Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

2 x race numbers, marathon bags and goodie bags picked up image

It's absolutely heaving in the Brighton Centre so just did what was necessary and will head back tomorrow to have more of a browse.

Mark D - your windwatch update is it's still VERY windy!

• Options
    Barbie thank you I thinkimage
  • Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭
    Very slow queue for next years entry.
  • Options
    I was one of the first to pre register for next year! Yes I'm in image good luck for Sunday people I will be following on the app but don't forget to log back on here and post your stories image
  • Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

one of my best marathons was on Imodium - terrible trotts in Amsterdam image

• Options

Barbie - how big are the luggage bags??  big enough to take a rucsac??

• Options
    Loving this banter...!! image I hope I find someone to make me laugh on Sunday...!!
  • Options

FB - yes definitely will fit a rucksack in, they seem the 'standard size' ones you get at most marathons.

• Options

OK - ta for that.  easier to carry a rucsac than a plastic bag and just use the bag to put it in for the luggage drop

• Options
    Are you running this year Dave? (FB)
  • Options

aye. and the missus (Petal). running together to celebrate a major calendar milestone

• Options

Couple of question people

When is the quietest time to get number? Last year was hell and there are more people this year to collect.

Is it cheaper if you pre register for next years marathon?

• Options
    Ryan Snell wrote (see)
    A nice little mantra I read this morning...
    'Be confident. Stop thinking. Just run'

Love it!

kerrance - so sorry you've decided not to run this year, Must be a big disappointment - hope your injury heals quickly so you're back out running soon.

Trying to pack here but getting distracted. Lists of stuff to pack, piles of stuff on the floor, but nothing actually in the bag yet......

• Options

Paul W - although the queue to get in the Brighton Centre was massive, registration/picking up number was really quick as there were loads of people working. I was only a couple of minutes from getting to registration to picking up two numbers.

And yes there are early bird prices for early registration for next year.

• Options

Thanks Barbie, from what I remember last year the drive and trying to park was the worst part!

• Options
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    fat buddha wrote (see)

aye. and the missus (Petal). running together to celebrate a major calendar milestone

Well come on, dont keep us in suspense.

our 60th birthdays.  mine was last month, P's in June.  image

• Options
    Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

This week has not gone well (no training at allimage). It is too late to worry about it, but it doesn't stop me doing so!

I feel for those who have had to defer running and hope that they can do another marathon soon.

All the best to everyone, I hope all of us have PBs. I am guaranteed one if I can just finish!

• Options
    Now there's a challenge. Dave and Petal versus Toby and Poohbear. Fastest combined times wins.
  • Options
    GoalpostGoalpost ✭✭✭

Hi there, I feel somewhat of a voyeur lurking on this thread for so long before deciding to post. I am runing my first marathon on Sunday and going for 3h30 having completed by one and only half coasting in a smidge under 1h37 in the Brighton Half in Feb.

I want to say thank you for all the advice and amusing chat you have provided. Quite a lot of useful information and advice. I wish everyone the best of luck on Sunday - I am running in Bib 5244 (RED) in a Parkinsons vest in memory of my Gran who passed away having suffered with the condition for many years.

I think I am being cautiously ambitous for 3h30 and will accept it if the wheels come off at mile 20 and miss my main target as I need to learn for hopefully next time. I am looking forward to this power station bit as I want to feel what marathons are all about.

Good luck once again and above all else enjoy the race.

• Options

Fat buddha - Hat's off to you both!!!!

Awesome achievement!!!! - Well done, i hope i can be that fit when i am 60

• Options

Good luck Goalpost - if you've trained for sub 03:30 then there's no reason why you shouldn't achieve it image Just make sure you don't go off to quickly - I made that mistake in my first 2 marathons and ran shockingly uneven splits! image Stick to whatever your planned race pace is and you should be fine image

• Options
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Now there's a challenge. Dave and Petal versus Toby and Poohbear. Fastest combined times wins.

not racing this one - we are purely doing it for the sheer hell of it - no PB hunting at all.  just going to take it as it comes.

(although I'll be pissed if we aren't finishing in around 4:30...image)

• Options

Goalpost - best of luck!  Just as important enjoy the day.

Thast a tough call with 1:37 half - doable but tough. I wish you all the best - Good mental attitude to power station section!

• Options
    Amazing FB and Mrs FB.

Goal post welcome. I think you may change your mind about feeling the marathon experience if you do go off too fast!! image But it's all worth it when you cross the finish line image
  • Options
    Really good of you to give Dave the benefit of your experience DF3
  • Options
    sleaversleaver ✭✭✭

Starting to get really nervous now and hoping my foot will stand up to the test. I'm going to try and get to the Expo just as it opens tomorrow to get that out of the way.

Does anyone have any last minute tips on the course and any good ways of tackling it for a first time (hopefully) marathon runner?

• Options

Sleaver - as a few of us have previously said in other posts, don't go off too fast, it's so easy to do especially in your first marathon (as I can vouch for!image). Whatever your planned race pace is, stick to it, your body will thank you for it when you get to mile 20....and if you have anything left in the tank then you can always speed up on the home stretch.

The course itself doesn't really though up any shocks - there's a slight hill at the start around Preston Park, and then apart from a slight (but quite long) incline as you head out of Brighton towards Ovingdean, the course is pretty much flat.

I would say, the most difficult thing to contend with this year (if the weather forecast is right) is going to be the wind. It's forecasting quite strong (18mph) southerly winds so although you won't be running into a headwind, it will feel quite strong running back into Brighton from Ovingdean and the final stretch along the seafront.

It sounds cheesey as hell but the best thing you can do for your first marathon is enjoy it image It's a fantastic day and the support and atmosphere is brilliant the whole way round - good luck image