself!

Back on form BB, good run,looks like your target in 5 weeks is getting quicker image

Lol Also, getting caught checking out peoples legs. Nice time, and with a twisted ankle to deal with. Bet you are looking forward to revising that 5k at some point as well!

• Options

AR -  That is quick given your stitch and ankle.  I got a couple of strange looks, I was waiting at the finish trying to meet up with someone from the sub 3:30 thread, was looking for a blonde ponytail, but gave up after two just gave me a nod  but obviously not the person.  

• Options

I have a place available due to injury if anyone is interested.  We will have to act fast though as we only have till the 23rd

• Options

Martin – welcome back, and a nice 18 miler, eventhough did not go as planned. Holidays, I agree can play havoc with your training, however a lower level of training for a few days can sometimes really help. No need for a cut back week now.

Barry – brilliant run, and a complete turnaround from a few weeks back. Please tell us what you have changed in your training, as I definitely need to do it.

Also-ran – congratulations on the PB, must be a wonderful confident booster for Abo, especially given the problems with stitch and the ankle. The only time I got stitch in a race was 3 miles from home in a 10 miler, which ended up destroying my time. So well done, and hope the ankle is better today.

17 miles as planned for me on Sunday, with last 6 at MP. Keep the first 11 slow (av 8.45) given my recent problems, and managed an average of 7.34 for the last 6.  Still harder than it should be. Pleshey HM race next weekend should tell me a bit more.

• Options

Long time absentee from the thread reporting back. A quick read back of recent events makes it seem that there are a fair few who are struggling with injury. Sorry to hear of it. Encouraging though to read of some good racing going on this weekend at Maidenhead. Well done to Barry B and AR on some great performances.

I've been on the bench for most of the training campaign. Knee problem cost me a month of training, then after 4 weeks of decent training a back problem cost me another month of training. This was all preceded by my Comrades campaign where I had lost April and most of May to injury. So basically I have not run much for the past 6 months. I was on the verge of coming on here to offer my place up but thankfully I thought I would give it another week. 10 days ago I was able to start running again so I may as well give Abingdon a go, just for the fun of it.

Whinge now over. I was also at Maidenhead yesterday. I just ran easy to halfway, at below marathon pace. I picked up the pace to about HMP for the second half. This made for interesting half splits of about 45:10 and 40:52 for 1:26:02. I was pleasantly surprised to have run the furthest I have without knee pain for nearly 6 months and also that I still seem to have a little bit of fitness remaining. I'll have to try and get a few weeks of decent training in and set a target sometime on the evening of the 20th of October.

• Options

Warren, sounds like you had a tough time in recent months to battle through. But having said that, your 1:26 sounds really encouraging. If things are coming good, I guess you will be able to cut down the taper as you haven't been able to run much over the months. Hope it goes well.

AC, sounds like a good run on Sunday, and hope things come together for the weekend. Should be a good race to help narrow down you target for Abo. For stitches, similar here - never had a stitch before. I'm putting it down to the weekend as it was my birthday and probably over indulged on the food side.

Went to test my ankle this morning after twisting it in the race. Still a little bit of swelling and a nice purple bruise has come out. Went for a 4 mile recovery run and at it is not too bad - felt really loose by the end of the run . Think I will stick to flat surfaces for this week, and will avoid the hills and trails while it heals fully.

I have this week and next week for training, then I'm off on a short trekking holiday for a week, so the first week of taper will see little or no running. My wife plans to ban me from taking my running shoesimage

• Options
    Legs were pretty battered Monday but with time closing in, I did a six steady and once again felt bad. Knee was aching and legs felt generally wasted and that was after a massage that morning. Did the same course again today and felt a lot better so hopefully it's coming back, I would imagine by the end of the week I should be getting back on track. Club night tonight so I'll go long and run easy it'll probably be a five or so.

Also - glad the ankle isn't too sore some nice flat running will see you through!!
  • Options

Get a grip Mr G - you've been nailing your training (& racing!) and you've just done a sub 3hr paced 18mile training run. I personally blame the company you've had for your last two runs. Stay positive and, with you doing the race sensibly (and, hopefully, favourable weather), you will get your just deserts!!

• Options

Warren - welcome back and sorry to hear about the problems. Still a decent time on not much training, and sounds like there was still a bit in the tank at the end. As Also-ran says, you should not need very much taper for Abo, and never know you could still quick crack a decent time.

Also-ran - glad the ankle is on the mend. Just take it easy, no need to risk anything now. My wife also tries to make me forget my running shows when we go holiday, although I always sneak them in at the last moment.

Martin - sounds like things are going the right way, I am sure you will be back to 100% by the end of the week, no probs.

1 hour Fartlek this morning for me, around about 14 efforts, ranging between 30secs and 3 mins. Felt better as I went on, and touch-wood no aches or pains.