Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

Well done Bobimage - always good to hit a season's target - sounds like conditions weren't ideal either.

• Options

Well done Bob and Lou! I did a wet, muddy cross-country race in road shoes once too. One of two experiences that encouraged me to buy my first pair of trail shoes. image

• Options
    Well done Bob what park run was it? Well done tommy too great time.

My garmin forerunner 205 just recently died where it would not turn on after charging. Tried all the tips on the internet to get it working but still dead. Emailed garmin and they gave me a series of steps to follow including erasing all the data and low and behold it now works!! And it finds the sattelites very quickly as well. Very chuffed with that and saved me ??200 on the 610 i was about to buy.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Richard, sounds like a tough day out but seems like you enjoyed it which is good. Sounds like you need a bit of a break to sort out your various aches and pains?

Well done on the relays McF - sounds like there was a lot of speedy people there.

Nice one on the last minute 10K Lou, seems like you are fully recovered now, decent time as well. Enjoyed your report as well, I did a wolf run (http://www.thewolfrun.com/) a couple of years ago whilst wearing some knackered old trainers with little/no grip and fell over a few times running down the muddy slopes.

Bob, good work on the parkrun especially given the weather conditions, will have a look at the other thread for a full report.

Chris, I've had similar problems with my my Garmin forerunner 210, it seems to happen if I haven't pressed 'reset' before connecting my watch to Garmin connect.

Was a bit pushed for time yesterday so my LSR was only 8 miles and was more steady than slow, mainly due to the grim weather and realising halfway round that the pair of £3 running shorts I purchased from Sports Direct when on my tour of Britain a couple of weeks ago are fairly see-through when they get wet. The pace felt fairly comfortable though, which I was pleased with, especially as I'd been to the Nottingham beer festival on Saturday night.     

• Options

Oops. Here is a tip for shorts that go see-through when wet (in no way derived from experience): when running with a club, if you notice your shorts have become see-through, do not yell 'OH NO MY SHORTS HAVE GONE ALL SEE-THROUGH!'. It tends to draw attention to it.

Richard, how is achilles now? Reading back it sounds like that was the first sign of any problems?

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

imageBob's parkrun

Good relay McF

Decent 10k there, Lou, on what sounds like a toughish course.

"OH NO MY SHORTS HAVE GONE ALL SEE-THROUGH" ... i can't stop chuckling at that image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Oh, a new face ... welcome Chris

• Options

Thanks Mace. Yes I stumbled across this thread whilst posting my own thread asking for some advice on a sub 01:35 for Half Marathon. Someone called "weekender" told me to check out "overdone it" at first I thought it was a book so was searching on Amazon for it Lol! then they explained it was a thread on RW. It was certainly a good hours read but well worth it. I'm really motivated to do a sub 01:35 and then maybe try for a 01:30 but will see.

• Options

Hello all just wondered if I could pick your brains. I read the below article and the journalist reckons that a fast start for Birmingham is key. The reason for this is that the  first mile is downhill and then as you get from miles 10 to the finish its more uphill. What I have read and from my own experience is that if you go out to fast you burn your glycogen stores and burn out and possibly hit the wall. This has happened to me but this was more due to fact that I went out fast and tried to maintain that pace. This was when I was less experienced. I know tend to try and run a negative split as this is how I have achieved my best times.

Just wondered if anyone had tried running the first 1mile downhill of a race first and then settling down into race pace. I always like to try and finish the race strong as well so would not want to burn out.

Any thoughts?

• Options

I personally am not convinced that legging it as fast as you can down the first hill is the best strategy, but I think you should just do it by feel. Start at what feels like your planned race pace, and if the first mile comes out a bit quick don't worry too much about it and just try to get back on target in the next miles. I don't think you should run out of glycogen unless you haven't eaten enough food all week.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Chris, the wall is more a marathon term, where you just completely run out of energy.

Shouldn't be any of the sort in a half marathon.

Goodness, unless it's a hot day I don't even take water on in a half these days!

• Options

Lit yeah I tend to agree I may just stick with my race pace and go from there. Those last few uphill miles are tough and you can be bang on race pace but the hills can slowly start taking seconds of your race pace. So I can sort of see what the journalist is saying but I still think I could end up paying for it if I start to fast.

Stevie not sure if I have hit the wall in a half marathon. I have done a half marathon though where I had to stop as I was so knackered admittedly it was a hot day and I think I went off to fast.image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Use that as your lesson for Birmingham then Chris.

I always think you need to be on target pace by the end of mile 2. A fast start is inevitable, although with experience you can control that a bit.

• Options

Just like you do, you mean, SG? image

• Options

Greetings from Paris airport!

Interesting chat - I do something different that I do practice in training. 

I allow myself to run freely down the hills allowing gravity to take over; I don't push the pace so I could run faster but I don't use up energy keeping my pace slower than gravity wants me to go.

I make sure I slow back to race pace on the flat.

Uphill I push hard to maintain race pace if I can

This tends to leave me ahead of race pace for most of run and its a question of whether or not I can make it to the end of race - but this is a technique I use in training so I would be nervous to recommend for a race if you've never run like this before.

• Options

PS Particularly if there are some nasty hills at the end!

• Options

There are two airports in Paris. The other one is marginally less hellish.

I suppose that is not that different to what I meant really - i.e. not to put extra effort into running fast down the hill, but not to worry if gravity leads to a faster first mile split either. I wouldn't do what the man in the article suggests though (except the warm-up).

• Options

I try to maintain 'even effort' up and down hill. 

I once tried applying a bit of science to it (like what they do in the shampoo ads) and decided that hills approximated +- 1s/m rise or fall. So if the first mile falls 20m, run it 20s/mile quicker than target pace.

BUT... in a race you're probably better off running it at whatever pace feels comfortable then readjusting later.

• Options

LIt - my boss tells me the other terminal is the hell like one.

My meeting tomorrow on the other hand...................

• Options

ok cheers guys some interesting points. I think I'm just looking at a quick fix for a better time. Its one of the best turn outs for our small running club in Birmingham. Historically I have been one of the fastest but I think I need to let that go and remind myself that I signed up for this race to get motivated again. Next year hopefully I can start climbing the leader board if I can achieve a sub 01:35 then this maybe one of the quickest half marathons in the club.

In recent times I have found the negative split has worked well for me. I don't have a problem starting the race slightly of race pace and not getting carried away with all the excitement. Even though a few people may go past you at the start its more rewarding finishing strong and passing people in the last few miles image

• Options

Hello all.

Skinny - Hope the Paris trip doesn't prove to be as bad as it's been painted! Have you actually run at all since the Half?

Chesterfield - I've had a few nights out in 'Chez Vegas' - and the Beach Bar was indeed one of the delights I was introduced to by the locals I was visiting. Chez seemed a good spot for a deconstructed night out with the boys...if you like that sort of thing, Richard! image Hope the problems from the Coniston race are sorting themselves out, but sounds like you enjoyed it regardless.

McFlooze - The standard did look very hot at the National Relays, I was browsing through the men's times, and it looked unbelievable. Presumably your team had to qualify? If the ladies' standard was similar, then that qualification would have been no small feat in itself. Great event to be part of I would think.

Chris - Looks like you're in a similar mix for a Brum Half time as a mate of mine that I did a training run with after my parkrun at Cannon Hill on Saturday. We included the infamous Charlotte Road hill that comes in at the back end of the race. Having done it on tired legs myself (I was about 9 miles in for the day by the time we began the ascent), make sure you save a bit would be my advice! We followed the race route for all of its climb at that point - I have a link from our run that illustrates the profile you'll be facing if you wanted to have a gander?

Enjoyed your report, Lou. And a very solid effort on comeback, particularly given the enforced shoe choice!

Also chuckling at Tommy and Lit with the transparent shorts issue. Any decision on Worksop yet, Tommy?

Just to give an idea of conditions in Brum on Saturday AM, here's how one chap chose to tackle them!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2834/10247057316_9bd4c5e3ee_n.jpg

I don't even seem to be enjoying it as much as him (see below link - dark blue top, red stripe) and my form looks appalling...though I did save myself the embarrassment of being beaten by 'buggy man' in the end! image

<a href='Hello%20all.%20%20Chesterfield%20-%20I've%20had%20a%20few%20nights%20out%20in%20'Chez%20Vegas'%20-%20and%20the%20Beach%20Bar%20was%20indeed%20one%20of%20the%20delights%20I%20was%20introduced%20to%20by%20the%20locals.%20Chez%20seemed%20a%20good%20spot%20for%20a%20deconstructed%20night%20out%20with%20the%20boys...if%20you%20like%20that%20sort%20of%20thing,%20Richard!%20Hope%20the%20problems%20from%20the%20Coniston%20race%20are%20sorting%20themselves%20out,%20but%20sounds%20like%20you%20enjoyed%20it%20regardless.%20%20McFlooze%20-%20The%20standard%20did%20look%20very%20hot%20at%20the%20National%20Relays,%20I%20was%20browsing%20through%20the%20men's%20times,%20and%20it%20looked%20unbelievable.%20Presumably%20your%20team%20had%20to%20qualify?%20If%20the%20ladies'%20standard%20was%20similar,%20then%20that%20qualification%20would%20have%20been%20no%20small%20feat%20in%20itself.%20%20Chris%20-%20Looks%20like%20you're%20in%20a%20similar%20mix%20for%20a%20Brum%20Half%20time%20as%20a%20mate%20of%20mine%20that%20I%20did%20a%20training%20run%20with%20after%20my%20parkrun%20at%20Cannon%20Hill%20on%20Saturday.%20We%20included%20the%20infamous%20Charlotte%20Road%20hill%20that%20comes%20in%20at%20the%20back%20end%20of%20the%20race.%20Having%20done%20it%20on%20tired%20legs%20myself%20(I%20was%20about%209%20miles%20in%20for%20the%20day%20by%20the%20time%20we%20began%20the%20ascent),%20make%20sure%20you%20save%20a%20bit%20would%20be%20my%20advice!%20We%20followed%20the%20race%20

• Options

P.S. Lit - Any confirmation from test results yet?

• Options

Oh FFS. The forum appears to be broken again. And still no edit function.

Try again with the missing bits - Buggy Man and I: -

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5460/10246917823_2f69cd4589_b.jpg

Got 6 miles in last night to take me up to 22.5 since Saturday AM, so resting up today, but trying to work out how I can fit both a tempo and a long run in before Friday afternoon as I'll then not be able to run again before Monday. Might have to drag myself out of bed at daft o'clock tomorrow to get the tempo in.

• Options
  • Options

x-post - that baby looks nearly as miserable as you do, Bob.

• Options

Indeed! Poor little sod. Cold, dark, blustery, misty rain is not the ideal conditions to be pushed round uncovered for 20 minutes. I believe I overheard 'words' being exchanged as I closed the gap and eventually passed them!

• Options

Why is his Dad pulling a wheelie?  

• Options

I bet his Missus was cross about him forgetting the rain cover.  

• Options

McFlooze - I found myself pondering the very same at the time!