Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Welcome McFlooze image

• Options

Right lets get my post out of the way before the good stuff.

32.6 miles incl Tempo Madness and 10 mile LSR today - knee feels no worse so should survive till next week.

Mrs McFlooze Diamonds - welcome - Lit you are the Queen of Stalkers indeed!

Bob - you've beaten me to a medal - well done - in a two horse race there is always a winner and a loser - well done for being the winner and you've improved your WAVA too so good run - must be more to come though you would think.

Right my family are all out today so I had planned to do a few jobs and just wait for the race reports to come in - but it is absolutely glorious here today so I'm off for a fell walf with the dog.

Looking forward to reading the race reports when I get back - although if I have any coverage up the mountains I might be able to read them while I am out.

Cheers, Skinny

• Options

Ha, typo - a new word - 'walf' - definition: a walk with my dog Alfie.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Richard, I did indeed and thanks image

The answer for me was 1:30:25. Missed the A target by 26s but fairly happy with that and a 3+ min pb. And I'm totally fooked so we're off to lunch with the kids and will be back with a bit more detail later ....
  • Options

Well done Mace, got to be happy with a 3 minute PB. Hard luck with missing out on the A target, enjoy your recovery meal!

Bob, sounds like a bit of an odd race but well done on bringing it home in a decent time and WAVA.

• Options

Ahem. Yes, how did I get on? Will put that in the next post.

But first, well done mace - 3 mins is a massive PB at that pace.image

• Options

Okay... so when I DNF I do it with panache. image

Sadly (or perhaps fortunately) I didn't get to do the 'falling in the river and drowning' finale, thanks to the quick thinking of a very sensible spectator called Gemma, who spotted me weaving around the path like a lunatic at around 12 miles and pulled me out of the race just as I blacked out. Never fainted before, very odd. I then spent 2 and a half hours in the St John's ambulance tent, wondering why I didn't recognise my arms and legs and if I would ever be warm again. They did a splendid job.

I would have been on for a PB without the fainting fiasco, but not by much because it was really, really windy from about 6 miles. I typically overcooked the first 5 miles, and pace dropped a bit after that, but I don't think a more sensible start would have helped much because the wind really was relentless.

Anyway, am fine now, limbs look normal and not like bendy alien arms and legs, but have strained something in right foot so am limping a bit. Poor me. And what terrible timing - could have fainted after the finish instead, but that would have been too convenient. The nurse went and got me a medal though.image

• Options

Blimey Lit, that doesn't sound good at all. Glad you're feeling ok now. Maybe Take it easy for a few days now and not hang upside down on a rope?!

• Options

Just got back.

Well done Mace imageimageimage that is a great time considering that a few weeks back your public aim was sub 1:32 - and while you missed the 1:30 barrier you did break the 'barrier' of sub 7 min miling which was something I was really pleased with myself about last year.

Bet you enjoyed your dinner after that!

Lit - next post but if it takes me a while to write didn't want you to think I was ignoring your woes.

• Options

Lit - absolutely gutted for you but pleased to hear you are okay now - must have been quite scary for you in the ambulance. Will you need to go for further check ups or do they just accept it was one of those things?

I fainted once in the kitchen at home after a heavy night out - very weird sensation and happens really fast - like having no legs you just can't stop yourself going down.

Take care of yourself tonight and console yourself with the fact that whatever time you had done today will not really count after you beat it next year.

Skinny

• Options

On a lighter note here is a photo from my walf up Helm Crag with Grasmere Lake in the background.

/members/images/673230/Gallery/South_Lakeland-20130929-00081.jpg

• Options

Oh, he's beautiful! I suppose he's not into running? (or she?)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bad luck Lit, one of those disappointments out of your own hands.

All you can do is use it as motivation for next time, and remember that recording pbs isn't just about getting into your best ever shape, but having luck of conditions and everything else.

I was due to do a half marathon last Winter, and had prepped with a  physio appointment. He have me a certain stretch, which I did so much I put my back out the day before, ending up missing the race! However, pbd 3 months later to a much better extent.

That'll happen with you i'm sure.

• Options

With that backdrop even I would have a chance of looking good! Unfortunately Alfie (a he) is no good with a camera.

We tried running together but he only has a range of about 3 miles and his pacing is rubbish - if ever I want a 3 mile fartlek though (which I never do) he would love it.

• Options

I would like a beagle-border collie cross. She would come running with me and would love it.

• Options

Well, I did nearly drown. But agree I was luckier than you.

• Options

I fell off an actual trapeze onto my face once.

• Options

Lit - Ah balls, that explains why I didn't see you at just short of the 13m marker. The family was ready to give you a massive shout out too.  Whilst I didn't run the weather was fluctuating.  When you were sheltered it was warm when you weren't the wind was cold and forceful.   I guess you need to find out if there is anything underlying or just chalk it down to one of those unexplained bad days at the office. Either way take the positives out of your training and go again.image

• Options

Thanks Dean - if I'd made it to 13 miles I'm not sure what kind of shape I'd have been in! I don't think there is anything generally wrong with me but I suppose there is no harm in getting it checked out. The wind was ridiculous after 5 miles - most of the rest of the course was straight into the headwind and I felt like I was working much harder for a slower pace. Right up until the bit I don't remember, just after people started passing me in droves. image

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

I fell off an actual trapeze onto my face once.

image With my face that is something I would never dare confess!

When you say you could have drowned was there a real possibility of you fainting into the river?

• Options

Yes. I can't remember this bit, but we were running along by the river, and this woman saw me weaving dangerously, thought I might fall in, and grabbed me.

• Options

Shit, well done Gemma! I'm going to have to sign off for tonight but hopefully a good rest and your foot will feel better in the morning and today will be behind you.

• Options

Busted.  image

Mace - that's a fantastic chunk off your PB.  I always manage to miss the big barriers by 30 secs or so.  Next time you'll do it.  

Literatin - shit, that's crappy.  But glad you were rescued...thank goodness for observant crowd members.  I'd pop to the docs though and get it checked out personally.  Could be something like anaemia or low blood pressure or something but worth sorting out if so.  You'll be back on form soon am sure.  

Well, I raced instead of doing "The Infamous 3X2 Workout".  It was pretty tough.  2 mile climb in the middle slowed me down somewhat.  Plus was feeling a bit washed out from a virus last week.  In the end my job was to hold position and make sure no one from the rival club overtook me as we need points for the county Road Race League and was last race in the series.  Which I managed.  1.18ish for 10 miles, but given the hills I'm not slitting my wrists.  

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Blimey Lit that's mental, hope you're ok. Hopefully just a case that you pushed to the limit and then a bit more ( in which case you're freeking hardcore top trump image) but as has been said best to get it checked out.
  • Options

Just popped in to see how literatin (fellow thread hopper image ) got on and... image.  Sounds scary, hope it checks out OK. Take care.

• Options

Crickey, Lit.  That wasn't the report I was expecting.  Reminds me a little of an over enthusiastic weekend at the Glastonbury Festival in about 1994.  Took me more than a few days to recover, so you take it easy for a while.

literatin wrote (see)

Ha! I win at stalking. 

Er, hang on, that is a good thing, right? image

I was going to suggest that this award should, perhaps go to McFlooze, but that might sound a little churlish to take that away from you given the events of the day.

Good PB Mace. At the start of this year I managed 1:30.09 (which was a 5 min pb).  Got straight on t'internet when I got home and entered the next nearby HM a few weeks later and knocked another minute off.

Rich - those progressive runs can be hard sometimes, if its a bit windy or hilly you just can't hold the pace over that stretch.  You still get the training benefit though.

Good running today darling, I mean McFlooze, sounds like the championship is in the bag.

29 easy miles for me.  Calf still feels a bit fragile, but no pain or anything.  Probably just becoming a hypochondriac.

• Options

Hi Lit - hope you've woken up feeling okay today? 

Mace - Lit throwing herself into the crowd did extend your race report deadline but we're still expecting all the details today.

Mrs McF D - good racing although from a training interest perspective you've left us all unfulfilled by not doing the 3*2 + 1*1.

Cheers, Skinny

• Options

Morning all. Am feeling okay, but a bit groggy/queasy. Have arranged not to go into work except 4-5 (with option to cancel that, but would be a bugger to rearrange). Am looking forward to Mace's happier race report!

• Options

Pleased to hear from you - look after yourself today and hopefully tomorrow you'll be back to yourself - has Coach scheduled a 3 mile recovery run for you?image

• Options

Surprisingly enough, I am instructed not to run until I can walk without limping. I knew that already, too.