Options

South Downs Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K

Comments

• Options

I hope it's tomorrow Helly D!!

• Options

Devon - not even listening lalalalala image

Well I've stuck my chip on my trail shoes now, so that's that. Looks like sun screen rather than waterproofs tomorrow.

Everything is hurting in sequence this evening, which is pretty much a good sign

• Options

Have loved reading through the comments in this thread, looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow. This is marathon #6 of 12 for me this year, looks like its going to be an awesome experience, must remember to bring my camera!

• Options
    Good luck today everybody, hope to see some of you out there. I still haven't made the footwear decision !
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Did the half version today (a PW) however still a good race.  Has anyone else in here done the half and what did it say on your medal as mine said marathon rather than half marathon?

• Options

Well that was tuff! Very tuff! I knew it was going to be hilly but my god!!

Well done everyone! I managed a 4:22 which I'm over the moon about.

• Options

Well done Trippr and everyone else - I snuck inside 4 with a 3:57:58, and I am just as far over the moon as Trippr. Despite the regular power walks image  I pretty much "emptied the tank" in the last 1½ miles and wobbled through the last 200m. The unexpected hill at 24.2 nearly did for me.

I ran a while with Merrowman in his flip-flops? didn't see you come in there, and I hung around for a while at the finish. Hope you kept going and ended up OK??

What a beautiful race for views!

• Options
    Glad you got under 4. I started having cramping problems with about 7 miles to go but finished in 4hrs10 so pretty pleased with that for a brutal first marathon (and in my flip flops....)
  • Options
    Hi HM4, yes I completed the half today and my medal also says Marathon. When I look back on that medal when I'm old and senile I'll be convinced I run the 26.6 instead of the 13.3...better sign up for the marathon next time I guess in preparation for senality, as I'm sure it's not far away image

What a great race though, and so hilly. Still can't believe the weather came good on the day after the dismal week preceding it...well done to everyone else who ran
  • Options
    Well done all. 30 min course PB at 4.10 for me (not really sure where it came from) so also sitting here with a huge smile on my face. Love this event and will be back next year. Awesome race, the scenery is the real star - views today were fabulous. A club mate of mine did the half and also has a 'marathon' medal..........
  • Options
    Superb event. And brutally hard. Loved every minute of my 4:40ish plod. Well done everyone and big thanks to the many marshals. You did a great job out there. Thank you.
  • Options

first time for me and thought it was tough but fair, loved the scenery and although it was hard still a good course  might do it again, as for the guy running in native flip flops well done mate  you still beat me.

• Options

@Tommygun2 - two guys were running bare foot at the start, not sure how long that lasted!

@OGH - congrats on your PB! That's an amazing time!

• Options

Slightly drunk now, but I seem to have got out of the race with nothing worse than a couple of stiff hips.

Well done everyone - I saw a couple of Pirates in the second half of the race.

Merrowman - thanks for the 13 miles of company, and well done in those flip-flops - 4:10 in your first marathon on that track - bloody hell!

It was by far the toughest long race I've done, and I'm still punching the air after getting in sub-4. Abingdon will seem so easy this year - probably image

• Options
    One twisted ankle and a new PB for me well chuffed.
  • Options
    Great course, very slow last 3 miles as I started cramping but pleased with a 4:15... London GFA of sub 3:15 target at my next marathon also at Abingdon (my sub 3 PB course).

Well done all... gotta dash, plane to the Maldives to catch this afternoon, Gatwick here I come image
  • Options

Completed my 100th marathon yesterday - just love the South Downs. Despite the westerly wind was going well until halfway when my lack of training slowed me down. Finished in 4.44 and felt fine at the end. Great to see so many friends and acquaintaces there.

• Options
    Well done everyone loved this race will definatley be back next year. I'll be back over this course again in 3 weeks year as I attempt the sdw100 . I big thankyou to the marshalls and organiser excellent event and a thankyou to the guy who helped me after my fall at 20 miles sorry didnt get your name.
  • Options

@Chillies - I don't think I'll ever manage a sub 4 on The Downs. Congrats!

Some great athletes out there yesterday!

I managed to run up the first two monster hills, including up and through the crop field. Everyone was very helpful by warning the runner in front and moving to the side.

But.... the one at around 17/18 just seemed imposible, and then they just kept coming! I'm almost certain the 2nd half is much more brutal on the hill front!

• Options

Lingster - if that was you that went into the bushes it was me that stopped.  If it was you you were intact and cracked on with it...  made of tough stuff.  image

• Options

Lovely day out, bit disappointed to be 15 mins slower than last year but that's poor preparation for you. Agreed the hill at 17/18 is just mean! Feeling good today and glad we had the sun yesterday.

• Options
    The section from the road at c13 miles to the picnic area at 20m is a killer, and just at the wrong time too. Harting Down (the c18m thingy) is..........cruel. I also forgot about the sneaky hill through the last water station as well at 23.5m. Nice last couple of miles though ! Feeling good this morning - just completed the Towns charity bike ride of 40 miles. Good 3.5 hour recovery cycle. I now have a loooooong appointment with the sofa.
  • Options

Well done everyone image such a fab event, first time I've done the full thing and I loved it!!! (after 2 years of doing 1 leg of the relay and hating it!!!). Plodded round in 4:46 which I'm very pleased with after pretty much no training since the Brighton Marathon in April!! Will hopefully be back next year...have got the trail marathon bug now and just entered Beachy Head!! image

• Options
    Oooooh you'll love Beachy if you enjoyed yesterday. Although there is technically less elevation, I find it harder due to the nature/concentration of the worst hills. Brilliant atmosphere, views and organisation, and the best en route feeding stations of all..........only marathon where you can put weight on running it !
  • Options
    Beachy sounds interesting! I'll look into it once I'm home!
  • Options

It was the rumour about the good feeding stations that tempted me into entering O.G!! Although with all that food I'll never make it round....! image 

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

I have a feeling you need to go to the Eastbourne council website to register for Beachy as it may not be on RW this year. Weather yesterday was almost the same as every year and I can't believe how hard the ground was. I sneaked under four hours so very happy with that.

Southdownsman - I forgot to look out for you though I did see redhead. Are you doing Downland Ultra this year?

• Options

great weekend and awesome race.....Shoegirl you gonna love those sausage rolls and currant buns at Beachy!!! That should slow you down ha ha !

Well done all great day out x

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

It was fab wasn't it!  I'd forgotten how brutal some of those hills were which is just as well as I'd have been worried - I've just been diagnosed as asthmatic and am getting used to the medication.  Had a sore right leg and was running in a very strange way but still finished only 1 minute outside my course pb from 5 years ago so pleased with that image

Lovely to see Helly en-route and to chat to One Blue Leg who doesn't post on RW much any more.  We ran together for a while in what was her 192nd marathon.  That in itself is remarkable but even more so when you hear that the last time I saw her was at Abingdon marathon in 2009 when she was running her 100th!!!!

SDM, congratulations on your 100.  Excellent!

Hope to see some of you at Beachy later in the year image