Options

Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• Options

Thanks for the welcome. I managed 16.5 this morning and could have gone further but I didnt have the time. I felt quite good as I am now confident that I will make the cut off.

Wow Barry B you are speedy.

• Options

Thanks for my welcome too. Perversely it helps to know I'm not the only one struggling. I had visions of everybody haring off at 3-hour pace and me turning up 2 hours after they've all gone home.

I've rested today but I did go for a walk this morning. Going to rest in the week and just walk then too. Hope to get back to running next weekend but still take it easy.

Would like one more 15mi+ run before the race, although it's going to have to include a few walking breaks.

Barry B - I'd be happy with one mile at that speed. Very impressive.

• Options

Seesteverun I was thinking the same thing. We will be fine as long as we dont get caught by the sweeper bus.

• Options

Hi folks,

First post for over 7 weeks - have just caught up with the thread over that period. For those with long memories, you'll recall that we were flooded out of home in the Devon floods of early July, so to say that this summer has been stressful would be an understatement. Moving house with zero notice, with no where to go to and most of your posessions either ruined or damp isn't recommendable. Lots of other issues but at least we're in a semi-permanent house now, which is dry !  Only highlight of the summer was being in the stadium for 'Super Saturday' - a truly unbelievable experience that I'll remember for ever.

Running has been variable throught the last two and a half months, but as Eric Morecambe might have said: I've been doing all of the right sessions, but not necessarily in the right order. Have managed over 50 miles/week for 10 weeks now - first time I've managed that for ages - with a peak at 64 miles. Five runs of 20 miles or over (inc a very cold/wet windy 22 today) so far, with just one more planned next weekend before the taper. Only problem that I have is that my son seems to be in better shape than I am - just have to trust that inexperience will be his undoing!

Was interested to see the discussion on massage. I only discovered the benefits recently and bought a massage roller back in the spring. I found muscle tightness spots that I didn't know I had and which was excrutiating to work on at first with the roller, but gradually worked them away. Can't praise the value of it enough - it goes everywhere with me - I think it has enabled me to keep relatively high mileage going.

Good to see that most of you have made really good progress over the last couple of months, too many to pick on individually but MG15, if you're still planning on running at 6:30 pace, we could be spending a bit of time in each other's company in 4 weeks time !

Away with work for three days now, but it's good to be back !

• Options
    Nice long run BB after many hours in the car. I had a 23m run today at a mx of my MP and then some steady pace on trails.

Dart more, sounds like its been a tough year for you. Sound like you have your focus on Abingdon even if it is using the Morcambe plan
  • Options

Thanks A-R

Good session for you today, esp with significant miles at MP. Mine wasn't at or near MP, struggled in the wind at times.

Not sure that I would recommend the Morecambe Plan to anyone - it's not too 'wise' image, but has been better than removing focus from Abingdon, which would have seen me drifting through the summer and being much more unfit than I am,

• Options

Ecky/Steve  -  Take a look a last year's results, therewill be a  lot  of speedsters running, much quicker than me, but there is a big spread of ablitlies.

Dart -  Welcome back, good to hear you're are sorted out and 50 mile weeks are very decent training.

AR -   Good long run.

4 miles recovery this morning in the wind and rain.

• Options
    Dart More. Glad you have finally got yourself semi sorted and managing to keep your running on track is a big plus. I'd be quite happy for a bit of company on the big day, it's always easier in a group. My plan is to set off at steady 6:30's up to 20 then see where I am. If I feel good ill go for it otherwise ill try and stay at that pace. I'm sure there were a couple of others heading towards 2:50 hopefully we can get a nice little group going.

20 yesterday ran at 7:00 m/m had a fair few miles into the wind and was around 30 secs quicker than the same route in July so fairly happy, I've got some company for my final long run (22) so fingers crossed we can push the pace a touch.

Nice easy 6/4 double today and the 6 is going to be on a treadmill as its absolutely lashing down (big baby lol)
  • Options

Seesteverun/Eckytump – welcome, and best of luck with the rest of your training. We all sometimes have to adjust and kick our original target times out the window. I am sure once you have completed your first marathons, any training problems will long be forgotten.

TickTock – well done on your 22 miler. Will that be your longest?

CFB – well done. 75miles is long way however way you do it. Hope the knee is OK.

Dart More – glad you and the family are now settled.  Sounds like the running is not going too bad either. Best of luck with the 6.30 target, it’s funny how these things come together on the day.

Martin – sounds like you are back on the money. Don’t worry I often use the treadmill when it’s raining, it’s good to whimp out sometimesimage

Barry – Well done on the good paced 24 miles. Thanks for the advice on the HM, which I took.

My first mile at Pleshey HM yesterday, which I took easy, thankfully was my slowest. Finish time (chip) was 1.34.20 (av7.10), which given the recent problems I am satisfied with, if not overwhelmed with. It would have been a bit quicker if the heavens had not opened up with rain and gale force winds at 10 miles…oh well at least I was not on target for PB or anything.  I would certainly say target pace for Abo will now be 7.40s, and see how it goes.

• Options

Thanks Barry B. I must admit I did look as I was worried it was going to be a really fast race but as long as I can get in just short of 5 hours or maybe just over then I will be happy.

Thanks A.C I must admit that is part of my frustration as for weeks I was following a plan to the letter then after a couple of bouts of illness (my lovely kids like to share) it really knocked me back so I gave up on the plan and have just decided to make sure I can do the miles in a reasonable time.

• Options

For those aiming for sub 3 you may want to bear these guys in mind.

• Options

Good to see tou back and still at it DM

Good work on the HM AC - hard work in the wind and pi$$ing rain

That looks a tough challenge for those fellas to do 3.00.59. Wonder what their individual PBs are. It said one of them had done 2.58 but I'd have thought they'd all need to be that calibre to pull it off. Is it "cheating" to get pulled along if you're flagging...

Think I'll be planning to start at just a smidge under 6.40 pace (true pace by mile markers as opposed to unreliable GPS pace) and see what happens. Had a reasonable progressive long one yestarday - 40 minute spells at 7.45, 7.25, 6.59, 6.42 to total 21 and a bit miles I think. Would have liked to have gone a tad quicker for the last few but will be pleased if MP can stay at 6.40 all the way round on the day

MG - I think 6.30 is just a bit of a stretch this time. Determined not to blow up if I can avoid it

• Options

2:58is the slowesat pb. The others are either sub 2:45 or sub 2:30 going by their Xempo vests.

• Options

Ah good for them. Looks like that'll be fairly nailed on then.

• Options

AC -  Well done on the HM, a very good result after the previous.

Fraser - Very impressive progressive long  run.

Hill repeats this morning, WU, 12 x 2min  with jog back down recovery, WD then straight to the gym for monthly physio.  Have you been stretching/foam rolling? asked my physio, No too busy running I answered , that's why your ITB is so tight he replied, my next words cannot be repeated as he freed off my tight ITB.

• Options

FW - good progression run. Sounds like you are still on course. I agree that GPS pace is always unreliable, and therefore I try and run slightly quicker than GPS pace to keep on target. Must be hard to keep doing the maths at each mile marker to check whether you are still on pace, or do you use some sort of wrist pace band to do this?

Barry - sounds like the physio had the last laugh, as they always doimage

Nice steady 45 mins for me this morning. No stiffness or tightness from Sunday, which is surprising given 2 weeks ago, after running 8 mins slower I still had stiff legs on Thursday morning.

Is next weekend everyone's last long run before taper. I am hoping for 20+ miles this weekend, and will then be down to 15 miles for next weekend.

• Options
    Yes last long run for me aching got a 22 planned for Thursday which I will be running with a (faster) clubmate so hopefully he can pull me along and give me a bit of confidence, then next week I've got a 17 which will be 3 mile warm up 13 @ MP then a mile warm down. If I can't run comfortably at 6:30's here I may be keeping you company at 6:40 pace.

Talking of MP runs today was a 14/5 double. The 14 done with a mile warm up/down and 12 @ MP splits were 7.24, 6.33, 6.39, 6.38, 6.33, 6.33, 6.34, 6.40, 6.45, 7.02, 6.34, 6.37, 6.40 and 8.34. Flt good at the start, no wind and was more or less on pace but the middle section there was a bit of a strong crosswind which not only slowed me down but tired me out too (the 7.02 was straight into it). Finishing up I was again like last week pretty tired and this is only after 12 @ MP so not overly impressed although I only had two days rest since my 20 and it was bucketing down so I shouldn't be too hard on myself. The 17 will give more of an impression of where I'm at. This evening was an easy 5 on the treadmill one soaking a day is enough for anybody!!!

A couple of questions for the abo veterans. What is the weather usually like? I know it's nigh on impossible to say but you can usually get a good idea from previous years, I'm guessing with it being inland it's less likely to be windy. And secondly what do we run on? Cycle paths, pavements etc if it is pavements what about people walking on them lol
  • Options
    Cloudy, 11 degrees, a bit breezy. That's my guess on the "what will the weather be like" sweepstake

Speedy sessions from FW and MG, I'll see you at the start line chaps and then watch you get smaller into the distance!

Sounds painful Barry....

AC, I'm in a 10K on Sunday so will do my last LSR (19-20) the following Friday and then have a short taper. Tapers don't seem to agree with me so doubt it will make that much difference

Postie, those fellas will make a great windbreak, get drafting!

Martin, the course description on the first few pages of this thread give a good run down of the terrain.
  • Options

Martin, weatherwise the last 3 years have been dry, calm, bloody freezing at the start (especially 2010) and near perfect by the last 10 miles - if near perfect for you is sunnyish and about 12ºC - it is all on roads/pavements with very good tarmac, apart from a repeated mile along a footpath, which is still pretty level. Do not worry about the mythological underpass of doom at 22 miles. It is an underpass not an alp image

I seem to have got out of the marathon bike ride with no more than a couple of slightly achy knee tendons, which are not a worry. Jogged 4 miles on Sunday, ran 4 at 8m/m last night, and trotted round 9 miles tonight. Everything feels great except, as ever, I don't have any speed in me this year, at least not since the South Downs Mara. No matter, I'll do maybe an 18 this weekend, Windsor Half and Henley Half, , and aim for sub 3:30 again and see what happens.

• Options
    Thanks guys the underpass holds no fear for me lol I live a stones throw from snowdonia national park it's impossible for me to find a four mile route without a lump in itimage

The plan says 6/4 easy double today but I want to fit circuits in tonight so it's going to have be a simple 10 easy.

Thanks Slokey I've had a look at the course description not long to go now, starting to get the collywobble's already lol I need a decent long run tomorrow and my 17 next week. This is only supposed to happen deep into taperimage
  • Options

AC -  I'm planning a 20+ for this Sunday, then I've got a HM two weeks before Abo. Probably an easy 12 for the Sunday a week before.

Martin -  The weather has been kind for the last 3 years, no great problems with the route, some roads are partially closed to traffic, from about mile 2 to 3 1/2 its down a woodland path, then a narrow track at mile 13 which is repeated about mile 21, some of the running is on pavement but never had any problems.

7 miles easy this morning.

• Options

0 miles this morning image. Took a few steps and felt a bit of hamstring tendonitis starting to come back. Went straight back home for some stretching / massage.

Damn - this was my final full week of training before holiday. Looks like I will miss my last interval session (will see how I am this evening). Should still fit in an easy run and a last long run before hols, then its a week of trekking and roughing it. I generally find long walks help to rejuvenate the legs so hope to come back to the remainder of the taper rejuvenated.  If only I could get that last interval session finished ........

• Options

AR -  Bad news on the injury but don't push it missing one run will not hurt too much.

AC -  Going back to the question on pacing, if you want accurate mile pacing to the course, turn off the autolap function and press the lap button at every mile marker, gives a more accurate pace, make sure you have avg pace displayed, if you miss one of the mile markers just press the lap button to make up for it and the avg pace will still be accurate when you press the lap button again at the next marker - hope that makes sense. 

• Options

Martin - don’t worry if you cannot maintain quite MP for 12 miles at the moment on a lumpy course. Once you are rested and fully tapered, it will be a different matter on a nice flat course like Abo.

Slokey - best of luck with your 10K on Sunday

Barry - thanks for the GPS advice. Yes, does make sense. Will you race your HM 2 weeks before Abo?

Also-ran – take it easy. One missed session will not make any significant difference, however any injury at this stage will.

7½ miles on the treadmill for me this morning, as it was not nice out there.

• Options

Also-Ran -missing a few sessions now is no problem, the fitness and endurance is in the bank

Martin - that sounds like beast of a session. I struggle running 4 miles at MP when training but hope it feels easy come race day (if not I am in big trouble)

Aching Calves - I hope you had some distraction on the treadmill. 7.5 miles on one would bore me to death.

Lovely and sunny here in London (or at least for part of the day) - sorry!! I went to track and did 6x1200m at approx 5:55 pace. So that is probably my last proper interval session. Planning on 20 miles on Sunday and then can start the taper. I still need to decide on MP but thinking 6:45 and then hoping to speed up a little later.

As others have said the course is flat with a couple of bit along trail footpaths. There is a gentle hill at mile 7 and at mile 9 (repeated on 2nd lap) but it is pretty gentle. The steepest bit is the underpass at mile 23. Personally I hate it and normally shout out in agony as my legs cramp up - so don't be near me. Finally when you see the stadium you need to be aware that they make you head off around a twisty path for 800m before you storm on the track for the last 300m sprint/crawl.

• Options

CRISIS!  Got injured doing long run last Sat. ested till yesterday, did a.m. easy and was ok, then pm run  injury (lower back muscle seized) within 200m of starting so had to stop!

I've banked some real quality runs, incl. 5 x 21-22 milers over the last 9 weeks.  I was due to run last long this Sunday/Sat (which I may still do) but need to rest this body.  Question: If I miss this, what do you think folks?  I'm aiming at Abo 7:25-7:30/mile, and have comfortably run this sort of speed during increasing parts of my training on long runs.  Do I still race (if injury free) and if so, do i adjust or 'go for it' based  on very consistent (up to Saturday!) steady 60+ miles with Long runs over the last 15 weeks?  Thanks in advance for replies.  Off now to sulk and stretch...image

• Options
    Missing one long run isnt going to make a great deal of difference IMO. It's a shame it's the last one however a lot of people take a four week taper so it's not the end of the world. They say the best time to get injured during training is three weeks out, you're slightly premature image I'd concentrate on all the good runs you've done recover and go for it, you'll soon realise whether you can sustain the pace or not!! Good luck with the recovery, maybe a trip to a sports therapist can speed things up and ease the worries image
  • Options

SR - Def miss this last long one. Nearly taper time anyway. No need to adjust targets etc at this stage. Don't panic ! Often back pain just settles very quickly with few days rest. Much much better to rest at this stage and turn up fresh at the start line. Avoid anything that could strain your back for next 3 weeks ie no DIY/gardening etc etc

Not many people get to this stage without some niggle or other. I'm managing a bit of left quad and adductor ache just now. Nothing major but you need to listen to your body

• Options

SR - agree with the previous advice. Go with your original target, the extra rest/taper may even actually do you some good, as you already have sufficient mileage banked. There is no need to risk anything as this stage, hardly anything to gain, everything to lose.

TT - good track session. I normally have the ipod blasting out on the threadmill's speakers (may even wake the neighbours & wifeimage), although even with this, 2 hours is my limit.

Easy 35mins this morning, club track session tonight..not yet sure of session.

• Options
    Well the final long one is in the bank, ran with a clubmate who is a much better runner than me and luckily so as he dragged me round. Set off a little faster than normal going through 11 in 1:17:42 then hit a really sticky patch on about 15 miles. Stitches both sides just generally whacked and needed a dump (sorry TMI) this lasted right through until 20 when I perked up a bit second 11 done 1:19:16 so a 1:30ish positive split. Possibly my only pos split on the plan but I'm glad it fell like this as I'm happy to have stuck at it when I could easily have finished early, we passed my house twice in the latter stages. So 22 done in 2:36:59 ave 7:07. Not to be scoffed at but I know I'm capable of better. The next long one will be race day where I'll be rested and carb loaded up and I'm sure the adrenaline of race day will help me through. Sill undecided on a race plan my MP session next weekend will determine that. Whoever said marathon running was easyimage