Options

Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Options

OK weekend for me

Friday night turbo 45 mins 4 mile run

Saturday day off - family stuff and I absolutely loved it

Sunday called into work, so cycled in and then carried on, 82 hilly miles, got caught in rain right at the end, did 67miles on only fluid so stopped for a pasty, struggled to get going again, some big bad hills in that ride.

Razor PM me your address for Saturday

And I have a Monaco you can borrow

• Options

Finally did some running over the weekend. I'm amazed at how much fitness it's possible to lose in 6 weeks.

• Options

I have been doing a lot of swimming and some biking, but not much in way of running.  Stepped up a little bit over this weekend though with breezy 70 mile solitary bike ride on Saturday and 15 mile LSR yesterday.

Previouly injured calf/achilles is a bit tight today so lots of stretching going on and a visit to physio planned.  I have a half IM on Sunday coming, and then it's back to mostly running for a couple of months.

I'm still not confident that I'll be capable of tackling (sp?) Lanza 2013.  That lack of belief is very unlike me and I hope I might be imagining that it is a lot worse than it is.  I don't know.  Maybe it will be even worse than I think.

• Options

Hey everyone, 

Was just wondering if anyone else is doing the Big/Little Woddy next week? Or if anybody has already completed it and has any tips for it? Starting to get a little nervous now, the longest I have completed is 50mile bike in 4hours and 8mile run in 1.45 - my running is slow but steady at the moment gonna keep it like that I hope lol! Any help/advice would be much appreciated...

• Options
    Razor51 wrote (see)

So up to now  we've got,

Razor
    Horse
    SA
    Mrs SA
    B/Burn Plodder
    Mr B/Burn Plodder (possible)
    Cake

So we are looking to to start around 1pm Saturday from my house, are we riding in Pirate kit? .. if we are can anyone lend me a L or XL Monaco.

Looking forward to this tomorrow

• Options

I have had to pull out of tomorrow's ride (family stuff), I'm gutted image. Hope you all have a great time.

I went for my own "hilly" ride last night to make up for it.

3 miles into the ride,I got a puncture. My tyres/wheels are really stiff and difficult to get on and off. It took me 40 minutes on the road side to finally change my tyre. So I lost quite a lot of time and had to cut my ride short as I had gone out without lights. Managed to get 25 miles in before it was starting to go dark.

Tackled my nemisis of a hill (it's called Jeffrey Hill and I hate it image). Despite my best efforts, I ended up walking the steepest section yet again. Aahh well, maybe one day I'll get up without walking..........image

I popped into my lbs this morning, he says that if I take my wheels down to him he'll have a look at what tyres, wheel rims, etc  I've got on. It should not be taking me 40 minutes to change a tyre. 

And it's not cos I is a girl !! I could manage it in 5 minutes on my old bike!!

Have fun tomorrow imageimage

• Options

Probably a steel-wired bead on the tyres BB. Unfortunately some rim/tyre combos can be a right pain.

I have kevlar beaded tyres now, and when the air is removed from the tube they almost fall off the rim.

• Options
    Stubby 7 wrote (see)

Hey everyone, 

Was just wondering if anyone else is doing the Big/Little Woddy next week? Or if anybody has already completed it and has any tips for it? Starting to get a little nervous now, the longest I have completed is 50mile bike in 4hours and 8mile run in 1.45 - my running is slow but steady at the moment gonna keep it like that I hope lol! Any help/advice would be much appreciated...

Check out andy holgs book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cant-Swim-Ride-Run-Triathlon/dp/1848187432 Sure him or someone else who did it will be around in a bit through.

image Girls and gems afraid i can't make this weekend now got to move someone on short notice so will be lugging box's around into and out of van's all weekend. Good news is it's a white van so can eat bacon buttie's and read the sun as I'm doing it.

• Options
    Stubby 7 wrote (see)

Hey everyone, 

Hi Stubby,  one or two are doing it who post on this thread and should be along at some point.

I did it last year. The swim is fantastic drafting is made easy with crystal clear water and is my fastest swim to date. The bike is tough with plenty of hills but with some major at times scary descents. The run is undulating on pleasant trail paths.

All the best

• Options
    Me, Flowerpower and Slimshady are the pirates i know doing it
  • Options

Great afternoons riding with Mrs SA, razoe and Horse, cheers guys, really enjoyed it

• Options

Just back from a camping trip in sunny Cornwall image  That A30 makes the M25 look good image

How's your training for next weekend Max?  I've ate burgers and pasties for the last week with no training so should be fine image

• Options

114 miles today and 5,000 feet of vertical. End of a really good couple of weeks with 3 century rides through the mountains in the last 13 days. no battery left in my puter, or my legs. off to bed!

• Options

Good training Slower. Very impressive. Both you and SA sound like you're on target.

• Options

Sounds like you folks had a good bimble around Bolton. Good training for you, SA..... and the 82-miler. How're you feeling overall, mate?

Plodder - +1 what Cat5 says on your wheels/tyres. I live in dread of a p*nct*re with the cheap, carbon clinchers I bought. But it was much, much worse before I changed from Continental Tri tyres to Schwalbe Ultremos. Nothing against the Conti's (which pimped my bike really nicely) but the schwalbes are much more flexi to get on and off. And if you have cheap tyres... they're probably 'orrible.

I reckon things are taking shape for me now with 4 weeks to go to Tenby. Three 100-mile + rides in the last 13 days, all with over 1,500m of climbing. Averaged 16.6 mph on yesterday's tough ride, so I should be cool to beat the cut-offs. No injuries. More focus on a couple of race specific bricks and runs over the next 2-3 weeks before I taper. Still dreading the race, but every race I've ever done has been an unpleasant experience. Does anybody out there actually enjoy races?

• Options

82 miler was OK

40 miles yesterday, sheep house lane was good, not sure about doing it 3 times for IMUK, but there was one climb that even though it was short it was so steep and I was the only one from our group of 5 not to have to walk.

18 mile run done this morning, just about to go for an easy swim, but that will be my last long run.

Have got 3 days off work this week.

I have 2 hilly 100 mile rides and a diy half IM planned over the next 2 weeks then into taper.

I'm feeling pretty good and like I might actually be able to complete this.

looks like your going to nail it STIL

My tyres need replacing, anyone got any recommendations for a race tyre?

• Options

fantastic training going on!  I've felt a bit of a loose end this year doing my IM so early but I dont think I trained so hard as you lot image

I use Conti GP4000s as my tyres and find them great

• Options

SA - I use Schwalbe Ultremo ZX (like Slower). I wouldn't use them for day-today though. A bit delicate.

• Options

Currently got bontrager on which I have to say are a good all round tyre but want something a bit more race specific.

• Options

very impressive training going on , looks like you are all ready to nail IM Wales 

• Options

I have IM Wales envy image Really chuffed training is going well for those entered.

I love Schwalbe tyres,They look brilliant with coloured stripes and are so easy to get on and off in the event of a puncture. I had a back wheel puncture at Outlaw and lost less than 20 mins (I know that is still crap but I was chuffed)

• Options

Thanks for the encouragement, folks..... but I reckon the reality is that IM Wales is going to nail us image. Great work SA. Those two hilly centuries should be just the job. The Ultremo ZX are nice. Not as sexy looking as a Conti tyre but a heck of a lot easier to change.

Interesting what you say, Slim. I've felt it tough to be one of the few doing their race at the very end of the season after everybody else got "up for it" earlier on. It's felt a little isolated.

A very heavy-legged, 6-mile, recovery trot tonight to finish my week. 16 hours logged, with not a bit of "junk". I never trained anything like this last year. Hope it pays off image!

• Options

STIL can you get over here one day?

I have a ride, macclesfield to buxton, then buxton to Ashbourne, Ashbourne to leek, which has a hill a hill that climbs for 2 miles at a steep gradient, if you can do that then Wales can't throw anything worse at you, then leek to macclesfield stopping of to climb Rujard lake.

I have also never trained like this before, it better be worth it

• Options

I'll have a look at diary, SA, but I doubt it. I'm away for the next two weekends with the family, so I'm going to struggle. I might be riding past your way on the 2nd Sept on the way over to Nottingham for a party. If it makes sense for you to do some of that route too, then it's be great to hook up.

Your ride also sounds far too horrible, mate image.

• Options

Awesome training guys, you are both so going to nail it image.

I am definitely going to sort out my wheels/tyres. I have just got the cheapies that came with the bike, so this is probably the route of the problem. The owner of my lbs is on holiday for the next couple for weeks, but as soon as he gets back, I'll get his advice and sort them out.

Did Clitheroe sprint tri yesterday. It's a tough course, 400m pool swim, 30km hilly bike and 6.5km trial run. I beat my time from last year, taking 15mins off the bike leg, so well pleased with that. Run and swim times about the same, give or take.

Mr plodder completed it too, his first ever tri. he loved it and can't wait to do another, but did say how hard he found running off the bike. I think a few brick sessions may be required.

• Options
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

STIL can you get over here one day?

I have a ride, macclesfield to buxton, then buxton to Ashbourne, Ashbourne to leek, which has a hill a hill that climbs for 2 miles at a steep gradient, if you can do that then Wales can't throw anything worse at you, then leek to macclesfield stopping of to climb Rujard lake.

I have also never trained like this before, it better be worth it

imageimage What the hell Q thats not a training ride that's something you need the lord of the rings music in the background to do. Well done mate. image

• Options

Nice work, Mrs P. Many happy memories of Clitheroe and the brilliant countryside around there.

On the basis that you haven't mentioned that you beat your other half.... ought we to assume the worst???? image

• Options

Of course I won image, faster in all three. He didn't mind me beating him in the run and swim, but he was a bit pee'd off I did a faster bike time.

Clearly I'm not admitting it to him, but it was probably closer than he thinks, I think he faffed a fair bit in transition, and the timing mats were arranged such that both transitions we included in the bike time, but I'll leave him to figure that out for himself image

Overall 2hrs 12mins for me, 2hrs 24mins for him imageimage

• Options

Go bb plodder, great time and good win over Mr P.

• Options

Tee hee, I must admit, it felt good.

OW swim for me tonight. I'm going to concentrate on trying to swim in a straight line, it's not something I can do yet without the bottom of a pool to follow imageimage