Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

Bob - Yes, I was massively confused for a split second when you showed me your watch as I thought you'd just crossed the line! Glad Notts turned it round in the cricket, Simon Jones was all over them whilst I was watching, pleased for Chris Read especially. Good win for Stags but not the best game, although Northamptons own goal was amazing, lobbed his own keeper from thirty odd yards, worth watching the football league show for! Good win for the pies, maybe they've turned a corner.

Happy Birthday Richard imageenjoy your evening. I think you've made the right decision regarding the marathon! 

• Options

All the best people go to Nottingham University, Richard. Hope you're having a nice birthday. I am drinking some delicious cider in your honour that I got IDed for.

• Options

This thread has developed a strong Nottingham bias. Skinny - have you got any links to Nottingham at all?

Lit - Good work on passing for a 17 year old.

I'm drinking some strong beer (its called hardcore and its about 9%) which is going to make getting up for a run in the morning a bit difficult.

• Options

Stevie - image

Richard - bloody great moment to start supporting Forest! In on the ground floor to a crazy elevator ride to the top of European football. Almost incomprehensible now to think that Pies were actually stronger, and pulling higher crowds when Clough took over at the City Ground two years earlier from (I think?) Tony Brown. Happy birthday - see you on Floor 43 for some extra WAVA points early next year - save me a pInt. image

Tommy - Always celebrate a 3-0! Cobblers are clearly having a stinker of a play-off loss hangover. And yep, a great day for Ready - well deserved. I still maintain he was shabbily treated by England - to his and their detriment for a time, though Prior has clearly now made the spot his own in Test cricket in recent years.

Lit - I'll trump your cheapo cider with my Rioja, currently washing down my (if I do say so myself) utterly splendid risotto. Schluuuuurp. image There's probably a bit of a stalker in all of us BTW. It's only natural to be interested in those you're talking to / reading about. Must be something in the surname though making it so public - are you and that chap from Stevie's thread related? image

• Options

Wowzers. Good running Richard, Mace and Bob. There's some good times comjng in at the moment.

I've managed 20 miles so far this week with no ill effects and planning something around 10 tomorrow. So hopefully, fingers crossed, touch wood,  I'm back in the saddle, so to speak.

Interesting discussion about long runs in marathon training. I'm planning to base mine on hal higdon's (just because the back to back MP/LR over fri sat suit my working arrangements). But that schedule includes 3x20 and only has long runs on alternate weeks. If you are significantly inceasing the number of long runs, do you do them every week, or ramp up the mileage earlier in the programme?

Did another coached session this morning with a load of form drills. Interesting stuff, but my legs are very heavy tonight. Spoke to the coach after the session about marathon training and he espoused doing a lot of the running, including the long run at MP. I'll quiz him more on that next time.

Happy birthday Richard. Sensible choice.

• Options

Tommy - Hardcore? Pfffft. The (Belgian) St Bernardus ale I was quaffing whilst cooking, and before hitting the Rioja, is a 10% beast. It narrowly trumped the 11.3% Rochefort 10 I also eyed up from my beer stash!

• Options

New batch of homebrew isn't ready yet so I'm drinking mrs D's wine tonight. Funny -a bottle usually lasts her a few days.

I like to watch and play football, but generally coulnt care less about teams. But I do tend to feel a bit sad that many of the big northern/midlands clubs from my youth are currently languishing in the championship or worse.

I do believe the mighty Spirites are doing alright this season though. Which is nice.

• Options

Lou - glad you seem to be over your injury. Which Hald Higdon plan are you intending to follow? I used the novice one and it was fine for a get-you-round type plan but wouldn't recommend it if you have a particular time in mind as it hasn't got sufficient mileage in my opinion.

Bob - No it's not on the same level as the Belgian beers, I went to Brussels for the weekend earlier this year and had some absolute crackers, including the Rochefort 10. This is a brewdog beer so very hoppy!

Edit - hopefully the spirerites suffer their first league defeat next saturday!

• Options

Lou, if you want I have a handy excel spreadsheet with the P&D schedules so you can compare them with the Higdon plans. I'd recommend reading the book too, though. Not sure I'd be physically capable of running the whole of the long runs at MP - the most hardcore session in P&D was 17 miles with 14 at MP and that seemed like quite enough effort. Even though I have been informed by an infrequent poster on this thread that it didn't count anyway as it was more like 'just under steady pace'. image

• Options

Lit - if you wouldn't mind sending me the schedules I would appreciate it.

I'm planning to use the HH Advanced schedules 1 or 2, depending on how I feel. They go up to about 55 miles, but aternating with c. 40 miles weeks. I might miss one of the recovery runs or substitute it with a bike session, just because   I'm getting on a bit, i mean, i think I would find 6 days running bit much.

I think HH suggests doing some of the long runs as 3/1 easy/mp, so no more than 5 miles at mp. I have the pd book -excellent read even for those not contemplating a marathon. 

Tommy - you have my sympathy. 

Richard - Great opportunity for a bit of 'dad dancing'.

• Options

Lou, if you've got the book it's just the same schedules but in breathtakingly clever interactive spreadsheet format. But if you want it then pm me your e-mail address. I promise not to use it for stalking.

• Options

Stat              Skinny       Lit           Lou       Richard    Tommy        Mace     Bob

Age                   45         31            40          43             31               47        42

Height               6'0"       5'4"          6'1"       5'10"          6'0"          5'10"     6'1"

Weight           10st 4     8st 12     11st 7    11st 0        11st 5      12st12  11st7

5k/pr              19:15      20:16       20:08      22:53        20:54       18:42  19:47

5m                 31:17      32:12       32:16      38:40        34:46           NT   33:34

10k                38:52       39:45      40:10       44:02       43:03       41:16   42:42

HM             1:29:08     1:28:26   1:29:02    1:38:46    1:41:30   1:33:54     NT

HMs 2013          1               1             2              8              1             2        0

Marathon           NT     3:06:16          NT    3:56:57    3:54:19   3:16:52     NT

• Options

Above updated for Richard's age and weight.

Training last week 41 miles including 3*2m at HMP and a 16 mile LSR.

Good drinking everyone last night - I was up at 6:30am for my 16 miler and then had a 200 mile round trip taking my daughter back to uni so Saturday was a dry night for me.

One thing I learnt on my 16 miler this morning - I'm not ready for a marathon!

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

Blimey, that looks harder than most of what I've been doing, and I'm training for 1:27ish.

Secret's out!image

• Options

Lou - Good news on the mileage. Interesting thoughts from your coach - sounds a bit hardcore on the paces! I'm much less bothered about football nowadays than I used to be. I find footballers a pretty distasteful bunch, can't relate to them, the hype and 'new football' football fans piss me off, and it's not the same since the banishing of terraces. In fact chose egg chasing over the Manc derby this afternoon, which would have been unthinkable previously.

Tommy - It was a weekend in Brussels that fired my interest in Belgian beers too funnily enough! Mate of mine who emigrated to Oz some years back was there for a conference and had the weekend after it free, so we hopped on the Eurostar to join him. Cracking weekend, and Brussels was much nicer than I was expecting - the old town is fantastic, with some brilliant bars. Are you still on for coming down to HP tomorrow evening? 6.45 meet at the Watersports Centre to run at 7.00 if you are. I'm definitely going - no reaction to yesterday and 3.5 miles at recovery pace today, so think I'm ready to tackle a 6 miler.

Richard - Sounds a good evening, hope the head was ok this morning.

Skinny - Some great training there. Good work out-stalking the stalker, where did you pick that up from?!

• Options

actually, I was being nice and helpful to some beginner runner on another thread and Skinny stalked me all over the forum. And as I was typing that post I pre-empted that by being deliberately non-specific about my goals, thinking 'I bet someone from the other thread stalks me and sees this'. So there.

• Options

image - I know you're looking for sub 1:26 reallyimage

• Options

I'm just hoping desperately for a PB. Stop undermining me.

• Options

Sorry.

Are you into taper now? Did you do a final long run on Saturday? Progressive? Sounds like you've had a good training programme and just need to get lucky with the weather on the day and not pick up one of the colds that everyone seems to have.

To make you feel better I'm a bit down in the dumps tonight - having to go for a two week taper as my ITB is playing up so just trying to get to start line now. Still able to run on it at the moment but its definitely at the top end of the amber warning zone.

In other news I also seem to be coming down with a cold.image

• Options

Well todays 6 miles easy turned into 8 miles easy, felt fairly comfortable so hopefully hip is sorted. Now have to make a final decision on Worksop HM.

Bob - will have to see about tomorrow night, have had a text today and I may need to go away with work tomorrow, will find out tomorrow morning. Glad the achilles hasn't reacted to yesterdays parkrun. Incidentally, did you see the 98.45% WAVA performance in the results for Rushcliffe yetserday? Excellent performance.

Richard - I was thinking on my run earlier, didn't you do a 37 mile ultra fairly recently? If so, surely running a marathon is a piece of piss in comparison?!

• Options

We're all rooting for you really, Lit.

Skinny - sorry to hear about the niggles and sniffles. Hope neither compromise your build up too much.

Tommy - does seem like you're really putting those hip problems behind you. And no probs re: tomorrow, will have a quick scan round for you in case you can make it anyway. I'd missed that 98%+ WAVA yesterday...wow! Digging a little deeper looks like she's the top V70 in the country. She must have been coming in around the time we were heading off on our cool down jog. Shame we missed her, though I daresay she doesn't look her age!

• Options

Ha. Pleasing to have successfully guilt-tripped you into being nice to me. I forgive you though, Skinny. And yes, my final long run on Saturday was more or less what you were (supposed to be image) doing at GNR, except by myself without the cheering crowds etc. 8 miles easy-steady, 3 miles mp, 3 miles hmp, 1 mile cool down (was supposed to be 0.5 miles but was a right bugger trying to plan a suitable route so just left it).

I don't normally get colds, although next week is the most likely week for them at work. I will protect myself by eating lots of the apples that I liberated from the orchard at work. However, *TMI alert* I may have the beginnings of PMS, though timing means I will hopefully escape the total hormone-induced insomnia that I had the night before Wilne 10k.

Look after the ITB... and what uni is your daughter at? Lots of gridlocked traffic with parents dropping off their little darlings around here today too.

• Options

LOL - I have 3 daughters so live in a world of TMI! Still I'm sure sometimes it must affect race performances - just another natural advantage us men have. Too late to mention for the Wilne 10k though - if its not in your race report its not a valid excuse! 

Glasgow - in her third year.

• Options

Well, you know, I was pleased about the PB and as I was (temporarily) faster than everyone else on the thread it would have seemed churlish to point out that I had not slept for a single minute the night before. image

• Options

So the stalker becomed the stalked...Or is it the other way round.

Excuses are coming in early this time - obviously the pressure is building.  Hope no one cracks. Hope the ITBS doesn't become a problem Skinney. Good to see that everyone else seems to be recovering.

Lit - 1:27 seems an entirely reasonable target.  Perhaps you should be a bit more ambitious. image 

Re: P&D schedules - I realised afterwards that I have them already. I think Mrs D has typed the 55mile one into excel anyway. I spent a long evening last week putting the Hal Higdon Advanced programme into Outlook.  As both Mrs D and I are doing Brighton I though it would be sensible for us to use different schedule.  Main difference is P&D midweek medium long run and HH longish MP session on Satuday. This way the kids won't get (too) neglected.

Sluggish 6 miles yesterday.  I took it easy due to unusually heavy legs, which I initially attributed to form drills on Saturday morning, but I forgot about my attempts to do pistol squats first thing Saturday, before the coaching session.  I'll have to take it easy with those - I'm still walking a bit funny today.

• Options

I don't even know what a pistol squat is. If Mrs D would like a witch-craft-like P&D spreadsheet she can programme with all her training paces and shift sessions around in, let me know. It was not built by me.

And I honestly don't have a target for the half except to try and stay comfortably ahead of my PB pace and see what happens.

• Options

Lit - I've PMed you my e-mail address.

Pistol squats are one legged squats done with you other leg stuck straight out in front.  Very tough - I had to use the door frame for support.  Last friday on this forum the was a physio q&a session and I asked about avoiding calf strains. The response was fairly vague, but mentioned one legged squats.  I do normal one legged squats fairly regularly, but google it to check on form etc and came across pistol squats, so i thought I'd give them a go.

• Options

Ouch, don't think my legs can even do that unless I cheat by bending my knee slightly. Have noted e-mail address in my stalking database. image

• Options

Hmmm - in amongst reading some very old but very amusing threads I've been researching my injury.

I was kidding myself that I knew everything but clearly I know very little. I thought runners knee, or PFP, was caused solely by ITBS and was effectively one and the same thing. On reading more it seems there are lots of causes so not sure if I have ITBS causing knee pain OR PFP of which one of the causes is ITBS and there may be others relating to my quads (which I also foam roll).

My symptoms that make me think ITBS are: similar knee pain to last year and also my left ITB definitely has a couple of nasty painful knots in it that my left doesn't have.

What makes me think PFP possibly caused by something else is that my left knee feels like there is a little hollow area in the middle of it and somebody is trapped inside it banging on the walls. It also seems to be aggravated by sitting at my desk although ITBS also is. 

In terms of my short term situation I don't think it changes much - I just need to keep my training sensible for next two weeks and hope it behaves - but think I will make a physio appointment for after race to ensure a proper diagnosis rather than my DIY version.

Perhaps pistol squats would be the answer????image