Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

It is a normal quality session, just a bit shorter.

• Options

Yeah that was just crap English from me and I couldn't go back and edit it.

Would have been better if it had read 'in comparison to the quality sessions I had done in the previous few weeks'.

• Options
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Massive dose if CNBA here. All I've done since Sunday is a 4 in about 40mins. The race seems to have really done a job on me ...
  • Options

It's one of the things that puts me off longer distance races I must admit, Mace. Seems to be not altogether uncommon. Hope it soon passes for you.

Skinny - how is't after your problems the other night? Has confidence returned for Sunday?

Have been fighting off a bug that has been afflicting almost the entire office this week, but think I've won the battle now, hopefully not famous last words! Forced myself out for a few predominantly easy miles with some hill efforts last night, turned into over 5 and a half with quite a few hill efforts in the end, followed by approaching 7 miles with the club tonight. 20 miles since Monday evening now, which is good but more than intended, so will rest tomorrow, and ponder whether to tackle a parkrun on Saturday or enjoy a rare lie in!

• Options

Big_Bad_Bob said:

Skinny - how is't after your problems the other night? Has confidence returned for Sunday?

Not really no - about a week and a half ago felt like I was getting a cold that has never arrived but I have generally felt a bit off colour since then. Still feel generally weak and I cut the 5 mile easy down to 4 last night because it was a real effort even at 8:30 pace.

Nothing to stop me getting to start line on Sunday but am very unsure what will happen when I start running at a proper speed - can only hope its taper/pre target race stuff playing its little tricks on me and race day adrenaline will temporarily cure me but...... anyway not much I can do about it but wait til Sunday.

Weather looks okay for Sunday - possibly some light drizzle but about 14 degrees and 10mph winds all sounds very runnable in.

Various niggles also seem to be benefitting from a lighter week.

So on assumption I am healthy on Sunday morning I said I would put my balls on the block time wise so here are my various targets. (HMP Training Zone 6:30-6:35)

Basic Target - sub 1:28:26 - target from start of year - by coincidence this is Lit's PB but actually it is also PB of a friend of mine - if I miss this target for whatever reason I will feel the year has been a bit of a disappointment. (6:44mm)

Training Target - I should be able to get inside 1:26:30 - this is the pace I will be aiming to start at. This would also get me down to a 5 Run Britain handicap which would make me a Category One Runner and Golfer which is one of those silly milestones I had for myself. (6:35mm)

Stretch Target - after the early part of this year I wanted to hit sub 1:27 to make 1:25 achievable next year - IF I have my A game with me on Sunday sub 1:25 is just about in range this year. (6:28mm)

Had a bit of a stressful week at work and will be stressful again today so at least the run on Sunday will release some of that stress if nothing else!

Richard - good luck for Sunday - probably see you at the start!

Cheers all, Skinny 

• Options

Well, all I can say is good luck both, and be very careful about racing when ill. Especially if you already know you are ill. And don't go too near water.

• Options

imageimage (I'm stationing Mrs Skinny at 11.5 miles with some arm bands!)

• Options

Very sensible. I have just remembered when we organised our race we weren't allowed to use the canal tow path unless we agreed to have a marshall standing on it with a life belt! We all took the piss then, but it is starting to seem a bit less like overkill now...

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Richard, Skinny - go for it and all the best to you both. Would be great to see you hit 1:35 and 1:25.

Got out in the dark and rain this morning and when i got home the postie had left me a couple of pairs of Asics DS 18 in a clown sized 11 image

And at 50g lighter than my existing ones ( despite being half a size bigger ) i'm raring to go now.

VROOOM, VROOOM ........

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Skinny - as you're just a good runner and not a competitive one image maybe you could wear the armbands from the start image

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Afternoon all, just had chance to catch up after a pretty hectic week at work.

Lit - hopefully you're feeling much better after last sunday and the foot is on the mend.

Skinny - Good luck for Sunday, hopefully you manage to fend off whatever lurgy you've got lingering over the next couple of days. Some decent looking targets you have got there!

Richard - Good luck on Sunday, I'm sure 1.35 is there for the taking for you.

Mace - sure you'll get over the CBA syndrome, I suggest getting a race booked in soonish to give you something to target?

Bob - good luck if you parkrun (1st birthday thing at Rushcliffe I think, trust you'll be running in fancy dress?!). I won't be there this week, going out with my mate tonight and no matter how hard I try not to, it always turns into a big session with him!

As for me...highest weekly mileage ever I think...1300ish (Nottingham-Whitby-Cornwall-Leeds-N Yorks-Gateshead-Nottingham), I am now even more familiar with UK motorway service stations than I ever thought I would be.

In terms of actual training, I have managed to fit in a reasonable amount of running given the amount of travelling and working (but not as much as I would like), my routes have included sections of the Cleveland Way (hilly), the South West Coastal path (hilly) and the North York Moors National Park (hilly), so all very picturesque.

Still to make a decision on Worksop, will see how the LSR goes this weekend I think.

• Options

Skinny - Hopefully just a lurch from tempo-madness to taper-madness. Good luck to you and Richard on Sunday. Your pyramid session the other day sounded promising, Richard. We want A targets...no pressure! image 

Good to see Lou able to get some quality in again. 

Mace - Nice. Sounds like you're re-mojo'd up?

Interesting point re: the canal, Lit. Any further recovery progress to report s'mornin'?

Where's Tommy?

Still undecided what do tomorrow...might start a thread. image

• Options

Ha - x-post Tommy. Commiserations with the driving, though as you say, you've at least been sent off to some great places with some good running routes. Whitby and Cornwall are two of my favourite places. Summer hols were in Cornwall this year (Fowey) and am up in Whitby in a fortnight for the Musicport festival. image

And yep, 1st birthday at Rushcliffe tomorrow, which makes it more tempting to head along. I had the idea of offering my services as a pacer for anything above 22 mins or so, but as usual with me, an idea was all it remained and I never got round to getting in touch. I guess it might attract a slightly larger field tomorrow though, particularly with Forest Rec being cancelled due to Goose Fair, so I might actually find there's a bit of competition to drag me round under that 20:00 target.

• Options

Haha, I thought you were only joking about starting a thread, Bob!

I think I might be feeling a bit better today. Still feeling (very) tired and (a bit) sick though, and cycling 15 mins to work felt like a massive effort.

• Options

Good to hear. Cycling 15 mins to work would feel like a massive effort for 90% of the population at any time. It's obviously not something you're just shrugging off though. How tired have you felt after previous HMs?

And, er no...wasn't joking! It's a question I've been repeatedly mulling over since the cricket season finished and Saturdays became available for running again, and not one I'm any closer to answering for myself. 

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Lit, not surprised at all you feel like that especially if you have any underlying illness.

Bob - the new shoes have helped  image

• Options

Not especially tired at all after previous HMs, and certainly not four days later. I don't normally factor in cycling as effort at all unless it's more than about 6 miles, which case I think 'can I really be bothered to go there?'.

• Options

Although... as a colleague helpfully pointed out yesterday, I am not getting any younger.

• Options
    Good luck guys - I suspect you will both have no problems hitting your C targets; beyond that it's just a question of how quick is too quick. HM does give you a bit of opportunity to readadjust as you go. And if you do blow up a bit it not too painful to hold on for a couple of miles.

Rich - I quite like an occasional tri and have been considering middle distance towards the end of next year, but what with work and kids and Mr D running its always massively difficult to fit be organised enough for all the training. So for the handfull of sprints I've done I've found I'm always undertrained in one or more of the disciplines. Always enjoyed them though.

Lit - glad to hear you're on the mend. You may not be getting any younger, but look at all use fine specimins. Still not reached out peaks, despite being considerably older than you.

Mace - Get out there, those shoes look far too clean.

Bob - been asking asking myself a similar question this week, so I might pop over to your thread to spout some waffly nonsense about training zones.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good luck this weekend Skinny love, smash it with all you have, with the promise that you can have at least 1 week full rest afterwards. image

• Options

To try and be tactfulimage I'm not really sure I like it when you call me 'Skinny love' Coach - this is a public forum - lets leave that stuff for our private messagesimage.

Anyway thanks for the good wishes everyone - I'll try and stay out of the river and the busy road and run a good time then shout Richard home to his PB.

Lit - sounds like you are slowly improving (actually sounds like you feel the same as me!) 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i should probably clarify that the phrase comes from a song..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNzCDt2eidg

• Options

Lit - Who is? Unless your colleague's name is Benjamin Button of course. And yes, further to Lou's comment, most of us on this thread would quite like to be only just getting acclimatised to life in our 30s again. image

Stevie / Skinny - Ha, ha. image

Lou - Thanks, think you've probably helped me make my mind up now. Well you've helped me make my mind up which is the right thing to do at least - now I just need to win the battle with my inner pup. 

• Options

That's a nice song though.

• Options

I like marmite, but I have to say I'm not hugely keen on Coldplay.

Hope Skinny and Richard are still excited about tomorrow. I'll be looking forward to reading the race reports and stalking the photos.

Meanwhile, I am spending the whole day in bed.

Bob, how was parkrun? image

• Options

Coldplay are one of my guilty pleasures. Hard to believe that is over a year ago, Richard. image I was still two months away at that point from putting one foot in front of the other out on the roads, pavements and trails for the first time in my life too!

Lit - Not been out of bed long! About to head out for a solo tempo round the rowing lake at HP.

• Options

still illimage

One advantage this seems to be giving me over Richard is I am finding it very easy to sleep.

• Options

Shit, Skinny! Contingency plan: let's all go on a trip down south and do Gosport half in November.

• Options

(Though obviously you'll be fine tomorrow, get a massive PB and not need the contingency plan)