Options

Walt Disney World Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

C33 - think on the positive side. More time for training !   Joking apart sorry to hear your works dried up. Thats a really pain

• Options

If I get any more cancellations I'll be up with the kenyan and ethiopian runners by the time I get to London next April!!!!!  It could be worse I suppose I was planning to have my holiday to disneyland in January so at least a week and a half was a write off altogether and I've got a bit of time to try to sort something else out.  Just have to hope for snow which is always good for business as folk in posh houses in the country can't get into the scummy bits of the city where I stay and I get to fill their moon boots for a few days!!!!! 

• Options
    C33 what do you do for a living
  • Options

Hi bearsted,

I'm a locum pharmacist.  Its the joys of self employment I'm afraid that you can look really settled and secure one minute and then have bugger all work to look forward to the next.  For most of this year I have worked regular days in 3 or 4 different places and hardly been anywhere else unfortunately 3 days/week most weeks in one of those places is the one coming to an end.  Its always worried me that I was a bit over reliant on that one pharmacy for over half my work and I look like I was probably right to be.  A couple of years ago I could have worked 8 days/week there was so much work around but the longer the recession goes on the less the big companies are booking locums and are taking on more newly qualified kids to cover hols, days off etc.  If you take Boots and Lloyds out the equation there aren't hellish many places left to work unfortunately. image

Hopefully it will work out OK and I will get a more balanced work routine without that one big one in the new year.  If the worst comes to the worst I will have to get a real job and work for one of the big companies again.  A 70h/week for 45h/week pay, entra hastle, not getting holidays when I want them which really limits my running and a big pay cut doesn't hold much appeal.  I will try to resist getting a real job as long as possible I think. image

• Options

C33 - Good luck and I totally agree with you re: the big companies. I am an FD and have always stayed with the small companies as you then have some say in your life. My sister in law is a pharmacist in Scotland and she did what you do for a time but eventually it caught up with her work wise and she nows works for the local Trust within a doctors surgery advising on drugs and running the Whorphorine clinic (or however you spell it). Not quite the flexibility for her but plenty of holidays, flexi-time and all other benefits that go with a govt job.

• Options

Well, I really think I would have enjoyed running the Venice marathon - IF IT HADN'T BEEN FOR THE GALE FORCE HEAD WINDS, RAIN (SLEET OVER THE BRIDGE TO VENICE) AND FREEZING COLD CONDITIONS - THROUGHOUT THE 26.2 MILES!!! image

Ah well, at least I PB'd by 27 mins (but was hoping for better).image

Now to concentrate on Disney! image

• Options
    Goofy - 27 mins PB how do you manage that I would be dead if I did that. Brilliant well done
  • Options

Those sound my kind of conditions Goofy I would have ran like a dream there too.  I am the rainmeister image

Really well done.  Good luck with recovering asap and getting yourself in just as good shape for January. image

I saw the weather was pretty poor in that part of the world.  I was watching the Bayern Munich game on ESPN the other night and it was snowing.  I was in Munich a fortnight ago and was wandering about in a t-shirt.  Its amazing how short autumn is in southern germany and northern italy.  It literally does last a week and then it is well and truly winter.

• Options

Who's glad they entered disney in january in preference to new york this sunday by the way.  The weather looks a bit tasty.  Even me and goofy would struggle to run into that wind for 26 miles!!!!!!! image

• Options

Softy southerner here - I moaned at a bit of a breeze and zero degrees on Saturday. Hats off to you hard nuts up north

• Options

2 years ago freezing temperature for both Disney races and had to de-ice the car on the morning of the runs!

• Options

Thanks everyone.

BP - it wasn't really hard to PB - I've only done 2 marathons before Venice - Athens with achilles tendonitis (and C33 will tell you it's a bit uphill there!) and Disney (with the half the day before and the photo opportunities, etc.).

C33 - I know what you mean in a strange kind of way. The winds were so strong that they did slow everyone down (second slowest finish time ever in Venice for the winner) but you get into a strange sort of 'I just need to get through it and get to the finish as quickly as I can' mentality so it is a consistent, switched off push through everything to the finish. If anyone had told me how bad it was going to be, I would have possibly contemplated not doing it, but I am SO glad I did it now.

New York - not one I really fancy due to the sheer number of entrants, but no, wouldn't fancy more wind! imageimage

Slowfoot - I always pack 2 sets of running clothes - one for freezing conditions and one for hot conditions for Disney after reading about how cold it was in 2010!!! image

• Options

Been bought by disney, I have.  Supporting you at the goofy challenge, will I be.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111008200711/starwars/images/3/31/TPM-CGYoda.JPG

• Options

Hope they put yoda in charge of water stations. I'm sure the force would be more uselful than gatorade!!!!! image

• Options

Only if its served really cold.  I don't like it when its LUKEwarm. image

Is was planning to try to run both races all the way but now I think it may be alright to ewok bits of it. image

• Options

I'm here all week..........................image image

• Options

154 Perfectly Goofy Runners for 2013 !

• Options

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tokyo has just been added to the list of marathon majors.  After London next year the only major I still had to do was Chicago.  Adding a 6th major is just not fair. image

• Options

Not exactly a cheap destination either !!!! 

• Options

The world's most oversubscribed race has just got even more oversubscribed.  300000 applicants in Japan alone for 30000 places and now 1000s of major baggers have been added from overseas. image

I've still to fit marine corp in before I give up too.  This marathon running lark keeps costing more and more money and not getting any closer to finishing. image

• Options
    Take in Disney when you are out there
  • Options

Just bought my disney park tickets.  image

This is the best value site I have found that accepts paypal where I have been saving some money in dollars all year.  Also send you an e-ticket to take to the park gates rather than having to collect from an office/make some secret rendezvous with some random when you get to Orlando.

5 days for the price of 4 base ticket.

http://www.reserveorlando.com/

Its starting to feel real now image

• Options

I can't believe how fast it has come round!!! image

C33 - if you want to borrow some kids to do the Disney stuff with - we have 2! image I make out I do a lot of the things for the kids but secretly I think I enjoy them more than the kids! image 

• Options

In other words do you fancy doing disney stuff while we go to the big rides at Bush Gardens??? image  You may have to give me some time to mull over the pros and cons of that proposition.  On one hand I will look weird on my own but on the other hand I am scared of small children!!!! image

I really need to get back running properly soon.  I've been a right lazy sod and have had pretty stuffed up legs since Munich.  Cold nights and slippy pavements aren't adding to my motivation at the moment. image

• Options

C33 - believe me, it is the other way round! My 9 year old is fearless - there isn't a ride in Florida that he wouldn't go on. image I, on the other hand, much prefer the Disney rides!!! image

No Munich excuses! image 6 days after Venice and I've done a sprint interval session (not by choice - bullied into it at a kids running club!), bike cross training and a reasonably fast (for me!) 3 miles. Find that motivation - 39.3 miles is a long way!!! image 

(Score out of 10 for encouraging / boosting motivation??? image)

• Options

Must have been about a 6 out of 10 for motivation.  I wasn't motivated enough to get out my bed early enough to run a hilly 10 mile race but "ran" a slightly less hilly 12 miler instead.  Hell that was a struggle.  Even the steep freewheely mile felt like a struggle towards the finish. image

As a positive thats how sunday will feel at disneyland so it will be good training for running on dead legs!!!!! image  Well this week I mustered the grand total of 25 miles.  Maybe I should have booked a fortnight to fit 39.3 miles in, image

If I see you on the teacups I won't turn the wheel too quickly.  Wouldn't want to scare you lol image image

• Options

To carry on the star wars theme I was breathing heavier than Darth Vadar for most of my run today lol image image

• Options

image The teacups make me feel sick! image

Much prefer the Aerosmith rollercoaster. image If that was on the marathon course I may consider a detour. image

The 9 year old wants to do Sheikra - there is no way I am doing that (obviously due to the fact that I don't want to strain anything before Goofy image ) - and I don't want him to do it either!!! image 

I hate to think of the mileage you do when you ARE motivated!!! 12 hilly miles is pretty good. I managed another 6 today but it was hard work for the legs.

• Options
    Ha ha had to read that twice. At the 1st look I thought it said your 9 year old wants to do Shakira. Don't we all lol imageimage

Goofy take my definition of "hilly" with a pinch of salt as I'm not a big fan of 'h' words. I class courses with speed bumps as undulating lol.