Options

Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Pizza... perfect recovery food.

Well done on the ride Saffers

I managed just over 50 today folowing on from 200-mtrs pool swim last night. Legs were fine I just ran out of time. Thats the problem with not listening to the alarm clock.

• Options

Long ride binned today, spent most of it laid up with migraine, surfaced about an hour ago. Boo. Might try tomorrow if feeling less "bruised".

Think I might have seen Cat5 out on TT bike over Crowthorne way.

Well done on century Saffers.

• Options

DD, you are a dark horse! I couldn't keep it quiet to save myself.

We were staying on Yas Island. Up at stupid o' bleeding clock for long rides yesterday and today - 200k in total, plus a bit of plodding action. I'm pleased with some solid miles in the bank image but 4.30 am is a bloody horrible time of day to go cycling - and even at that, it was roasting by 8am. Bah! I feel jet lagged now. I'd rather be in the UK dealing with rain and hail.

• Options

Nice one Saffers! I'm binning OW swimming until it warms up. I still need to get the distance in rather than prove I can freeze in a lake.

DB did see me limping home painfully. 5hrs, ~85 miles. I woke with a headache from dehydration (too much tea/coffee yesterday, not enough water). Still have headache. Stopped for an ice-cream at a hot Hampton Court then struggled home. I'm sure today's ride has some positives somewhere, and I'll work them out tomorrow on the run. At least it's done now! Chiltern Hundred next week image

AJF - impressed with that puncture!

• Options

Well done Saffers and Cat, I feel your pain.

PUP you are also racking up the miles, hot ones.

Also my first ever 100 mile ride today.  I finished at the beach with the intention of wading into the cold water and soaking up the recovery.

Wife decided to bring the dogs down in the car and promptly got the bloody car stuck in the soft sand.  So instead of a paddle I spent the next hour digging my car out. 

I'm completely buggered now and I hope that is down to the extra post bike exertion otherwise I'm going to really struggle in 6 weeks.

I'm strangely envious of the ice bath Saffers as I didn't get to work on my achilles/calf.  I'll ice it later when I can be arsed.

• Options

Oh dear VT !!   That is quite funny   image

I would have let her dig her own car out   image

• Options

I'm sure it built up some muscle, VT! Nightmare though.

• Options

PuP Yep it was hot on Friday. 

Will swim at lunchtime, tired from staying up half the night to watch Chelsea.

• Options
    Good training going on everyone

Woke up to lovely morning here in Snowdonia but yesterday the race organisers were talking about shortening the swim because of the water temperature image

Just getting stuff ready for the off

Flowerpower is looking remarably relaxed this morning image
  • Options

I'm afraid I'm out image

My achilles is not going to get better by doing 100 mile bike rides or running 14/15 miles the follwing day.  I haven't ran properly for a couple of weeks now and all I'm doing is holding my recovery back or doing long term damage.

I awoke this morning and there is no way I could run on it so made the decision I should have made 3 weeks ago.

Good luck to all those carrying on and especially to the first timers who have helped spur me on.  I'll meet you all some other mad weekend.

• Options

Sorry to hear VT'd! We all want to convince you to keep the cycling up then do the run on the day.
    But we have all been injured at some point and come back too early, causing more issues.

It takes a strong person to make the decision you have. Good luck.

• Options

Sorry to hear that VT'd. Must be a hard decision and one only you can make. Good luck with the recovery.

I managed 16.5miles today in 2hr 15min. Felt knakard after yesterdays ride but after loading up on some breakfast and Maom sweets I headed out the door. Felt ok for the whole run and could have continued at that pace but just feel generaly pretty tired.

6 weeks....

• Options
    spongecakespongecake ✭✭✭

Gutted for you VT'd,Good decision,no point making yourself worse.Good luck with the recovery

• Options
    spongecakespongecake ✭✭✭

Put a new chain on the bike last night,30 mile on the bike 1hr 40 which I was pretty happy with.

• Options
    VtD so gutted for you but a wise decision

Well Slateman cracked superb v tough race lake was cold but very happy with a 3 hour 2 min ish race and 56 min run on a ultra hilly 11k

Flowerpower had a tres bon race coming in arouns 3:40 ish she is getting caster allvthe time
  • Options

VT'd.......Gutted for you mate, It's took me couple of weeks to to fully come to terms with the fact I wont be there competing. Hope you will be able to make it to Nottingham at the feed station.

• Options

Thanks all, I wouldn't be one to sit about and feel sorry for myself so I got cracking on with my OW swimming instead lol.  Got 1/2 hour notice to be at the car park and ready so no time to think of a valid excuse.

1200m in a cold river was a tester for me but I wanted to prove to myself that I could get my face wet and cold and still manage to swim properly.   Took me 100m to get down to it but when I did I loved every aspect of it.

Not sure about making it over Razor, the cost of the ferry is over £250 plus fuel.  That would go well towards funding for an event.  But I will route for you all and will look forward to the reports (no, not the race ones lol).

As an aside, everyone at the OW swim (all IM male and female) told me not to make any decisions on withdrawing until the last moment.  Thoughts?

• Options

VT'd noooooooooooooooooooooo don't you bliddy pull out.  Give it some thought.  You know I am in the same boat and worked out this morning that I have not run for 7 weeks!!!  100m on the bike too yesterday and yep, the achilles is a little sore but not limping sore and definitely not up for a run on it and when I do run on it, I know it will only be a short run.

I am banking on my swim/bike fitness to get me to the finish line and if I cannot run for a few months afterwards then so be it.  I know it's a hard decision to make to pull out but I think just stick with the good biking and swimming and look after the achilles.  Do strength excercises for it. Ice it when you have to.  I am using rock tape, whether it helps or not I don't know but if it might....then I'm aving it.  Half of me thinks that I am nuts to be doing IM and not having run but it's nuts to even be doing IM, or so my friends say.  I've never run more than 17m and intend hammering the bike and then do what I can and run/walk/hobble the run.  It's a personal thing but just don't make the decision too quickly.

An hours swim this morning for me and 2 hours on the bike.....legs feel surprisingly good although they weren't keen on the kick section of the club swim. image

• Options

Er, so training ths weekend consisted of a one mile run, broken in two. Hope this glitch doesn't affect things too much. Yes, that's a wibble.

FWIW Saffers & VT'd, did both of my maras on a couple of 9/10 miles training runs. No, it wasn't good prep, but it got me round.

• Options

Good to see a few pirates at the Pearsons 150 today.  A late decision to do it, based on "see if it's raining in the morning" after friends round for dinner left at 12:30 am.  5 hours sleep later, dose up on painkillers and off I go.  The ride down to Brighton was good, the headwind coming back wasn't, especially over the Dyke.  Missed a turn as well, which was a numpty mistake on home turf.  102 miles in all, with that mistake and the ride to and from the start.

What's rock tape saffers?  Is it that blue sandbagging stuff that hard-core triathletes put on to make everyone think they're injured? image

VT, the only reason for not leaving the decision until later is that you might still get some of your entry fee back.  I don't know the Ts & Cs though.

• Options

Nice one RBM.

Same here AJF. Legs were not as tired as last week, strangely. ~15mi in 2:15, again with 9/1 run/walk. I ran to the in-laws before heading out to a christening. I had to add on some extra miles and a few hills as overestimated the time it would take to get there. I could have gone faster, but didn't want to do the extra distance.

I think the kick session the other week =made last Sunday's run hard. Along with the turbo session that week too.

• Options

It's pink actually image as couldn't get yellow. image  Nice miles CD.

• Options

Dustboy, quit ya wibbling....that's my thing. image

• Options

Saffer's I think the only thing that'll keep me going is in your comment.  I am just really this far just to keep up with Cat's training points.  What, you didn't know that Cat? image. (I wouldn't be able to beat you on the day so it was the next best I could do, secretly image)

When I felt I had injured my achilles it was at the same time as yourself.  I am useless at making firm decisions, I am a male after allimage.  It was your determination that pulled me along.  Now I have held back my withdrawal and I'll see what happens.  If it was three weeks down the line I'd feel better as my taper would take care of the needed rest.  But I should be working on some sort of peak and that is frustrating for me.

I'll see what tomorrow brings.

• Options

Hello again Cheerful Dave!!   You were just leaving as I pulled in to the carpark ! (and I expect home before we hit Brighton)   image
    That was a tough old ride, first 45 or so was great ... taking us right though the middle of town not so I dont think and the ride home was a very taxing route !!!

VTd .. as a long term sufferererer of Achilles issues I think you need to start keeping a diary of 'pain' , if you are able to bike comfortably and can swim ok (no pushing off the walls!!!!) then I would possibly give it a go, make sure you are doing your strengthening exercises ALL the time, be prepared to do a run/walk on the day - start with the ratio and stay with it, I dont know your run style but you need to keep it short and sharp and take as much pressure of the achilles as you can.   I would say if the biking and swimming are not making it worse then a finish is possible.
    Sorry, just to go on a bit, NO standing in the pedals on the bike, no pushing off the walls in the pool, DO do your exercises and as and when you can (knowing you are a boy) wear a shoe or a trainer that has a bit of a heel or buy gel heel pads to take the pressure off  image

• Options

oh and Dave .. saw the sign outside your gaff on the way back in .. ace   image

• Options

VT'd soooo glad to hear it and listen to Meldy.....she knows what she's talking about.  I am religious with my exercises. No standing on hills unless it's a hill that I will fall of the bike unless I do.  Out with the coach on Friday and he was shouting at me to stand....I shouted back in my lady like fashion that I was NOT standing whatever!!!!

Just try and stay positive and work on those extra bike and swim sessions that you can get in.  The stronger on the bike the better to give yourself extra time to hobble with me on the run. image

Well done Meldy on the big miles.  I rode through Brighton yesterday and the lights were a nightmare.  Go get some crabbies and knock the coffee on the head. image

• Options

Thanks Meldy, I don't think anything will be gained by sending a withdrawal e mail this early.  Might save a few quid, but I'd loose a lot more besides.  Feels superb after the OW swim, couldn't run on it but doesn't feel sore.  I have a foam roller for the upper calf and that tens to help with the 'tight spots' followed by stretches and ice, lots of it.

I never really need to lean on people, but there is always measured advice here.

• Options

Saffers, I hate towns and cities for cycling I am not a confident cyclist and that was just horrid .... !!

VT as a matter of interest .. why do you say you couldnt run on it?   Is it painful even sat around, painful to touch or painful to walk??  Doing nothing with achilles is almost as bad as doing too much, its a very measured approach

• Options
    It was a bit makeshift Melds, but I hoped it would amuse.