Options

Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    Dubai Dave wrote (see)

On the plus side Mrs DD now knows about Outlaw and I have a gate pass! Secretly training for a IM was not easy so pleased to be outed for the last 6 weeks.

Now that's impressive - keeping it secret for so long image Glad Mrs DD is on board though now - must make it a tad easier image

Oh dear Dustboy image you're not having the best of times are you....

• Options

Well I managed to keep it quiet as a) I have trained 10 -12 a week for years b) Mrs DD knew I was doing Marshman c) I don't think Mrs DD has ever really considered just how far I can cycle in 5 hours!

I long ago discovered that I could a) change bikes at will as long as they were Black and b) change wheels as long as they say Zipp on the side. God help me if the bike colour changed though, the kids always notice but their sworn to secrecy.

• Options

Just brilliant DD image

Well I am truly on the injury train image My ankle is slowly getting better but I cannot run yet at all and still feel pain walking up and down stairs... but now after a longish ride at the weekend my knee is truly buggered! Not sure what the problem is but it is so tight on the front of the kneecap and painful. Did 10 minutes on the Turbo this morning before realising the pain was a sign to STOP. Will see what the physio says tomorrow when I go to see him tomorrow.

2012 really is not my year!

• Options

Doesn't look that way GB!

Just to join you though, it seems that when I fell over running at the weekend I cracked a rib.  Or at least they feel exactly the same as they did when I broke one a few years ago.  It's manageable on the bike, tolerable running (well, IM pace running anyway) and I'll find out today if it affects swimming.  Hopefully nothing beyond discomfort, but I could do without it at this stage.

• Options

LOL DD - you'd best hope then that Mrs DD doesn't read this thread!!

Oh dear GB image  Well look at it this way, you'll have a great swim and a great bike (could the knee be strained from compensating, even subconciously, for the ankle?) and then you'll have plenty of time to pootle very gently on the run and in the meantime those of us somewhat less talented in the splash and wobble departments will at least get your company on the plod bit image

• Options

Oops sorry C Dave - didn't mean to ignore you there image, sympathy for you aches and pains too!

• Options

I am thinking it is certainly possible...it was done on my first ride without wearing tape to supprort it and my ankle was hurting during the ride... so it is certainly possible i was changing my technique ever so slightly which over a few hours became a real problem.

No riding either at the minute though... this could be one expensive 75 minute swim!!!

• Options
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Doesn't look that way GB!

Just to join you though, it seems that when I fell over running at the weekend I cracked a rib.  Or at least they feel exactly the same as they did when I broke one a few years ago.  It's manageable on the bike, tolerable running (well, IM pace running anyway) and I'll find out today if it affects swimming.  Hopefully nothing beyond discomfort, but I could do without it at this stage.

And just what is IM pace for you're running?? image

Good luck swimming tonight!

• Options
    slimshady wrote (see)

Gosh Max I thought you were 30!   image

Melds - what sportive are you doing this sunday?

The Pearson one ...starts in Surrey somewhere?  (forecast is still dodgy)

I hope these injuries are not contagious, GWS guys!

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Ah, good luck Meldy - it's a bit far to travel for me this weekend.

Hope the injuries heal soon GB and CD.

I cracked two ribs a few weeks out from IMUK in 2010.  I found swimming very painful and decided not to aggravate the injury by swimming again until the event.  On the day it was fine with only a small dull ache and I found i was as slow as ever  image

• Options

Slim you are not wrong ... just checked the mielage and its nearly 60 miles for me !   I could quite easily talk myself out of this one !!

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

Goes past my house on the way back and within spitting distance of Gladys, if you felt so inclined. image

• Options

Swimming was OK - fortunately the pain is just down to breathing hard and not aggravated by the swimming stroke.  I'm due a slightly lighter weekend anyway, and it'll be fine by race day.

IM run pace is (hopefully) somewhere around 7:15/mi, GB.  Assuming I don't overcook the bike like I did at Outlaw last year. image

• Options
    Swim this morning for me, about 3.5k. Did the hagley 10k last night as part of the west midlands mod week series. Hilly and off road, haven't run that hard for a while, full on blowing by the end. 40min57sec. Pleased with that considering terrain, even sandy at one poi.t!
  • Options

IM run pace is (hopefully) somewhere around 7:15/mi, GB.  

No one told me it was down hill with roller skates available image

• Options

You're a dark horse, ajf. A 64-min distance pool swim and 41 min 10k splits..... despite the terrain? 

In best pirate sandbagging fashion, it might be a good time for you to tell us you're "rubbish on the bike".

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

Goes past my house on the way back and within spitting distance of Gladys, if you felt so inclined. image

I believe Gladys is partaking so I shall be able to spit at him for as long as I can keep up which wont be long  image

slowerthanilook wrote (see)

You're a dark horse, ajf. A 64-min distance pool swim and 41 min 10k splits..... despite the terrain? 

In best pirate sandbagging fashion, it might be a good time for you to tell us you're "rubbish on the bike".

and I am here to tell you he most certainly is not ... !!

• Options

Bleedin' nora image

LOL - I think you've been outed AJF image

• Options

I can't be arsed to look back, but I think AJF had a handy run time at Marshman.

I also notice he's in GB's AG, and so should be playing with crayons and drinking heavily into the wee hours instead of training to beat us lot. image

• Options

I've been drinking heavily into the wee small hours recently, but haven't combined it with crayons. Is that the secret formula for achieving a sub-10 finish? Hang on a mo.... I'll dig out the Crayola and a bottle of Cinzano image.

• Options
    Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

I have still not received payment from the following people

Capt Jack x2
    Dubai Dave x3
    Hope x2
    Orca x 2
    Razor51 x4
    Silent Assassin x2

That means I am £24.75 out of pocket and I cannot afford to be.  If I don't get payment by the end of Friday, I shall be offering them out to people on the reserve list.

Please bear in mind that you put your name on the list and that made the order reach the minimum level of 100.  Because it reached that level, I took you at face value and paid for these personally, expecting to receive payment or at least be told subsequently that you no longer require them.  I am therefore rather annoyed to be left in this position and I am sorry to say that all future orders will now require payment up front and this may incur delays for everyone else.

• Options

image Whats the payment for? If some have dropped out and if it's something nice and shiny might be interested in taking of the fairies hands?

Podds: feel the fear, do it anyway wrote (see)

Bleedin' nora image

LOL - I think you've been outed AJF image

image Chuffing chuckle borthers. *thud*

• Options
    Shmunks if its for tri tops/monacos/tankinis or whatever they are bleedin calledimage and they are large with bits for stowing ladies top bits Flowerpower may be interested in one to save her borrowing some ones

No training again tonight off for more culture tonight its Henry V i am determined to stay awake throughout this one image

Nice early morning swim in the very warm hotel pool may be a little temperature differnce to Padarn on Sunday!!
  • Options

Sorry .. post from Schmunks was for Pirate stickers for those that ordered

• Options
    I suposse Flowerpower could run topless and preserve her modesty with strategically placed pirate stickers ( i wish i hadnt said this because if you knew FPs propensity for getting her kit off in public.......:-0
  • Options

Max I think you may well havedug your hole previously ... would you like me to fill it in for you?!!

• Options

imageimage

On another note, it's still too cold for OW, even at 15deg. Hand like monkey claws, and burnt in the shower as I couldn't feel the scalding water. image

• Options

Next weeks forecast is up to 20degs!!!   Its nearly summer  image

• Options
    Some peeps down here swim in the sea all year round and some of those of those peeps dont own wetsuits image

Melds Flowerpower is one of those continental types with continental habitsimage
  • Options

Good on you Cat for getting in there, I would still like to be getting my face wet to build my confidence.

I missed my running all this week to give this infernal achilles injury a chance to get better.  I know I can run a race on it if I get to the start line, but I don't want to chance the risk of hurting it before even arriving. 

I'll just take whatever the dip in training gives me.