Options

Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    We did have cake n coffee tho so not all beasting image
  • Options

A brief race report for anyone considering this race in future years!

I really don’t think you can knock this race.  We arrived in the beautiful countryside near Lydney on the Friday afternoon and pitched the ‘Shady’ tent making full use of the free camping.  Registration was a very laid back relaxed affair in a marquee tent with benches and straw bales to sit on!  Off then to the national Dive Centre to rack the bike and stare with some trepidation at the old slate quarry which boasted as being the deepest dive location inBritain!  Apparently the orange buoys which dot the surface of the quarry mark the locations of such things as double decker buses, aircraft etc…I just hoped I wasn’t going to see any of them!

The Pasta party was great – held in the adjacent craft centre and as much food as you could eat. We then returned to the tent and listed to the sudden squally showers outside.  A  tin of Worthingtons made everything seem better and I prepared for the 0730hrs swim start in the morning.

In the morning the whole shady tribe got a lift in one of the minibuses which left every 10mins for the Dive Centre. When we arrived we sat in the Dive Centre canteen which overlooks the quarry and which was serving hot drinks, food and a large TV.  I don’t think I’ve ever had a more plush waiting area before an event!  We watched as the Big Woody entrants set off at 0630hrs and then an hour later it was our turn to enter the water.  Despite my slight nerves at swimming in such deep water it simply didn’t bother me and the water was incredibly clear and blue.  I know my swimming is very weak and something to work on in the winter but I enjoyed the two laps around the quarry and left 12 people ( out of 90) still in the water as I clambered out.  It was then into some old trainers and a 700 meter run (walk/shuffle) up the track and back to T1.

Iron Min was helping to organise everyone and she whisked away my bag giving me encouragement  as I set out for what is described as a ‘rolling but not extreme’ bike!  After about a mile I heard some screaming behind me which seemed to be getting louder.  I was about to jump off my bike and hide when I caught the words ‘hurry up daddy’ mixed in with the noise.  A minibus then drew level with my two little ‘angels’ taking it in turns to stick their faces out of the side window and scream at me to ‘get a move on daddy’.!  Suitable chastised/motivated I gave it a bit more umph and hurtled out around the bike course which was exactly as described.  The recent heavy rain had made some parts a bit tricky with red sand across the road and there were definitely some upflats which had me creaking on the pedals.  Two memorable descents where I absolutely flew down the road for what seemed miles really stood out for me together with some stunning countryside

• Options

I rolled into T2 after about 3hrs 5mins and was just glad that I wasn’t doing another loop with the Big Woody entrants.  My bike was taken from me by ‘Vince’ a tritalker who has a great sense of humour and then I quickly changed with a marshal helping to pack my bag !  I was worried about the run after the wheels had come off so badly at ‘The Outlaw’ and I set off with some trepidation.  As usual my lower back hurt with every step and my shoulders felt tight.  Running just felt wrong and I thought ‘here we go again’.  But I just kept a very steady pace and knew I had to do three laps of the out and back course.  I began to ease a little bit but the run was mostly uphill and was very tough going.  I focussed on the moment and just forgot about the distance left to do and it became a bit easier.  It was a tough run route but I am really glad to say that ran all of it bar one steep hill which I power walked up on every lap – along with most other entrants.  I actually ran the last lap quicker then the first two – so a negative split – very pleased with that!

I finished the race to applause from the 30 or so people at the end and received a nice medal and great beanie hat with the ‘Little Woody’ on the front.  There was great food and drinks available in the marquee and I sat on a straw bale with a cup of tea and a bacon roll and could not have been happier!

We all then waited at the finish for Stubby 7 from the forum whom we had met the day before and who had come on his own to tackle his second ever triathlon.  He duly arrived and I was really pleased for him. It was a tough event – definitely at least as hard as Bala if not a bit tougher and Stubby had toughed it out after a hard swim and an overall hard event.

Final thoughts.  I really want to see events like this survive. The triathlon world will be the poorer if we only have corporate branded events in which to compete.  This was triathlon at grass roots level but run by people who really wanted you to have a good race experience and were extremely helpful.  It is not a race to do if you are obsessive about correct distances – the run was short and everything was a bit approximate….. but it was a tough race with great fellow competitors in glorious countryside – what’s there not to like?

• Options
    Nice one Slim makes me wish we had stuck it out with the traffic
  • Options

Another brief-ish report on the ‘Little Woody 2012’!

Being my second triathlon ever I really enjoyed the relaxed, friendly and helpful atmosphere the organisers promoted. Registration was a quick, informal affair leaving more time to find a perfect spot for the tent (campsite was opposite the finish line – perfect for that last collapse) Racking of the bikes was in a separate area but was easily accessible and well arranged. Race briefing was very clear and again fun and informal followed by a very tasty ‘pasta party’!

I had met slimshady and his family earlier and joined them later in their tent for a can of Worthingtons and a chat to quell some of my last minute nerves! Then off to bed for the swim start at 7.30am.

Minibuses were laid on for all the athletes to be ferried to the swim site, where we were able to wait in a very comfy café/canteen (I am reliably assured I have been spoilt with this waiting area) ready for the start. The swim location was fantastic, beautiful clear water with a range of underwater artefacts (which I had time to look for on my very poor swim). I left the water last to the applause of all of the canoeists. It is worth mentioning at this point that the volunteers/orgnaisers/marshalls were fantastic throughout the race, despite me plodding around the course in last place everyone of them offered encouragement, guidance and a general sense of happiness that helped me to carry on. Out of transition and onto the bike and my head was splitting, I seriously considered giving up before putting it down to out of control breathing during the swim and concentrated on calming my breathing and taking in fluids. Luckily enough the headache stopped with my bike computer telling me I was already 15miles into the ride.

The ride was fantastic, lots of hills and some real killer inclines towards the end but on the plus side it had two fantastic downhill descents as well as stunning countryside and villages on the way. The ride came to an end, finally, and I knew then that I would complete the race whatever the run held for me. I rolled into transition where a marshall unloaded my bag and helped pack my cycling clothes away whilst discussing my ‘vibram five fingers’ and the positive/negatives of these. Slimshady’s family were also there cheering me on and giving me encouragement, for which I cannot thank them enough and I set off for the run. For the first mile I thought this was going to be easy as we ran along flat paths, all the while leading us to a set of hills that took us to the turn-around point and then it was back down again. The run went well for me, although it was long, I kept myself hydrated and fed at the two feed stations and kept my spirits high sharing nods and smiles with most of the other runners, all suffering in the same way.

Before I knew it I was on the home stretch, I was quite emotional seeing slimshady and his family at the finish line ready to cheer me home and couldn’t help smiling from ear to ear as I crossed the line. (pleased to be part of the 'pirates') I almost forgot to pick up my medal and hat in all the excitement and could not of been more proud wearing them all the way home…and part of today!

Overall this is a great event, I do not have much to compare it to but thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, organisation and the entire event! I don’t know how relevant this report is for anyone but hopefully it isn’t too boring!

p.s. slim, I’m looking up the Ballbuster right after this!

• Options
    You've both done really well - cant wait until mine now - make sure you take your medal to work ...image
  • Options

Nice report Stubby - maybe I did lie when I told you the Worthington's would assist you the next day!  image

See you at the Ballbuster!

• Options

Thank you purpletrilady and britrisky. What race are you doing by the way? I am definetly going to take my medal into work with me - might even hang it in the staffroom image!

I just entered the Ballbuster Slim! Better get back on the bike tomorrow attacking those hills!

• Options
    I'm doing Rubicon middle distance at Newby Hall near Ripon
  • Options

Sounds good, good luck with it! image

• Options

Jesus, this training's getting tough, isn't it? 16 miles trotted round the lovely Chilterns yesterday, which I'm chuffed about. First long run since I twanged my hamstring, and it felt pretty good. But trying to follow-up with a brick today....image... Oh My God! It's like my feet had been turned into a pair of black holes, with this irresistible gravitational force dragging my fat ass groundwards. Bloody murder. Could barely manage an "I honestly haven't shat myself" shuffle.... and I'd only done 22 miles on the bike.

Nice work fellas on getting through the Lil Woody. Fair play to you. Fair play too Q & Nobby for getting in a lumpy hundred. I was kind of hoping you'd both slack-off and make me feel a bit better. Not long to go now. Can almost see the sea!

• Options

Who let you in to the Chilterns ??  image

• Options

Funny STIL, your descriptions are always articulated in the way that I think but can't write. 

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

Very pretty round there, isn't it? Thanks for letting me sully your woods image. Deer, kites, buzzards, posh folk riding bikes in tweeds. Jolly nice.

Cheers, Davey! When are we going to see your happy smiling face over this side next, mate?

• Options
    Good work STIL.I got in a 16 mile run yesterday thats my last long run i think. I imagine you will be well ahead of me on the bike with all those long training miles behind you.Doing the manchester 100 this weekend and then taper image
  • Options

terrible weekends training

Saturday was wedding anniversary so got a night out to celebrate.

note to self don't try a half IM after a night out

Sunday wanted to do a half IM, swimming went ok 41 mins, T1 ok 5 mins, bike got to 29 mile and puncture, trying to fit new innertube with rain pissing down, and pump doing nothing but blowing out water, managed to get new tube in and half inflated, but cut the ride short to 30 miles, t2 ok 4 mins, run started off ok but as rain had no stopped and sun come out core temp started to go through roof and with last night starting to tell, only managed 6 miles.

After I finished I realised just how much I have had enough and just want this to be over (happens ever year a few weeks before event)

Starting again today

not sure if to do the Manchester 100 on sunday or my own hilly 100??????

• Options

Hi Q. Congrats on the anniversary, and well done (as always) in balancing training with "real world" priorities image. Sounds like a bummer of a workout but don't get down on yourself. Based on my pathetically limited experience, why not brick next weekend? Your HIM should have been a hard, confidence-boosting brick, but it didn't work out. So maybe trim some distance off your ride and pop another 6-8 miler on the end of it. Don't knacker yourself though, mate. It'll only be 2 weeks before race day ffs!

I'm chilling my ride plan for Saturday. Turns out the party I'm at is in Leicestershire, so 120 miles from home by the shortest route. That would be stooopid. So I'm working on plan B.

And Bobby.... I don't intend to be "well ahead" of anybody by the end of the bike, my friend image.

• Options
    slowerthanilook wrote (see)
    M...eldy wrote (see)

Very pretty round there, isn't it? Thanks for letting me sully your woods image. Deer, kites, buzzards, posh folk riding bikes in tweeds. Jolly nice.

Cheers, Davey! When are we going to see your happy smiling face over this side next, mate?

Not sure when STIL, but I have Lanza to think about and then I'll be looking at a full distance in UK mainland towards the tail end of next season.

That'll be this happy face you are referring to taken at last weeks the Irish middle distance championships.  If I really look like this when I'm happy I'm giving up triathlon. I look like a fecking chimp riding a bike image.

/members/images/654504/gallery/me.jpg

• Options
    No ironman for me next year do i was bored yesterday and looking for a challenge

I haver never run further than a mara so this sounded fun

Signed up and entered image anybody else done this?

http://www.TheWallRun.com/
  • Options

Max - I remember reading a thread on the Ultra Run part of RW site on this last year.  Tiago Hefner 2 who did Bala with us in 2011 did the one day version. I think from memory they all seemed to enjoy it ( in a weird kind of way!)

Bala will fit in perfectly as a warm up for this and give you the excuse to still abuse/advise us on the Long Distance Training Thread 2013!  image

• Options

Nice to see you taking it easy then Max  image

• Options
    I know Melds I am a sucker for punishment image but i said no ironman in 2013 not that i was taking up golf image

it sounds a bit daft but i was getting a bit IM stale as barring pre race injury or in race mechanical i know i will probably crack it, i got this way with marathons a few years back, i am properly cacking myself over this as i usually cant walk next day after a mara so 2 x 34 mile runs is a mega challenge for me i am really fired up to train for this image

Slim i will be looking at a half IM next year funds permitting to keep my hand in i wont rule Bala out but was looking at some of those lake district ones i was going on about a few months back
  • Options

Oh.........I thought you were taking up golf.image

So, you're still going to do a bit of exercise then!  image

• Options
    Just a wee bit image
  • Options

yay - back on the horse with a 30 min run today.

Longest run for 4 months since IM lanza and boy do bits of me know about it.....legs, knees, calves all ok but obviously biking does nothing for certain muscles in my core / groin area... I feel a little broken.

JJ do not spill your whisky again image

• Options

Just checking back in and catching up. My training is bobbling along aimlessly at the moment. I'm managing about 6 hours a week, but it's a bit random image. I need the school holidays to finish, so that we can get some routine back into home life, then I can get my training structured and routine again!

STIL, Bobby Nobby and SA you are all putting in some awesome training. Not long to go now image 

Great race reports slimshady and Stubby, you have definitely "sold" the event to me, sounds perfect for my HIM challenge next year.

Ridgebackmax, 2 x 34 mile runs - you are a nutter imageimageimage

• Options

Morning boys & gals,   about time I showed my mug in here.  Good stuff on the IMW training team,  keep at it (albeit abbreviated for taper!) not long to go now.
    I've done little for the last 2 months apart from put on weight,  finally managed to creep into the next stone bracket so time to do something about it.   Ran this morning which showed that carrying an extra 12lbs of lard around is not the best idea.

Like the idea of that event RBM,  a pal of mine has just run 7 maras in 7 days in each of the main Aussie cities and he was shot to bits at the end of it,  not sure that a flight each day after a marathon is ideal recovery!  Defo not for me at the moment though,  it's going to be shorter and harder for the next 12 months,  trying to regain some long lost speed and ultimately give a quick 1/2 marathon a go in October 2013.  I reckon I can fit some olys & 1/2IM in next year as part of training thoughimage

• Options
    bburn plO.dder wrote (see)

I'm managing about 6 hours a week, but it's a bit random image

Same here. I need to put a plan together for next year. The rest of this year has some filler, but nothing special. Like Jaffa I think I'll top out at HIM next year, but will focus on shorter and faster.

The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
    After I finished I realised just how much I have had enough and just want this to be over (happens ever year a few weeks before event)

I remember that feeling very well at about the same timeframe too. Slower speaks sense. Taper starts soon anyhow. I bet you're looking forward to that last ~2hr bike session.

RBM you are officially nuts.

Good run OC. Take it easy and get it foam rollered.

VT, very impressed that you seem to have carried on in the same vein as DK. Is he bullying you to continue? image

• Options
    SA. Are you doing the wythenshaw 100 on Sunday? me and horse were thinking of doing it.