Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

I did Paris last year: it's a race you kind of have to do, I guess but I prefered Brighton! The crowds aren't as good and it's sooooooooooooo busy.  I spent most of the race being stuck behind people. Also, I queued for FORTY FIVE minutes for the toilet, as there are so few at the start. 

That being said, running past the Eiffel Tower etc is awesome!

• Options
    Mitch - with those times I would say that sub 2:45 is definitely possible. You will destroy 3 hours easily!

I've got 36:03 for 10k and 61:00 for 10m and I'm hoping for sub 2:50.

I'll be in a Winchester vest so look out for me image
  • Options
    Don't forget to trim your toe nails tomorrow at the latest. There, how miscellaneous is that???? image
  • Options
    Mark - I was just thinking tonight I should cut my toe nails!
  • Options

I've ran Paris twice & would definately reccomend it.Comparing it to Brighton i would have to go with Paris, both are very good marathons but the run around the Power Station in Brighton is probably the most drab area i've ever run around.

• Options

think i read some were that the 2014 Brighton marathon was on the 6th of April but don't quote me on that

Swonmaiden came home yesterday so we can all travel down to Brighton on Firday

• Options

All this talk of Paris or Brighton ... do you think they have #lemerge ?! imageimage

• Options

3 Sleeps.....

Last nights was rubbish as it was filled with marathon dream scenes ! Somehow the start moved to 6pm , I forgot to get changed and when I eventually realised I couldn't find my sports bra !image

• Options

Just to confirm that its the 6th april for next years marathon it says it on the back page of the on line printable booklet we all recieved even me and im not running but i am signing up for next year (will be my 4th) brighton ive enjoyed this winter off training but ive been incredibly lazy and ive lacked focus although i have done the odd run

Have a good run everyone and i told you a few pages on this forum ago that the weather would be hot and sunny it always has been....image was 19 first year 25 next year last year was a bearable 15 i believe ,and this year suppose to be 17

Hope you all achieve your golds

• Options
    Both SL & Kerrance, you just made me really chuckle.

I typically struggle with sleep leading upto a marathon. Going to bed early this week has so far helped, although I'm waking up super early. Had originally planned tomorrow off, but heading in just for one meeting now. Almost time!

Is anybody else starting to get random aches and pains they've never suffered before? My right knee, left foot, right shoulder blade etc... Sure it'll be fine.

Thanks...bluebirds... For tip on Paris.
  • Options
    Ryan Snell wrote (see)
    Mitch - with those times I would say that sub 2:45 is definitely possible. You will destroy 3 hours easily!
    I've got 36:03 for 10k and 61:00 for 10m and I'm hoping for sub 2:50.
    I'll be in a Winchester vest so look out for me image

Cheers Ryan, sub 2:50 would be a dream. I was looking to run at 6:29/mile pace so will keep an eye out for the winchester vest. I will have blue Victory vest #242.

• Options
    Looking forward to Sunday. Hoping I can hang in there with sub 3:15 pacers.

First time I'm going to stay disciplined and not go hammering off like in previous marathons

Not looking forward to power station section though. Ruined me last year as so dull
  • Options
    Well, I was looking at 6:30 and then (in a perfect world!!) somehow clawing back the 20secs or so to dip under 2:50!! I'm certain we'll see each other anyway. I'm #352. I presume you're in the Elite start??
  • Options

Just at  thought.....we're staying near the pier which is great for when I finish but on google earth it seems to say a 1.8 mile walk to Preston Park! Not sure I really want to walk that far before the run on Sunday - any ideas from anyone please?

4 mile run very easy pace and in wind and a shower, but felt good.

Tempted by Paris, but is it a ballot entry or can you buy a place? Not kean on doing another charity run for a while (apologies to the charities obviously but too much stress!).

Might do the local one here in Jersey in October though and then perhaps Brighton next year!!! For me, the temptation will be too great to say no on Saturday - I've warned my husband already! image

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    MarkD wrote (see)
    Don't forget to trim your toe nails tomorrow at the latest. There, how miscellaneous is that???? image

LOL - I did mine last week in case I made any mistakes.  How paranoid is that? image

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

You realise toenails grow in the meantime?

OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo! image

Seriously though, I've taken that into account.  Given the average toenail growth of 3mm per month, I took off 0.75mm more than I would have if I had done it today.  It's all in my plan.

• Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭
    Jelleybaby wrote (see)

Just a thought.....we're staying near the pier which is great for when I finish but on google earth it seems to say a 1.8 mile walk to Preston Park! Not sure I really want to walk that far before the run on Sunday - any ideas from anyone please?

The pier to the nearest point of PP is about 1.3 miles, there's not a lot of choice, you'll be walking up the marathon route and the buses are re routed off there from 7am, taxi is possible but the roads get locked down quite early, I'll see if I can find out when, but TBH it's easier to walk - there's always a flow of people walking up to the park so you won't be alone. You could get the train from Brighton to Preston Park, but it probably only saves about half a mile walk so not worth it.

• Options

I do love this thread!!

I went to the hairdressers yesterday to get rid of the grey, despite the fact that I will be wearing a cap and have my hair tied up as well, it'll make me feel good! And it was in my plan!!! image Wonder when I should shave my legs.........

Off to work to stop me worrying about Sunday!

• Options

Last run done! I've got a list of the lists of stuff I need to prepare/pack/remember. Just need to pick up some gels later today and then I think I'm almost sorted.

My dodgy foot is better than last week, but still not right, - hopefully it'll hold up for 26.2 miles.

Probably won't be back on the thread until after the race now - hope you all enjoy it, and achieve your goals.

Have fun!

• Options
    Jelleybaby, it's a really nice walk to Preston park, really friendly, coffee shops open en route for that final caffeine jolt. It's a good opportunity to compose your thoughts, stretch out and start to focus on the race. Atmosphere in the park great too, very chilled.

Brighton still showing 18 & cloudy sunny.
  • Options
    The Green Fairy wrote (see)

Slowly Steadily - when you ran the Eastbourne half were you wearing a black Brighton Marathon tshirt?

No, I am raising money for Clic Sargeant so I was, and will be, wearing my charity vest!  However, these are not the most attractive thing for us girls to wear image

Which corral are you in GF?  I'll keep an eye out for you - at least I'm hoping that the fairy outfit is going to be worn again this time... image

Expo tomorrow - can't wait!

• Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭
    john2443 wrote (see)
    ..... taxi is possible but the roads get locked down quite early, I'll see if I can find out when

Found it, the main road from town to the park is closed from 7am. If you get a taxi, they should know this, but if not ask them to go up Dyke road and drop you at the bottom of Millers Road, near Preston village.

• Options
    GCE (8357 Red) wrote (see)

Brighton still showing 18 & cloudy sunny.

& windy!!!

Should be great weather though for good support but a bit warm and windy for PB maybe.

• Options
    Tenjiso wrote (see)

Seriously though, I've taken that into account.  Given the average toenail growth of 3mm per month, I took off 0.75mm more than I would have if I had done it today.  It's all in my plan.

Wow some people have detailed plans - i barely plan my weekly mileage let alone toenail length!!!! - Attention to detail i guess

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Paul I'm with you - my training never follows a plan and its usually just run where i can - and i usually am all in a rush last minute to get a bag of stuff together. Still no idea what i am running in yet, given the weather it may be the Team GB vest again I used in Berlin last year. Still i have had a racing haircut so i look like an ex-con now, ultra streamlined.

• Options

These websites haven't got a clue about the weather ... on the BBC, it suggests that at 10am, it will be 10 degrees with 17 mph winds ..... on Accuweather, it says it will be 13 degrees with 11 mph winds and 40% chance of showers !

• Options

The low pressure system that is going to bring the winds is still the other side of the atlantic, need to wait 36 hours to see how it tracks.

• Options

Andy same here - its only since looking on this forum again i have realised how un prepared i am compared to everyone else!!!

I have just done Rome marathon 3 weeks ago and so kinda taken my eye of this one.

But i have to say with the exception of Berlin, Brighton is the best marathon!!!! (who needs the colusseum and vatican etc when you have shoreham power station)

• Options

Good grief at this rate I will be a wreck by Sunday morning - nerves are building!  At least as long as I can stumble to the finish line I am guaranteed a PB!