Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

Btw, don't suppose anyone wants a Goose Fair Gallop entry?

• Options

Is that part of the Turkey Trot series?

I presume there must be a Chicken Run as well?

• Options

All the best races are named after poultry.

• Options

Skinny - Fingers crossed with the weather for your HM, still looks ok at the moment, though seems you're into fully blown hypochondriac mode! I watched quite a bit of that Wainwright's Walks series BTW - and Alfie gorging himself on sheep poo gave a nice mental image! Those old C4 days were when I got into NFL too - about 1984/5 was when it started I believe, so nearly 30 years rather than your estimate of 20! Lost a bit of interest when the rights went to Sky, and rediscovered it again once I had Sky myself. I'm now more likely to sit down to watch NFL on a Sunday evening than I am our football on a Sunday afternoon. And yes, was an excellent event (second time I've been to this one at Wembley), though as the driver I only had a couple of beers before the game started. Was a very entertaining game, Vikings beat Steelers 34-27, and it wasn't until a Roethlisberger fumble on 3rd and Goal with less than 10 seconds on the clock that the game was decided. Good fun.

Mace - Ouch. I'm a full size up (after fitting at Sweatshop) on the first running shoes I bought myself off the shelf, and they're far larger than I'd have chosen personally. I had one toenail drop off, and some bleeding other toes from the damage from the first pair, but haven't had any bother at all since, so guess 'Sweatshop Guy' was right. Hope the quads and the toes allow you to get back out there soon - I'm also crap with the pins by the way, and without the excuse of recovering from attempted self-dismemberment. image

And yes, got myself out for 7.4 miles last night thanks, with no bother from the tendon and it felt fine throughout CV wise, though the legs were feeling on the heavy side over the last mile. Nice and steady at a fairly even 8:20 pace. All ok today though think I might be fighting off the cold bug that's going round the Village of the Damned (aka our offices), and am beginning to feel a bit grotty which might curtail the original plan for another 4 or 5 miles tonight. Grrr.

Lit - Glad you're feeling ok generally, but good to be on the safe side with the tests. Let's hope that foot is just the bruising you suspect.

• Options

Tunbridge Wells? Better watch this before you go as research.

• Options

Oops, sorry, training: I (and perhaps also Skinny) did 3x 1 mile HMP off 2 mins.

• Options

Bear in mind I speak as not only the least experienced runner on the thread, but have also never done a Half Marathon, so take this with a pinch of salt perhaps Richard (!), but that looks just a touch high volume to me.

If it were me, from what I've picked up over recent months, I think I'd go 4 x 1k off 2 minutes, or 3 x 1 mile off 2 and a half - bit of extra recovery for the longer rep.

• Options

Actually meant 5 x 1k, though I see Lit has nipped in there with some more informed advice anyway - I'd listen to her...I don't think wobbly legs and blackouts are guaranteed.

(Sorry, Lit.)

P.S. Has the Edit facility vanished?

• Options

Yes. We all have to think before we post now. image

• Options

Anyway, I don't remember having wobbly legs, so it didn't happen.

• Options

Harrumph. How silly - there's invariably a typo I don't spot until after I've hit 'Submit Reply' and had a quick scan back through.

Now many of my posts will look like...those of certain other posters from elsewhere on the forum.

• Options

I've done something like: Tues 8x400m; Thurs  2M@HMP

• Options

My week looks like this (I'm sure Lit's will have looked similar)

Mon Rest, Tues (to do still) 3m WU, 5* strides, 3*1m @HMP off 2 min rec, WD,

Wed 3m Rec, Thurs 5m Easy, Fri Rest, Sat 5m easy incl Strides * 5.

Then Sunday 2m WU (depending on weather this might become 1.2 which is distance from my house to start).

• Options

Mine was the same except with an extra mile on Weds & Thurs and a rope class. image

I managed 1 mile of warm-up and a wee in some bushes.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sometimes I appreciate that time and other reasons make the standard warm up tricky to fit in, but a mere 1mile warm up is undercooking it.

• Options

I know. Only my decision to abandon the toilet queues and go and warm up instead gave me enough time to do even that. It was ridiculous how few loos there were for the number of runners. I did walk for 20 mins to get to the race site first though.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Quote Skinny :

"Is it improving as expected?"

Very well, thanks. Except for pinning image

Mace Said:

she pointed out she could do a better job and i stubbornly refused her help.

imageimage Hmmm - was that conversation mentioned again at the end of the race??

You just know the answer to that ....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Mace, I have to say, if Skinny or Lit came to a complete stop within a pb attempt to mess about with their race number i'd be having words! image

• Options

I probably wouldn't admit to it in public!

e.g. 'I was messing around with my race number, didn't look where I was going, ran into a tree, was knocked unconscious...'. Not that that happened or anything.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Stevie - the pb was well in the bag image

There's a bit of a story actually which i wasn't going to bore the thread with but this was my first ever race last year and when i finished my name and number wasn't announced as i crossed the line ( pretty much everyone elses was according to my wife and family ).

So this year my youngest said before the start " Dad, i hope they don't miss you this year like they did last year " So with my number flapped down he would be disappointed again which was my sole motivation for pinning it back on.

I remember very little of the finish but apparently the announcer said, as i approached the line " ... and here comes number 479 (me) which is, err, ummm .... followed by number ... "  image

Fortunately my nipper was frantically trying to shovel bananas and water down my neck to notice. image

• Options

mace - once as I finished a race the announcer said (in bored, cynical tone):
    'Oh, come on (insert literatin's real name here), get a move on!'

• Options

*quickly makes extra notes for Sunday*

1) run 2 mile warm up as prescribed

2) attach number securely (get wife to help if necessary)

• Options

Richard said: 

Lit - is that similar to the tree falling in the wood and not making a sound...not comparing you to a tree though!

Well - she did go a bit spinney. image

Anyway, seems like the conclusion has been drawn that this was all down to poor toilet provisions and a crap warmup right? 

• Options

image Oh dear - 3m wu, strides * 5, 1m at HMP 6:37 (so a touch slow), 2min recovery then it all went tits up.

Griping stomach pains about 0.3 miles into next rep, pushed on a bit mindful of the quitting a session conversation, whole left side of my body then kind of cramps up and slow to a jog - stomach doesn't get any better, jog home.

Not really a confidence booster but then again I can't have just become a worse runner overnight.

So I'm blaming the rich stew I had for tea and will forget this run and move on - stomach still cramping now - not good

• Options

Ouch! Do you normally have your tea before a session?

• Options

Wouldn't call that sort of bailing of a session a quit, Skinny. Sounds unpleasant, but whether it's the stew, or a bug of some description (plenty of the buggers about at the moment), I'm sure it will be long forgotten and of no consequence by the time you toe the line on Sunday.

• Options

I would put that down to eating before running.  I've had similar problems when I've been busy at work, so eaten my sandwiches then run mid afternoon.  I don't think I've ever tried running after tea as I'd be certain of similar happening.

• Options

And, I've just entered Bedford Half on 8th Dec (Turkey Trot was full).  Two months to (hopefully) get back up to my previous standard and join in with the pb smashing fun.

After two weeks of easy running I decided to push it on a bit tonight and did 10 with 5 at 85% MHR which, on a undulating course, ranged from 7:16 to 8:02 m/m.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

like the chaps (and chappesses) say Skinny, simply sounds a timing/food stuff thing.

My word, the trouble I've had in the past on that score....

• Options

Thanks for kind words - stomach still a little iffy this morning but will cross fingers.

Quite philosophical about it really. If I'm ill I'm ill, nothing I can do about it. If I'm not fit enough then I'm not fit enough (I am though!), but training is in the bank and nothing I can do about that either.

So, like everyone else before an A target race just have to see what pans out over next 4 or 5 days now........

PS Lit - I try not to but life is full of compromises - got home late and nice tea waiting plus I think I probably didn't treat the session with enough respect - just thought I could go out and do it easily as it was nothing in comparison to a normal quality session - a good lesson for me.